R.I.P. Don Adams, "Agent Maxwell Smart"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Don Adams, "Agent Maxwell Smart"

Get Smart's Don Adams passed away this weekend. Read the story here.
    ...missed it by that much..... The dome of silence is quiet.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

R.I.P. Don Adams, "Agent Maxwell Smart"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: R.I.P. Don Adams

Aw, that sucks. Maybe now they'll hurry up and get those Get Smart DVDs out. It is a crime that they're still not available!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: R.I.P. Don Adams, "Agent Maxwell Smart"

Oops, sorry for the repeat. I didn't see the other thread in the Na Kanaka section before I posted mine.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Wow, he was a drill seargent. That blows my mind. Can you picture that? Sweet, dumb old Maxwell yelling at some pimply-faced private?

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe

Wow, he was a drill seargent. That blows my mind. Can you picture that? Sweet, dumb old Maxwell yelling at some pimply-faced private?
            Actually, yes I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
              Hmmm maybe something like: "Oh, the ooold I-have-a-compound-fracture-in-my-arm-after-falling-30 feet-during-the-obstacle-course-yesterday-that's-why-I-can't-do- push-ups-trick. Get down and give me a 100 boy!".

RIP Maxwell Smart

Comment

Someone called me on my shoephone and gave me the news.

Comment

i suggest we all pause for a moment to reflect on what a great and funny guy he was the next time we use our cones of silence...
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I loved the series Get Smart when I was a kid in the 60's.

Comment

Just got this list from a friend:
                      September 27, 2005 · Don Adams, also known as Agent 86, on the 1960s TV series Get Smart, has died at age 82. Adams played Maxwell Smart, the agent who puzzled villains and his boss with his confusing explanations and farcical combat style.

The role of the clueless secret agent, bolstered by the comic writing talents of Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, won Adams three Emmy awards. Two attempts to revive it proved unsuccessful, but the original run left TV fans of a certain age with a store of catch phrases. Remember these?

Get Smart! Catch Phrases
                      Modified from a list on WikiPedia

Sorry About That...
                      After causing yet another disaster for the Chief, Max would deliver a self-abashed and entirely inadequate apology. The Chief of the faux CIA outfit CONTROL was played by Edward Platt, who died in 1974.

Now Listen Carefullly...
                      Chief: "Now listen carefully ... [long list of directions to a secret rendezvous or some such] ... did you get that?" Max: "Not all of it." Chief: "Which part didn't you get?" Max: "The part after 'Now listen carefully'."

Would You Believe?
                      Max: (Used when his enemies call his bluffs and he ineffectually resorts to more desperate ones) "Would you believe..."
                      This catch phrase was picked up by Johnny Carson for use in his Tonight Show monologue. It actually predates the show, and was part of a comedy act developed by Adams and his friend Bill Dana (a.k.a. Jose Jimenez).

Here's one example of how it played out, from the comedy act:
                      - Faversham: You think you've got me, but I have you surrounded by the entire mounted 17th Bengal Lancers.
                      -- Khan: I don't believe you.
                      - Faversham: Would you believe the First Bengal Lancers?
                      -- Khan: No
                      - Faversham: How about Gunga Din on a donkey?

Missed It By THAT Much
                      When Max uttered the line "Missed it by that much," holding up thumb and forefinger to demonstrate, he was invariably describing some hopelessly misguided attempt to pull off a spectacular super spy move.

I ASKED You Not to Tell Me That
                      Max: "Don't tell me [he made yet another mistake and when his compatriot confirms it, he responds...] I asked you not to tell me that."

The Old So-and-So Trick
                      Used by the ever-so-knowing Maxwell Smart to dismiss another in a series of highly unlikely developments. One example: "The old Professor Peter Peckinpah all purpose anti-personnel Peckinpah pocket pistol under the toupee trick."

"That's The Second Biggest (Whatever) I've ever seen."
                      A reliable bit of understatement used to excellent comic effect in describing numerous outsized weapons, appliances and assorted props.

"Good Thinking, 99"
                      99 was of course the lovely Barbara Feldon, Maxwell Smart's love interest and a far superior -- though always supportive -- spy. Max maintained the pretense that 99 was learning deduction and logic from him, but the expression on his face showed that he was many steps behind her.

Comment

Some of my funniest moments from watching television came from that man, Mr Don Adams. RIP, Don, you were a treat to watch on the tube.

Comment

Working...
                        X