PDA

View Full Version : HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

scrivener
September 27th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Hello. At long last, it's time for the second go-around of the HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (or "ZZ's Revenge," as some might call it). Beginning October 1 and running through to the end of the month, we'll play a daily game of trivia, following the same rules as in our first game (http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=4848).

With one new twist.

There will still be one, two, or three questions per day, but occasionally, one of these questions will be something submitted by the people playing or observing the game! Here's how it works:

I'll accept trivia questions at my email address only, not in my HawaiiThreads private mailbox. They may be on any subject, but preference will be given to questions that:

Don't sound like they were taken from someone else's trivia game (please, don't raid your Trivial Pursuit games for this),
Don't skew too heavily in favor of older people (there will be plenty enough of those),
Distinguish themselves in some way from other trivia questions, either in inventiveness or subject matter,
Are worded in a manner that leaves little room for misunderstanding or alternate answers, and
Make me say, "Oh, cool!"

I don't particularly care if the questions are too easy or too Google-able; I like the questions to span a wide range of difficulty.

Here's what's in it for you:

If I select your question, you will score 1 point for it if at least two people get it right. Otherwise, you get no points. This encourages people to submit questions that are doable, but not total cakewalks. Total cakewalks are still okay--they just mean everyone gets a point.

Please don't get upset or offended if your question isn't chosen. You're always free to run your own trivia game; the month gets long and 'though the aim is fun, I need it to be fun for me, too, and being pressured to run questions that don't particularly interest me isn't much fun! You may submit as many questions as you like.

Send them to mitchell@mitchellkdwyer.net beginning today and until the end of October.

I urge those of you who didn't play in the first game to read the rules as presented in the link above. There will again be (small, but nice) prizes as before. Don't worry, helen. I haven't forgotten that you haven't received your prize yet!

Let the trivia fly.

zztype
September 27th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Oh man, you are killing me here. I guess this contest will have to mark my return to Hawaii Threads, with tail tucked humbly between legs. :o

Oh, the humanity. This is going to be painful, no doubt, but I cannot in good conscience skip this competition. Last time, I missed nearly the first week before diving into the fray. Not this time. Bring it on, Mahi'ai me ka Papa He'e Nalu (Farmer with the Surfboard).

I will donate one $15 iTunes Music Store Gift Card for the prizes, no other consideration solicited or necessary.

Aloha,

Blaine

pzarquon
September 27th, 2005, 09:57 PM
ZZ! Oh, ZZ, you made my day.

I'd also like to contribute to the prize pool. A HawaiiThreads.com T-shirt, perhaps?

Looking forward to it, Scrivener! I'll try to think up a good question or two, too.

1stwahine
September 27th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Welcome back Braddah ZzType!(chuckles) One Big Ohana again! ;) :D

Auntie Lynn

scrivener
September 27th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Oh man, you are killing me here. I guess this contest will have to mark my return to Hawaii Threads, with tail tucked humbly between legs. :o
If that's all it took, I'd have run this thing on April 19.

Glen Miyashiro
September 27th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Yay, another game! :D

EastCoastTropics
September 28th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Oh boy another game!!!! I had so much fun on that last game and got a nice prize for 3rd place too! Mahalo scrivener! I too would like to donate a prize for this game! :)

Surfingfarmboy
September 28th, 2005, 02:13 AM

Oh, the humanity. This is going to be painful, no doubt, but I cannot in good conscience skip this competition. Last time, I missed nearly the first week before diving into the fray. Not this time. Bring it on, Mahi'ai me ka Papa He'e Nalu (Farmer with the Surfboard).

I will donate one $15 iTunes Music Store Gift Card for the prizes, no other consideration solicited or necessary.

Aloha,

Blaine

Howzit Blaine!

So the gauntlet has been laid before me. I accept your challange, zztype, and once again, you will find me to be a worthy competitor in this upcoming trivia game. I have eagerly been awaiting the second edition of this game, and opportunity to defend my hard-wrought first edition championship, and now, at long last, the time has come. Let the rematch begin. I'm ready. Are you? ;)

Surfingfarmboy

P.S.: Good to see you back here in the HT fora!

zztype
September 28th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Hahaha! Mahalo a nui loa! I do look forward to this. It is good to see the Mahi'ai again!
Blaine

Howzit Blaine!

So the gauntlet has been laid before me. I accept your challange, zztype, and once again, you will find me to be a worthy competitor in this upcoming trivia game. I have eagerly been awaiting the second edition of this game, and opportunity to defend my hard-wrought first edition championship, and now, at long last, the time has come. Let the rematch begin. I'm ready. Are you? ;)

Surfingfarmboy

P.S.: Good to see you back here in the HT fora!

scrivener
September 28th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Oh boy another game!!!! I had so much fun on that last game and got a nice prize for 3rd place too! Mahalo scrivener! I too would like to donate a prize for this game! :)
Ooh, ooh! Are you donating something from EastCoastTropics.com? That would be cool (but no pressure, of course -- I know you have a business to run!). I might have to win my own game!

scrivener
September 28th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Just for clarity's sake, the first questions will go up Friday night, the 30th of September, sometime after 9 p.m. and the answers will be due by 9 p.m. Saturday night, the first of October. Then we'll continue until 9 p.m. Halloween night. AroooooOOOOOoooo!

Moto
September 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I will join in late, probably in mid October when I get back (hopefully). Everyone, try not to get too far ahead...

EastCoastTropics
September 30th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Ooh, ooh! Are you donating something from EastCoastTropics.com?

Absolutely!! :)

zztype
September 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM
"Ahem." (Looks at watch, taps face, examines watch again....) "Ahem!"

scrivener
September 30th, 2005, 09:54 PM
HawaiiThreads Trivia Game!
Here are the questions for Day 1.

Question 1
Category: I'm not ath thupid ath I theme.
What TV variety show's house band included Floyd on guitar and Janis on bass?

edit: it may have been floyd on bass and janis on guitar.

Question 2
Category: Welllcome! To Fallacy Island!
What logical fallacy is illustrated by the sentence, "The Easter Bunny exists and you can't prove that it doesn't!"

Question 3
Category: Have I told you lately Island View?
What prominent geographical feature was named by Hawaiians for its resemblance to a lizard's tail?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 1, and if this is your first time playing the game, please read the rules in the first post of this thread (http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=4848).

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 30th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Sorry to interrupt the momentum of the new game, but I thought I'd give a couple of quick pointers.

First, I will not always be able to get the questions up between 9 and 10; however, if you subscribe to the thread, as soon as I post the questions, you'll get them in your email box, which can be a handy thing. I know ZZ, last game's runner-up, does this. Just click "thread tools" at the top of the post, and choose your preferred manner of subscription.

Second, I try very hard to get the post right the first time, but sometimes I notice errors, or I think of better ways to word the questions. Please, if you decide to respond to a post shortly after it is put up, check it again later to see if I've re-worded it. Edits won't come to your mailbox if you subscribe.

Okay. That's it. On with the madness.

Glen Miyashiro
September 30th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 1, and if this is your first time playing the game, please read the rules in the first post of this thread (http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=4848).

Good luck, and have fun!Wait, wait! In this post you say send you the answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE, but in post #1 of this thread you said send you the answers "at my email address only, not in my HawaiiThreads private mailbox". Which is it? Regular email, or private messages? I'm all confused!

scrivener
September 30th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Which is it? Regular email, or private messages? I'm all confused!
Submissions of trivia questions for possible use in the contest go to my regular email. Answers to the actual posted questions go in my private messages box.

zztype
October 1st, 2005, 09:38 PM
Yaaayyy!!! I see the (green) light! Scrivener has finally logged on this evening!

scrivener
October 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
Here are the answers for Day 1.

Question 1
Category: I'm not ath thupid ath I theme.
What TV variety show's house band included Floyd on guitar and Janis on bass?
edit: it may have been floyd on bass and janis on guitar.
"It's time to play the music;
It's time to light the lights;
It's time to meet the Muppets
On the Muppet Show tonight!"

That's right. The house band also included Rowlf on piano, Animal on drums, and Zoot on sax. In the fifth season, Lips joined the band on trumpet. Janis, Floyd, Animal, and Zoot also played in Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem with Dr. Teeth on organ.

Froglegs and hamhocks go to lavagal, zztype, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoetulip!

Question 2
Category: Welllcome! To Fallacy Island!
What logical fallacy is illustrated by the sentence, "The Easter Bunny exists and you can't prove that it doesn't!"
I used to teach logical fallacy, and am reminded now of why it was so frustrating. A lot of times, logic is so fallacious that it falls into several categories at once, so I'm giving credit to any of these answers: Argumentum ad Ignorantiam (argument from ignorance), Begging the questions (affirming the truth of something without offering evidence), and Shifting the burden of proof (the answer I was going for), and I'm going to accept "you can't prove a negative" because it's often taught that this is a logical fallacy, but you actually can prove a negative if you can demonstrate that it is a contradiction.

Points go to lavagal, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoetulip for being so logical!

Question 3
Category: Have I told you lately Island View?
What prominent geographical feature was named by Hawaiians for its resemblance to a lizard's tail?
Oh, you're good. You knew (or at least zztype, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoetulip knew!) that Mokoli`i, or Chinaman's Hat, was named for its resemblance to a lizard's tail!

So after one day, here are the standings!
3: shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoe tulip
2: lavagal, zztype
nice tries: mel and helen

New questions, next post!

scrivener
October 1st, 2005, 09:53 PM
Here are the questions for Day 2.

Question 1
Category: I Was Comma on to My Neighbor, but She Hurriedly Declined My Preposition.
What common word in the English language is pronounced differently simply upon the capitalization of its initial letter?

edit: we're looking for a word that's English when uncapitalized and English when capitalized.

Question 2
Category: She Said She Had to Get Her Email. I Said I Had to Get My Female.
What Oahu ZIP code represents the only town on the island whose name doesnít contain a Hawaiian word?

Question 3
Category: She Stays Far Away From Me Now, but I Continue to Checker Out.
In what much-loved board game do players make an early decision to begin a career or to go to college first?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE (not email, Lavagal!) by 9:00 PM on October 2!

Good luck, and have fun!

Glen Miyashiro
October 2nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
"It's time to play the music;
It's time to light the lights;
It's time to meet the Muppets
On the Muppet Show tonight!"

That's right. The house band also included Rowlf on piano, Animal on drums, and Zoot on sax. In the fifth season, Lips joined the band on trumpet. Janis, Floyd, Animal, and Zoot also played in Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem with Dr. Teeth on organ.And for those who want to revisit the last great TV variety show, Season 1 is now available on DVD (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009ULBGS).

scrivener
October 2nd, 2005, 09:36 PM
Here are the answers for Day 2.

Question 1
Category: I Was Comma on to My Neighbor, but She Hurriedly Declined My Preposition.
What common word in the English language is pronounced differently simply upon the capitalization of its initial letter?

Hmmm. I think this was a great question, but I'm going to have to accept alternate answers. I was going for polish, which I maintain is the only answer that fits my criteria, but many people submitted nice, job, slough (surfingfarmboy), reading (tiptoetulip), herb (zz and pzarquon), lima (zz), and holy you-know-what, ya twisted freakin' academic (lavagal). I feel quite strongly that Job, Lima, Herb, and Nice are not English words when capitalized like that any more than Japan is an English word. However, Polish is definitely an English word, as it is our word for something or someone from Poland, just as Japanese is an English word and Chinese is an English word. Does that make sense?

Now, as for Slough and Reading, these happen to be place names, but they are place names in England, so it is completely reasonable to expect that they be counted, but you know, that's British English and British English isn't really English! Just kidding. But really. Compare my answer to your answers, and I think you'll agree (once I give you all your points!) that mine is definitely the best one.

Happy faces for Glen Miyashiro and ZZtype for submitting the word I was looking for!

So points go to tiptoetulip, zztype, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and shave ice for their assortment of answers. Moral of the story: don't leave it blank, 'cause you might get credit for any answer!

Question 2
Category: She Said She Had to Get Her Email. I Said I Had to Get My Female.
What Oahu ZIP code represents the only town on the island whose name doesnít contain a Hawaiian word?
*sigh* It's going to be that kind of contest!
Yes, I know the military installations get their own ZIP codes, but are they towns? Hm? :mad:

Thankfully, everyone knew what I meant even though they insist I was unclear (I maintain that I was as clear as could be), and helen, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, zztype, glen miyashiro, lavagal, mel, pzarquon, and shave ice all submitted Pearl City as their correct answer.

Question 3
Category: She Stays Far Away From Me Now, but I Continue to Checker Out.
In what much-loved board game do players make an early decision to begin a career or to go to college first?
Even people who don't remember this part of the game got it right. Yes, the game of Life offered players a shorter (fewer spaces to the finish) path for starting a career or a higher paycheck and a longer path for going to college in the early stages of the game.

Extra spins of the wheel for helen, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, zztype, glen miyashiro, lavagal, mel, pzarquon, and shave ice for knowing that one.

Here are the current standings!

6: shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoetulip
5: zztype
4: lavagal
2: helen, mel

Still plenty of time to get in on this, so don't be shy.

scrivener
October 2nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Here are the questions for Day 3.

Question 1
Category: Sharkleberry Finn
According to a popular song of Hawaii, what should you never let happen to a piece of shark bait?

Question 2
Category: Son of a B****
What television son usually referred to his father as "Dear Old Dad," as in, "Anything you say, Dear Old Dad!"

Question 3
Category: That's Sticking My Neck Out
What relative of the giraffe has a face like a deer's, a neck like a very short giraffe's, a body like a horse's, and a butt like a zebra's?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 3!

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
October 3rd, 2005, 09:30 PM

Question 1
Category: Sharkleberry Finn
According to a popular song of Hawaii, what should you never let happen to a piece of shark bait?
Aw, mel...I put this question in for you! (http://hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=22695&postcount=84)

Everyone who got this right quoted some Coconut Willie song, but I was referring to "E Lei Ka Lei Lei," which incluldes the lyric,
Malihinis that surf should be wrapped in foil
You should never let a piece of shark bait spoil.

