Making salt is thriving business on Moloka'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making salt is thriving business on Moloka'i

Nancy Gove helped found a company on Moloka'i called Hawai'i Kai Salts. The salt she produces (white, red and black) are known to gourmets all over the world. I read about her products in one of the many foodie magazines that I subscribe to, so when I was on Moloka'i last year, I looked her up. Her first "plant", which takes sea water from offshore next to the K'kai harbor landing, is in an A-frame building and there are evaporative beds outside for drying the salt.

The really neat thing is she has this vision of teaching salt farming, which was a traditional Hawaiian art, to local residents. Since Moloka'i has such a high unemployment rate, this is a way for some homestead residents to make some money. They sell the salt back to Hawai'i Kai which then packages and sells it.

Her products are now being carried by several local retailers as well as by mail order. I love the black salt (I bought some small pouches of the stuff). It looks really good sprinkled over a white plate or around the rim of a cocktail glass.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Making salt is thriving business on Moloka'i

Salt making is alive and well on Kauai, mostly at Salt Pond Beach on the south shore. Salt plots have been passed down from generations, and the Salt Pond Salt Making Association forbids salt gatherers from selling the salt havested. One reason is that the salt is made the old fashion way left out in the sun by the beach. That would never pass the board of health. Second, some people start getting greedy, and take more than they need. Good for the guys on Molokai, at least there is some type of employment.

Comment

Originally posted by knockouthawaii
      Salt making is alive and well on Kauai, mostly at Salt Pond Beach on the south shore. Salt plots have been passed down from generations, and the Salt Pond Salt Making Association forbids salt gatherers from selling the salt havested. One reason is that the salt is made the old fashion way left out in the sun by the beach. That would never pass the board of health. Second, some people start getting greedy, and take more than they need. Good for the guys on Molokai, at least there is some type of employment.
      When we visited Kauai a couple of years ago, we had lunch at the beach right next to that salt pond (boy it was windy! ). There were even a couple of people working to gather up the sand in 5 gallon buckets. They harvest ala'e salt there, yeah?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

They were havesting regular hawaiian salt, the alae comes from the mountain. There is alae that also come from the shoreline, be we get ours from the mountain.
        Aloha

Comment

Okay I'm gonna be a stickler here but how does one "make" salt? I believe the correct term here is "collecting" salt.

But I do agree it is a profitable business.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Okay I'm gonna be a stickler here but how does one "make" salt?
            Well you take your sodium metal and your chlorine gas and you put 'em together... and ka-boom! you've made sodium chloride, a.k.a. salt.

Comment

you are right. I ment harvesting salt after a long process that includes know how, sweat, patience, and sunny weather.

Aloha

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Nancy Gove helped found a company on Moloka'i called Hawai'i Kai Salts.
                Because of this msg, I followed the link to read this story. I think this sort of thing is so exciting. My line of work puts me right in the middle of Hawaii's aquaculture sector, and this is not wholy unrelated. I wish this firm global success and a way to generate more income for Molokai while helping preserve the Hawaiian culture.

It's the kinda story you just feel good about.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Well you take your sodium metal and your chlorine gas and you put 'em together... and ka-boom! you've made sodium chloride, a.k.a. salt.

I tink I'd rather collect it rather than make it...that Ka BOOM part doesn't sit well with me

Comment

Originally posted by knockouthawaii
                    you are right. I ment harvesting salt after a long process that includes know how, sweat, patience, and sunny weather.

Aloha

Ho!!!! Now I know why salt is so salty with all that sweat pouring into the mix

Comment

Working...
                    X