Driving stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving stories

I thought I'd make a thread where people post "driving stories", stories about things that happened while you drove or on the road.

I'll start:
    I was on my 3rd or so driving lesson with one of the High School's driving instructors, with me driving back from Waianae (after my partner drove us there). I had the green light for a few stoplights, until I sped passed a redlight. My instructor pointed that out to me, and when she was about to drop it, I saw blue lights behind me. So I pulled over to the side, and recognized that it was my former Law Enforcement Explorer Advisor. He noticed me and we talked story, and he mentioned he heard about me starting driving lessons (apparently word spread fast about stuff when it involves the Explorers at the police station). He let me off the hook, but only if I come down to his place to take a look at his computer and whatnot. My driving instructor and partner was amazed that I didn't get a ticket, or my permit revoked. From that point on, I was careful about looking at the lights, but I was also teased that I got pulled over on my first few driving lessons.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Driving stories

I was in Ojai, calif for a year when i was 16, and took my driving lessons there. High schools had that back in ancient days.
    The car was packed with me at the wheel, the instructor and two classmates in da back.
    This guy was funny; he would fall asleep while watching us learn to drive. he nodded off about Ventura, and I hightailed it south, only to have him awaken by the time we got to the beverly hills/santa monica area of the 405.
    ya shoulda seen the look on his face when he awoke!

Comment

Funny driving story....
      Although I now have no problems with driving in a snow blizzard, back when we first moved here to Haverhill I was not quite used to driving in the snow at all! Snow was coming down at a good clip and I was going too fast as I tried to make a right turn into the parking lot of my grocery store. The back end of my car came out from my left and so I skidded past the turn! I quickly turned my steering wheel into the skid and straightened out the car. By then I was past the turn and decided crap, not going grocery shopping today!

Scary driving story...
      On route home from Boston on I95. A few cars ahead of me there was a large, silver SUV that swerved from the right lane, crossing the two middle lanes. I and several cars swerved around him to avoid running into him. I passed him and immediately looked in my side view mirror and saw the vehicle flip over several times! Two other drivers and I stopped. The SUV ended up on it's roof. I called 911 as I'm sure the other drivers did as well. It was scary and I can still recall how my hands hurt from gripping the steering wheel so hard!!
      Lovena

Comment

When I was 16. Yeah, here it comes. I was driving my first girlfriend's mother's VW rabbit-(mistake #1). I was driving too fast for my ability and for that car's either-(mistake #2). We were besides Wheeler air base when I passed a vehicle and lost control, we ended up sliding sideways down the roadway till the tires caught, sending us upwards. The van behind us were off duty EMT's and they said we flipped four times before even coming back down. The windshield popped out and when we stopped we were upside down in the ditch. Neither of us were hurt, but we (Me & EMT's) had to lift the car in order to get off my soon to be wife's hair. It was caught under the car through where the windshield was. Thank God she was alright. Needless to say this didn't do much good for me and her mother's relationship. We took off for California shortly thereafter.
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          I was in Ojai, calif for a year when i was 16, and took my driving lessons there. High schools had that back in ancient days.
          The car was packed with me at the wheel, the instructor and two classmates in da back.
          This guy was funny; he would fall asleep while watching us learn to drive. he nodded off about Ventura, and I hightailed it south, only to have him awaken by the time we got to the beverly hills/santa monica area of the 405.
          ya shoulda seen the look on his face when he awoke!
          Kimo,

That's pretty funny. I guess that's what he gets for snoozin' while you were driving!

Btw, what year were you in Ojai?

Comment

i was 16 so... uh that woulda been 1971.
            my parent divorced and i spent one year with my father there who was mainland side for a few years on business.

Comment

I was on H1 headed Diamond Head near Aiea when a tire, complete with wheel, came sailing over the divider from the opposite direction.

Luckily it bounced high over me but I watched in my rear-view mirror and was expecting the worst. A green Explorer swerved to avoid the flying tire and soon lost control.

The Explorer slid around 180 degrees without flipping and came to a stop! I don't think anyone else got hurt that time around but what an incredibly insane thing to happen.

Comment

I once got a flat (blow out) front tire on my Honda 750 while riding! Me and my lady were going back to her place in Mililani and only a few blocks away. So luckily I was driving 20mph or less. When the tire blew the rubber kept folding under the rim and kicking the handlebar back and forth very hard while popping little wheelies. My wife had fairly long nails that went through my T-shirt and into my belly. We didn't go down though, my steeltoe boots and the back tire is what kept us up. Another lucky one we walked away from. Whew!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

ojai's a nice little town; spent a short time there attending a workshop at lynda's place.

anyway, small driving story. driving west on wilder at about 7 am; i was the lead car with a few cars behind me; we're all moving kinda fast to make an eventual left (and then right) to get on the freeway when all of a sudden i see a single damn hub cap rolling right at me! i could have suddenly hit the brakes but i'm sure that would've meant being rear ended so i didn't and then bam! that hub cap, totally perpendicular to the ground, hit the front of my car and shattered into a million pieces some guys have all the luck
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                  X