The Coconut Willie song, according to lavagal and others, goes,
When malihinis come to town
Willie greets them with a smile not a frown
He rubs them with oil
So they won't broil
He never lets a single piece of shark bait spoil.

So extra Reynolds Wrap to zztype, glen miyashiro, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, shave ice, and lavagal for not spoiling that one.

Question 2
Category: Son of a B****
What television son usually referred to his father as "Dear Old Dad," as in, "Anything you say, Dear Old Dad!"
It was the ever-adorable Augie Doggie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augie_Doggie) speaking to his pops, Doggie Daddy. Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Isn't that TOO fun to say?

Paws up to helen, glen miyashiro, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, and pzarquon for not playing dead on that one!

Question 3
Category: That's Sticking My Neck Out
What relative of the giraffe has a face like a deer's, a neck like a very short giraffe's, a body like a horse's, and a butt like a zebra's?
Boy, I'd really like to know what you put in the search engine to get this one, if you didn't already know it. Please pmessage me or post a reply. Curious.

Yes, it looks like it was assembled from spare parts at a toy store, but the okapi is real, and I really like it. It's a gentle sort, and I feel a sorta kinship with it. Shoots and leaves go to zztype, tiptoetulip (who says it's also called the "forest giraffe"), glen miyashiro, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, shave ice, mel, and lavagal for quietly munching through that one.

9: glen miyashiro, pzarquon, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
8: shave ice
7: zztype
6: lavagal
3: helen, mel

Hey, you! If you're not playing and still want to jump in, what's keeping you? There's plenty of game left!

scrivener
October 3rd, 2005, 09:46 PM

Question 1
Category: She Broke Up With the Low-Singer, Because She Couldn't Get to Third Bass
What are three of the four musical acts who performed at both Woodstock (the original) and Live Aid?

Question 2
Category: She Would Never Marry a Carpenter; She Says They're Too Level-Headed.
Whose model of the cognitive realm includes levels named Knowledge, Application, Synthesis, and Evaluation?

Question 3
Category: They Call 'em Films for the Greasy Residue Many of them Leave on Your Soul
Oh, this is too easy: When some fellow English majors and I saw Disney's Beauty and the Beast in theaters, why did we get really, really excited when we heard a particular lyric in Gaston's "The Mob Song?"

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 4!

Good luck, and have fun!

mel
October 3rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
Boy, I'd really like to know what you put in the search engine to get this one, if you didn't already know it. Please pmessage me or post a reply. Curious.

In Google I simply typed in Giraffe. Came up with a bunch of pages. One page led me to Giraffe Central (http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/giraffe/) where one of the links is "Giraffe Classification". Went to that page and selected "Scientific Names" where they have all of the Giraffe's close and distant relatives listed. I saw the name Okapi and did a Google picture search and there it was with its Zebra ass. I had also remember seeing this animal on some PBS Nature show or something years ago.

Looking at the page again, there is also a link to the Wikipedia on Okapi.

So I guess that makes up for me missing that song.

shaveice
October 3rd, 2005, 10:25 PM
augie doggie??? that show is SOOOO old i didn't think anyone here would be old enuf to know it! that'll teach me to assume too much! ha! ha!

zztype
October 3rd, 2005, 10:30 PM
augie doggie??? that show is SOOOO old i didn't think anyone here would be old enuf to know it! that'll teach me to assume too much! ha! ha!
Whoa, whoa, watch that! :) I was in HIGH SCHOOL when Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy were popular. But I missed the question anyway. My Googling turned up a whole bunch of "unmentionable" answers, but not the correct one. I needed another clue.

Blaine

lavagal
October 4th, 2005, 06:41 AM
My husband knew okapi. Told me to Google it. There it was in it's striped zebra butt. What a funky critter! Is it's G*d's plan or that of man? Or were there a bunch of animals in the jungle one night and they lyrics of CSN came on: "if you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with" triggered an evolutionary movement?

scrivener
October 4th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Here are the answers for Day 4!

Question 1
Category: She Broke Up With the Low-Singer, Because She Couldn't Get to Third Bass
What are three of the four musical acts who performed at both Woodstock (the original) and Live Aid?
The four who performed at both monumental concert events were Joan Baez (truly amazing at Live Aid), Santana, The Who, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. Yes, Neil Young did play at Woodstock, but he refused to be photographed for the concert documentary, and at Live Aid he joined CSN sometime after the CSN set to do "Find the Cost of Freedom," the first time I ever heard that song. It blew me away! I was instantly a fan.

Peace and love (but no brown ecstasy) to kimo55, zztype, tiptoetulip, glen miyashiro, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, and mel for getting that one right!

Question 2
Category: She Would Never Marry a Carpenter; She Says They're Too Level-Headed.
Whose model of the cognitive realm includes levels named Knowledge, Application, Synthesis, and Evaluation?
That would be Benjamin Bloom, the creator of Bloom's Taxonomy. I do a great presentation on Bloom's Taxonomy, if you ever need a guest speaker.

Bee-pluses go to kimo55, zztype, tiptoetulip (who BETTER have gotten this! :) ), glen miyashiro, shave ice, and surfingfarmboy!

Question 3
Category: They Call 'em Films for the Greasy Residue Many of them Leave on Your Soul
Oh, this is too easy: When some fellow English majors and I saw Disney's Beauty and the Beast in theaters, why did we get really, really excited when we heard a particular lyric in Gaston's "The Mob Song?"
When Gaston sings, "Screw your courage to the sticking place," he is quoting Lady Macbeth, from Shakespeare's play, Macbeth. Macbeth says, "If we should fail?" and Lady Macbeth says, "We fail! But screw your courage to the sticking-place, And we'll not fail."

Oh, I get chicken skin just remembering that moment! I mean that moment seeing Beauty and the Beast.

Blood and roses to tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, and glen miyashiro for remembering their lines and hitting their mark!

Best wrong answer, from helen: "Why English majors make good lovers."

That was going to be tonight's question, but now I have to find something else!

Okay, here are the current standings!
12: glen miyashiro, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
10: shave ice
9: pzarquon, zztype
6: lavagal
4: mel
3: helen
2: kimo55

scrivener
October 4th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Here are the questions for Day 5!

Question 1
Category: All I've Got is Your Photograph
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/triviaphoto1.jpg
Who's this?

Question 2
Category: The Day Breakfast Bit Back
In January of 1919, what food item flowed through the streets of Boston, drowning at least twenty people and injuring over a hundred more?

Question 3
Category: Everybody Was Tofu Fighting
What local organization's name is the acronym MISO?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 5!

Good luck, and have fun!
And hey! You! Don't just sit there, vicariously enjoying the thrill of trivia! Get your booty down here and play with us!

scrivener
October 5th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Here are the answers for Day 5!

Holy Shmoley! I posted this at 9:29 and Glen Miyashiro had the answers in my box at 9:33! That's it. I'm busting out the big guns tonight!

Question 1
Category: All I've Got is Your Photograph
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/triviaphoto1.jpg
Who's this?
Paulina Porizkova, the face of Estee Lauder for several years, the Sports Illustrated cover model for three years in a row, and the primary decoration of my twelfth-grade locker. I'm not really a fan of the super-model type, but Paulina has one of the greatest faces ever. I mean ever. She's still married to Ric Okasek, by the way.

Skin products to surfingfarmboy, shaveice, tiptoetulip, lavagal, and glen miyashiro! "Who's gonna drive you home . . . tonight?"

Question 2
Category: The Day Breakfast Bit Back
In January of 1919, what food item flowed through the streets of Boston, drowning at least twenty people and injuring over a hundred more?
This story is too good not to know, so if you don't, head on over to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood) and learn about the Great Molasses Flood of 1919!

Mo' Lasses (What? How can I have mo' lasses when I ain't had no lasses yet?) go to mel, surfingfarmboy, shave ice, tiptoetulip, zztype, lavagal, kimo55, and glen miyashiro for sticking that one out!

Question 3
Category: Everybody Was Tofu Fighting
What local organization's name is the acronym MISO?
Isn't that a great acronym? Yes, as everyone knew, it is the Men's Island Soccer Organization. Extra laps around the field for mel, surfingfarmboy, shave ice, tiptoetulip, zztype, helen, lavagal, and glen miyhashiro for getting their heads on that one!

15: glen miyashiro, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
13: shave ice
11: zztype
9: pzarquon, lavagal
6: mel
4: helen
3: kimo55

Get off that couch and get on the trivia train! New questions, next post!

scrivener
October 5th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Here are the questions for Day 6!

Question 1
Category: Reunited and it Feels so Good
In Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, a metaphor turns into an argument. Why do the principal characters care about who "gets to be the Mary?"

Question 2
Category: Do You Hear the People Sing, Singing the Song of Angry Men?
In 1990, during the height of the "color wars" between rival gangs on the US west coast, California rappers got together and recorded a plea for peace. What was this project (either the collective or the song) called?

Question 3
Category: Does That Come With a Pineapple?
When brothers Andy and Ray Bumatai had their own very short-lived sketch comedy show on cable television, what did they call it?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 6!

Good luck, and have fun!

pzarquon
October 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Holy cow, how'd I miss two days of this? Sheesh. I don't think ZZ's ever going to give up the lead!

zztype
October 6th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Eh, not April Fools yet. Not time for that joke yet! :)

Holy cow, how'd I miss two days of this? Sheesh. I don't think ZZ's ever going to give up the lead!

zztype
October 6th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Most users ever online was 298, December 13th, 2004 at 05:09 PM.
zztype, 1stwahine, arturo_h, Fondoo2, helen, hinokei, Howard Dicus, Kalihiboy, ladat, Pomai, scrivener, shaveice, tiptoetulip, tutusue

Whole buncha Threaders mill around awaiting the evening pronouncement from the Grand Vizeer. :)

scrivener
October 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Here are the answers for Day 6!

Question 1
Category: Reunited and it Feels so Good
In Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, a metaphor turns into an argument. Why do the principal characters care about who "gets to be the Mary?"
When the characters played by Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino argue about "who gets to be the Mary," they're arguing because neither wants to be the Rhoda, as in Rhoda Morgenstern, Mary Tyler Moore's best friend on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Mostly, it's because Mary's cuter, but I am happy to accept any answer having to do with this television show.

So tam o'shanters off (you knew that was coming, didn't ya?) to glen miyashiro, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, pzarquon, zztype, and tiptoetulip for getting it right!

Question 2
Category: Do You Hear the People Sing, Singing the Song of Angry Men?
In 1990, during the height of the "color wars" between rival gangs on the US west coast, California rappers got together and recorded a plea for peace. What was this project (either the collective or the song) called?
One of the things that struck me when the very catchy "We're All in the Same Gang" by the West Coast Rap All-Stars was on the air was how much cooler than everyone else Ice-T was. On a record full of coolness, Ice-T was the coolest. I think that says something.

It was a good song. I don't know if it did any good.

Mad props go to shave ice, mel, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, zztype, and tiptoetulip for throwing down!

Question 3
Category: Does That Come With a Pineapple?
When brothers Andy and Ray Bumatai had their own very short-lived sketch comedy show on cable television, what did they call it?
Woo, I'm going to take heat for this one. But hey: If we all got threes every day, nobody would lose, and it's all about identifying the losers, right?

I'm kidding.

So, here's the deal. Mental Tilapia is just wrong. That was an improv game-show and Andy wasn't on it. I was going for Bumavision, a hilarious title and a very, very funny show.

Congratulations to shave ice, helen, mel, lavagal, and pzarquon for knowing that one.

I don't find it odd that Ray's death and my posting this question coincided. For some reason, I was thinking about Ray last night, and how talented and warm he was, and I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about his condition recently; I knew he'd been having some problems. When I wrote that question, it was because Ray was heavy on my mind, and sometimes that just happens. Don't ask me why, but there it is.

Of all the millions of things I saw him in, I'm going to remember him best as the Chicken Ranger. That series of commercials was so ridiculous and so goofy, and he played it exactly, exactly right. He just nailed that role, and I could not help but love those commercials, knowing that if it had been anyone else, I'd have hated them.

Bye, Ray. I don't say this very often when famous people die, but I will miss you.

So, here are the current standings:
17: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
16: glen miyashiro, shave ice
13: zztype
12: lavagal
11: pzarquon
8: mel
5: helen
3: kimo55

scrivener
October 6th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Here are the questions for Day 7!

Question 1
Category: I'm Burnin' I'm Burnin' I'm Burnin' for You!
What American car made headlines in the late seventies for its supposed tendency to burst into flames when struck from behind, causing many to declare it one of the worst cars ever made?

Question 2
Category: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News!
What eighties television medical drama was a spinoff of M*A*S*H, though none of the actors in the the original movie or the television show were in the spinoff?

Question 3
Category: I Want a Doctor to Take Your Picture, So I Can Look at You From Inside As Well!
Black and white photos take several baths in the darkroom before they're hung up to dry. The last bath is plain water. What do the photos (almost always) bathe in just before being placed in the water?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 7!

Good luck, and get going!
Tomorrow: The first of the contestant-submitted questions!

Pomai
October 6th, 2005, 10:56 PM
K.K.. I'm in! I'm in!

Hard to beat Glen's split second answers though. :eek: :)

scrivener
October 7th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Here are the answers for Day 7!

Question 1
Category: I'm Burnin' I'm Burnin' I'm Burnin' for You!
What American car made headlines in the late seventies for its supposed tendency to burst into flames when struck from behind, causing many to declare it one of the worst cars ever made?
Most of you knew this was the Ford Pinto (and its twin, the Mercury Bobcat) without looking it up; however, tiptoetulip sent me a link to a source that claims the Ford Mustang (http://www.safetyforum.com/fordmustang) is a valid answer, so I'm taking it.

Whinnies, nickers, and neighs to glen miyashiro, helen, zztype, kimo55, mel, pomai, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, kevin_jay, and tiptoetulip!

Question 2
Category: Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News!
What eighties television medical drama was a spinoff of M*A*S*H, though none of the actors in the original movie or the television show were in the spinoff?
That would be Trapper John, M.D., a pretty good show set twenty eight years after the Korean conflict in which M*A*S*H was set.

