PDA

View Full Version : Those &%$#@ birds!!

kukui_nut
May 21st, 2004, 04:25 PM
Anyone else here got the problem of birds in your attic?? :mad:
They peck through the screens covering the vent holes in the eaves and make these nests all over.

I just plugged most of the holes with those aluminum caps, but I can't get to about 6 holes. I also put fiberglass insulation in the attic, thus it's a real hassle (albeit, impossible) to get to them from the inside.

Any suggestions?

Mocha
May 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Only suggestion is to fumigate...but then you'd have dead birds in the attic...and would have to get to them anyway...hmmmm, just put a "mean" cat up there! ;)

makepagirl
August 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
nope..juss in my chimney...!!this is our second yr in this house.neigbors say they've been coming for over 50 yrs to my house.only lasts for 3 or so weeks..ooh..cute @ first.but, whenever my son's yahoo messenger buzzes on the computer it wakes em up...sorry..wish i could help!! i'll trade ya tho!! i have squirrels in my attic.. :eek: we hear them scrabbling around all the time..specially during pecan season...

Karen
August 2nd, 2004, 12:13 AM
Bird, squirrels, and we just got rid of RATS! Our two siamese cats used to sit and stare at a couple of walls, and finally we heard what they heard. Put rat trap out on back patio, and sure enough, we got rats, two in a day, another the next, few days and another, and we just got our eighth rat in this cheap little trap. Beginning to think we had all of ours around the fifth one, as the cats don't stare at any walls anymore, and maybe we're getting rats from neighbors yards every week or so. Thank goodness they aren't the largest rats, as they just look like big mice to me, but big enough they are rats.

mel
August 2nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Birds like to shit on my car on the day I have the vehicle washed.

I'm quite surprised the system lets the "s word" through without turning it to goofy characters. I thought there was a built in safeguard for this kind of thing. I just made this post to test the system.

Serenity
August 2nd, 2004, 08:11 AM
Birds like to shit on my car on the day I have the vehicle washed.

You & everyone else, I am sure.
My hubby gets them to, on his car.
&%$#@ birds! disgusting! eww!.
You think there's a way we can
just shoot 'em? :D

What's worse....
he has his car washed by either
hand or that big machine...
then, it starts to rain on him.
What a bummers. :mad:

Glen Miyashiro
July 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM
OK, another bird problem. I have a couple of nice papaya trees in my yard, but I never get to enjoy my papaya fruits because birds come and peck holes in 'em before they're ripe. Then all I have left are these empty papaya skins hanging from the tree, like limp deflated rubber balloons. :(

How can I keep those pesky birds off of my papayas?

kimo55
July 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
OK, another bird problem. I have a couple of nice papaya trees in my yard, but I never get to enjoy my papaya fruits because birds come and peck holes in 'em before they're ripe. Then all I have left are these empty papaya skins hanging from the tree, like limp deflated rubber balloons. :(

hey, that gave me an idea. what if.. you actually were to hang helium or reg air filled balloons around da fruit or top o da trees.. wouldn't the movement scare away the birds?

craigwatanabe
July 12th, 2005, 01:01 PM
yeah but make sure they pop them before you go out and harvest them or else you going crap in your pants when you try to cut one open :D

Mokihana
January 29th, 2006, 07:41 PM

I live in blueberry country here in Oregon, and we get special see-through stuff that the birds can't peck through. It's kinda like netting, but is more opaque. it works great.

If you can't get it there, I could get some for you and send it if u no mind paying da postage etc... is really lightweight so shouldn't cost much to send.

Or, try Googling "bird netting".... get some awesome results lidat.

CranBeree
January 29th, 2006, 08:54 PM

you could wrap the papayas in paper bags. my neighbor does this with his avocado tree.

timkona
January 29th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Shotgun works wonders on my farm....bout once every two weeks i sit out, under the big tree, with a 6 pack of barley soda, and fire at them for 1/2 the day....don't worry, i'm a terrible shot...but it scares the feathers off em....after that, not a single bird around for at least a week to 10 days

i think they are smart as hell

craigwatanabe
January 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Just the other night my wife and I heard this thumping sounds coming from a two drawer filing cabinet I keep in our carport out in the back of our home where I keep some assorted cables (we also have a two car enclosed garage in the front)

It's a rat I tell my wife so we devise a plan to kill it mercifully. We back our Chevy Astrovan as close to the cabinet as we can and I stick a vacuum hose from the exhaust pipe and into the cabinet and duct tape the whole thing shut.

A few minutes later I hear this sound of something with a mean case of asthma then silence. Stopping the engine we open the draw and find two rats all make la dat inside.

