I'm not working with family anymore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not working with family anymore!

My Mom just got angry after I set her computer account to a limited account, because my sister also uses that computer. So, I put in a password, and log her in, and she gets berserk over it. I explain to her that anyone can go into her account and change the file settings and basically destroy the computer, but she pouts and say why I treat her like that. I tell her that my sister is downloading (or trying) to download P2P programs and if she gets caught, then we could lose the business/house/everything, but she still doesn't understand it.

I'm just protecting our behinds and the possblities that might happen if people do this. If I didn't do this for all of the computers in the house, then I wouldn't be here.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: I'm not working with family anymore!

Did you setup another account for your sister too? Or does your mom and your sister share the same account on that computer?

Most people have very little experience in using computers that have multiple accounts.

As a suggestion you might want to setup another limited account for yourself and use that account for your day-to-day work and only use the administrator account to install software.

Comment

Doc, did you try explaining it to her using a bank account analogy? Maybe she would understand that. Like, try putting it into terms she can understand? If you use computer talk, she might think you're trying to pull something over on her, or it might bug her that you're talking over her head. But if you put it into terms she can understand, she might be more accepting of what you're trying to tell her.

Just a thought.

MadAzza

Comment

That's a tough issue to deal with. I had a business computer that I let my Operations Manager use to conduct wholesale orders on but limited her to "Limited" as a user.

Of course she was pissed but there was some very confidential information on my account I didn't want passed on. Eventually I just installed another computer for her giving her administrative clearance on that computer. What she didn't know was that although she had admin priviledges she didn't know about the "Safe Mode" to bring up the Administrator Account.

I believe the new Windows OS addresses this problem with the Administrator Account at a higher level of clearance but allow users to have more flexability than the current "Limited" account levels.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X