KSBE to sell farmland to developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KSBE to sell farmland to developer

It's strangely ironic to me that KSBE and Bishop Estate, who are the caretakers of the crown lands, are actually putting business and profits before the needs of the people of Hawai'i by agreeing to sell 87 acres of farmland to a developer.

At a time when Hawai'i needs to start thinking about being able to sustain its population with more locally grown food, KSBE wants to turn the farmland, which is currently being used by small farmers into more houses in Hawai'i Kai.

"...Kamehameha Schools plans to honor its deal with a developer who wants to turn Kamilonui Valley farms into house lots as long as the developer meets certain benchmarks written into the contract, a representative of the land trust told a community meeting Tuesday night that drew more than 100 people.

At issue are farm lots leased to the Kamilonui Farmers Cooperative, a group of mostly elderly farmers who were located at the back of Hawai'i Kai on leased land some 30 years ago by Henry J Kaiser, the original developer of Hawai'i Kai. Some of these farmers want to retire, but only have a few years of fixed lease rent left on their farms and cannot sell them.

The land trust says the land is not making enough revenue from farming and will most likely be sold because it does not meet the five mandates of the trust over its land holdings: cultural, economic, environmental, educational or community capacity for Native Hawaiians..."

It's not like KSBE really needs the money they would get from the developer. But I'm not sure that it's proper stewardship of the land to want to develop it in this way.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: KSBE to sell farmland to developer

Kamilonui Valley was one of the last bastions of rural life on the island, hidden way back behind Hawaii Kai where tourists (and very few locals) even knew it existed, especially since you hve to drive through a residential neighborhood and then know exactly which unmarked side street to take.
    I used to go there all the time, and having watched these new plans for the area for a while, I'm greatly saddened.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Seems the solution may be making Hawaiian farmland more profitable as farmland now so it will not be sold off.Unfortunatly thats a problem on the mainland too.

Comment

This issue has been simmering for years.
        • Most of the farmers are old, and want to cash out and retire.
        • Their kids aren't interested in continuing to farm.
        • The City's long-range Development Plan for the area states their intent to keep the area in agriculture at least through the time frame of the Plan (i.e. up to 2020):

3.1.3.2 Agricultural Areas
        The physical and economic conditions of East Honolulu preclude large-scale agricultural operations. There are, however, two concentrations of small-scale agricultural operations -- the larger one in Kamilonui Valley and the other above Kaiser High School on the slopes of Koko Crater -- which are expected to remain, and should be preserved as being consistent with the overall community vision underlying this Plan. In both areas, individual farm lots on long-term leases are used for nursery and vegetable production and remain commercially viable by serving a mostly East Honolulu market.

(East Honolulu Development Plan for the City & County of Honolulu)
        So in order to get this project to go through, the City Council would have to approve a change to the Development Plan and rezone the area from agricultural to urban.

Comment

I know that 87 acres is not really big but why don't they build another school and educate more Hawaiians?...like all the ones living in "Nalo"...would be close for them. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
            I know that 87 acres is not really big but why don't they build another school and educate more Hawaiians?...like all the ones living in "Nalo"...would be close for them. Just a thought.
            Well, for comparison, here are a few school campus sizes...

‘Iolani School: 25 acres
            Farrington High: 26 acres
            McKinley High: 55 acres
            Punahou School: 76 acres
            Kamehameha's Maui campus: 180 acres
            Kamehameha's Kapālama campus: 600 acres

Comment

Okay, 87 acres is really big, so build a big campus have K-12. Then maybe DOE get some slack and can allot more money to various public schools. I dunno.

Comment

Working...
              X