PDA

View Full Version : What is your "COMFORT" food?

alohabear
September 23rd, 2005, 06:08 AM
While watching a show on "comfort foods" (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_tp/episode/0,,FOOD_9998_23013,00.html) on the Foodnetwork, I thought it would be interesting to know what local foods make people feel good.

Alohabear likes a 4 choice chinese plate with half fried rice/ half noodles(BTW..in Hilo, ALL the chinese takeout places offer this!) Kau Yuk, Oyster Chicken,Sweet Sour Spareribs, and Mongolian Beef with Vegetables.

This treat I eat maybe once a month when I need a little "Comfort". :p

TurquoiseDuck
September 23rd, 2005, 07:26 AM
Dinaguan and rice.

Don't know how to spell it, just know how to eat it.

D'Alani
September 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM
Bowl of rice, three eggs over easy, shoyu, ketchup, mix it all up, with some crispy spam on the side. That's what I just had for breakfast, so ono.

pzarquon
September 23rd, 2005, 07:42 AM
Breakfast dishes tend to be comforting to me. Waffles with more butter than syrup, corned beef hash, eggs. Loco mocos, too. Left to my own devices, I could eat a whole pig's worth of char siu in one sitting! And snack wise, I gravitate toward salty stuff (not good for my blood pressure).

Man, I'm hungry. And it ain't even 8 a.m.!

kimo55
September 23rd, 2005, 08:13 AM
well, I sure as heck ain't a gonna eat any food that makes me uncomfortable!

Glen Miyashiro
September 23rd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Miso soup with tofu and rice and an egg swirled in.

Fondoo2
September 23rd, 2005, 08:36 AM
sugar massive amounts of sugar,the proceeding stomach ache makes me forget the reason I needed conforting to begin with

lurkah
September 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
Chocolate-covered macadamia nuts, which taste even better if they're from my secret, hidden stash.

AbsolutChaos
September 23rd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Bread pudding (gotta be the right kind and the right consistency)...

...either that or Mac n' cheese with hot salsa, green tabasco, Taco Bell fire sauce, and sour cream....

or

iron-skillet cornbread (not the sweet kind) or stuffing

Albert
September 23rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Hot roast beef sandwich, mashed potatoes and gravy. Likelike Drive-In provides a prime version.

jdub
September 23rd, 2005, 10:11 AM
my mom's baked barbeque spare-ribs with artery clogging-fettucini and radicchio vinaigrette!

kevin_jay
September 23rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
:)
ICE CREAM any flavor any brand..that's my comfort food.

LikaNui
September 23rd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Meat loaf.
Just good old-fashioned meat loaf.

lavagal
September 23rd, 2005, 10:18 AM
I make this incredible beef stew served over red/white/blue mashers: red potatoes mixed with blue cheese. Incredible! But it's too hot for that today. I love a wonderful bowl of pho. But a good breakfast from Aikane Cafe near CompUSA downtown does me good: two eggs over easy with Spam, one scoop rice, one scoop mac. I eat it maybe once a year. More than that and it would kill me.
Right now I would be comforted by a wonderful mojito. But it's only 10:19 a.m. I just got through with Pilates and I'm expected at work in a few. So I'll save the libations for later. Does it have to be so hot?

kimo55
September 23rd, 2005, 10:20 AM
Right now I would be comforted by a wonderful mojito. But it's only 10:19 a.m. I just got through with Pilates and I'm expected at work in a few. So I'll save the libations for later. Does it have to be so hot?

no, why. do you usually put cayenne in yer mojito?!

Lalalinder
September 23rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
homemade chicken enchiladas verde.

lavagal
September 23rd, 2005, 09:24 PM
no, why. do you usually put cayenne in yer mojito?!

No, but I do have three lime trees and an incredible amount of mint growing in the back yard. Haven't found a rum tree yet, though!
@:)

helen
September 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM
It varies, sometimes a Jumbo Jack will do, sometimes BBQ Chicken plate lunch.

U'ilani
September 24th, 2005, 09:58 AM
McDonald's pancakes & sausage breakfast; spaghetti (made the local way with American cheese); tuna and poi; a hot fudge sundae from the Haagen Daz store.

Donna
September 24th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Mom's Turkey Jook, only made after Thanksgiving. My once a year comfort food.

Other than that, Glenn Miyashiro had the same idea I had: Miso soup with tofu with an egg stirred in. :) Exactly how I make it. I eat this simple concoction nearly every day.

Basically, any kind of soup is my comfort food, but those are my favorites.

1stwahine
September 24th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Moseja, eggs over hot rice, kim chee and shoyu! All bad for me now...(I got one left moseja) in the freezer.

Auntie Lynn

MadAzza
September 24th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy. (Zippy's will suffice.)

Macaroni and cheese.

Fried eggs, grits and bacon, but my mom has to cook it.

(This could also be in the "three things I'm thankful for" thread.)

cezanne
September 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM
My mom's fried chicken with my wife's garlic mashed potatoes... usually a given at family gatherings. Snack-wise I like Doritos, and also like to munch on carrot sticks.

