Goji Juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goji Juice

GOJI JUICE is another one of those "Cure-All" products claiming to have a number of major health benefits. The research behind this product is that Goji has 4 polysaccharides (LB1, 2, 3 & 4) or "master molecules", which serve as "directors" of body cells.

It's sold in ready-to-drink liquid form at about $40 for 32 oz.. Recommended dosage is 2-4 oz/day.

Interestingly, we found out its primary ingredient is the Miracle Berry, which we actually have growing right in our yard!

Here are some of its claims:

• Prevent Cancer
    • Lower Blood Pressure
    • Lower Cholesterol
    • Enhance Libido
    • Lose Weight
    • Reduce Arthritis Symptoms
    • Improve Fertility
    • Improve Kidney Health
    • Treat PMS
    • Manage Diabetes
    • Improve Memory
    • Strenghten Muscles and Bones
    • Extend Your Life
    • Increase Energy
    • Look and Feel Younger

...just to name a few.

My GF's mother just bought my GF a bottle to try. Gotta' say, it taste pretty darned good. Kind of like a sweetened Cranberry-Grape flavor with a little kick to it.

But at $40/quart ($160/gallon), it better do alot more than taste great! Ouch.

Anyone here using it? Has it actually lived up to any of its health claims? Or is Goji Juice just another "Snake Oil" rip-off?
    Last edited by Pomai; October 3, 2005, 06:03 PM. Reason: Added Content
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Goji Juice

pomai, you doin that ol' MLM thang again?!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      pomai, you doin that ol' MLM thang again?!
      Nope. But perhaps someone my GF's mother knows is! lol

Honestly, this thread isn't me trying to market the product. We have just 1 bottle, and doubtfully any of its health claims will take effect with that amount.

Just wanna' know if anyone here's been using it for an extended period of time.

Does AMWAY sell that too?
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Interestingly, we found out its primary ingredient is the Miracle Berry, which we actually have growing right in our yard!
        How funny you should bring this up, Pomai, since our neighbor just gave us a cutting of the Miracle Berry plant yesterday! We didn't know what it was called, but after a search on the web, I found out.

It seems that the "miracle" of this plant is it's ability to make things taste sweet. You chew on one of it's red berries and for a few hours, supposedly, sour fruits or other tangy, sour foods will taste sweet. An excerpt from this website: http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombre...cle_berry.htm:
        The basis for this reaction is the presence of miraculin in the fruit of this species. This taste modifying protein does not actually taste sweet, but apparently it binds to receptors of the taste buds, temporarily changing their function. While the taste modifying capabilities of the fruits have been known for over a century, miraculin was only isolated in the early 1970’s. The exact mechanism of action has yet to be elucidated, but is the subject of research, especially for its potential use as an “artificial sweetener”.
        More info/pic of Miracle Fruit
        And yet more info, on Miracle Fruit Info on this site mentions that "The fruit also acts as an appetite stimulant for chemotherapy patients. The effects of the glyco protein masks the metallic taste that food tends to get after chemo treatment."

P.S. How big is the Miracle Berry plant you have?
        Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
          How funny you should bring this up, Pomai, since our neighbor just gave us a cutting of the Miracle Berry plant yesterday!

P.S. How big is the Miracle Berry plant you have?
          A family friend gave it to us a while back. It's still in its original pot, standing approx. 4 ft. tall, which supposedly took more than 20 years to grow. Very healthy and green. Leaves look kind of like Mock Orange. Not exactly, but similar.

The berries seem to blossom seasonally, like Mangoes. We never really paid attention to the plant until recently.

You're right though.. eat a lemon with it and you get this sweet sensation.

Just realized there's a "Health" section that perhaps this thread would've been better suited.

Nah, but if you tank' 'em like one soda, you can consider Goji Juice "Kau Kau Corner" material!.
          Last edited by Pomai; October 3, 2005, 06:52 PM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I have to retract what I said earlier about the Miracle Berry being associated to Goji Juice. Ends up that was an ASSUMPTION made after seeing the Miracle Berry in our yard which only LOOKS the same as the one on the label. Not fact.

Supposedly the Goji Berry only thrives at high elevation. Hence, their claim that these berries are harvested from the Himalayan mountains.

But, if it really is the same as the Miracle Berry grown here, let us know!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

damn!
              and here I was ready to buy it from you and be part of yer Amway downline!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                damn!
                and here I was ready to buy it from you and be part of yer Amway downline!
                I get tickets for Huli Huli Chicken! Like buy?

Nah, nah! jus' keeding.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

long as i can wash em down with some herbalife nonijuice!

Comment

www.plantithawaii.com, over on the Big I in Kurtistown, has info on the Miracle Fruit listed on their web-site. Go to the "Plant Guide" link, then scroll down to the "exotic" section of the page brought up, and you will see a link to the Miracle Fruit. The little write-up on it mentions the ability of the miracle fruit to "sweeten" whatever sour food one has consumed up to an hour after eating one of them.

Comment

Mahalo Surfingfarmboy.

Through that link I was able to specify my search and confirm that Miracle Berry and Goji Berry are indeed DIFFERENT:

• Goji Berry (Chinese Wolfberry) - Lycium barbarum

• Miracle Fruit (Miracle Berry) - Synsepalum dulcificum

The photos of each plant further confirm this.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                        ...I was able to specify my search and confirm that Miracle Berry and Goji Berry are indeed DIFFERENT.
                        I had also done a search on each and also saw the difference, though the berries themselves look very similar.
                        Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

I've never tried the juice, but I ate the berries in China. They grow in some regions of Tibet and Sichuan. They were bright red, dried and tasted like raisins. I've heard they're high in antioxidants and a friend of mine (a TCM practitioner/acupuncturist) said a handful a day will 'purify the blood'. All I know is they're pretty ono and not too expensive if you go to Chinatown, so I'll keep eating them.

Comment

Regarding Dried Goji Berries
                            Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
                            All I know is they're pretty ono and not too expensive if you go to Chinatown, so I'll keep eating them.
                            Great tip!

Any specific store you know of? And when I go on, what do I ask them for?

Did some Googlin' on DRIED FRUITS, and found most of the nutrients are retained in this process, except (in some cases) a small loss of B & C vitamins. But for the most part, dried is the next best thing to FRESH.

Checked out Jamba Juice' site, and they apparently do not offer Goji as an ingredient on their "menu" (yet). They use the Brazillian Acai juice though.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I may as well complete the list of health benefits that the makers of Goji Juice claim:

• Improve Immune System
                              • Protect Your DNA
                              • Inhibit Tumor Growth
                              • Reduce Toxic Effects of Chemotherapy and Radiation
                              • Relieve Headaches and Dizziness
                              • Get Better Sleep
                              • Improve Your Vision
                              • Inhibit Lipid Peroxidation (Heart Damage from Cholesterol)
                              • Help Chronic Dry Cough
                              • Improve Mental Health
                              • Prevent Morning Sickness]
                              • Alleviate Anxiety and Stress

• Turns you into a "supermodel"
                              • Leap tall buildings in a single bound
                              • Enables you to live up to 900 years old like "Yoda" in Star Wars

**Just kidding on the last 3!**
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X