Fifty CCs of adrenaline, stat! to glen, helen, zztype, kimo55, mel, pomai, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, and tiptoetulip for their correct responses!

Question 3
Category: I Want a Doctor to Take Your Picture, So I Can Look at You From Inside As Well!
Black and white photos take several baths in the darkroom before they're hung up to dry. The last bath is plain water. What do the photos (almost always) bathe in just before being placed in the water?
I'm taking hypo clearing agent as an acceptable answer, but fixer is the answer I was going for. For those of you who might not remember, hypo clearing agent allowed for shorter clean-water baths and fewer problems with uneven drying, much the same way Photoflo did with film processing.

Double prints to glen miyashiro, zztype, kimo55, mel, pomai, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, kevin_jay, and tiptoetulip for staying focused.

20: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
19: glen miyashiro, shave ice
16: zztype
13: pzarquon
11: mel
7: helen
6: kimo55
3: pomai
2: kevin_jay

new questions, next post!

tiptoetulip
October 7th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Most of you knew this without looking it up; however, tiptoetulip sent me a link to a source that claims the Ford Mustang (http://www.safetyforum.com/fordmustang) is a valid answer, so I'm taking it.
So, was there another car you were thinking of?

zztype
October 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Hahaha! Ford "Poof" Pinto!

tiptoetulip
October 7th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Hahaha! Ford "Poof" Pinto!
:p I was thinking of that, Blaine! "Poof"....hahahahaha!

Excerpt from the link I provided:
Many more people have burned alive in Mustangs built after 1970. Indeed, during the mid 1970ís the Mustang and the Pinto shared the same fuel system and rear structure design. Not surprisingly, more people have burned alive in Mustangs of that era than did in the Pinto. When the Pinto was recalled, the Mustang should have been but was not. :eek:

mel
October 7th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Don't forget the Pinto's evil twin, the Mercury Bobcat.

scrivener
October 7th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Here are the questions for Day 8!

Question 1
Category: Put On Your Red Shoes!
What is the name given to a high school dance to which the girls invite the boys?

Question 2
Category: Every Day Has its Dog
For an eighth of a point each, give the name of:
the dog in Luann,
the dog in Peanuts,
the dog in Blondie,
the dog in Hagar the Horrible,
the dog in Marvin,
the dog in Marmaduke,
the dog in Beetle Bailey, and
the iguana in FoxTrot!

Question 3 (submitted by a participant; I'll tell you who on Saturday)
Category: Hawaii, Oh Hawaii Was This Canceled?
What sporting event, scheduled for Oahu in 1999 with a purse of ten million dollars, was canceled less than a month before its scheduled date?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 8!

Tomorrow: Something a little different!

scrivener
October 7th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Ooooh. Needling the scorekeeper is NOT in your best interest! :cool:
Thanks for the heads-up; I edited the post to indicate my expected answer.

tiptoetulip
October 7th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Ooooh. Needling the scorekeeper is NOT in your best interest! :cool:
Thanks for the heads-up; I edited the post to indicate my expected answer.
Whoops! Just checking! I wasn't sure if you were meaning the Pinto, with your original post. ;)

scrivener
October 8th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Here are the answers for Day 8!

Question 1
Category: Put On Your Red Shoes!
What is the name given to a high school dance to which the girls invite the boys?
Inspired by a character of the same name in Li'l Abner, the Sadie Hawkins dance encourages the girls to invite the boys. I wonder if they still do this anywhere.

Two trips to the punchbowl to kimo55, mel, tiptoetulip, lavagal, helen, shaveice, surfingfarmboy, and zztype!

Question 2
Category: Every Day Has its Dog
For an eighth of a point each, give the name of:
the dog in Luann,
the dog in Peanuts,
the dog in Blondie,
the dog in Hagar the Horrible,
the dog in Marvin,
the dog in Marmaduke,
the dog in Beetle Bailey, and
the iguana in FoxTrot!
the dog in Luann is Puddles,
the dog in Peanuts is Snoopy,
the dog in Blondie is Daisy,
the dog in Hagar the Horrible is Snert,
the dog in Marvin is Bitsy,
the dog in Marmaduke is Marmaduke,
the dog in Beetle Bailey is Otto, and
the iguana in FoxTrot is Quincy!
A full point each goes to tiptoetulip, lavagal, shaveice, surfingfarmboy (mailing it in from the airport on his way to the Chicago Marathon!), mel, and zztype. For getting seven out of eight, .875 point goes to helen and kevin_jay.

Question 3 (submitted by a participant; I'll tell you who on Saturday)
Category: Hawaii, Oh Hawaii Was This Canceled?
What sporting event, scheduled for Oahu in 1999 with a purse of ten million dollars, was canceled less than a month before its scheduled date?
Tonight's participant-submitted question was sent in by TipToeTulip, who scores one point because at least two people got the correct answer, which is the Hawaiian Super Prix. It seemed like a good idea, but it also seemed way too rushed, if you ask me.

Victory laps go to mel, lavagal, shaveice, surfingfarmboy, zztype, and kevin_jay, with a half point going to helen for knowing it was an auto race but not knowing its name.

23: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
22: shave ice
19: glen miyashiro, zztype
15: lavagal
14: mel
9.325: helen
7: kimo55
3.875: kevin_jay

scrivener
October 8th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Here are the questions for Day 9!

I was going to do something a little different today, but my podcast took a little longer to record than I expected, so you'll have to wait for the something different!

Question 1
Category: Chalk One Up For . . .
What is Oahu's only Seventh-Day Adventist high school?

Question 2
Category: That's Why I'm Easy
The old Commodore 64 and VIC-20 computers didn't have backslash keys, making silly spinning-curser tricks look funny if you were modeming with one. What character on Commodore keyboards was assigned the backslash ascii code?

Question 3
Category: "I Might As Well Go Up and Talk to a Wall . . . "
What do the Doors' "Mr. Mojo Risin'" and Missing Persons' Spring Session M have in common?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 9!

scrivener
October 9th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Here are the answers for Day 9!

Question 1
Category: Chalk One Up For . . .
What is Oahu's only Seventh-Day Adventist high school?
That would be Hawaiian Mission Academy, which, when I was in high school, I would always tell people was "the one near the under-the-freeway post office." I had friends who dated HMA girls when I was in high school; it was a little weird, 'cause as you know, Seventh-Day Adventists honor the sabbath beginning at sundown on Friday and ending at sundown on Saturday. That made dating pretty tough! Also, HMA has difficulty fielding sports teams for the same reason.

I would also add that Colleen and Iris, wherever you are, if any girls were worth working around that schedule, it would be you! I swear, some guys get all the luck.

No study hall or detention for helen, shave ice, lavagal, mel, zztype, surfingfarmboy, and tiptoetulip! Sorry, but Leeward Adventist Mission School is only K to 8.

Question 2
Category: That's Why I'm Easy
The old Commodore 64 and VIC-20 computers didn't have backslash keys, making silly spinning-curser tricks look funny if you were modeming with one. What character on Commodore keyboards was assigned the backslash ascii code?
What in the world would you need a BRITISH POUND SYMBOL for? Don't know, but that's what replaced the backslash on the C64 computers!

A little pat on the ASCII to shave ice, mel, zztype, surfingfarmboy, kevin_jay, and tiptoetulip!

Question 3
Category: "I Might As Well Go Up and Talk to a Wall . . . "
What do the Doors' "Mr. Mojo Risin'" and Missing Persons' Spring Session M have in common?
Rearrange the letters in "Mr. Mojo Risin'" and you get "Jim Morrison." Rearrange the letters in "Spring Session M," and you get "Missing Persons." Yes, they are both anagrams!

TALON CURTAINS GO to shave ice, lavagal, mel, kimo55, surfingfarmboy, and tiptoetulip for saying "letter rip!"

26: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
25: shave ice
21: zztype
19: glen miyashiro
17: lavagal, mel
10.325: helen
8: kimo55
4.875: kevin_jay

Hey! We're only a fourth of the way through this thing, so if you're thinking you've missed the boat, you're wrong! Jump on and play with us!

scrivener
October 9th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Here are the questions for Day 10!

Question 1
Category: Weight and See
For what Hawaii high school football team did Konishiki play?

Question 2
Category: Just a Blockhead
What did the word "tetris" have to do with the hopelessly addicting video game it named?

Question 3
Category: "Believe Me, Your Kids are Gonna Love It!"
When drink does Marty McFly initially request in a 1950s soda shoppe in Back to the Future?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 10!

Tomorrow: Three Non-Google-able Questions!

scrivener
October 10th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Here are the answers for Day 10!

Question 1
Category: Weight and See
For what Hawaii high school football team did Konishiki play?
Yes, Salevaa Atisanoe did graduate from University Laboratory School (commonly Univeristy High; currently Education Lab School), but as you know, it doesn't have its own football team. He played for Pac-5.

Gatorade showers to glen miyashiro, shave ice, kimo55, surfingfarmboy, tiptoetulip, mel, and lavagal!

Question 2
Category: Just a Blockhead
What did the word "tetris" have to do with the hopelessly addicting video game it named?
The pieces that fell from the sky were the seven possible arrangements of four adjacent blocks. Tetra = four.

Bonus tokens to madazza, glen miyashiro, shave ice, kimo55, surfingfarmboy, tiptoetulip, pzarquon, and kevin_jay!

Question 3
Category: "Believe Me, Your Kids are Gonna Love It!"
When drink does Marty McFly initially request in a 1950s soda shoppe in Back to the Future?
Lou: You gonna order something, kid?
Marty: Ah, yeah. Give me a Tab.
Lou: Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something!
Marty: All right, give me a Pepsi Free.
Lou: You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it!

The correct answer is Tab, which Surfingfarmboy says is still quite popular in the northeast. Those sickos!

Ice cream sodas to madazza, helen, glen miyashiro, shaveice, surfingfarmboy, zztype, tiptoetulip, pzarquon, mel, lavagal, and kevin_jay for getting back in time!

29: tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
28: shave ice
22: zztype, glen miyashiro
19: lavagal, mel
15: pzarquon
11.325: helen
10: kimo55
6.875: kevin_jay
2: madazza

scrivener
October 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Here are the questions for Day 11!

Oops. I forgot to write non-Google-able questions. Perhaps tomorrow.

Question 1
Category: Another Brick in the Wall
What University of Hawaii classroom building was recently renamed because of students' complaints about the person for whom it had been named?

Question 2
Category: My Enemy's Enemy is My Friend
What rival companies were founded by the Dassler brothers?

Question 3
Category: My Husband's (W)Easel
What painter claimed the legal rights to her work when her husband, who'd been taking credit, declined to participate in an in-court "paint-off" to demonstrate who the actual artist was?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 11!

scrivener
October 11th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Here are the answers for Day 11!

Question 1
Category: Another Brick in the Wall
What University of Hawaii classroom building was recently renamed because of students' complaints about the person for whom it had been named?
Porteus Hall, the poli sci building, was renamed the Social Sciences building a few years ago and recently renamed Saunders Hall! Rainbows go to zztype, surfingfarmboy, shaveice, and mel for getting it right!

Question 2
Category: My Enemy's Enemy is My Friend
What rival companies were founded by the Dassler brothers?
That would be PUMA and Adidas, founded by Rudolf and Adolf Dassler in Germany. Adolf named his company after himself; I sorta wish Rudolf had named his company Rudidas.

Wet sponges go to zztype, helen, kevin_jay, surfingfarmboy, shaveice, and mel for running right through that one!

Question 3
Category: My Husband's (W)Easel
What painter claimed the legal rights to her work when her husband, who'd been taking credit, declined to participate in an in-court "paint-off" to demonstrate who the actual artist was?
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/keane.gif
Yeah, her work mostly sucks, but it is worth millions: Margaret Keane challenged her ex-husband to a paint-off in the park, but he was a no-show. Later, in court, Margaret painted one of her big-eyed waifs in about an hour, and her ex-husband said he had a sore shoulder so he couldn't paint! ZZ sent this link (http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issues/1999-04-15/news/feature2_print.html) to a great article about the whole thing.

Wide-eyed stares go to zztype, kevin_jay, and surfingfarmboy for keeping their eyes on the prize!

And for the first time in this game, we have a sole leader!
32: surfingfarmboy
30: shave ice
29: tiptoetulip
25: zztype
22: glen miyashiro
21: mel
19: lavagal
15: pzarquon
12.325: helen
8.875: kevin_jay

zztype
October 11th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Whattt?!! I don't understand? What happened to TiptoeTulip? Yeah, I wanted to catch up, but not by her dropping out!! Eh Tulip, come back!!

scrivener
October 11th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Here are the questions for Day 12!

Question 1
Category: Kwyjibo!
I was playing Yahoo! Literati a few weeks ago and my rack showed these letters: aadmrry
It was late in the game, I was considerably behind, and I really needed a seven-letter bingo! Time was ticking away, so I hurriedly threw letters on the board and got one! What was my seven-letter word?

Question 2
Category: The Frightening Thing Is Not Dying; The Frightening Thing Is Not Living
What member of Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue was the Grammy-winning producer of a recent, movie-soundtrack, surprise smash hit?

Question 3
Category: Towering Above the Rest
What television host said, in his first post-September-11 show, that his apartment used to have a view of the World Trade Center, but with the towers gone, it now had a view of the Statue of Liberty?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 12!

scrivener
October 11th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Whattt?!! I don't understand? What happened to TiptoeTulip? Yeah, I wanted to catch up, but not by her dropping out!! Eh Tulip, come back!!
This was the first day back from fall break for a lot of schools; I wonder if she's swamped with first-day-back stuff...

shaveice
October 11th, 2005, 09:51 PM
zz, don't you worry! tiptoe will not be denied! she's gonna rip us all to shreds! mark my words!

zztype
October 11th, 2005, 09:55 PM
zz, don't you worry! tiptoe will not be denied! she's gonna rip us all to shreds! mark my words!

