Heavenly Approval?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavenly Approval?

I read this article about how movie studios are test marketing thier films through churches. Do you think GOD watches movies? What do you think about this practice of getting "heavenly approval" for a film?

Me... I see a movie through reviews on sites like Rotten Tomatoes and word of mouth... but GOD(or his flock) should not be a movie critic.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Heavenly Approval?

Doesn't bother me. Just another avenue of targeted marketing for film companies. There is a big audience out there that wants a good traditional, family values type of film.

That said I can't figure on the industry marketing something like the Emily Rose film to that demographic.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Keep in mind that art and religion have gone hand-in-hand, at least in the Western world, much longer than they were ever separated. It's true that the secularization of art during the Renaissance and the explosion of great art at the same time were no coincidence, but if, as Kahlil Gibran wrote, "Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed," then it makes sense for there to be some kind of relationship between the two.

If I were making a film where my purpose was to portray baseball in a realistic and believable fashion, of course I would first show it to baseball people for some kind of approval. It makes some sense, then, for films with religious themes to be first shown to members of churches.

God doesn't watch movies, but then Hollywood's not trying to get God to plunk down eight bucks. It's not about heavenly approval, it's about approval from a certain population of moviegoers.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
        but GOD(or his flock) should not be a movie critic.
        if god is everywhere, then he watches movies.
        and his flok is a critic of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          if god is everywhere, then he watches movies.
          and his flok is a critic of everything.

"Either God is everything or he is nothing" not sure where I picked this up but it speaks true to me.If God is everything than anything we deam separate from God is a misconception

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo2
            "Either God is everything or he is nothing" not sure where I picked this up but it speaks true to me.If God is everything than anything we deam separate from God is a misconception
            deem.

If... god is everything, (or everywhere) then why do people go to a church on sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              deem.

If... god is everything, (or everywhere) then why do people go to a church on sunday?
              how would I know why other people do anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo2
                how would I know why other people do anything?
                By reading HT, of course!

Comment

how would I assume people dunno it's a rhetorical question.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                    but GOD(or his flock) should not be a movie critic.
                    Anyone who sits through an entire movie is entitled to their opinion about it. Quite frankly it doesn't matter to me if the rest of the world doesn't agree with me on what movie I like to see.

Comment

Of course, plenty of movies get organized opposition based purely on principle and assumptions and perceptions - sight unseen. "That movie is trash!" "Really? What's it about?" "Why are you asking me, I would never watch such trash!" And so on.

Comment

Working...
                      X