Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Prismatic Jumping Spiders (Big Island)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Prismatic Jumping Spiders (Big Island)

Hi,
    This is my first post on the board and yeah, i have a specific concern i was wondering if someone could help me with. Well basically i'm a local boy who grew up in different places around the big island. When i was a kid i remember at night seeing huge prismatic colored (black with translucent green/purple) jumping spiders all the time. Whenever i asked anyone what they were they'd just tell me "stay one jumping spider." Well i googled the bugga all day and found nothing. Im looking to see if anyone else has similar stories about these things, and if they have a scientific name or the likes.

Specifics:
    I didn't see em in hilo much.. saw em a lot up near the Mt. View/Hawaiian Acres area, and in Puna. Anywhere there was lotsa forest it seemed they were common.
    They were about maybee 3" - 5" in diameter and looked just like your classic jumping spider. Heavy front body, legs looked just like a jumping spider and boy they were fast.
    They were NOT cane spiders. I know cane spiders, know em well. These things looked not even comparable to the brown giants that used to glare at me from the porch light. Hehe.

Again, i cant find anything anywhere on these things but i know damn well i've seen em a good lot of times. Unidentified species perhaps? If someone could help me i'd GREATLY appreciate it, cuz after 6hrs of googling, im at my wits end.

Mahalo;
    Jason

Re: Big Prismatic Jumping Spiders (Big Island)

3 to 5 inches in diameter? Wow! The jumping spiders that I come across in my house once in awhile are no bigger than a dime.

Comment

I have the little ones, too, mostly in my bathroom and hallway, sometimes in my bedroom. They're even smaller than a dime. What are those things, anyway, and how do I get rid of them? Eh, maybe live and let live.

But jeez, if I saw a 5-inch, translucent green jumping spider ... <shudder>

Sorry I'm no help!

Comment

Man.. what a crock. My brothers remember em, so do my parents. I confirmed this tonight just to make sure im not like lolo or something. I know someones gotta have some info. Thanks for the attempt at recollection anywhoz.

Comment

Originally posted by edfgreen
          Man.. what a crock. My brothers remember em, so do my parents. I confirmed this tonight just to make sure im not like lolo or something. I know someones gotta have some info. Thanks for the attempt at recollection anywhoz.

Yo Ed! We don't think you're lolo! If there's going to be some funky exotic critter around, it will be on the Big Island.

A while back we had a thread going about spiders, centipedes, scorpions, etc. Check 'em out. At least you'll see some fun pix!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ght=centipedes

Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Haha, yeah.. I got bit by one of those centipedes, right on the butt, down in waipio valley. Me and my girlfriend we're laying on the beach watching the surf when we fell asleep. I woke up about an hour later to something wiggling in my surfshorts. Friggin bugger bit me on the okole. Man, some kine sore, worse then vana (sp) even. At least you could soak the vana sting in vinegar, nothing stops the throbbing of one of these things. :P

Seriously though, next time i go back to visit, ima catch one of those big spiders. I'm just weirded out that they've never been reported before. I might just be searching for the wrong thing online, but man, they awfully looked just like jumping spiders. Half-ass fuzzy crab lookin spiders. Big eyes in the front etc etc. Hope they let me name it.. HEHE!

~Jason

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
              I have the little ones, too, mostly in my bathroom and hallway, sometimes in my bedroom. They're even smaller than a dime. What are those things, anyway, and how do I get rid of them? Eh, maybe live and let live.

But jeez, if I saw a 5-inch, translucent green jumping spider ... <shudder>

Sorry I'm no help!
              You may want to try this. I get it at Down To Earth. I have heard that Ace carries it, but not sure. It smells good !

http://www.orangeguard.com/

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Duck!

I love the description. "Kills spider, ants, roaches, deadly fatal, this is some nasty stuff, kills anything that moves ... and it has a fresh citrus scent!" Heee!

I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                  Thanks for the tip, Duck!

I love the description. "Kills spider, ants, roaches, deadly fatal, this is some nasty stuff, kills anything that moves ... and it has a fresh citrus scent!" Heee!

I'll give it a try.

It is really good stuff. It got rid of ants, spiders and roaches. I was seeing a few roaches and cleaned out the cupboards...ew......I sprayed this stuff inside the cupboards and closed the doors. I have not seen a roach in days ! I have used it on the ants... in the kitchen and bathroom. No more ants. I think the small container was under ten bucks or around that amount of money. Well worth it.

I want to see this pretty spider this thread is talking about. I hope some one finds a picture of it on the internet and posts it !!

Comment

I've been looking and looking and still nothing. And yeah, they are kinda pretty, for big eye'd fast moving spiders. Sucks im in texas right now or i'd be up in mt. view trying to catch one of these buggas. Next time i go back im gonna catch one, then im gonna force the lolo scientists to name it after my ex-girlfriend. Seems a fitting tribute to one pretty SPIDER! Haha.. Glory shall be had! And to think of all the times i saw em, i figured someone else must've caught em or documented em or something. The world wide intarwebs says differently. Perhaps people in hawaii are that lazy. Haha.. man, i'd kill for some chicken katsu right now.

Much aloha;
                    [Jason]

Comment

Working...
                    X