Actually, I don't doubt that at all! What I really can't believe is how many gaffes I've pulled in MY answers so far. And all my goofed answers, she seems to nail, effortlessly! Grrr!

But still, I miss having the "gecko lady" around! :)

scrivener
October 11th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Yes, so far TipToeTulip and Shave Ice have been our come-out-of-nowhere contestants. I know Moto's on a trip, but I thought cezanne would have had fun with this (he did so well on the photo game). And where's EastCoastTropics? :sad:

zztype
October 11th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Question about today's question 1: I've never played Literati before and I'm reading the rules of play. Since you were late in your game, you would have had to play all 7 of your tiles in one swoop, against an existing tile on the board, correct?

Are we privvy to the tile on the board that completes your 8-letter word? Am I making correct assumptions here or am I completely on the wrong track?

Thanks, if you can answer this or clarify the question for me.

Blaine

lavagal
October 11th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Question about today's question 1: I've never played Literati before and I'm reading the rules of play. Since you were late in your game, you would have had to play all 7 of your tiles in one swoop, against an existing tile on the board, correct?

Are we privvy to the tile on the board that completes your 8-letter word? Am I making correct assumptions here or am I completely on the wrong track?

Thanks, if you can answer this or clarify the question for me.

Blaine

Don't need to be making an 8-letter word as this word could run along the side, top or bottom without being more than its own 7 letters. Hence, the a could sit on or under an m, the r could sit under an o, etc.
Love Scrabble. Play it every night.

scrivener
October 11th, 2005, 10:14 PM

I didn't HAVE to play all seven tiles, but I was running out of time to make my move (you have 3 minutes) and I was running out of time in the game (when the tiles are used up, the game is over), so I knew that it would take a seven-tile "bingo," which comes with a 35-point bonus, in order for me to win the game.

Sometimes, you play the seven tiles against an existing tile, making an eight-letter word, but sometimes you play them at the end of an existing word, extending the existing word by one letter (so "cab" becomes "cabs" going one way, and that S is part of your word going the other). In this case, all you need to be concerned about is that I made a seven-letter word with the letters I've shown you; the game itself is irrelevant. I was, you know, giving it a little bit of context just for interest's sake.

zztype
October 11th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks so much, that's all I needed to know.

Mahalo LavaGal, too. I love Scrabble, too!

tiptoetulip
October 11th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Hey Blaine (and everyone else!), I'm still here!

Aaaugh, I was going to at least send in the answer for #2 about those Dassler brothers. In fact, I had a message to scrivener, but I guess in all my back-to-school tiredness I must have closed my laptop without sending it! Oh well. Let me tell ya, I was irritated having realized that!

Yes, Scriv, a hectic back-to-school day, plus meetings in the afternoon. Thank goodness tomorrow is Wednesday---a "short" day. Still, some kids can make the day stretch on forrrrrrrevvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Mahalo to all who wondered where I am! I'll still do my best to answer what I can. :D

shaveice
October 12th, 2005, 09:06 PM
this is a question for zztype, kevin_jay, and surfingfarmboy who got the margaret keane question right: how'd you know? was it a fairly big story? i'd never heard of it (not surprising since i sometimes pay attention to the news and then i turn off for long periods of time....). even when i did a search on the web, i came up empty handed and wonder if perhaps i just typed in key words which weren't very helpful.

just wondering ;)

mel
October 12th, 2005, 09:26 PM
While people are questioning, I want to know more about this "tetra = 4" thing. I looked up sevral Tetris websites and an explanation for that answer was not mentioned. It would be appreciated if some of the more obscure answers be better explained or have a link to where further information can be found.

zztype
October 12th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Here's the explanation I found that I submitted and did not get correct:

tetris was named = "Tetra" (four) and "is" (the last two letters of the creator's [Alexey Pajitnov] favorite sport, tennis)

While people are questioning, I want to know more about this "tetra = 4" thing. I looked up sevral Tetris websites and an explanation for that answer was not mentioned. It would be appreciated if some of the more obscure answers be better explained or have a link to where further information can be found.

zztype
October 12th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I remembered the court case being mentioned in the news. Margaret Keane spent a lot of time here and was a big supporter of the Academy of Art. When this hit the news, it was a "big thing." I think I googled "big eye paintings" and "paint-off" and found the article I mentioned as backup confirmation.

this is a question for zztype, kevin_jay, and surfingfarmboy who got the margaret keane question right: how'd you know? was it a fairly big story? i'd never heard of it (not surprising since i sometimes pay attention to the news and then i turn off for long periods of time....). even when i did a search on the web, i came up empty handed and wonder if perhaps i just typed in key words which weren't very helpful.

just wondering ;)

lavagal
October 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I'm yawning! I'm yawning! I want my results! I want my next questions! I want my zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzssss!

zztype
October 12th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Awwww. I wanted to give you some gum! LOL! But I nomo right now! Funny!

I'm yawning! I'm yawning! I want my results! I want my next questions! I want my zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzssss!

lavagal
October 12th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Awwww. I wanted to give you some gum! LOL! But I nomo right now! Funny!

Thanks, anyway. I'd rather chew on some trivia! @:)

scrivener
October 12th, 2005, 10:20 PM
sorry. I was cooking. And doing laundry.

scrivener
October 12th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Here are the answers for Day 12!

Hey. Safari doesn't display the colors in the colors pull-down menu you see when you post a reply. I'm writing this using Explorer and am astounded.

Question 1
Category: Kwyjibo!
I was playing Yahoo! Literati a few weeks ago and my rack showed these letters: aadmrry
It was late in the game, I was considerably behind, and I really needed a seven-letter bingo! Time was ticking away, so I hurriedly threw letters on the board and got one! What was my seven-letter word?
The only valid seven-letter word using these letters is YARDARM, which means a big, dumb, balding, North American ape with no chin!

Just kidding. Surfingfarmboy says this word is all over the northeast in the names of restaurants. I find that amusing.

So fish and chips with extra vinegar to lavagal, glen miyashiro, palama kid, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, zztype, mel, and tiptoetulip for their correct answers!

Question 2
Category: The Frightening Thing Is Not Dying; The Frightening Thing Is Not Living
What member of Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue was the Grammy-winning producer of a recent, movie-soundtrack, surprise smash hit?

Okay. A couple things I want you to know about T Bone Burnett:
First, T Bone Burnett is the preferred spelling now. Once upon a time, he was T-Bone Burnett (with the hyphen), and before that he was J. Henry Burnett. But now, it's just T Bone Burnett. No Hyphen.
He is one of America's most successful record producers, guiding some truly landmark albums, including Counting Crows's first album, Los Lobos's How Will the Wolf Survive?, Elvis Costello's King of America, The Wallflowers's Bringing Down the Horse, and two albums by my favorite musician of all time, Bruce Cockburn.
His solo albums are works of pure brilliance. Genius. Bruce is my favorite musician, but more of T Bone's albums are in my top twenty than any other musician's.
The publishing rights for a great many of the songs on the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack never belonged to the original musicians and songwriters, or had been given up a long time ago. As you can guess, this album generated a LOT of money for T Bone and the record company, so T Bone went up in the Appalachians (or wherever he could find the musicians or their next of kin) and paid the rightful people himself. The man is a class act; the sort I model myself after.
T Bone is a Christian; another reason I am inspired by him. Being a Christian doesn't necessarily mean all the things a lot of you think of when you hear the word.

Okay. Enough fanboy stuff. Congratulations to shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, kilinahe, zztype, mel, and tiptoetulip for getting it right!

Question 3
Category: Towering Above the Rest
What television host said, in his first post-September-11 show, that his apartment used to have a view of the World Trade Center, but with the towers gone, it now had a view of the Statue of Liberty?
Jon Stewart. Check out this cool link (https://san.secure.newtimes.com/issues/2002-01-02/stuff.html) zztype sends us.

A moment of Zen for shave ice, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, kilinahe, zztype, and tiptoetulip for knowing that one!

35: surfingfarmboy
33: shave ice
32: tiptoetulip
28: zztype
23: glen miyashiro, mel
20: lavagal
18: pzarquon
12.325: helen
8.875: kevin_jay
2: madazza, kilinahe
1: palama kid

scrivener
October 12th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Here are the questions for Day 13!

Question 1
Category: Don't Give a Flying Duck!
In what comic strip (yes, I love comic strips) did a primary character recently hire a guard duck?

Question 2
Category: Superfreak!
A character named Boris, a key player in the novel by Mary Rodgers, was left out of the recent Jamie Lee Curtis / Lindsay Lohan movie (he makes a cameo, but is not part of the story). What surprising secret (but not really a secret) do we learn about Boris at the end of the book? I don't remember if we learn it at the end of the Jodie Foster film.

Question 3
Category: There's a Double Run in My Nylon
Why are some cribbage boards shaped like the number 29?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 14!

scrivener
October 12th, 2005, 11:15 PM
This question was intentionally worded so as to test your understanding of the game. I was careful not to say that this was WHY it was named Tetris, since I don't know for sure why it was named that; I asked what the name has to do with the game, and if you look at the game pieces you'll see that there are seven shapes, each of them a different arrangement of four blocks. Remember, I'm happy to hear appeals for different valid answers! Just let me know!

mel
October 12th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I'm not disputing the answer... just wanted a better explanation than what was initially posted.

shaveice
October 12th, 2005, 11:35 PM
hey scriv, thanks so much for the fun but i'm gonna have to throw in the towel! getting too busy with stuff; besides, i KNOW tiptoe is gonna rip us all to shreds! ha! ha! mark my words! she will not be denied! ha! ha!

i'll still look forward to reading the questions and answers, though.

adios,

shaveice

Surfingfarmboy
October 12th, 2005, 11:49 PM

just wondering ;)

I didn't Google it. I coyly brought up the subject with an owner of antique store in Newport who I "just happened to be talking to" that day..you know, you have to keep in touch with your friends ;) ....and she knew instantly.

I had a tough time with that question...I had no idea how to even begin to Google that question...if it wasn't for my antique store-owner friend, that question for sure would have been a miss.

kimo55
October 13th, 2005, 12:14 AM
sorry. I was cooking. And doing laundry.
get a beeyot... i mean girlfriend.

EastCoastTropics
October 13th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Yes, so far TipToeTulip and Shave Ice have been our come-out-of-nowhere contestants. I know Moto's on a trip, but I thought cezanne would have had fun with this (he did so well on the photo game). And where's EastCoastTropics? :sad:

I'm still here scrivener! Just been really busy wit stuffs here at home! :)

scrivener
October 13th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Gee.

I don't know why I said today's questions are due by 9 pm on the 14th. They're due by 9 pm on the 13th. Hope this doesn't mess anyone up. And if it does: oh well!

scrivener
October 13th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Here are the answers for Day 13!

Question 1
Category: Don't Give a Flying Duck!
In what comic strip (yes, I love comic strips) did a primary character recently hire a guard duck?
This link (http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/images/pearls2005114651014.gif) won't be good (http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/images/pearls2002441951012.gif) for more than (http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/images/pearls2005183141006.gif) three weeks, but yes, it is one of my favorites, Pearls Before Swine. Hullllooooo Zeeba Neighbas to helen, kilinahe, pzarquon, zztype, and lavagal for getting it right!

Question 2
Category: Superfreak!
A character named Boris, a key player in the novel by Mary Rodgers, was left out of the recent Jamie Lee Curtis / Lindsay Lohan movie (he makes a cameo, but is not part of the story). What surprising secret (but not really a secret) do we learn about Boris at the end of the book? I don't remember if we learn it at the end of the Jodie Foster film.
Well, the novel is Freaky Friday, which I actually meant to say but forgot. Kilinahe and Pzarquon remembered that it had something to do with the way Boris spoke, but then they said he just had a bad cold. It was allergies, actually, but that wasn't the surprise. The surpise is that everyone in the film had been calling him Boris forever, but it turns out that his name is Morris! It just sounds like "Boris" when he says it because he's all stuffed up.

Congratulations to Surfingfarmboy for getting his freak on. Helen gets a half point for saying that Boris wasn't his name. Surfingfarmboy says he got the library staff at the Bristol Public Library going crazy trying to dig this one up -- the library's copy of the novel was checked out!

Question 3
Category: There's a Double Run in My Nylon
Why are some cribbage boards shaped like the number 29?

As many of you know, 29 is the ultimate, perfect score in cribbage, achieved when the player is holding a Jack and three fives and the turned card on top of the cut deck is a five of a suit matching the Jack in the hand. Bonus cribs to palama kid, kevin_jay, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, and zztype for making the cut!

37: surfingfarmboy
33: shave ice
32: tiptoetulip
30: zztype
23: glen miyashiro, mel
21: lavagal
20: pzarquon
13.825: helen
9.875: kevin_jay
1: palama kid

scrivener
October 13th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Here are the questions for Day 14!

Question 1
Category: Writing's On the Wall
In an episode of Welcome Back Kotter, one of the characters paints a mural on a school wall for an art assignment. Who is the subject of this mural?

Question 2
Category: Board of Education!
Expo Dry-Erase markers typically come with either flat, squared tips or rounded, pointy tips. What names does the manufacturer give these two different tips?

Question 3
Category: Think! (contestant-submitted question!)
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia3.jpg
Who's this?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 14!

scrivener
October 14th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Here are the answers for Day 14!

Question 1
Category: Writing's On the Wall
In an episode of Welcome Back Kotter, one of the characters paints a mural on a school wall for an art assignment. Who is the subject of this mural?
You know, you could argue that this was a lame show, but I would argue back that it definitely had its moments. I had a Welcome Back, Kotter lunchbox, by the way. Wish I still had it!

Juan Epstein's painting is a nude of Mrs. Kotter, played by the curvy Marcia Strassman. Rowr.

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back to tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, kevin_j, palama kid, pzarquon, mel, lavagal, and zztype for shoving that question right up my nose with a rubber hose!

Question 2
Category: Board of Education!
Expo Dry-Erase markers typically come with either flat, squared tips or rounded, pointy tips. What names does the manufacturer give these two different tips?
I'm taking "fine point" as an acceptable answer because it satisfies the description I give in the question, but I was looking for chisel-point and bullet-point.

