Where's Auntie Pupule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Auntie Pupule?

I hear Auntie Pupule going moe pupule. Last I heard she was waiting for her DSL stuff to show up, her dial up is disconnected. So she is disconnected from her blog, HT, HB, email; a major part of life here.

She is going to be RAGING.....HUI NT! Can no can?

How long does it take to get DSL hooked up? Auwe maha'oi!
    ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Re: Where's Auntie Pupule?

Auntie Lynn's incredible, awesome, handsome webmaster has posted an update to AuntiePupule.com. She's fine, but I expect a torrent of blog posts when she gets back online (and a few choice words for her internet service provider!

Comment

When we switched over to DSL from dial-up it was over two weeks before we finally got connected to the internet. They did the same thing to us while we were waiting as they did to Auntie....they cut OFF our dial-up and we had no computer at all. That was five years ago. I just left the Hawaiian Telecom's web site. It gives NO information at all on how long it takes to hook up to their DSL. It says the monthly rate for broad band is $29.95 for new customers.....I guess old customers are chopped liver.... To get this rate you have to sign a year contract with them for DSL. Some where else on the web site it says month to month service is available...no idea how much that would cost. It says that you have a 30 day money back gaurantee. It says that for early cancellation, there is a $50.00 charge. It says in another place that early cancellation (of the one year DSL contract) of between 2 and 12 months is $99.00. I read where it says the DSL service is a one time shipping and activation charge of $19.95. This is where you wait and wait for them to ship you the DSL modem.. In another place it says for a "limited time" (?) they are offering FREE wireless router/modem......if it's FREE, why is there a $19.95 shipping and activation charge ? It says there is a charge of $45.50 to install or move services, it did not say whether or not this applies to new DSL service, but I am assuming it does apply.

DSL service should always work, right ? Not so with the DSL we have. It cuts out intermittently, better now that it was in the past. Still happens about once a week. When there is a problem and I have to call them on the phone it gets more worse......I think my post is quite long enough......I just hope that Auntie has bettter luck in dealing with them than we did. I hope she unleashes her fire on them !

Comment

Getting my DSL modem through lava.net was nowhere as painful as this! In fact lava.net has been painless through most of the years they have been my service provider. Yes, I pay a little more for lava.net, but hey... when my modem came, the process was seamless going from dialup to DSL took only 15 minutes lag time. No serious internet withdrawals.

A few years ago there were some horror stories involving extremely long waits between the time of ordering and receiving just telephone service or a change through Verizon. Perhaps this is a carryover to HawaiianTelcom from the not so distant Verizon days.

Anyway like all the fans of Auntie Lynn, we all hope for a speedy, swift, talkative and frank discussion when she returns.
        Last edited by mel; October 2, 2005, 09:10 AM. Reason: added more...
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I think I might've posted this in another thread, so I apologize in advance for any redundancy.

Once you have the DSL equipment (router, software, phone line filters) and they're installed properly, DSL is supposed to be 'plug 'n play'. Ha! I spent 2 full days trying to plug 'n play with abysmal support from Verizon's off-shore tech support. Fortunately I kept my LavaNet dial-up account so I was never without access to the internet which is mandatory for my job. But it was a very, very frustrating 2 days. I've had it for a couple of months now and love it. So far no problems. Hopefully Auntie has Adrian to help her.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            [...]
            A few years ago there were some horror stories involving extremely long waits between the time of ordering and receiving just telephone service or a change through Verizon. Perhaps this is a carryover to HawaiianTelcom from the not so distant Verizon days.[...].
            There is still a lag time for DSL (don't know about phone service)...at least there was 2+ months ago with Verizon. Initially I was told my service would be available 8 days after ordering. It turned out to be 14 days. I assumed the lag was to allow the customer time to receive the router and software that was shipped from the mainland. In the meantime I still had my LavaNet dial-up account.

I'm with you, Mel. I think LavaNet is 'the best' and will continue to hang on to that dial-up account. I just couldn't fit their DSL rates into my budget as I need it both at home and in the office.

Comment

When we signed up with Verizon, I think we had to wait about a week (maybe even less because I remember being surprised at how fast it got to us after we ordered) to get our equipment. Then about 5 days for our service ready date, but we had our dial-up the entire time. In fact, the reason we got DSL to begin with was because our dial-up was screwing up royally and moving so much slower than usual. We signed up for Verizon, then figured out our connection was crap because one of our phone line cables were really messed up outside. So mom went out as spliced them together, then our compy was all normal again.

Anyway, we got the DSL installed the very night after we were allowed to and that was that. I don't remember how long installation took but it must not have taken that long if I've got nothing to complain about, heh. This all took place in June. We got the year contract dealy (I think that's also what Aaron S suggested we do in the first place, Aaron's the one that gave me all the info on Verizon and such, so thanks!), and haven't had any problems with it so far. Unless the problems just happened to occur when we weren't on the computer.

Anyway, I hope Auntie Lynn gets everything taken care of soon I'd go nuts if my internet connection just got cut off on me. I swear, my mom would NOT stop phoning our provider, either. She can get a little nuts sometimes...
              Last edited by kupomog; October 2, 2005, 01:13 PM.
              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                I think I might've posted this in another thread, so I apologize in advance for any redundancy.
                We had a DSL v. RoadRunner conversation just recently. I love DSL and will never go back to Oceanic, but my neighbor is making the exact opposite switch, with the same degree of relish. So, obviously, YMMV!

If Aunty Lynn is kept offline much longer, I suspect the entire Internet will reverberate when she finally gets reconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Auntie Lynn's incredible, awesome, handsome webmaster has posted an update to AuntiePupule.com. She's fine, but I expect a torrent of blog posts when she gets back online (and a few choice words for her internet service provider!

Humble, too, I would add!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I was at her place last week, and she had a cold, so hopefully she's resting alright.

I'll go to her place on Thursday to hookup the DSL properly (if someone hasn't done so already) and maybe I'll give an update then.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Thursday, thursday.... that is 4 days from now. Can she survive without an internet hookup????
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

When I switched from Road Runner to Verizon DSL, I believe service ready
                        date was 10 days after the order. Actually it was turned on a bit earlier
                        than that because Verizon did a mistake on their end. Our phone service
                        got screwed up because they misconfigured the DSLAM. Besides that, I have not had any serious problems with my service, except some bits of slowness about a year ago and a DNS resolution issue.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
                          (I think that's also what Aaron S suggested we do in the first place, Aaron's the one that gave me all the info on Verizon and such, so thanks!),
                          Not a problem, happy to help. The year contract is probably the best route
                          as you end up saving 15.00 a month over Road runner minus taxes. Probably
                          the best deal out there, 3Mbps/768K for 29.95 a month.
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                            Thursday, thursday.... that is 4 days from now. Can she survive without an internet hookup????
                            I have finals this week, so its just a safe bet that I'll be going by then (there's a 5% chance I'll go before hand, plus I need to fix other things)

Just expect a lot of pics from her in the coming days afterward.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Still no Lynn! Ai yah NT Pupule going be real pupuple....
                              HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM
                              ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Working...
                              X