X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lingle/Harbin debacle

business as usual in our local gov't.

Harbin refuses to step down?

Looked for this on the advertiser site; gwarsh... uh shore wish they'd revert to their old look. It's soooo cluttered.

It appears Star bulletin scooped them.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/09/28/editorial/index.html

Re: Lingle/Harbin debacle

So, is Harbin referring to her unpaid back taxes when she speaks of the dispute with her landlord?
    Is that a closeted sovereignty issue?

Comment

Excellent, Kimo. I was wondering if this topic would show up here.
      And yes, the Star-Bulletin definitely took the lead on this one! Even the Advertiser admitted that in their story today.
      Stunning that Harbin refuses to step down.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm thoroughly enjoying the train wreck. Even when it was just the tax problem, I thought the karmic payback against Lingle (for appointing a fake Democrat) was delicious enough. "Our background check was only criminal, not financial," the administration said. Except, oops, they missed a criminal record, too!

So, finally, Lingle has to bite the bullet and give up her defense of the appointment (although her Chief of Staff already came out and said, "If we knew about the tax problem, we wouldn't have appointed her..."), formerly putting out a press release that she asked Harbin to resign... and now, Harbin won't go!

Sure, Harbin comes out poorly in all this, but you just gotta look at where it all started. All this to try and get one measly Republican ally in the House, and now she's neither a friend of the Republicans or the Democrats!

Comment

I'm loving this debacle as well. Not as much for the political ramifications, but just because its sooo unusual. That in itself is hilarious!

scrapper, indeed.

pax

Comment

It's kinda the same way in the federal government too, isn't it? I mean Mike Brown, FEMA head, prior to becoming the director, managed registrations for a purebreed horse association? Who vetted him? There's something to be said for not being a public figure...once you become that highly visible, that pimple on the okole is going to look like a cancer on the tush. Everybody knows public figures are fair game (they can't file law suits for libel or slander) so the minute a private person becomes a public official, people are digging around, looking for dirt. My guess is most politicans have some dirt in their past...the issue is how does it affect the person's ability to hold the office to which s/he has been elected or appointed to? In Harbin's case, was it a case of accidental omission or outright lying?

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, but Miulang, there's a big difference between "Heckuva job Brownie" and Harbin. So far as I can tell from the story, the Lingle people honestly didn't know she was a tax evader and a prior criminal lawbreaker.

In Brownie's case the Bush people knew precisely what his qualifications were (zero, zip, nada) and hired him anyway, because cronyism and loyalty are worth far more to them than competence. See the current issue of Time magazine for an article titled "How many more Mike Browns are there?"
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                So far as I can tell from the story, the Lingle people honestly didn't know she was a tax evader and a prior criminal lawbreaker.
                BUT... they should have performed due dilligence. This, they did not.

Comment

Harbin very obviously lied by omission. The whole point of the interview and vetting process is to find skeletons like this. Sounds clear to me that she was asked every which way from Sunday - both before and especially after the tax revelations - "Is there anything else we should know?" When Harbin said no, she lost any chance to retain what little credibility she might have had.

Then again, I seriously doubt Lingle's people tried very hard in their background check. Their eye was on the "prize," a phony Democrat to vote with them in the House. So when they asked for the criminal check, it was nothing better than "HARBIN, BEVERLY" and clicking search. While anyone conducting a real check should have checked for maiden and other used names as a matter of procedure. And not doing any financial checks? C'mon, they were part of my hiring process, and I'm just a mid-level geek at a small local company.

Lingle is smarting, no doubt, but there's lots of bad karma left to distribute. The fact that Harbin's challenging the legislature (or her constituents) to go ahead and try and oust her is just asking for the biggest spanking in local politics in recent memory. Where's the outraged activist with a recall petition when you need one?

Comment

While the City & County of Honolulu may have a recall clause in the City Charter, recall on the State level is non-existent. Not part of our constitution, though I think initiative, referendum and recall would be a good thing to implement. This would take a constitutional amendment to do.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It would have been quite simpler if Gov. Lingle had picked his opponent, Colin Wong in the General Election. He won by a close call. I picked Hiraki due to his experience...if I knew he would have left before his term was finished, I would have voted for Colin Wong!!!! Auwe!!!

Now, I like change to Oceanic too.
                      Decieving.

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

While the Governor would have probably liked to pick Colin Wong, because he ran as a Republican, he would not qualify. The state law says that when a vacancy occurs in an elective seat, that vacancy must be filled by a person of the same party who held the seat.

This has occurred a few times in the past, the best example I can think of where a Democrat Governor (Cayetano) had to appoint a Republican (Whitney Anderson) to fill a vacant seat after the incumbent Senator, Mary George died in office... in 1994.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                          I'm loving this debacle as well. Not as much for the political ramifications, but just because its sooo unusual. That in itself is hilarious!

scrapper, indeed.

Oh darlin, UNUSUAL? I think not!

I would never run for office. If appointed, I'd have to decline. And it's not because of crimes I've committed. It's those damn pictures boyfriend one has. I just don't trust that guy. Wish I still looked that good.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            BUT... they should have performed due dilligence. This, they did not.
                            Oh, hell, I'm not arguing that. I think Lingle was delighted to find a Sam Slom disciple/small biz advocate she could put into the legislature, and certainly they didn't look that gift horse in the mouth (or tax/criminal records).

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              While the City & County of Honolulu may have a recall clause in the City Charter, recall on the State level is non-existent. Not part of our constitution, though I think initiative, referendum and recall would be a good thing to implement. This would take a constitutional amendment to do.
                              No argument from me. I consistently voted against Clarice Hashimoto for years because she'd said she was in favor of those at the 1978 Con-Con and then voted against them when it came to approving them.

I'd hate to see referenda used as frequently and indiscriminately as they are in California, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X