I know teachers who refuse to use the bullet-point markers, but they are fools! Fools, I tell you! The bullet-points are so, so, so, so much better that even though I've not been a fan of Expo markers (I'd been an Avery Marks-a-Lot man for years), I am now. Gold-star stickers and eraser-clapping duty go to tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, kevin_j, palama kid, pzarquon, lavagal, and zztype. Mel gets a half point for getting one of the two.

Question 3
Category: Think! (contestant-submitted question!)
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia3.jpg
Who's this?
This question was submitted by shave ice, who gets one point for at least two others' getting it correct!
It's Dr. Richard Feynman (http://www.feynman.com), a man shave ice admires mostly for having written a book called What Do You Care What Other People Think?.

Send some extra widgets and RAM to glen miyashiro, surfingfarmboy, kevin_j, mel, tiptoetulip, lavagal, and zztype for thinking exactly alike!

40: surfingfarmboy
34: shave ice
35: tiptoetulip
33: zztype
25.5: mel
24: glen miyashiro, lavagal
23: pzarquon
13.825: helen
12.875: kevin_jay
3: pomai, palama kid

N e w Q u e s t i o n s , N e x t P o s t !

scrivener
October 14th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Here are the questions for Day 15!

Question 1
Category: You Are So Not Getting This!
What water-themed publication includes in the center pages of its current issue a photo of Diane Ako in a bikini bottom?

Question 2
Category: Stump the Band!
What television program's recurring participants include Kiva and Anna?

Question 3
Category: It's My Life and I'll Do What I want!
"As I said, it's a good story, and I've had a good time telling it." Whose autobiography ends with these words?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 15!

scrivener
October 16th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Here are the answers for Day 15!

Question 1
Category: You Are So Not Getting This!
What water-themed publication includes in the center pages of its current issue a photo of Diane Ako in a bikini bottom?
Makai Magazine (http://www.makaihawaii.com) is one of those free magazines you can pick up all over town. I got mine at Nick's Cafe in Mapunapuna. The photo in question is, well, worth the price for sure, and then some. This magazine is in serious need of some copy-editing; if anyone knows the publisher, tell him to shoot me an email.

Only zztype got it, and he was guessing!

Question 2
Category: Stump the Band!
What television program's recurring participants include Kiva and Anna?
Kiva (http://www.grindergirl.com) is better known as "Grinder Girl," and Anna (http://www.annajack.com) is better known as "Hula Hoop Girl," on The Late Show with David Letterman, one of my favorite shows of all time.

Invitations to the Will it Float after-show party go to helen, surfingfarmboy, palama kid, mel, pzarquon, and zztype for grinding their way through those hoops.

Question 3
Category: It's My Life and I'll Do What I want!
"As I said, it's a good story, and I've had a good time telling it." Whose autobiography ends with these words?
Well. Without meaning to, I made this question harder than it should have been, because I misquoted former President Bill Clinton. The actual quote is, "As I said, I think it's a good story, and I've had a good time telling it." I was wondering why it wasn't Googling correctly.

Hail to the chief and to surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, and zztype for getting that one right.

42: surfingfarmboy
36: zztype
26.5: mel
25: pzarquon
14.825: helen
4: palama kid

scrivener
October 16th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Here are the questions for Day 16!

Question 1
Category: IBM Presents: You Make the Call!
In professional football, if, on a kickoff, a player on the receiving team touches the ball but it gets away from him and then goes out of bounds in the end zone, what is the ruling?

Question 2
Category: Repast Podcast!
In a recent HawaiiDiner podcast, what restaurant's cheeseburger was said to have been repeatedly and consistently disappointing to the panel of judges in this summer's quest for the best cheeseburger?

Question 3
Category: Oooh, That Smell!
What children's book tells the story of how a family of orphaned, baby skunks tries to survive its first year?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 16!

scrivener
October 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Here are the answers for Day 16!

Question 1
Category: IBM Presents: You Make the Call!
In professional football, if, on a kickoff, a player on the receiving team touches the ball but it gets away from him and then goes out of bounds in the end zone, what is the ruling?
From NFL.com: "Safety: The situation in which the ball is dead on or behind a teamís own goal if the impetus comes from a player on that team. Two points are scored for the opposing team."

This is my interpretation, but I'm going to check it out and get back to you all in a few days, correcting the score if necessary: When the receiver touches the ball, it's still live. If he or she touches it, it is returnable. If it then goes out of bounds, the "impetus" is from the receiver, meaning it's a safety. If someone can convince me otherwise, I'd appreciate it!

Big foam fingers to zztype for getting it right. Surfingfarmboy had it right, but changed his answer. Lavagal said the kicking team gets it back, which is pretty much true, but there's a free kick in there -- the team doesn't just get it back. Helen said the kicking team gets "one or two points," which would have been correct if the answer was just "two points."

Whew. Bring on the mud-flinging.

Question 2
Category: Repast Podcast!
In a recent HawaiiDiner podcast, what restaurant's cheeseburger was said to have been repeatedly and consistently disappointing to the panel of judges in this summer's quest for the best cheeseburger?
If you haven't listened to this podcast, you really must. With all due respect to several others who post here, I must say that HawaiiDiner's podcast is the best Hawaii-originated podcast out there. Consistently interesting, articulate, and delicious, it is a good reason to own an iPod.

The losing burger is Kua Aina, which helen, surfingfarmboy, zztype, mel, and pzarquon all got right!

Question 3
Category: Oooh, That Smell!
What children's book tells the story of how a family of orphaned, baby skunks tries to survive its first year?
The answer I was looking for is The Dangerous Year, which surfingfarmboy got! If someone can convince me that any of the other submitted answers is also described by my question, I'll be happy to award additional points!

I'll post the standings in the morning. My battery is about to die and I left the charger at work. Sorry! This means no new questions today -- I'll extend the game one day as a consequence.

I suck!

lavagal
October 17th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Mostly the only reason I didn't get in answers a few times this session was because I was so swamped with work, life, family, chores.

So it's kinda nice to have a break from trivia tonight, but I am going to have withdrawals if our academic doesn't send up three questions in a couple of hours.

Unless he's out on a date. Then that's OK.

zztype
October 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Hahaha! That's cute. Out on a date... Yeah, I would agree.

Go gettum, Scriv!

Blaine

scrivener
October 17th, 2005, 09:03 PM
:)
Yes, I had a date with Dr. Dorothy Douthit and fifteen classmates at the Hawaii Loa campus of HPU. I spent some serious bank on her, too. New questions coming up.

lavagal
October 17th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Yes, I had a date with Dr. Dorothy Douthit and fifteen classmates at the Hawaii Loa campus of HPU. I spent some serious bank on her, too. New questions coming up.

Group dates are good, even in a classroom setting. A step in the right direction. Ya never know when someone is gonna say "Here's my daughter's phone number. Call her."

scrivener
October 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM
It's the Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!
Here are the questions for day 17!

First, here are the current standings:
44: surfingfarmboy
38: zztype
27.5: mel
26: pzarquon
15.825: helen

Question 1
Category: A Lot of Hot Air and a Sinking Feeling
They were known as Led Zeppelin, but who is credited with inspiring this name? (I fully expect everyone in the room to get this one!)

Question 2
Category: Hold On to Your . . .
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia3.gif
What is this a drawing of? (hint: it's not a hat, and when you first saw this exact drawing, it was probably grey)

Question 3
Category: Enchanted

Ehuehu `oe i ka la`i o Kamakou
E kama `ia ke aloha a pa`a
E ola loa no `oe a kau i ka pua aneane.
E o mai i kou inoa
`O ke kupu`eu `oe o ke ki ho `alu.
Who is the subject of this mele?

scrivener
October 18th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Here are the answers for day 17!

Question 1
Category: A Lot of Hot Air and a Sinking Feeling
They were known as Led Zeppelin, but who is credited with inspiring this name? (I fully expect everyone in the room to get this one!)
Keith Moon, drummer for The Who. He'd been playing with bandmate John Entwistle in a sort of supergroup with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, and said the thing would go over "like a lead zeppelin." The first word was deliberately misspelled to avoid Americans' mispronouncing it "leed zeppelin."

A Whole Lotta Love to zztype, glen miyashiro, kilinahe, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, pzarquon, and mel for their excellent Misty Mountain Hop.

Question 2
Category: Hold On to Your . . .
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia3.gif
What is this a drawing of? (hint: it's not a hat, and when you first saw this exact drawing, it was probably grey)
You should all have asked your librarians or children, for surely they've read Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, in which it is explained that this drawing is of an elephant being swallowed by a boa constrictor.

I had no idea this would prove to be such a Rorschach test! Kilinahe saw a snail, and Surfingfarmboy said, "The rear view of two cats, standing flush against one another, eating out of a single bowl." Says mel: "Someone told me this is a snake swallowing/eating an elephant. Not a very good thing if you are a Republican. But I am sure a lot of people on this board would be happy if Republicans got swallowed by a snake."

Perhaps this illustration will help (also from The Little Prince):
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/elephant_boa.jpg
Sheep drawings go to glen miyashiro, mel, and lavagal for getting it right, and a half-pint--I mean half-point-- goes to helen for saying "a snake eating something."

Question 3
Category: Enchanted

Ehuehu `oe i ka la`i o Kamakou
E kama `ia ke aloha a pa`a
E ola loa no `oe a kau i ka pua aneane.
E o mai i kou inoa
`O ke kupu`eu `oe o ke ki ho `alu.
Who is the subject of this mele?
Sheesh. I should have googled this before I posted it. Since when do liner notes get posted to the web by the record labels that publish them? That's odd! Well, yes, it is Sonny Chillingworth, one of the greatest slack-key guitarists ever, ever, ever. He was awesome, and his album on Dancing Cat Records, Sonny Solo is a must-own for even the most casual of ki ho`alu fans!

The chant was written and performed by Kalena Silva in Sonny's honor. You can see it in its entirety (with translation) here (http://www.dancingcat.com/notes/08022-38005-2.php).

Hana hous to zztype, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, and mel for their excellent googling skills!

46: surfingfarmboy
40: zztype
30.5: mel
28: pzarquon
26: glen miyashiro, lavagal
16.325: helen
3: pomai, kilinahe

scrivener
October 18th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Here are the questions for day 18!

Question 1
Category: Make Mine a Redeye
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia2.gif
This is one molecule of a common, everyday chemical. What is it?

Question 2
Category: Everything That Rises Must Converge
What is the name given to the concept stating that members of a bureaucracy rise to their respective levels of incompetence?

Question 3 (contestant-submitted question)
Category: How Many Roads Must a Man Walk Down?
Maybe you already knew that Hawaii had four interstates, not just three, and that the mysterious fourth stretch of road only recently got outed after years disguised as State Route 78. But do you know why, in 1989, the state requested the route be made an official "Interstate highway" in the first place?

Good luck! Please submit your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on the 19th!

tiptoetulip
October 18th, 2005, 10:37 PM
You should all have asked your librarians or children, for surely they've read Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, in which it is explained that this drawing is of an elephant being swallowed by a boa constrictor.

Y'know, I looked at it and knew it was an elephant having been swallowed by a snake....is that just the teacher in me? ;) Must come from having to figure out all the drawings from the kiddies!

Oh well, I am way too busy to really continue the trivia. :( Report cards call...

Have fun....Blaine, you get 'um!!

zztype
October 19th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Y'know, I looked at it and knew it was an elephant having been swallowed by a snake....is that just the teacher in me? ;) Must come from having to figure out all the drawings from the kiddies!

Oh well, I am way too busy to really continue the trivia. :( Report cards call...

Have fun....Blaine, you get 'um!!
Awwwww, junk!!! But I do understand. Take care of those kids!
Blaine

scrivener
October 19th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Here are the answers for day 18!

Question 1
Category: Make Mine a Redeye
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia2.gif
This is one molecule of a common, everyday chemical. What is it?
That heavenly nectar of the gods of morning, caffeine. Red Bulls go to surfingfarmboy, kilinahe, pzarquon, kevin_jay, and lavagal for their alert adrenal glands.

Surfingfarmboy adds this bit of trivia about caffeine:
"My little bit of trivia for you abour caffeine: Marathoners are only allowed to have so much caffeine in their blood, if they are subject to drug testing, i.e., after getting their blood tested upon winning a race or placing in prize money. The maximum amount allowed is the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee. The USTAF, the body which governs official American qualifying marathons, such as Boston, New York, and Honolulu, considers caffeine a controlled, performance enhancing substance, and as such, regulates its use in marathons severely. The normal amount you get in drinking a cup or two of coffee is okay; to take 6 tablets of No-Doze, if caught, will get one disqualified."

Question 2
Category: Everything That Rises Must Converge
What is the name given to the concept stating that members of a bureaucracy rise to their respective levels of incompetence?
That would be The Peter Principal, named by the author of the book with the same name. Dr. Something Peter; I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up. Helen, surfingfarmboy, kilinahe, pzarquon, and lavagal rose above their levels of incompetence and nailed that one.

Honorable mention goes to mel for his answer: Democrats.

Question 3 (contestant-submitted question)
Category: How Many Roads Must a Man Walk Down?
Maybe you already knew that Hawaii had four interstates, not just three, and that the mysterious fourth stretch of road only recently got outed after years disguised as State Route 78. But do you know why, in 1989, the state requested the route be made an official "Interstate highway" in the first place?
Here's the answer as it was mailed to me:
"According to Russell Iwasa of Hawaii DOT, "Moanalua Road [now Moanalua Freeway] was reclassified to Interstate status ... to correct a nonconforming condition at the junction of Moanalua Road and Interstate H-1 near Fort Shafter and Middle Street. The nonconforming condition was that (looking Ewa or West-bound for instance) Moanalua Road constituted an Interstate exit on the wrong (left) side of the Interstate. Reclassifying Moanalua Road to an Interstate corrected that condition." (From Oscar Voss' great HawaiiHighways.com)"

Okay. How many of you knew that before you Googled it? Not me! However, helen, surfingfarmboy, mel, and zztype correctly answered pzarquon's question, which means pz gets a point also!

