Aloha Mai Kaleponi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha Mai Kaleponi

Aloha from Kaleponi, San Diego, the Ocean Beach neighborhood. I chose the name Kalalau because I have hiked there a few times and it was a very high point in my life. I am Bob. 58 years old. Born in LA. Several trips to Hawai'i. Friends on Oahu and the Big Island. I have been studying the Hawai'ian language lately, enjoying it a lot, finding it very interesting, and though difficult, not impossible. Our house is on a hill with a view of the ocean. On clear nights you can see the landing lights come on on Hawai'ian Air and Aloha jets way the heck out at sea as they make their way to Lindbergh Field here, the lights hang like stars over the ocean marking the path to Hawai'i. Hawai'i is a wonderful place, I hope to get to talk about it with the people here. Aloha!

Re: Aloha Mai Kaleponi

Aloha ~ I use to live in OB in the 70's! I use to live next to the bakery (don't know if its still there). The Black is my favorite head shop. If/when we go to SD I always try to go there. Love walking the pier. Do they still do that grunion run on the beach?

Welcome to the HT!
    ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Aaaah yes, the Black is still there. Its still 1968! I can't think of what bakery you might mean, maybe one on Voltaire St.? Grunion runs still happen. In fact once I went swimming at the beach at the bottom of the hill (Bermuda St.) in the middle of the day, I was surrounded by millions of grunion waiting for nightfall to hit the beaches, it was weird--they kept a clear space around me, about 4 ft. on all sides, wherever I swam. And the pier is still a great institution. Of course they have to close it every winter because big waves always damage it. I wonder why they built it with the low spot, to make sure it gets damaged. Last winter it got hit by lightning, the electricity was knocked out, it was closed for several months! Anyway, aloha from A Little Bit of Heaven, 9 2 1 0 7!

Comment

Aloha Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau
          Aaaah yes, the Black is still there. Its still 1968! I can't think of what bakery you might mean, maybe one on Voltaire St.? Anyway, aloha from A Little Bit of Heaven, 9 2 1 0 7!
          I think its Abbott St, that main drag? It was next to the Cove apts I think it was called close to the laundry matt & bar. (Those probably aren't there either, progress) Anyway back around 72ish maybe there use to be a German Bakery she made some different types of awesome fresh bread every morning but that was way way back in the day.
          ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo2
            Aloha Bob!
            Yep! Ditto! While I'm originally a SoCal gal I never lived in SD. My youngest daughter did, however, attend USD for a couple of years. I was raised up the coast a bit, in Laguna Beach. We had some high school sports rivalries with schools in your area! Coronado HS comes to mind. SD is a beautiful area but I haven't been there in 15 years or so.

Comment

Wow! I know exactly what bakery you mean and it is still in business! When we would be surfing at the little jetty, if the wind was right it would blow the smell of delicious baking over us and we'd hold out as long as we could but eventually we'd just have to paddle in, dry off, and go eat some fresh warm doughnuts and wash em down with hot coffee. I think the foreign lady who ran it sold it, but its still there. That is quite a party neighborhood, too--good times on Muir St.!

And USD--I took a year there, and had a girlfriend who attended there. A beautiful campus, more nice memories!

Comment

Working...
              X