Vendor for Super 8 Film to MiniDV Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor for Super 8 Film to MiniDV Transfer

I have a bunch of 30+ year old Super 8 format "home movies" I want to transfer to MiniDV tape for archival and editing purposes. I would like the film inspected, cleaned, and spliced/repaired as necessary. Anyone have any luck with a good local vendor? If you have done this before, any suggestions on what to look for (in a potential vendor) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Vendor for Super 8 Film to MiniDV Transfer

how funny you mention this at this moment.... right now, in the process of tranferring old home movies of my own and other client's from super 8 to minidv, editing then to dvd.
    Last edited by kimo55; October 5, 2005, 02:11 PM.

Comment

i can also help with such a project...
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        how funny you mention this at this moment.... right now, in the process of tranferring old home movies of my own and other client's from super 8 to minidv, editing then to dvd.
        ....while all work is performed in a completely non smoking environment by a nonsmoker, (who happens to own non smoker's clean fingers and hands) using lab quality preventive, protective measures while working with the film.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          ....while all work is performed in a completely non smoking environment by a nonsmoker, (who happens to own non smoker's clean fingers and hands) using lab quality preventive, protective measures while working with the film.
          OK, I take it you do this kind of work? I can't tell from your post if you do this as a serious part of your normal work or if it is just a hobby. From my research so far I understand that transfer companies run the gamut from companies that do frame-by-frame scanning of the film to I guess more normal telecine techniques (I am just starting my research on this). I have read about chemical cleaning baths, suspension of the film in fluid to hide scratches and projecting the image on glass to minimize color contamination due to the color of a nomal projection screen. Cost is a factor, but not the most important. I am more interested in the experience of the organization, the quality of the equipment used, and the process they use in the transfer.

I am a bit cautious because as you might expect, these reels of film are irreplaceable. I plan to have this process done once and done right.

Again, any assitance or insight you may provide would be appreciated.

Comment

>OK, I take it you do this kind of work?

yes.

>I can't tell from your post if you do this as a serious part of your normal work or if it is just a hobby.

serious. not hobby.

>From my research so far I understand that transfer companies run the gamut from companies that do frame-by-frame scanning of the film....

not here. that would be Hollywood.

>to I guess more normal telecine techniques (I am just starting my research on this). I have read about chemical cleaning baths, suspension of the film in fluid to hide scratches...

all this chemical bath stuff, try the mainland.
            Or at the least, hawaii film office. Maybe they can refer.
            I would not touch original film other than handle it carefully thru the projector.
            Basically was responding to the transferring of Super 8 format "home movies". I work with stuff older than 1975. actually any age, but usually 60's. and I transfer it to minidv and/or dvd, then drop it into FCPHD, edit it with titling, intros, do the necessary foley work, b/g music, etc...

Comment

Well, now. That's interesting, because I have a couple of dozen reels of Super-8 film that I've thought about transferring to DVD for archival purposes as well as gifts.

Hmm. What's the time frame to do a reel, and what's the usual, customary and reasonable cost?

I've looked this stuff up occasionally and never found a local company to do it, but I have to admit I didn't look all that hard. Seems to me the price was always around $50-100 per film reel. Am I wrong?
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

yea, that's the going rate, with the rate inflating as the years go by...
                But I work for just 20 bucks an hour, for Ht peeps!

naah. joking.

Comment

Thanks Kimo for your feedback/comments. They were helpful. I did actually check in with the folks at the Film Office at DBEDT. They were friendly, but did not have much in the way of local referrals. What I am beginning to suspect is that I am sold on all the extra “bells and whistles” offered by some mainland transfer houses.

Link: From my limited research of mainland houses, the rates seem to range around 10-30 cents per foot (did not check much locally), depending on the level of work you want done (film prep before transfer, process used during transfer, etc.). The price usually includes a limited amount of titles, background music, chapter stops on your DVD, etc.

Now if anyone could point me to a forum or message board, so I could get some mainland leads, I would be grateful. I have tried for a while and turn up zero. Maybe I’m not looking hard enough!

Comment

aaannnd, I'm outta here!

Comment

Working...
                    X