49: surfingfarmboy
41: zztype
31.5: mel
31: pzarquon
28: lavagal
26: glen miyashiro
18.325: helen
13.875: kevin_jay
5: kilinahe

scrivener
October 19th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Here are the questions for day 19! Today's theme: Similarities!

Question 1
Category: Who Are You?

Infinity by Journey
5150 by Van Halen
Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
A Trick of the Tale by Genesis
Feel Euphoria by Spock's Beard
Images and Words by Dream Theater

What do the these albums have in common?

Question 2
Category: Deep

Troy Brown, defensive back, New England Patriots
Randy Moss, wide receiver, Oakland Raiders
Chad Pennington, quarterback, New York Jets
Byron Leftwich, quarterback, Jacksonville Jaguars
Peyton Manning, quarterback, Indianapolis Colts
Darius Watts, wide receiver, Denver Broncos

Which NFL player doesn't belong on this list? (hint: it has nothing to do with age, field position, or time)

Question 3
Category: Fin

Married with Children
Hope & Faith
Dynasty
Herndon
The Love Boat
Happy Days

What do these television shows have in common?

Please submit your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on October 19! Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

scrivener
October 20th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Here are the answers for day 19!

Question 1
Category: Who Are You?

Infinity by Journey
5150 by Van Halen
Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
A Trick of the Tale by Genesis
Feel Euphoria by Spock's Beard
Images and Words by Dream Theater

What do the these albums have in common?
Hmmm...only Kilinahe and ZZType knew that these albums were significant in these groups' history, as they were the first albums with new lead singers: Steve Perry with Journey, Sammy Hagar with Van Halen, Ronnie James Dio with Black Sabbath, Phil Collins with Genesis, Nick D'Virgilio with Spock's Beard, and James LaBrie with Dream Theater. In the cases of D'Virgilio and Collins (just for your info), these new singers were already members of the bands -- drummers, both -- and stepped out from behind the drum kit to assume lead vocal duties. In the cases of Perry, Collins, and LaBrie, the new singers marked new commercial success for the bands and became in most listeners' minds the signature voices.

Question 2
Category: Deep

Troy Brown, defensive back, New England Patriots
Randy Moss, wide receiver, Oakland Raiders
Chad Pennington, quarterback, New York Jets
Byron Leftwich, quarterback, Jacksonville Jaguars
Peyton Manning, quarterback, Indianapolis Colts
Darius Watts, wide receiver, Denver Broncos

Which NFL player doesn't belong on this list? (hint: it has nothing to do with age, field position, or time)
Everyone on this list, except for Peyton Manning played college football as members of Marshall University's Thundering Herd! Rah! Rah! Rah! to helen, mel, and surfingfarmboy for leaping into the endzone on that one!

Question 3
Category: Fin

Married with Children
Hope & Faith
Dynasty
Herndon
The Love Boat
Happy Days

What do these television shows have in common?
Oh, boy. Ted McGinley, the patron saint of shark-jumping (http://www.jumptheshark.com/ted.htm), was a member of the casts of all of these shows! Bowls of shark-fin soup go to helen and surfingfarmboy for nailing that one!

51: surfingfarmboy
42: zztype
32.5: mel
31: pzarquon
28: lavagal
20.325: helen
6: kilinahe

scrivener
October 20th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Here are the questions for day 20!

Question 1
Category: The Hambone's Connected to the . . .
What item of sporting use is traditionally, in some circles, rubbed with a hambone?

Question 2
Category: Is It in You?
What Gatorade-related product might you have found in the candy aisle, once upon a time?

Question 3
Category: Wow-Wee.
What Maui destination features a rock with a strange likeness to a former US President, and who is this President?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 21!

scrivener
October 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
Here are the answers for day 20!

Question 1
Category: The Hambone's Connected to the . . .
What item of sporting use is traditionally, in some circles, rubbed with a hambone?
If you've never boned a baseball bat, you haven't lived. Most evidence seems to indicate that none of the traditional reasons for boning a bat are actually accomplished by the practice. Big League Chew to lavagal, mel, surfingfarmboy, and zztype for not striking out there. There were a few guesses related to rugby -- do you guys know something about rugby that I don't?

Question 2
Category: Is It in You?
What Gatorade-related product might you have found in the candy aisle, once upon a time?
Gatorgum! Or Gatorade Gum, but that's not as cool a name. It was dry and crumbly, but it still managed to be juicy. Did its sourness just stimulate your salivary glands or something? Trips to the candy store go to pzqarquon, lavagal, jdub, mel, surfingfarmboy, and zztype for sticking that one out.

Question 3
Category: Wow-Wee.
What Maui destination features a rock with a strange likeness to a former US President, and who is this President?
It's President John F. Kennedy in Maui's Iao Valley State Park. Hail to pzarquon, lavagal, jdub (half a point for getting the president right), mel, surfingfarmboy, helen, and zztype!

54: surfingfarmboy
45: zztype
35.5: mel
33: pzarquon
31: lavagal
21.325: helen
6: kilinahe
1.5: jdub

scrivener
October 21st, 2005, 11:05 PM
Here are the questions for day 21!

Question 1
Category: What's in a Name?
For one eighth of a point each, name the popular musicians or bands who are also known by these nicknames:
Slowhand
The Boss
The Motor City Madman
The Godfather of Soul
The Queen of Soul
The Bad Boys from Boston
Great Gonzo
That Little Old Band from Texas
The King of Rock and Roll
The Waimea Cowboy
The Red Rocker
The King of the World
The Man in Black
The Master of the Telecaster (I'm looking for someone who's not a member of the E Street band)
The Killer
The Red-Headed Stranger

Question 2
Category: Come Gather 'Round People, Wherever You Roam
In what popular game does it cost one white mana to cast a Sacred Rites spell?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 22!

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
October 22nd, 2005, 11:01 PM
Here are the answers for day 21!

Question 1
Category: What's in a Name?
For one eighth of a point each, name the popular musicians or bands who are also known by these nicknames:
Slowhand -- Eric Clapton
The Boss -- Bruce Springsteen
The Motor City Madman -- Ted Nugent
The Godfather of Soul -- James Brown
The Queen of Soul -- Aretha Franklin
The Bad Boys from Boston -- Aerosmith
Great Gonzo -- Ted Nugent; however, see below!
That Little Old Band from Texas -- ZZ Type. I mean ZZ Top.
The King of Rock and Roll -- Elvis Presley
The Waimea Cowboy -- Sonny Chillingworth
The Red Rocker -- Sammy Hagar
The King of the World -- Clarence Clemons
The Man in Black -- Johnny Cash
The Master of the Telecaster (I'm looking for someone who's not a member of the E Street band) -- Albert Collins
The Killer -- Jerry Lee Lewis
The Red-Headed Stranger -- Willie Nelson
I'm almost SURE "The Great Gonzo" isn't just something that appears on Ted Nugent's albums, but I couldn't find much evidence to back that up, so everyone's getting credit for that one. There were multiple (incorrect) guesses on The King of the World, but my favorite was "Leonardo DiCaprio" by Kilinahe and Pzarquon (Hey...are you two playing as a team?). There were also multiple guesses on Master of the Telecaster. If you can send me some convincing evidence that your answer is as good as mine, I'll give you the eighth of a point.

ZZtype got 16 right! With 15 are mel, surfingfarmboy, and pzarquon. 14: kevin_jay and lavagal. 13: Kilinahe. 10: jdub. 7: helen.

Question 2
Category: Come Gather 'Round People, Wherever You Roam
In what popular game does it cost one white mana to cast a Sacred Rites spell?
Mel, zztype, kevin_jay, and pzarquon all correctly identified the collectible card game, Magic: The Gathering. Surfingfarmboy gets a half point for saying "Odyssey," which is the name of a card-series in Magic.

56.375: surfingfarmboy
48: zztype
37.875: mel
pzarquon: 35.375
32.75: lavagal
22.1: helen
16.75: kevin_jay
7.625: kilinahe
2.75: jdub

scrivener
October 22nd, 2005, 11:41 PM
Here are the questions for day 22!

Question 1
Category: Film Flam
What was the first film to be given the MPAA PG-13 rating?

Question 2
Category: Live Aid
What Nobel Peace Prize-winning organization provides medical care to people in poor countries?

Question 3
Category: Moo Juice
Why was local milk recalled in 1983?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 23!

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
October 23rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
Here are the answers for day 22!

Question 1
Category: Film Flam
What was the first film to be given the MPAA PG-13 rating?
The first film awarded the PG-13 rating was The Flamingo Kid, while the first film to be released with the rating was Red Dawn ("Woooolveriiiiiiiiines!") -- both of which I decided before posting the question were good answers. Popcorn and Junior Mints to helen, surfingfarmboy, kevin_jay, zztype, and lavagal for their strong language and adult situations!

Question 2
Category: Live Aid
What Nobel Peace Prize-winning organization provides medical care to people in poor countries?
In English-speaking countries, it's Doctors Without Borders; its official name is Medecins Sans Frontieres, and if there's a more deserving organization, I can't think of one. I almost think they should have retired the award after it was given to them.

One point to helen, surfingfarmboy, mel, kevin_jay, zztype, and lavagal for getting that one right.

Question 3
Category: Moo Juice
Why was local milk recalled in 1983?
Heptachlor, an insecticide that was used on pineapples, was showing up in too-high quantities in milk. The pineapple tops were fed to cows, and you can figure out the rest. Heptachlor was a known carcinogen, but it is no longer used in the United States, according to surfingfarmboy, who'd know! Mel and zztype also got this one right.

Honorable mention goes to helen for "foremost" (which, in a way, I suppose is correct!) and lavagal for "It had chocolate in it and it looked kinda pink so even though it wasnít tainted, it was recalled for aesthetic reasons." Wow. That last one's a doozy.

59.375: surfingfarmboy
51: zztype
39.875: mel
35.375: pzarquon
34.75: lavagal
24.1: helen
18.75: kevin_jay
7.625: kilinahe

scrivener
October 23rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
Here are the questions for day 23!

Question 1
Category: The Boat-Rocker
In a recent issue of Rolling Stone, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. levels a serious accusation against the American medical and pharmaceutical communities for covering up the drug-manufacturers' apparent contribution to skyrocketing numbers of autistic children. RFK Jr. says it's from mercury levels given to children by the drug-manufacturers. How did the mercury find its way into our children, and what's it doing there anyway?

Question 2
What movie character tells his favorite author that he stopped getting along with his father the summer he read "The Boat-Rocker?"

Question 3
If the float on an outrigger canoe rips loose when the canoe is full of paddlers, which way does the canoe tilt? (note: just the float -- the arms that attach the float to the canoe are still on the boat)

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 24!

Good luck, and have fun!

Surfingfarmboy
October 23rd, 2005, 11:31 PM
Little side note on heptachlor: While it isn't available for use in the USA, as an insecticide, I believe it is still okay, if I recall correctly, for use in some electrical equipment, like the transformers one sees up on utility poles. I think heptachlor is still used as an insecticide in some countries, though I don't know which ones in particular.

scrivener
October 23rd, 2005, 11:32 PM
Little side note on heptachlor: While it isn't available for use in the USA, as an insecticide, I believe it is still okay, if I recall correctly, for use in some electrical equipment, like the transformers one sees up on utility poles. I think heptachlor is still used as an insecticide in some countries, though I don't know which ones in particular.
What purpose does it serve on electrical equipment? Keep bugs out of stuff?

Surfingfarmboy
October 23rd, 2005, 11:43 PM
What purpose does it serve on electrical equipment? Keep bugs out of stuff?

I just went to a web-site that confirmed what I thought I remembered about heptachlor. It is indeed used in electrical transformers to specifically control fire ant infestations! ( I never knew this!)

lavagal
October 24th, 2005, 04:50 AM
[QUOTE=scrivener]It's the Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!

Heptachlor, an insecticide that was used on pineapples, was showing up in too-high quantities in milk. ... and lavagal for "It had chocolate in it and it looked kinda pink so even though it wasnít tainted, it was recalled for aesthetic reasons." Wow. That last one's a doozy. [QUOTE]

Hey! Come on! Doesn't any body remember when milk was recalled because of trace quantities of chocolate in it and simply because it was tinted pink? Anyone? ANYONE?

scrivener
October 24th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Here are the answers for day 23!

Question 1
In a recent issue of Rolling Stone, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. levels a serious accusation against the American medical and pharmaceutical communities for covering up the drug-manufacturers' apparent contribution to skyrocketing numbers of autistic children. RFK Jr. says it's from mercury levels given to children by the drug-manufacturers. How did the mercury find its way into our children, and what's it doing there anyway?
Mercury is an ingredient in thimerosol, a preservative in vaccines. The vaccines, when stored in multiple-dosage vials, needed the preservatives in order to combat contamination when needles went back to the vials. Single-dose vials don't need it, but they cost more. Pzarquon asks that we make note of the notes and corrections in italics at the end of the article at The Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/7395411).

Lavagal, mel, surfingfarmboy, kilinahe, pzarquon, and zztype got it right; helen gets half a point for knowing it was in vaccines.

Question 2
What movie character tells his favorite author that he stopped getting along with his father the summer he read "The Boat-Rocker?"
It was Ray Kinsella, the main character in one of my all-time favorites, Field of Dreams. Hotdogs and Cracker Jack go to lavagal, surfingfarmboy (who calls this the second agriculture-related question in a row), kilinahe, pzarquon, zztype, and helen swung for the bleachers on that one.

Question 3
If the float on an outrigger canoe rips loose when the canoe is full of paddlers, which way does the canoe tilt? (note: just the float -- the arms that attach the float to the canoe are still on the boat)
A few people said that without the float, the weight of the arms would tilt the boat in their direction, which is exactly what I would have thought, if I hadn't seen for myself that the arms swing upward. I guess the weight of the float itself holds that side down, but does that mean the hull is weighted unevenly?

