Do you use PayPal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use PayPal?

If you use PayPal, you might want to doublecheck your bank statements for the month of Sept. Apparently, several glitches in the PayPal software have caused some PayPal amounts to be doubly withdrawn from checking accounts.

"...PayPal is battling to fix a glitch that has been causing duplicate debit card withdrawals and deposits on some customer accounts since the beginning of September.

The problem first surfaced on 6 September when some PayPal customers noticed duplicate withdrawals from their debit cards that sent their accounts into the red. Two weeks later more PayPal customers then also reported duplicate withdrawals and deposits into their accounts.

PayPal is blaming the duplicate withdrawals on a third-party processing error with some PIN-based transactions...."

Thank you eBay, for such a swell transaction collection system.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Do you use PayPal?

PayPal is something of a racquet, but it does the job, and it does it well. I love PayPal, and in the days when I didn't own plastic, I was able to make a lot of purchases online I otherwise wouldn't have. Additionally, when I did more eBay selling, I know my customers loved PayPal, and I liked it too. Anything that enabled people to get their money to me was swell in my book. Thankfully, I haven't made any transactions recently, so this didn't affect me, but even if it had, that would be one problem in nearly ten years for me. That's not bad.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I have used PayPal in the past, but not recently. Scary to hear of problems like you've mentioned, but it just seems to me like sooner or later all these companies experience some kind of foul up. I love to purchase online, but figure sooner or later I'm going to run into some kind of hassle!
      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

I, too, love PayPal for it's convenience but have heard nightmarish stories over the years. My PayPal account is linked to a checking account used only for sales via PP. Anything over $50. in that account gets transferred to my regular checking account wiki-wiki! When I purchase an item and pay via PP I always opt for the credit card payment option not the checking account option which is their default. So far, so good and all they can mess with is $50.! Of course, they can still mess with the amounts prior to transferring them to that checking account but that hasn't happened yet and the amounts are usually so small that it's not enough to stress over.

Comment

Oops - double post.

Comment

I'm an eBay addict and have racked up 1000+ transactions over the last 5 years or so buying and selling CDs, DVDs, toys, and other little knickknacks. I have never had any problems with PayPal.

Comment

We prefer money orders but if things on eBay are relatively cheap (or if we want the thing as soon as possible), then my parents will pay for it using PayPal and I'll just pay them back the money out of my wallet (but they rarely ever let me actually pay them for anything ). We only recently started using it.
              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

No problems so far from my end.

But I will check my monthly statement next month, just incase.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

it's probably pretty safe but i did have a problem with them once and they never paid me back. basically, i keep a small checking account like ??? said so that i can only lose a small amount if something goes wrong. the amount needed was greater than the amount in the checking so it should have gone to my credit card. it didn't. each time they tried and failed, my bank charged me $20 for, i think, some kind of service charge. when i finally realized what was happening, i had racked up an $80 charge. my position is that i shouldn't pay for it since they should have gone to my credit card. they never acknowledged any responsibility so i was out $80.

$80 is small compared to what some others have experienced. check it out here:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                    it's probably pretty safe but i did have a problem with them once and they never paid me back. basically, i keep a small checking account like ??? said so that i can only lose a small amount if something goes wrong. the amount needed was greater than the amount in the checking so it should have gone to my credit card. it didn't. each time they tried and failed, my bank charged me $20 for, i think, some kind of service charge. when i finally realized what was happening, i had racked up an $80 charge. my position is that i shouldn't pay for it since they should have gone to my credit card. they never acknowledged any responsibility so i was out $80.
                    [...]
                    Just curious...did you ever explain this issue to your bank? If you have a good, ongoing relationship with your bank, they should reverse those charges.

But, yes, the PayPal horror stories are numerous. Still, it's such a convenient service.

Comment

yup, i tried to explain the situation to my bank but they wouldn't let it slide
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                      X