No Costco for Kauai for now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Costco for Kauai for now

Due to the escalating costs of labor and materials because of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, Costco is postponing plans to build a store on Kauai. This comes as a blow to the locals on the Garden Isle who were anxiously waiting for the cheaper prices on goods and gas that Costco would offer.

Construction in general might slow down for a little while in Hawai'i, as more resources get pulled down to the Gulf Coast to rebuild that part of the country, and whatever construction continues in the 'aina, will end up having huge cost overruns.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.โ€ --Mark Twain

Re: No Costco for Kauai for now

The cost of building has gone up everywhere, so dat mean Hawaii is even moe yeah wit having to ship stuff ova.
    At least dey have WalMart. Once upon a time, back in da day Kauai people went to Honolulu school shopping but Kauai get plenny stuff now, no need go Honolulu.
    ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika
      The cost of building has gone up everywhere, so dat mean Hawaii is even moe yeah wit having to ship stuff ova.
      At least dey have WalMart.
      and what would WM have to do with anything?

Comment

We were just on the garden aisle this past July.

We shopped in Big Save Super Market (chain exclusive to Kauai) and WALMART.

What surprised me was how CLOSE IN PRICE these two were in comparison to Oahu. Big Save especially surprised me, considering their relatively small "buying power".

Most items that I took note of were on average either the SAME or just slightly higher than Oahu, but only by PENNIES (5-10ยข avg.), not DOLLARS.

Try do the same thing on Maui or the Big Island. No way!

But yeah, family who we spoke with about Costco coming were certainly looking forward to it. I'm sure they'll be bummed out.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          We were just on the garden aisle this past July.
          so was I this past week. Bought a few Monsterra plants and an anthurium.
          I think Home Depot has the best garden aisle. don't you?

Comment

I meant Garden ISLE.

Gotta' say, HD's garden AISLE is quite impressive.

Speaking of which, the proposed land at Kukui Grove Village for Costco is just steps away from Home Depot.
            Last edited by Pomai; October 5, 2005, 10:06 AM. Reason: Added Content
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              and what would WM have to do with anything?
              Oh WalMart on Kauai no moe groceries huh. Sorry I'm thinking Supacentas on da mainland.
              Last edited by GypsyLika; October 5, 2005, 06:15 PM.
              ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Working...
              X