Hut, Ho! to lavagal, mel, and helen for getting it right!

here are the current standings!
61.375: surfingfarmboy
53: zztype
41.875: mel
37.375: pzarquon
37.75: lavagal
26.6: helen
18.75: kevin_jay
9.625: kilinahe

scrivener
October 24th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Here are the questions for day 24!

Question 1
Category: Kwyjibo, Part 2
For one-third of a point each, what Hawaii personalities' names are discovered when the letters in these phrases are re-arranged?
koala rice.
Dine, you alien.
Still chant? I do.
Fink's afar.
I gell inland.
Hell! Yuk!
Tomato map? Ha!
Jams alone.
Laying chem.

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Octoer 25!

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
October 25th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Here are the answers for day 24!

Question 1
Category: Kwyjibo, Part 2
For one-third of a point each, what Hawaii personalities' names are discovered when the letters in these phrases are re-arranged?
koala rice.
Carole Kai

Dine, you alien.
Daniel Inouye

Still chant? I do.
Lilo and Stitch! Nobody got this one!

Fink's afar.
Frank Fasi

I gell inland.
Linda Lingle

Hell! Yuk!
Kelly Hu

Tomato map? Ha!
Pat Hamamoto

Jams alone.
Jason Elam

Laying chem.
Emily Chang

I don't know about you, but I thought those were fun. For those of you who don't know this trick, when you have to anagram something, a good way to figure the word out is to arrange the letters in the shape of a pyramid. With short words, as can be found in the Jumble puzzles, you'll get the word almost immediately!

Here's how the scoring broke down:
mel, surfingfarmboy, and palama kid got 8 of 9.
kevin_jay got 7.
moto (yay! the return of moto!) and zztype got 6.
helen got 4.
lavagal got 2.

Here are the current cumulative scores:
64.045: surfingfarmboy
55: zztype
44.545: mel
37.375: pzarquon
38.42: lavagal
27.93: helen
21.08: kevin_jay
6.67: palama kid
2: madazza, moto

scrivener
October 25th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Here are the questions for day 25!

Question 1
Category: You Belong Among the Wildflowers
According to many differing legends, what Hawaiian flower came to be when lovers were forced to separate, with one now living near the sea and the other in the mountains?

Question 2
Category: Say Hello to My Little Friends
Whose friends include Spike, Shermy, Rerun, Franklin, and 5?

Question 3
Category: I See Your True Colors Shining Through
Yellow, blue, red, purple, orange, ________, maroon, black.
If you noticed these colors while watching ESPN, what color would best fit in the blank?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 26!

Good luck, and have fun!

pzarquon
October 26th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Still chant? I do.
Lilo and Stitch! Nobody got this one!Well, everyone else on your list is, you know, real? Are "Lilo & Stitch" Hawaii personalities? :p

mel
October 26th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I don't know about you, but I thought those were fun. For those of you who don't know this trick, when you have to anagram something, a good way to figure the word out is to arrange the letters in the shape of a pyramid. With short words, as can be found in the Jumble puzzles, you'll get the word almost immediately!

A better trick is to use one of the many online Anagram generators that are available out there. Here are 3 that I used for the game:

http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/advanced.html

http://www.mi.uib.no/~ingeke/anagram/index_eng.html

http://futureboy.homeip.net/lookup/nph-anagram.pl

Of course none came up with "Lilo and Stitch", but then again I was only looking for real people.

Leo Lakio
October 26th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Oh, Mel, Mel, Mel...even you fall victim to the OT disease, don't you? (Never fear - you are amongst supportive friends.) :p

pzarquon
October 26th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Online and computerized descrambler tools are neat, but they're more likely to choke when it comes to names, especially, you know, local names. So, of course, they make the best scrambles. I've never tried the pyramid trick before, but I can imagine how it works. Interesting.

Surfingfarmboy
October 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I solved the anagrams I was having difficulty with by taking out my Scrabble board and tiles and rearranged the letters in the tough ones until I found a name that sounded familiar in the realm of Hawai'i personalities.

mel
October 26th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Online and computerized descrambler tools are neat, but they're more likely to choke when it comes to names, especially, you know, local names. So, of course, they make the best scrambles. I've never tried the pyramid trick before, but I can imagine how it works. Interesting.

One of the anagram sites I used had sub-categories for names, male, female, Japanese, Spanish and other languages. The Japanese option helped me find Pat Hamamoto and Emily Chang. The names helped me narrow done Daniel, and that only left me the letters to spell "Inouye"... But overall the anagram gens usually help you with English words and names.

Palama Kid
October 26th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I solved the anagrams I was having difficulty with by taking out my Scrabble board and tiles and rearranged the letters in the tough ones until I found a name that sounded familiar in the realm of Hawai'i personalities.

I solved the anagrams because 1) most of the names were oldies-but-goodies (thanks Scrivener) and 2) when I googled Hawaii and celebrities, I got a list of caricatures by an artist. Some of the names showed up on this list.

Two I previously knew nothing about: Pat Hamamoto and Emily Chang.

Palama Kid

scrivener
October 26th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Well, everyone else on your list is, you know, real? Are "Lilo & Stitch" Hawaii personalities? :p
Oh sure...you want them all to be as easy as "Hell Yuk," hm? :)

lavagal
October 26th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Oh sure...you want them all to be as easy as "Hell Yuk," hm? :)

Hey! Quit fartin' around. Mark our tests! Tally the scores! Make like a teacher and give us our grades!

scrivener
October 26th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Here are the answers for day 25!

Question 1
Category: You Belong Among the Wildflowers
According to many differing legends, what Hawaiian flower came to be when lovers were forced to separate, with one now living near the sea and the other in the mountains?
There are many very different versions of the story; just Google Naupaka and you're bound to turn them up! Congratulations to jdub, moto, pzarquon, glen miyashiro, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, and mel for getting to the root of that question and leafing no doubt about their brilliance.

Question 2
Category: Say Hello to My Little Friends
Whose friends include Spike, Shermy, Rerun, Franklin, and 5?
Technically, Spike is Snoopy's brother and not really Charlie Brown's friend, but you get the drift. Wah-wah-wah, wah-wah-wah-wah wah to moto, pzarquon, helen (who said "Peppermint Patty," but that's good enough), palama kid, surfingfarmboy, lavanet, and mel for knowing their Schlabotnik.

Question 3
Category: I See Your True Colors Shining Through
Yellow, blue, red, purple, orange, ________, maroon, black.
If you noticed these colors while watching ESPN, what color would best fit in the blank?
These are the colors of the first 8 balls in a standard pool set. The six-ball is green, which moto, pzarquon, helen, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, lavagal, and mel all got right!

Here're the Current Standings!
67.045: surfingfarmboy
55: zztype
47.545: mel
41.42: lavagal
40.375: pzarquon
29.93: helen
27: glen miyashiro
9.67: palama kid
5: moto

Next post: new questions!

scrivener
October 26th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Here are the questions for day 26!

Question 1
Category: Uh-Huh, Sugar Sugar
What's the name of the locally available Japanese candy wrapped in edible rice paper and packaged with what used to be a fun little toy but is now usually a sticker or a removable tattoo?

Question 2
Category: Pie are Square
What is the Greek name for a "pie" made with filo leaves, feta cheese, and spinach?

Question 3
Category: Bottle Rock-it
What nationally distributed soda is sold in bottles labeled with photographs sent in by loyal drinkers?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 27!

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
October 27th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Here are the answers for day 26!

Question 1
Category: Uh-Huh, Sugar Sugar
What's the name of the locally available Japanese candy wrapped in edible rice paper and packaged with what used to be a fun little toy but is now usually a sticker or a removable tattoo?
What the heck is Botan Ame? Three people submitted that as an answer, and I'm taking it, but what is it?

The answer I was LOOKING for was TOMOE AME. Little plastic cars with removable snap-on wheels go to mel, surfingfarmboy, zztype, moto, leo_lakio, pzarquon, and palama kid for eating through that one.

Fun answer from Surfingfarmboy:

I guess one would just call it "ame". I remember two brands of it..."Botan Ame" and "Tomoe Ame". Good stuff! My alltime fav Japanese candy imports: The grape Hi-Chews and those blocks of colorful, fruit flavored millet jelly cubes, also wrapped in the melt-a-way rice paper. And also: The Kasugai pineapple gummies! Wow...I could go on and on! Can't wait to get back home in about 4 weeks...I'm going to Daiei and load up on these goodies! I gotta say this about Japanese candies...it seems they are all redundantly wrapped...you have unwrap 3 layers of wrapping of each piece before you get to the candy..well, sometimes it just seems so!

Question 2
Category: Pie are Square
What is the Greek name for a "pie" made with filo leaves, feta cheese, and spinach?
Spanakopita. It's good, but spend your bucks on a shawerma or a souvlaki. Spanakopita is always overpriced for what it is. Grape leaves and hummus go to mel, surfingfarmboy, zztype, moto, leo_lakio, pzarquon, palama kid, and lavarock for eating through that one!

Question 3
Category: Bottle Rock-it
What nationally distributed soda is sold in bottles labeled with photographs sent in by loyal drinkers?
Jones Soda! If I were a teenager, I'd collect these things. Good thing I'm no teenager. Root beers go to mel, surfingfarmboy, zztype, moto, leo_lakio, pzarquon, palama kid, and lavagal for slurping that one down!

A little note: zz's scores weren't up last night because I never got the pmail he insists he sent. Given his track record for participation, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and awarding him three points, which are reflected in the scores that follow.

I'd do the same for you.

70.045: surfingfarmboy
61: zztype
50.545: mel
43.42: lavagal
43.375: pzarquon
29.93: helen
12.67: palama kid
8: moto
3: pomai, leo_lakio

scrivener
October 27th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Here are the questions for day 27! Only four days to go, or thereabouts!

Question 1
Category: How to Get Ahead (contestant-submitted question)
After this TV villain was executed his head was stuck on a pike "as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price." What was the name of this villain and from what television program is this?

Question 2
Category: Praise the Lord (contestant-submitted question)
Question: Jack Lord, the famous actor who starred in Hawaii Five-O, is indirectly immortalized with a natural topographical landmark within the State of Hawai'i. What is the name of this landmark, and on what island will you find it?

Question 3
Category: Yet Another Literature Question (HT-submitted question)
What nineteenth century writer's novel for children inspired the name of a psychopathological condition that causes one to perceive objects as being much smaller than their actual size, as when a pet cat appears to be the size of a small rat, and what is the name of the syndrome?

Half-point bonus question: This condition has another name that is also literature-inspired! What novel inspired this second name?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 28!

Good luck, and have fun!

Leo Lakio
October 28th, 2005, 06:55 AM
What the heck is Botan Ame? Three people submitted that as an answer, and I'm taking it, but what is it? The answer I was LOOKING for was TOMOE AME.
When I told my sweetie about this question and my answer, she knew it as Tomoe Ame as well, but I've always been able to get it on the Mainland (even when I was growing up in Iowa) as Botan Ame; complete with the little toy cars and stuff - now just the stickers. Google "Botan Ame" and you'll find it easily. Thanks for the points!

P.S.) Jones Soda is bottled here in li'l ol' Seattle, so I HAD to know that one.

scrivener
October 28th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Oops. Double post.

scrivener
October 28th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Here are the answers for day 27!

Question 1
Category: How to Get Ahead (contestant-submitted question)
After this TV villain was executed his head was stuck on a pike "as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price." What was the name of this villain and from what television program is this?
Not only did helen correctly answer Mr. Morden from Babylon 5, but helen also guessed that it was Mel who submitted the question! Also coming through for mel on that one were zztype, helen, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, palama kid, and lavagal! Mel gets a point, too, since at least two people got it right.

Question 2
Category: Praise the Lord (contestant-submitted question)
Question: Jack Lord, the famous actor who starred in Hawaii Five-O, is indirectly immortalized with a natural topographical landmark within the State of Hawai'i. What is the name of this landmark, and on what island will you find it?
Here's the answer sent in by Surfingfarmboy:

Answer: Pu'u BookEmDanno, a volcanic rise, approximately 7600 ft. above sea
level, is found on the Big Island, about 2 miles east of the Honuaula Forest
Reserve, in North Kona.

Source: The DeLorme Hawaii Atlas and Gazetteer, 1999 edition.

Aaaaaaaaand nobody got it! No points to anyone! No, pz, you don't get half a point for just guessing the Big Island!

Question 3
Category: Yet Another Literature Question (HT-submitted question)
What nineteenth century writer's novel for children inspired the name of a psychopathological condition that causes one to perceive objects as being much smaller than their actual size, as when a pet cat appears to be the size of a small rat, and what is the name of the syndrome?

Half-point bonus question: This condition has another name that is also literature-inspired! What novel inspired this second name?
From Peshkwe: The Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, inspired by Lewis Carrol. This is also known as Liliputian sight, which is inspired by Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels.

zztype, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, palama kid, and mel got the question right as well as the bonus half-point. Peshkwe gets on the board with these first points!

72.545: surfingfarmboy
63.5: zztype
53.045: mel
44.42: lavagal
45.875: pzarquon
30.93: helen
15.17: palama kid
1.5: peshkwe

New questions, next thingie.

scrivener
October 28th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Here are the questions for day 28! Only three (?) days to go, or thereabouts!

Question 1
Category: Tickling the Ivories
What notes, at the very least, make up a dominant seventh chord played in D major?

Question 2
Category: Clowntime is Over
Question: Diana Krall played with the Honolulu Symphony Pops last spring, and Elvis Costello is playing with the Honolulu Symphony Pops next spring. What's oddly interesting about these two concerts?

Question 3
Category: Hop to It!
What beer's bottles are labeled with the number 33?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 29!

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
October 30th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Here are the answersfor day 28!

Question 1
Category: Tickling the Ivories
What notes, at the very least, make up a dominant seventh chord played in D major?
D, F#, A, and C#! Ah, the trill of victory goes to zztype and surfingfarmboy!

