Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Hello. At long last, it's time for the second go-around of the HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (or "ZZ's Revenge," as some might call it). Beginning October 1 and running through to the end of the month, we'll play a daily game of trivia, following the same rules as in our first game.

With one new twist.

There will still be one, two, or three questions per day, but occasionally, one of these questions will be something submitted by the people playing or observing the game! Here's how it works:

I'll accept trivia questions at my email address only, not in my HawaiiThreads private mailbox. They may be on any subject, but preference will be given to questions that:
    • Don't sound like they were taken from someone else's trivia game (please, don't raid your Trivial Pursuit games for this),
    • Don't skew too heavily in favor of older people (there will be plenty enough of those),
    • Distinguish themselves in some way from other trivia questions, either in inventiveness or subject matter,
    • Are worded in a manner that leaves little room for misunderstanding or alternate answers, and
    • Make me say, "Oh, cool!"

I don't particularly care if the questions are too easy or too Google-able; I like the questions to span a wide range of difficulty.

Here's what's in it for you:

If I select your question, you will score 1 point for it if at least two people get it right. Otherwise, you get no points. This encourages people to submit questions that are doable, but not total cakewalks. Total cakewalks are still okay--they just mean everyone gets a point.

Please don't get upset or offended if your question isn't chosen. You're always free to run your own trivia game; the month gets long and 'though the aim is fun, I need it to be fun for me, too, and being pressured to run questions that don't particularly interest me isn't much fun! You may submit as many questions as you like.

Send them to mitchell@mitchellkdwyer.net beginning today and until the end of October.

I urge those of you who didn't play in the first game to read the rules as presented in the link above. There will again be (small, but nice) prizes as before. Don't worry, helen. I haven't forgotten that you haven't received your prize yet!

Let the trivia fly.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Oh man, you are killing me here. I guess this contest will have to mark my return to Hawaii Threads, with tail tucked humbly between legs.

Oh, the humanity. This is going to be painful, no doubt, but I cannot in good conscience skip this competition. Last time, I missed nearly the first week before diving into the fray. Not this time. Bring it on, Mahi'ai me ka Papa He'e Nalu (Farmer with the Surfboard).

I will donate one $15 iTunes Music Store Gift Card for the prizes, no other consideration solicited or necessary.

Aloha,

Blaine
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

ZZ! Oh, ZZ, you made my day.

I'd also like to contribute to the prize pool. A HawaiiThreads.com T-shirt, perhaps?

Looking forward to it, Scrivener! I'll try to think up a good question or two, too.

Comment

Welcome back Braddah ZzType!(chuckles) One Big Ohana again!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
          Oh man, you are killing me here. I guess this contest will have to mark my return to Hawaii Threads, with tail tucked humbly between legs.
          If that's all it took, I'd have run this thing on April 19.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yay, another game!

Comment

Oh boy another game!!!! I had so much fun on that last game and got a nice prize for 3rd place too! Mahalo scrivener! I too would like to donate a prize for this game!
              Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by zztype

Oh, the humanity. This is going to be painful, no doubt, but I cannot in good conscience skip this competition. Last time, I missed nearly the first week before diving into the fray. Not this time. Bring it on, Mahi'ai me ka Papa He'e Nalu (Farmer with the Surfboard).

I will donate one $15 iTunes Music Store Gift Card for the prizes, no other consideration solicited or necessary.

Aloha,

Blaine
                Howzit Blaine!

So the gauntlet has been laid before me. I accept your challange, zztype, and once again, you will find me to be a worthy competitor in this upcoming trivia game. I have eagerly been awaiting the second edition of this game, and opportunity to defend my hard-wrought first edition championship, and now, at long last, the time has come. Let the rematch begin. I'm ready. Are you?

Surfingfarmboy

P.S.: Good to see you back here in the HT fora!
                Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 28, 2005, 02:28 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Hahaha! Mahalo a nui loa! I do look forward to this. It is good to see the Mahi'ai again!
                  Blaine

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                  Howzit Blaine!

So the gauntlet has been laid before me. I accept your challange, zztype, and once again, you will find me to be a worthy competitor in this upcoming trivia game. I have eagerly been awaiting the second edition of this game, and opportunity to defend my hard-wrought first edition championship, and now, at long last, the time has come. Let the rematch begin. I'm ready. Are you?

Surfingfarmboy

P.S.: Good to see you back here in the HT fora!

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics
                    Oh boy another game!!!! I had so much fun on that last game and got a nice prize for 3rd place too! Mahalo scrivener! I too would like to donate a prize for this game!
                    Ooh, ooh! Are you donating something from EastCoastTropics.com? That would be cool (but no pressure, of course -- I know you have a business to run!). I might have to win my own game!
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Just for clarity's sake, the first questions will go up Friday night, the 30th of September, sometime after 9 p.m. and the answers will be due by 9 p.m. Saturday night, the first of October. Then we'll continue until 9 p.m. Halloween night. AroooooOOOOOoooo!
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I will join in late, probably in mid October when I get back (hopefully). Everyone, try not to get too far ahead...
                        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                          Ooh, ooh! Are you donating something from EastCoastTropics.com?
                          Absolutely!!
                          Lovena

Comment

"Ahem." (Looks at watch, taps face, examines watch again....) "Ahem!"

Comment

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game!
                              Here are the questions for Day 1.

Question 1
                              Category: I'm not ath thupid ath I theme.
                              What TV variety show's house band included Floyd on guitar and Janis on bass?

edit: it may have been floyd on bass and janis on guitar.

Question 2
                              Category: Welllcome! To Fallacy Island!
                              What logical fallacy is illustrated by the sentence, "The Easter Bunny exists and you can't prove that it doesn't!"

Question 3
                              Category: Have I told you lately Island View?
                              What prominent geographical feature was named by Hawaiians for its resemblance to a lizard's tail?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 1, and if this is your first time playing the game, please read the rules in the first post of this thread.

Good luck, and have fun!
                              Last edited by scrivener; September 30, 2005, 11:02 PM. Reason: "Suddenly Seymore is standing beside you; don't need no makeup, don't have to pretend . . ."
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X