Mokihana
September 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Malasadas!

lavagal
September 24th, 2005, 08:19 PM
...spaghetti (made the local way with American cheese); ...

OK. What is this? I'm not sure I would like it but I have an open mind and am eager to learn what it is. Uilani?

junebloom
September 25th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Barbecue Potatoe Chips and Reeses Peanutbutter Cups,
Okay and an occasional Chocolate Chip cookie or two.........

D'Alani
September 25th, 2005, 10:24 AM
OK. What is this? I'm not sure I would like it but I have an open mind and am eager to learn what it is. Uilani?

The local style means it's baked with cheese on top. Everything is mixed, the noodles,sauce, ground beef, put it in a pan and bake da buggah...like how they used to serve at school. I think that's what she talking about.

kimo55
September 25th, 2005, 10:54 AM
oh gawd that does sound good. i remember our schools doin it that way. Kailua, central and then McKinley

lurkah
September 25th, 2005, 11:57 AM
The local style means it's baked with cheese on top. Everything is mixed, the noodles,sauce, ground beef, put it in a pan and bake da buggah...like how they used to serve at school. I think that's what she talking about.

Yeah, and the layer of cheese over the spaghetti is verry thick and melted and so ono.

Which reminds me of another comfort food from elementary school time -- buttery and moist mama-san-style shortbread cookies. :p

cezanne
September 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM
*drooling*...and it wasn't even parmesan cheese on top... I think it was more like cheddar.

helen
September 26th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I forgot to add a sub sandwich, pastrami is the first choice, followed by turkey.

tiptoetulip
September 26th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Breakfast foods (I love making homemade hash browns)
Chocolate-covered almonds
Hershey's milk chocolate bars (also milk choc. with almonds)
Zippy's chili with rice (and cheese and onions)

alohabear
September 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Breakfast foods (I love making homemade hash browns)
Chocolate-covered almonds
Hershey's milk chocolate bars (also milk choc. with almonds)
Zippy's chili with rice (and cheese and onions)
Not being from O'ahu... What the deal on Zippy's Chili? I mean everyone seems to rave about it. I tasted it and didn't care for it. :confused:

Oh , But Hershey bars make me feel good too! :p

helen
September 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM
I guess it's an Oahu thing, sort of like Loco Moco to Hilo (or the Big Island) or saimin to Kauai.

Miulang
September 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I guess it's an Oahu thing, sort of like Loco Moco to Hilo (or the Big Island) or saimin to Kauai.
Or Komoda cream puffs or Tasaka guri guri on Maui!

Miulang

tiptoetulip
September 27th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Not being from O'ahu... What the deal on Zippy's Chili? I mean everyone seems to rave about it. I tasted it and didn't care for it. :confused:
Yes, must be an Oahu thing. What I have noticed, though, is that I like some Zippy's chili better than others. I once bought zipmeal chili (buy in a bigger container to take home) from Kailua and found it to be more spicy than others. I don't know what the deal was with that.

AuntieNellieKulolo
September 28th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Saimin with a raw egg mixed in and Spam.
Baked mac 'n' cheese with crumbled saltines on top, like my mom makes.
Baked cheese enchiladas.
Samosa chaat.
M&M McFlurrys.

pinakboy
October 3rd, 2005, 10:53 AM
homemade braised beef brisket with tendon simmered 6 hours in master sauce cantonese style with cold white rice!!

homemade tinfoil laulau weighing in at 2lbs and a foot long with cold white rice plus da tabasco and shoyu!! :D

Leo Lakio
October 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............
My Kane`ohe sweetie makes the stove-top variation (just without the baking step) with elbow macaroni, sauce, ground beef, shredded cheddar --- and she calls it her "Mom's mac & cheese," so I won't confuse it with the yellow stuff. Funny, but I grew up calling that "goulash" (which I know is something different altogether.)

Glen Miyashiro
October 31st, 2005, 08:00 AM
homemade tinfoil laulau weighing in at 2lbs and a foot long with cold white rice plus da tabasco and shoyu!! :DBetter than poi, better than pig. Pinakboy's laulau, frickin big. :D

Reny
November 8th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I canít get enough of spam musubi with kim chee. I have a special way of making my musubi and its gotta be homemade kim chee.

Canít eat this too often or else :eek:

Leo Lakio
November 9th, 2005, 06:57 AM
its gotta be homemade kim chee.
My kumu hula has recently gotten into making her own kim chee - extra-extra spicy! It's fantastic.

Glen Miyashiro
November 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM
My kumu hula has recently gotten into making her own kim chee - extra-extra spicy! It's fantastic.I was in that Korean market in the Kapālama Shopping Center on Dillingham, and they were selling 5-pound plastic bags full of red chili powder, the kind that goes into kim chee. Wow! I'd never seen bags like that before.

i-hungry
November 9th, 2005, 11:00 AM

I don't know. I'm born and raised in Oahu but I don't think their chili is good. its alright but there are so many other chili that is better.