Maybe you can try flushing the birds out with smoke in the attic? Couple of post New Year smoke bombs upstairs might do the trick.

zztype
January 29th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Maybe you can try flushing the birds out with smoke in the attic? Couple of post New Year smoke bombs upstairs might do the trick.
Sounds logical, for half-a-second...then...uh oh. I'd think long and hard before I tried that on my half-million dollar house. Hehehe. Maybe he can fog the attic with something that doesn't rely on FIRE!!

MadAzza
January 30th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Shotgun works wonders on my farm....bout once every two weeks i sit out, under the big tree, with a 6 pack of barley soda, and fire at them for 1/2 the day....don't worry, i'm a terrible shot...

That's what shotguns are for ... bird huntin' and bad shots.

but it scares the feathers off em....after that, not a single bird around for at least a week to 10 days

Plotting their revenge!

"He just finished washing the car ... Let's go!"

MadAzza
January 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Anyone else here got the problem of birds in your attic?? ... Any suggestions?

1. Crank up the Dead Kennedys, set the CD player on continuous replay and aim the speakers at the ceiling.

2. Go on vacation for a week.

(Hey, I *love* the Kennedys. But the birds probably won't.)

If that doesn't work, go to Plan B.

craigwatanabe
January 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM
1. Crank up the Dead Kennedys, set the CD player on continuous replay and aim the speakers at the ceiling.

2. Go on vacation for a week.

(Hey, I *love* the Kennedys. But the birds probably won't.)

Plan B = Barry Manillow

If that doesn't work, go to Plan B.

Plan B = Barry Manilow...At the Copa...Copacabana :eek:

MadAzza
January 31st, 2006, 10:37 AM
Plan B = Barry Manilow...At the Copa...Copacabana :eek:

Hey! I did NOT say Barry Manilow ... but if I did, I woulda speld it rite!

Not a bad idea, though.

1stwahine
January 31st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Hey! I did NOT say Barry Manilow ... but if I did, I woulda speld it rite!

Not a bad idea, though.

Ahhhh...Barry Manilow! That's one entertainer before I die ~ I want to see in person perform. Ahhhh...Barry Manilow. ;)

Auntie Lynn

Walkoff Balk
March 28th, 2013, 10:13 PM
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20130328_Dont_feed_the_birds_state_Senate_committe e_says.html?id=200544231

Walk fast when passing a tree with birds.

Kaonohi
March 28th, 2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20130328_Dont_feed_the_birds_state_Senate_committe e_says.html?id=200544231

Walk fast when passing a tree with birds.

Or, just leave the birds home!

GregLee
March 29th, 2013, 05:42 AM
No birds in our attic, but many in our trees. Maybe they don't go in the attic because they have plenty of other places to live, here. Our favorites are a pair of shama thrushes, or probably several generations of them, by now. Shama thrushes were brought to Hawaii recently, in the 30s and 40s, as cage birds, prized for their songs. My avatar is a young shama thrush in our yard. Shamas eat bugs, and one almost always follows us around when we do yard work, hoping for a fat delicious beetle to be uncovered.

Walkoff Balk
March 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM
What if the birds turn into a Hitchcock movie?

lensperson
April 19th, 2013, 12:19 AM
As a young lad I experienced my birthday party

at the Parrot Jungle near Miami.

I was walking under some trees and felt a huge splat on my wee head.

Reaching up I discovered , to my dismay, that a Parrot had shat on me !

The tears welled up

Such is life.

Into every life a little rain may fall.
:)

lensperson
June 5th, 2013, 11:02 PM
The birds were the early equivalent of angry birds.

In those days Coral Gables had a number of canals that gave access to

fast cigarette boats ,ala , Miami Vice.

I can recall running along a street, and stubbing my big toe.

A very kind Cuban family rushed to my help.

My toe still hurt, after Senora helped. but I am still analysing that incident.

Kaonohi
June 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I'd rather have birds than rats. We have two 'Havahart' traps in our attic, and when we hear the "click (pause) click..." in the middle of the night, we know it's time.

We drive out to an extremely rural Windward place (no residence within a mile or so), and release them. First one I caught I drowned it, and hated myself for days... never again!

I Once had a neighbor's cat that used to visit with our cats. When they moved from Kahalu`u to Kailua, we missed her... for about two weeks, when she showed up again on our back porch. Likely she was in love with Nigel, our black male, or maybe just with us, but she found her was back here from Kailua! We called our friends, and they came and picked her up. They kept her inside for a couple of weeks, so four weeks later she was on our back porch again. We called them and they said, "Well, we guess she just likes it better there. Will you keep her?" We gladly did.

Sometimes I wonder if we are catching the same rat over and over....

What's smarter, rats or cats?