Wet and wetter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet and wetter

4pm Friday 9/23/05 in Kaneohe and we've got tons of rain and some thunder.
    Check out the radar picture at http://www.wunderground.com/radar/st...MO19&type=loop

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Wet and wetter

What was really bizzare was that this morning at around 8am while walking to another building to attend a meeting, the sky was blue, no clouds and no wind, great weather to fly model rockets in. After the meeting around 9:30 am, dark clouds. Well at least it's not that windy.

Comment

At midday today, I was sure we were in for clear blue skies for some time! By the time I was driving home, the sky was starting to look pretty darn spooky.

I'll take heavy rains over a hurricane anyday, though. Besides, thunderstorms are kinda cool.

Comment

From the National Weather Service:

Issued at: 8:00 PM HST 9/23/05, expires at: 11:00 PM HST 9/23/05

The NWS in honolulu has issued a flash flood warning for: the island of oahu in honolulu county Until 1100 pm hst
        At 748 pm hst, civil defense officials reported that flooding had forced the closure of kamehameha highway between waikane and waiahole.
        Locations in the warning include but are not limited to punaluu, laie, kahuku, kaaawa and hauula.
        While rainfall was diminishing, excessive runoff and saturated soil from earlier rain will continue to cause flash flooding of streams, highways, underpasses and low-lying areas.

Comment

Saturday morning, from the National Weather Service:

Issued at: 4:00 AM HST 9/24/05, expires at: 4:00 PM HST 9/24/05

The NWS in honolulu has issued a flash flood Watch for the islands of kauai, Oahu, And Niihau Until 4 pm hst Today,
          Tropical depression jova has essentially stopped the trade winds Over the main hawaiian islands. As a result, Sea Breezes Will develop over the islands in response to afternoon sunshine. Together With humid conditions, And Cold Air aloft associated with low Pressure in the upper atmosphere to the northwest of the state, these conditions will favor the development of heavy showers and possible thunderstorms from late morning into the early evening on Oahu, Kauai, And Niihau. With much of the soil on east oahu and North kauai still quite wet from precipitation yesterday, The Slow- moving showers expected this afternoon could produce localized flooding.

Comment

Well, there wasn't much rain for my daughter's soccer game this morning, but man was it still and thick with humidity. Sky is relatively clear over Mililani, but I'm glad I didn't have a picnic planned today!

Comment

MWH/Chinatown/Downtown/Honolulu Blueskies but Hot and Humid.

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; September 24, 2005, 10:15 AM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mililani near Waihiawa.....clouding up...grey skies, sun almost gone.

Comment

Makaha...a bit overcast but still a beach day; warm and humid but not uncomfortably so.

Yesterday, early afternoon, I was talking on the phone with a friend and he interrupted the conversation with..."Wow! It's pouring here.". 'Here' is Makaha Valley! I'm down the street, on the ocean. No rain and plenty people on the beach! We never did get the downpour that those just a mile or so away experienced.

Comment

Hearing all you O'ahu people go on about a little rain makes this Hilo native laugh. Rain is so common to us, it's always business as usaul. We shop in heavy rain we go to the movies in heavy rain. Have a nice day! Aloha
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Well, lightning strikes certainly aren't an everyday occurrance anywhere in Hawaii! We had lightning strikes hit two jets out of HNL, one Aloha and one Hawaiian, and they both turned back just in case (no injuries or major damage, though). There was also the strike on a poor coconut tree in Kailua. Whew!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        Well, lightning strikes certainly aren't an everyday occurrance anywhere in Hawaii! We had lightning strikes hit two jets out of HNL, one Aloha and one Hawaiian, and they both turned back just in case (no injuries or major damage, though). There was also the strike on a poor coconut tree in Kailua. Whew!
                        I remeber driving up volcano way during a storm. A bolt of lightling hit about ten feet from my car ...Talk about scary! It was the first time I heard thunder as it stuck.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                          Hearing all you O'ahu people go on about a little rain makes this Hilo native laugh. Rain is so common to us, it's always business as usaul. We shop in heavy rain we go to the movies in heavy rain. Have a nice day! Aloha
                          Whoa easy tiger! I love/appreciate rain... that's why my side of the island is so green. But yeah it's kinda funny (to me) how some start running for cover when it's raining lightly or even drizzling.."whoa it's raining!" lol. Rain is the norm here in the Kahalu'u/Ahuimanu area... almost kinda like Hilo.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Well, lightning strikes certainly aren't an everyday occurrance anywhere in Hawaii! We had lightning strikes hit two jets out of HNL, one Aloha and one Hawaiian
                            Last time I went to Lihu'e, (December 2003) I flew there via Hawaiian. It was the first flight to Lihu'e of the day, and all told, the 35 minute flight from Honolulu was uneventful. Well it was, until my plane's final landing approach to LIH airport was interrupted by a thunder storm which appeared at the last minute. I remember seeing Lihu'e and the Hoary Ridge Range clearly from my window seat, as we made our descent..I thought all was well. Then the pilot all of a sudden did a full power thrust up, we started gaining altitude, and started headed back in the direction of O'ahu. We flew towards O'ahu, or maybe we were in a holding pattern for at least ten minutes. All the while, there was no explanation why the landing had been aborted so suddenly. Maybe 5 minutes later the pilot came on the plane's intercom and explained about the thunder storm with lightning that appeared over the runway that we were to land on, and he wasn't about to put the 717 down until the storm cleared. It was kind of scary!

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                              Hearing all you O'ahu people go on about a little rain makes this Hilo native laugh.
                              Well, it was much more than just "a little rain". As Cezanne noted, we're used to rain here on the windward side of O`ahu just like you are in Hilo. You may have noticed that we don't usually talk about the everyday rain, but in this case it was a full-tilt Flash Flood Warning, complete with entire sections of Kamehameha Highway totally submerged and closed, blocking all traffic between Kaneohe and Turtle Bay, and it also caused raw sewage spills, etc. So yeah, it was far more than the "just a little rain" that you're laughing at.

Comment

Working...
                              X