An urban village for Kahului?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An urban village for Kahului?

This is exciting news...poor Kahului Shopping Center, which in the 1950s was the center of retailing but which fell to the wayside with the building of Kaahumanu Center and Maui Mall, is scheduled to be radically upgraded into a planned "urban village" type of environment, which will include shops and condos. If the developers can make the condos affordable to local people, then this would be an excellent use of the space. Many communities up here on the Mainland are turning into urban villages in which you have a good mix of housing and retail stores so people don't have to drive to get to all the services they need. If everything goes through as planned, from the ashes of Ah Fook Supermarket will come a new opportunity for many Valley Islanders. This is one of those instances where tearing down something old will actually benefit more people than hurt them. Maybe I'll be in line for buying one of those condos...the timing would be perfect for when I was planning to move back to Hawai'i anyway.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain
Working...
X