Aloha from the Mainland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from the Mainland

Hi, I'm Richard and I'm from New Jersey, although I've long been interested in Hawai'i and have been there on one lucky occasion (four islands, with a heavy one-week emphasis on Maui, followed by four days on the Big Island, two on Kauai, and 2 on O'ahu....)

I can't quite claim to be born on the mainland, though, on account of Manhattan (yes, the one with all the skyscrapers) not being attached to the rest of North America by anything but bridges and tunnels. Hawaiian culture (and I mean something more authentic than aloha shirts, hula skirts, and other rather famous items) is not unknown around here, but, then again, NYC is a heavily multicultural city, so, of COURSE, there's some society or other representing Hawaiian culture. The trouble is this: it charges too much for access to its events... lol.

Re: Aloha from the Mainland

Hello Richard and Aloha
    Welcome to Hawaii Threads. How's Jersey?
    www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

Aloha and welcome to HT. My cousin lives in NJ ~ Lakewood or Lakeview, something that starts with Lake.
      ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika
        Aloha and welcome to HT. My cousin lives in NJ ~ Lakewood or Lakeview, something that starts with Lake.
        There is a Lakewood in NJ, as well as a Lakehurst. While there's no town named Lakeview as far as Google Maps is concerned, it DOES show some interesting "Lakeview" business names near Lakewood....

Comment

Originally posted by junebloom
          Hello Richard and Aloha
          Welcome to Hawaii Threads. How's Jersey?
          Fine and dandy (although it's a cloudy day today).... we got our Pine Barrens (a big forest on flat land), our mountains (in the northwest), our rivers (the Raritan runs down the middle, the Delaware defines our west, the Passaic runs in the north and has one of the better waterfalls in the state, which probably isn't saying much when compared to Hawaiian scenery), and our cities (with actual railroads, too ). I read somewhere that there was once an O'ahu Railroad that went belly-up about fifty years ago or something, and I've also heard something about Honolulu wanting to do light rail.

Things NJ doesn't have:
          -Volcanoes, although old basalt flows have been uncovered from millions of years ago
          -Anything like that big canyon on Kauai.
          -Tropical winters (lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyrab
            Fine and dandy (although it's a cloudy day today)....
            It's not too nice here on Oahu, either; there are a few clouds in the sky. damn. hate that.

Comment

Working...
            X