Question 2
Category: Clowntime is Over
Question: Diana Krall played with the Honolulu Symphony Pops last spring, and Elvis Costello is playing with the Honolulu Symphony Pops next spring. What's oddly interesting about these two concerts?
Well, they're married. I don't guess that happens very often. zztype, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, lavagal, and mel all got that one. Man, that Elvis show is going to rock.

Question 3
Category: Hop to It!
What beer's bottles are labeled with the number 33?
Rolling Rock, which Lavagal says was her "first beer and worst hangover!" A tall cold one to zztype, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, lavagal, and mel for rolling right over that.

75.545: surfingfarmboy
66.5: zztype
55.045: mel
46.42: lavagal
47.875: pzarquon
30.93: helen
17.17: palama kid

zztype
October 30th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Rolling Rock, which Lavagal says was her "first beer and worst hangover!" A tall cold one to zztype, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, surfingfarmboy...

Eh, Mahi'ai get two points for that one???

scrivener
October 30th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Here are the questions for day 29!

Question 1
Category: Jellicle Cats Come Out Tonight
Which Jellicle Cat is "a terrible bore?"

Question 2
Category: One, Zero Zero, One, Zero Zero, One...SOS
Question: In the BASIC programming language, the command GOSUB (followed by a line number) tells the program to leap out of the linear order of commands to a subroutine. What command ends the subroutine and sends the program back to where it was before the leap?

Question 3
Category: A Blot on My Record
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia5.gif
After red makes his or her move, what will be his or her pipcount?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 30!

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
October 31st, 2005, 12:49 AM
I need a night off from the game. Sorry.
I've been working on a presentations all night and I think I'm only halfway done and I have to upload it tomorrow evening. Grrrr.

So take a break yourself and have a wicked Halloween. New questions tomorrow evening!

scrivener
October 31st, 2005, 11:47 PM
Here are the answers for day 29!

Question 1
Category: Jellicle Cats Come Out Tonight
Which Jellicle Cat is "a terrible bore?"
Andrew Lloyd Webber gets all kinds of flack, but Cats is a good musical, and The Rum Tum Tugger is one of the coolest of the Jellicles. Meows to palama kid, mel, surfingfarmboy, kevin_jay, pzarquon, zztype, and lavagal for scratching their way through that one!

Question 2
Category: One, Zero Zero, One, Zero Zero, One...SOS
Question: In the BASIC programming language, the command GOSUB (followed by a line number) tells the program to leap out of the linear order of commands to a subroutine. What command ends the subroutine and sends the program back to where it was before the leap?
RETURN. Thanks to helen for reminding me that this is actually a statement and not a command. It's been a long time. GOTO the head of the class, palama kid, pzarquon, zztype, lavagal, mel, helen, surfingfarmboy, and kevin_jay.

Question 3
Category: A Blot on My Record
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia5.gif
After red makes his or her move, what will be his or her pipcount?
I was beginning to think I'd lost my touch, but nobody got this one and it was very google-able. The pipcount is basically the total amount a player needs to roll, at minimum, to get his or her checkers off the board. In this picture, blue's pipcount is 4: one each for the two checkers on the 1-point and two for the checker on the 2-point. This means that once red moves double twos (that's eight), red's pipcount is 49.

As lavagal correctly observes, red can't win here, but if this is a tournament game or a money game, red is trying to avoid gammon (that's a double loss, for double-stakes in a money game or double points in a tournament game), and the question is, what's red's best move for avoiding gammon? Answer is in this post, after the current standings!

Here are the current standings with two days left to play!
77.545: surfingfarmboy
68.5: zztype
57.045: mel
48.42: lavagal
49.875: pzarquon
31.93: helen
23.08: kevin_jay
19.17: palama kid

Answer to the bonus question in #3 above: It's tempting to move the outside checker to within the inner board, but that means double fives or a 5-2 won't allow red to bear off. The best move is to take the outside checker to the 8-point, just outside the inner board, and then one checker from the six point to the 2-point, leaving only the five-point empty. If blue doesn't roll double twos or better, red will get one more roll and ANY ROLL will allow red to bear off at least one checker, thus saving gammon!

Isn't that a great problem? I can never remember stuff like that when I'm playing in the tournament.

scrivener
October 31st, 2005, 11:56 PM
Here are the questions for day 30!

Question 1
Category: Swim Swam Swum
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia6.jpg
The border on this patch is white. What does that mean?

Question 2
Category: One, Two, Three Strikes You're Out
Question: What do the letters TCG stand for when seen on the back of a baseball card?

Question 3
Category: F-F-Foolin'
Where on Def Leppard's Pyromania album is there a secret message about bears?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on November 1!

Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
November 1st, 2005, 09:43 PM
Here are the answers for day 30!

Question 1
Category: Swim Swam Swum
http://chalkdust.mitchellkdwyer.net/wp-content/photos/trivia6.jpg
The border on this patch is white. What does that mean?
A white border on a merit badge indicates that the badge is required for Eagle Scout. Left-handed smoke-shifters go to surfingfarmboy and zztype for getting it right!

Best wrong answer, from lavagal: "The requirements were met in a simulated lap pool in the backyard of a Marinerís Ridge home by the little boy who usually stands out front holding a lantern."

Question 2
Category: One, Two, Three Strikes You're Out
Question: What do the letters TCG stand for when seen on the back of a baseball card?
Topps Chewing Gum, you sillies! Cards today don't say TCG, but the older cards (up through the seventies, I believe) are all labeled TCG. Surfingfarmboy and ZZtype get it right. Really. Four of you guessed "trading card game."

Question 3
Category: F-F-Foolin'
Where on Def Leppard's Pyromania album is there a secret message about bears?
You know that space in the vinyl, between the end of the album and round record label? Some bands like to scratch messages there, and Def Leppard used that space to include the message, "If you're gonna be a bear," on side A and "Be a grizzly" on side B. Tower Records's Pulse used to print letters from readers who'd discovered these messages, in a space called "Groove Hunting." Surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, palama kid, lavagal, and mel all got it right!

Here are the standings with one day left to play!
80.545: surfingfarmboy
70.5: zztype
58.045: mel
50.875: pzarquon
49.42: lavagal
31.93: helen
20.17: palama kid

New Questions, Next Whatever!

scrivener
November 1st, 2005, 10:05 PM
Here are the questions for day 31! The last day!

Question 1
Category: HT
Question: What are the next two items on this list?
Cyan
Deep Sky Blue
Dark Orchid

Question 2
Category: Comfortably Numbers
Question: What are the next three items on this list?

Question 3
Category: Hi, Sierra
Uniform
Tango
Sierra

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on November 2! Have fun!

scrivener
November 2nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
Hello. The trivia contest is (finally!) over, and I have the answers and results here, but I'm just too, too, too tired to post them. I shall try to get up early and do it in the morning, or I'll get it tomorrow evening. I promise, maybe.

Meanwhile, could Zz and EastCoastTropics pmail me with a confirmation or cancelation of the prizes you offered? Nobody will fault you if you change your mind, trust me. I just need to know what's in the grab-bag so I know what to email the winners with!

Yes. I shall try to get the results up in the morning. :eek: (that's me after a few Red Bulls)

Moto
November 3rd, 2005, 04:40 AM
Thanks Scrivener for taking the time and effort to keep us entertained. Kudos to you. Mahalo.

scrivener
November 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
Here are the answers for day 31! The last day!

Question 1
Category: HT
Cyan
Deep Sky Blue
Dark Orchid
When you compose a message on HawaiiThreads, the pull-down menu that lets you change the text color lists these colors in this order, followed by pink and silver!

Big "I Love Hues" go to surfingfarmboy, zztype, moto, palama kid, helen, and pzarquon for getting those right!

Question 2
Category: Comfortably Numbers
Question: What are the next three items on this list?

It's a list of prime numbers! The next three are 1291, 1297, and 1301. One (which is not a prime number) point each to lavagal, surfingfarmboy, zztype, palama kid, pzarquon, and mel for sticking the landing on that one!

Question 3
Category: Hi, Sierra
Uniform
Tango
Sierra

In reverse order, these are part of the military radio alphabet, so the next two would be Romeo and Quebec. BRAVO to lavagal, surfingfarmboy, zztype, moto, palama kid, helen, pzarquon, linkmeister, and mel!

Here are the final scores! (note: I missed a point for Palama Kid some time back. These scores reflect a correction of this oversight)

83.545: surfingfarmboy
73.5: zztype
60.045: mel
53.875: pzarquon
51.42: lavagal
33.93: helen
24.17: palama kid
10: kimo55, moto
1: linkmeister

Soooo...as you can see, the top three finishers are Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and Mel! Consolation prize #1 for most consistent participant (not finishing in top three) goes to Helen. Consolation prize #2 for funniest or cleverest wrong answers goes to Lavagal, and it was no contest!

I'll be contacting you in pmail over the weekend about your prizes, and then post the announcemnt shortly thereafter.

Thank you all for participating. It was fun for me, at least. I won't wax poetic this time, but read this post (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=23073&postcount=101) again, because it's one of my favorite!

There's a rumor that a new game (run by someone else) is just over the horizon, so keep your eyes open!

pzarquon
November 4th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Thank you all for participating. It was fun for me, at least.I had a blast, Scriv. All the thanks in this thread should go to you, for all your creativity, cleverness, and most importantly, hard work to make something the rest of us can share and enjoy.

Glen Miyashiro
November 4th, 2005, 07:51 AM
It was great fun to mull over scrivener's trivia questions, even though I had no clue what the answers to most of them were. Thanks scriv!

zztype
November 4th, 2005, 01:18 PM
If these thank you messages were lei, you would look like a high school graduate, and well you should. Congratulations and mahalo for a great contest. I had a wonderful time, of course, and look forward to the next great online brain teaser and trivia hunt.

Aloha,

Blaine

lavagal
November 4th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I loved this! Anyone who knows me, knows I love playing trivia games, but not trivial games!
I'm looking forward to the next one that will pop up.

Let me also add a special thanks to Scrivener for doing this. He is a teacher and teachers don't have enough time in the day to do all the things they need to do, and yet he conducted this for us.

Teachers touch the future. Let's appreciate them NOW.

zztype
November 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Teachers touch the future. Let's appreciate them NOW.
Yes, I concur. Teachers ROCK. I know a whole bunch of really, really cool ones. :)

And while I have never been privy to one of Scriv's classes, judging from the proceedings herein, I would not hesitate to add him to my list of Teachers Who Rock.

And while I'm at it, we haven't heard from TiptoeTulip lately, but you can just tell... The kids in her class, who are probably not even aware of it right now, are enjoying a school year with a really cool teacher. One day, in the future, they'll remember their classes with "Ms. Tulip" with great fondness.

I hope one or two of them take a moment to write a letter to a teacher who made a difference in their lives at some point. I have.

Aloha,

Blaine

cezanne
November 5th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Good job again Scriv. I didn't participate but it was one of my lurk threads.
Scriv rocks ...nuffsed :)

tiptoetulip
November 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Yes, I concur. Teachers ROCK. I know a whole bunch of really, really cool ones. :)
And while I'm at it, we haven't heard from TiptoeTulip lately, but you can just tell... The kids in her class, who are probably not even aware of it right now, are enjoying a school year with a really cool teacher. One day, in the future, they'll remember their classes with "Ms. Tulip" with great fondness.

I hope one or two of them take a moment to write a letter to a teacher who made a difference in their lives at some point. I have.
Blaine,
You made my day! School is stressing, every day is a challenge, but the kids are great. I am trying to be goofy, fun, and TRYING to get into the hang of being CONSISTENT. If people could only realize the stress of dealing with those new report cards...UGH!...on top of everything else.

Thanks for the warm fuzzy! Wish I could've kept playing the game (Thanks, Scriv!).

Tiptoetulip ;)

lavagal
November 29th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I would like to step in and say that as a top 3 finalist in this fine challenge, I was graciously rewarded by East Coast Tropics, who sent me a set of Macanilla lotion and soap. It smells terrific! Thanks very much, Laverne and Scrivener!

I wanted to explain that I'm super busy at work these days and decided to sit out the current contest run by Ryan. I must say it's also a fine test!

What else? Oh yeah! Saw one of my favorite Podcasters and his wife featured in my PBN last weekend! I'm getting an iPod for my birthday next month, so I may just eavesdrop on some of The Transmission transmissions. However, it's my hubby who is the Lost fan! I just like watching Josh H. workout at my swim club!!!

scrivener
August 10th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Unfinished business. Yes, I know it's been ten months, but...well, life happens. And details get put at the bottom of the list sometimes.

So, even though I've yet to confirm one prize and yet to deliver another, let's just cap this thing already. As with the first game, I tossed all the prizes into a drawer and gave the winners their choice of whatever was left, beginning with the grand-prize winner.

First prize, of course, went to Surfingfarmboy, who selected the Hawaii Threads t-shirt, donated by the gentle pzarquon. Can I get some confirmation from someone that this prize was received?

Second prize for the second game in a row went to ZZType, who selected a bunch of "concert recordings" from such artists as John Lee Hooker, Warren Zevon, Tom Petty, the Rolling Stones, and Miles Davis. He hasn't received these yet, but I'm in the process of sending them to him.

Third prize went to Mel, who selected the $15 iTunes Music Store gift-card, donated by the lovely ZZType. Can I get confirmation from Mel that he got this? Also, if you can remember, Mel, we'd love to know what you downloaded with this!

The first consolation prize for most consistent participant went to Helen, who accepted a gift-certificate from Likelike Drive-In. This was actually a custom-designed prize, since Helen doesn't do Amazon or iTunes!

The second consolation prize for most creative or cleverest answers went to Lavagal, who, as explained in the response before this one, received Macanilla lotion and soap from the fragrant and generous EastCoastTropics (Laverne) of EastCoastTropics.com (http://www.eastcoasttropics.com).

Congratulations, ten months late, and thank you very much to participants and donors!

Surfingfarmboy
August 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Note to Scrivener:

The t-shirt was received, by way of Louisville, and now hangs proudly along with my large and extensive collection of never-worn Crazy Shirts...and one of Auntie Pupule's "Whack Whack" t-shirts!