Same goes with S&S saimen. So many other better choices out there even if you are limited to Honolulu or home cooking.

Hope no one is offended though. Its not meant to speak badly of your fondness of a specific food.

Maybe its more of a sentimental thing like Kikaida? Great memories but you realize what it lacks in retrospect.

Leo Lakio
November 9th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Maybe its more of a sentimental thing like Kikaida? Great memories but you realize what it lacks in retrospect.
Yeah - in retrospect, Kikaida made crappy chili... :p

Pomai
November 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah - in retrospect, Kikaida made crappy chili..Yeah.. Mechanical monster parts just don't taste that good. Even with a little grease on it :D

I take Authentic Tokyo style Ramen over local style Saimin any day. But S&S works too.

Zippy's Chili likely got most of its hype from aggressive advertising and fundraising campaigns throughout the years. The company's reputation for quality control and consistency also helped establish it as a respectable, reliable brand.

Try The Shack's Bowl O' Chili & Rice (http://www.shackhawaiikai.com/menu.html#Anchor-APPETIZERS-3800)... awesome! ;)

AuntieNellieKulolo
November 10th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah.. Mechanical monster parts just don't taste that good. Even with a little grease on it :D

I take Authentic Tokyo style Ramen over local style Saimin any day. But S&S works too.

Zippy's Chili likely got most of its hype from aggressive advertising and fundraising campaigns throughout the years. The company's reputation for quality control and consistency also helped establish it as a respectable, reliable brand.

Try The Shack's Bowl O' Chili & Rice (http://www.shackhawaiikai.com/menu.html#Anchor-APPETIZERS-3800)... awesome! ;)

I always thought Manoa Gardens at UH made pretty awesome chili. It was spicier and more 'homemade' tasting than Zippy's. I remember when I was there ('85-'90) a big cup of chili and rice cost a buck and change and filled me up until dinner - best deal on campus! MG's nachos were broke da mout' too-one of the few places to use real cheese instead of 'cheeze'. :)

Reny
November 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM
My kumu hula has recently gotten into making her own kim chee - extra-extra spicy! It's fantastic.

Now I don't know what I want more at the moment. Kumu's kim chee or chili (not from Zippys) :rolleyes:

cezanne
November 10th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I think you can make any chili Zippy's chili by adding a dollop of mayo in your bowl of chili and mixing it up real good... to me you can anyway.

HaolewaiianGirl
November 14th, 2005, 05:24 AM
I have one quick comfort food, and one I have to work for.
Spam musubi is the quick one.
The other one is a yugoslavian family dish called sarma. It takes months to prep for. Its pickled cabbage leaves stuffed with beef, onion, garlic, and rice, and simmered in a light tomato based broth. mmmmmmm... Takes forever cuz I pickle the cabbage myself. That takes a few months. Then stuffing the cabbage leaves. Then you simmer it for several hours. I love it soo much though. Its worth the work. :)

tutusue
November 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM
I think you can make any chili Zippy's chili by adding a dollop of mayo in your bowl of chili and mixing it up real good... to me you can anyway.
My dad made a great chili that I remember from small kid days. He always added a dollop of sour cream on top. Soooo good!

Adri
March 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM
If I'm sick, zosui (I'm not sure if that's how to spell it). It's a rice gruel with egg and chives and dashi.

MadAzza
March 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM
My comfort food (one of them) is Stouffer's Turkey Tetrazzini. We go way back.

And the microwave oven just pinged.

Erika Engle
April 2nd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Gyoza!

(and PLEASE don't say GOY-za ... that drives me nuts).

Next to what my mom used to make, Ezogiku's gyoza is my favorite. I get two orders of jumbo gyoza, a side of rice and I'm happy (I'm also NOT going to share).

I can't list all my comfort foods here -- neither can you, probably -- out of courtesy to other readers/posters ... but MadAzza's Stouffer's post reminded me of their spinach souffle. I loved it as a kid, I love it now. I only buy it on sale, which is far too rarely. The microwave preparation just doesn't work for me, either. It's conventional oven all the way -- so might as well make two! One for the four kids, one for Mommy to eat all by herself! (Sensing a theme, here?) Actually, I've never done that, but I HAVE thought about it. :o

kilikopela
April 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM
cheese pizza
or ultmate cheese burger with buttermilk sauce. gotta love the feeling of my arteries clogging.

newroots
April 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Creamy stuff like bologna and cheese with extra mayo to make the cheese sticky and bread soggy.. And salty sour stuff like kadon pika

MixedPlateBroker
November 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Corned beef hash, eggs o/e and rice
Vin d'alhos omelette w/buttermilk pancakes
Kim chee (real kine, not Hamms:p) fried rice loco moco, gravy all ova
Pork laulau, opihi, fresh poi and lomi salmon
Steamed whole Kona crab
Dinaguan w/pancit bihon
Ozoni
Nishime
Nakami soup
Menudo
Bread pudding with vanilla bourbon sauce

craigwatanabe
November 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Nutter Butter wafers. When I'm all futless I go grab a package and eat the whole thing (the kids never knew I had them).