Haole Kids, Hawaiian Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haole Kids, Hawaiian Names

As I approach the age at which my father fathered me, I'm wondering what the kanaka maoli take is on haole folks giving their kids Hawaiian names. I'm a haole guy, proud Irish, but if and when I have keiki, I'd like to give them a Hawaiian middle name. I'd, of course, have my auntie, a genuine Kahuna, approve or grant the name.

I grew up in HI, malahini all the way, but respectful of and inspired by the kupuna who made me feel like I belong. So, what's the verdict? Can I give my yet-to-be-conceived son or daughter a Hawaiian name without ending up on the "What Pisses You Off" thread?
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Re: Haole Kids, Hawaiian Names

It's cool yer concious and sensitive about this.

buuuuutttt...
    'da heck's a
    malahini?

mala hini means stiff, sore, bruised, weak, feeble.
    You that?

do you mean
    malihini?
    if so, and ya grew up in Hawaii, ya ain't.
    Last edited by kimo55; October 5, 2005, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
      As I approach the age at which my father fathered me, I'm wondering what the kanaka maoli take is on haole folks giving their kids Hawaiian names. I'm a haole guy, proud Irish, but if and when I have keiki, I'd like to give them a Hawaiian middle name. I'd, of course, have my auntie, a genuine Kahuna, approve or grant the name.

I grew up in HI, malahini all the way, but respectful of and inspired by the kupuna who made me feel like I belong. So, what's the verdict? Can I give my yet-to-be-conceived son or daughter a Hawaiian name without ending up on the "What Pisses You Off" thread?
      You can name your kid whatever you like. I wouldn't give my kids, with not a drop of Hawaiian blood in them, Hawaiian names but then that's just me. I have friends and relatives who've done it, and who am I to say no.

But if it bothers you a little to be "encroaching" on Hawaiian territory, then what about this: give the kid a name that's a Hawaiianized version of a Western name, like Malia (Mary) or Kawika (David), rather than a purely Hawaiian name like Ikaika (strength) or Puanani (beautiful flower).

This touches on the questions I raised in an earlier thread about Hawaiian culture and exclusivity vs. inclusivity. Is it OK to enter into and partake of Hawaiian culture if you yourself are not kanaka maoli? Does doing so dilute and adulterate the culture, or grow and enrich it?

Comment

I like Glen's idea about an "Hawaiianized version of a Western name" we want to give our daughter a Hawaiian name because they are pretty names and also it seems right to honor the place and the culture that we are living with

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          It's cool yer concious and sensitive about this.
          mala hini means stiff, sore, bruised, weak, feeble.
          You that?
          obviously, you've never seen me the morning after a kick-ass rock and roll show...thanks for the vocab tutorial, kimo-san...now i know...

and thanks to the rest of yall for the insight..."malia" would be a fine name for my yet-to-be-conceived little girl, as its anglicized counterpart is a family name...

come to think of it, so would "kimo"...for the boy, of course...
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

tues nite rock event? where? what?!

Comment

"malia" would be a fine name for my yet-to-be-conceived little girl, as its anglicized counterpart is a family name...
              The world could use a few more like this one. Get to it.

http://www.tiscali.cz/PictureShow/malia_jones/malia.jpg
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Haole kids with Hawaiian names...kinda like that half full half empty glass dilemma. Hmmm what names come to mind: Hey how about Lokelani Lindsey or dare I say...Haunani K. Trask! Then there's Palani Vaughn, ho man da list can get long on dis one eh!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I don't know why, but the title of this thread just brings Kamehemeha Schools to mind.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Haole kids with Hawaiian names...kinda like that half full half empty glass dilemma. Hmmm what names come to mind: Hey how about Lokelani Lindsey or dare I say...Haunani K. Trask! Then there's Palani Vaughn, ho man da list can get long on dis one eh!
                    Aloha craigwatanabe,

The UH Professor/activist sister of Kāhala-Ann, Mililani, Damien-Marie, and Michael is "Haunani-Kay Trask", not "Haunani K. Trask." "Haunani K." is Haunani-Kay's late mother, Haunani Katherine Cooper Trask. There's a story behind how the daughters of the late Bernard Kauka'ohu Trask got their names.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Aloha jdub,

As long as you know the 'ōlelo and are aware of the possible kaona, feel free to give your kid a Hawaiian middle name. If your kahuna auntie is somewhat kolohe, your kid could end up with "Kamalahokū" "Puakūākalikea" as a middle name. As for "Hawaiianizing" a Western name, sometimes the results can be unintended. For instance, the "Hawaiianized" version of "Katherine" is "Kakalina", which can mean "sticky gas" in Hawaiian. Since "Katherine" is derived from the Greek word for "purity", "sticky gas" is a quite a deviation from the original meaning. In addition, Spanish speakers would probably smile and call a "Kakalina" something like "caca" for short.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Malia has become a very common name on the mainland. I know alot of Native Americans of diffrent tribes who have the more common Hawaiian first names. Use to be you hear a Hawaiian name and there's a Hawaiian connection, not necessarily so any more. There's a half Navajo kid named Kawika Begay, I don't know if the ada half is local or what.

One of my husbands students named their daughta Kalani, but they say it KAY-lani. I told her that Kalani in Hawaii, is pronouced KAH-lani. She said she always saw that name and thought it was pretty and different. I guess in Arizona/New Mexico it is.
                        ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                          Aloha craigwatanabe,

The UH Professor/activist sister of Kāhala-Ann, Mililani, Damien-Marie, and Michael is "Haunani-Kay Trask", not "Haunani K. Trask." "Haunani K." is Haunani-Kay's late mother, Haunani Katherine Cooper Trask. There's a story behind how the daughters of the late Bernard Kauka'ohu Trask got their names.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                          Please do tell, I'm all ears I've always wondered why the most intense Hawaiian activists have haole last names?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

obviously, you've never seen me the morning after a kick-ass rock and roll show...thanks for the vocab tutorial, kimo-san...now i know...

and thanks to the rest of yall for the insight..."malia" would be a fine name for my yet-to-be-conceived little girl, as its anglicized counterpart is a family name...

come to think of it, so would "kimo"...for the boy, of course...
                            you should name your shortiy a good irish name like Connor or Hunter or LIAM, Riley or Seamus but if you insist on a hawaiian name how about Waikeiki Soo Ha'ole (I added a little korean twist)

Comment

You know what gets me?

It all those Japanese with Western names,
                              and alll those Chinese with Biblical names
                              and all those filipinos with spanish names.
                              and all those Hawaiians with european names,

Ok, I geev up.

Comment

Working...
                              X