Hawai'i's Landlords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i's Landlords

Is it just me. . . . . or is Hawai'i ridden with slum lords?

We have found a very nice apartment just west of downtown to make our new home, however we have been battling a cockroach infestion since day 1. (thanks to everyone for their advice on eliminating them)

What I will/would like to say is that for 8 days, my wife and I looked at countless apartments. The overwhelming majority of these apartments were disgusting - if I were a property owner here, I would have been embarassed to show some of these places. . . . .

Anyone feel me?

Steverino
    Last edited by Stephen; October 6, 2005, 12:31 AM.

Re: Hawai'i's Landlords

I don't know that I'd call them slum lords, but Honolulu is definitely short on rentals so it's the tenants who fight to get chosen by the landlords, not the other way around.

Comment

i've got a Kick-ass landlord, nissei, i think, possibly issei...he's entrusted me with a fine 3-bedroom and has been categorically accommodating...he's no slum lord...

from past experience, i'd say it's the property management companies that are the real slumlords...
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen

We have found a very nice apartment just west of downtown to make our new home, however we have been battling a cockroach infestion since day 1. (thanks to everyone for their advice on eliminating them)

What I will/would like to say is that for 8 days, my wife and I looked at countless apartments. The overwhelming majority of these apartments were disgusting - if I were a property owner here, I would have been embarassed to show some of these places. . . . .

Anyone feel me?

Steverino
        Eh no make fun of our State Bird!

But seriously...roaches are found in even the most eclectic homes. I know I had bambucha B-52 roaches invade my home up on Waialae Iki IV ridge many times. My sister lives up Hawaii Loa Ridge and same thing, lots of roaches and she lives right across the street from the family that owns the Browning Rifle company and next door to Jay Stone's house. I bet they get roaches too!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          Eh no make fun of our State Bird!

But seriously...roaches are found in even the most eclectic homes. I know I had bambucha B-52 roaches invade my home up on Waialae Iki IV ridge many times. My sister lives up Hawaii Loa Ridge and same thing, lots of roaches and she lives right across the street from the family that owns the Browning Rifle company and next door to Jay Stone's house. I bet they get roaches too!
          word, craig! i've always maintained that you're never truly kama'aina until you've been woken up by a B-52 on your face...it can happen anywhere here!
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Steverino

My standards for what is acceptable rental housing have fallen quite precipitously. I remember the sinking feeling as I realized how low-quality the choices were during my housing hunt, especially since I was pretty much limited to Honolulu itself because of my job situation. That's why I'm scared to death to look for a decent pet-friendly place now. Since prices have gone up still more since my first search three years ago, I'll probably have to settle for a leaky outhouse if I'm trying to find a pet-friendly apt at the same price I'm currently paying for my non-pet-friendly rental.

Comment

It's both. You are ridden with slum lords and Hawaii is, also.

Comment

It's true that the rental places usually aren't as nice as they "should" be. With a little self effort though we have made every place we've lived in nice and homey, instead of homely (HaHa). The owners know that since more people need a place than are available they don't have to put much effort into cosmetics. If they do then the lower-middle class can no longer afford what they ask so it's a vicious cycle. The free enterprise system is set up in supply-demand fashion. Only people that truly care about others, go the extra mile. We all have to make a living. It's finding the balance that's hard.
                Post #150
                Last edited by Menehune Man; October 6, 2005, 04:50 PM. Reason: Adding post count...
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I guess I misspoke. I am very pleased with our new landlord(s.) They are awesome - the place is in great condition, 2 bed/1 bath all utilities paid for 1350. But some of the places we looked at were just gross. I know that the rental market is tight, but seriously, if you owned rental property, would you just let it fall apart? I would try to maintain my investment - and also provide a nice place to live.

Comment

I guess my parents really work hard to maintain the houses when they're up for rent. When it is, then the whole family gets involved: fixing/replacing floor tiles, repainting walls, fixing faucets, and basically cleaning up the mess left by the previous tenant before we put it up for rent.

But the tenants we have are nice, and they usually fix minor things, unless they need our help.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Just west of downtown? You're living in Kalihi, huh?
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener

Aieekudiyah! 'Posed to make deescreet! Bumbai he gotta tell bye bye bye Pua Lane cause we now know wea he stay...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                          No, that would be Liliha. Or is it Kapālama? I thought Kalihi didn't start till after the end of Vineyard or so.

Comment

Working...
                          X