Menehunes from around the world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menehunes from around the world...

On the island of Flores, which is between Bali and East Timor, scientists have found the bones of seven tiny humans in a remote cave named Liang Bua(Cold Cave) . They named the whole new species "Homo floresiensis". At just three feet tall and weighing under sixty pounds, they made tools and hunted pygmy elephants. It is believed that they lived as recently as thirteen thousand years ago, coexisting with modern humans. Here, in this remote, volcano-rimmed valley, they had survived by hunting pygmy elephants, Komodo Dragons and giant rats whose bones were also found in the cave. I got this info from the latest (Sept./Oct.) issue of Islands Magazine. The article's titled "Sailing Beyond Bali- Part One". For this thread Legends are okay but really looking for facts. Here's a quick LINK
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Menehunes from around the world...

here's a fact:
    of course, menehune can not come from around the world. being indigenous to Hawaii.
    and also, menehune is singular and plural.
    no such thing as "menehunes"

Comment

In Fiji they're called Veli, in Ireland they're called Leprecauns, in Africa they're called Pygmy-(can I put an "S" here) and so on around the world. Here in Hawai'i they're called Menehune-(sorry for the "S" Kimo) and may be indigenous, but beings resembling them appear to be elsewhere also. Anyways, at least they're not considered diety, though they are helpful little buggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
        In Fiji they're called Veli, in Ireland they're called Leprecauns, in Africa they're called Pygmy-(can I put an "S" here) and so on around the world. Here in Hawai'i they're called Menehune-(sorry for the "S" Kimo) and may be indigenous, but beings resembling them appear to be elsewhere also. Anyways, at least they're not considered diety, though they are helpful little buggers.
        Except that the African Pygmies are undeniably real people -- you can talk to them and take photos of them and everything. The others have never been documented by modern people and are either just stories or are really really good at hiding.

Comment

In Cherokee stories (both North Carolina and Oklahoma) they are just called Little People. Their stories are similar to da menehune ones.
          ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Kimo,

While I find your sarcasm humorous, I'm going to have to call you on this one. Indigenous humans/menehune in the Hawaiian islands is, shall we say, oxymoronic? The early Polynesian inhabitants (as well as any Menehune that may have been in the Hawaiian islands) were transplants, thus not indigenous. Right?

Trying to Find an Apartment in Honolulu!

Comment

No sarcasm or humor intended.
              Sorry, but this time I am serious.
              They are as close to indigenous as anyone else. more so, in fact.
              that's good enuff in my book.
              Last edited by kimo55; October 2, 2005, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Of course, even Ireland has its banshees, its sidhies and its faeries...

Anyway, there might've been real Menehune, but they did have to come from somewhere. Besides, as far as scientists know, humans originated in Africa, so obviously the menehune's ancestors came from somewhere other than Hawai'i! (or is that Havaiki?)

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyrab
                  obviously the menehune's ancestors came from somewhere other than Hawai'i! (or is that Havaiki?)
                  and those ancestors came from somewhere too.
                  da hellzit matter, they are Hawaiian. Hawaiian roots. More Hawaiian than anything else. and don't bring faeries into the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    African Pygmies are undeniably real people -- you can talk to them and
                    but don't talk down to them. nooo. they hate that.

Comment

Aloha Kākou,

Considering that manahune is the Tahitian word for maka'āinana (commoner), one could probably speculate as to what occurred and how the story of the Hawaiian menehune came into existence. The stories of some of the the indigenous "pygmy" tribes (namely the Aeta, Abian, Agta, Ati, Cimmaron, Isarog, and Tabangnon) of the Philippines are probably more interesting.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                        Aloha Kākou,

The stories of some of the the indigenous "pygmy" tribes (namely the Aeta, Abian, Agta, Ati, Cimmaron, Isarog, and Tabangnon) of the Philippines are probably more interesting.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                        Can you share some photos or stories? That'd be cool.

Comment

Here's some info on the Flores people. Also a definition for pygmy is... A racial designation of dark-skinned people who live in equatorial rain forests and average less than 59 inches in height. Sounds like a definition of menehune.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                            59 inches in height. Sounds like a definition of menehune.
                            a five foot high menehune? I dunnthingsewwww...

Comment

More fossil "hobbit" bones have been found on Flores Island in Indonesia, strengthening the case that they represent a separate human species, Homo floresiensis. Whether these little guys had anything to do with menehune, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X