The Future of Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of Honolulu

If you care at all about what Honolulu will look like and the amenities it will provide to you in the future, please read the following list of items that was proposed by the Economic Momentum Commission and make your sentiments known by contacting them.
    Contact the Economic Momentum Commission care of Enterprise Honolulu, P.O. Box 3200, Honolulu, HI, 96847 or via its Web site at www.emc-hawaii.com.

As taxpayers of Honolulu and the State of Hawai'i, here's your opportunity to have a say in how your elected officials deal with your traffic problems, high cost of housing, public schools and the tourists.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: The Future of Honolulu

You know, I lived many years on Oahu. Now I live Big Island.

Everytime I gotta get back for family or whatevah, I shake my head at how ugly Honolulu is becoming. All the trees taken down, old architecture homes with style and grace torn down, and replaced with cheap ugly stucco, 5 feet to the boundary, as high as can build, with as many illegal ohana units inside.

Honolulu is becoming one big ugly Kalihi Valley. Manoa, Kaimuki, Kapahulu, Makiki all becoming mini-motels with alleys in between to store junk.

Nothing can be done. Its a lost cause.

And Rail transit has never taken a city with traffic problems and elliminated them. All Rail does is allow more people to live and work in the same grid locked overpopulated place.

Future Honolulu? Hong Kong high rises 50 stories high from downtown to Diamond Head surrounded by neighborhoods of ugly high density homes with no yards, no trees. Just chain link fence and one pit bull.

What a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
      Makiki all becoming mini-motels with....

uh... motels!?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        uh... motels!?

Yeah motels; places where multiple families and individuals all live and sleep under the same roof with a large parking lot full of cars outside and on the street. Kalihi been specializing in this style for 50 years. Now all of Honolulu is Kalihi.

The homes of Honolulu are looking and feeling far more like motels than they do homes.

Ugly. But if you are born and raised in Hawaii and never leave except for Vegas and Disneyland, then you don't see it. The change has been too slow to see and the ugliness of Honolulu is a simple fact of live - survival. No can help.

Comment

Future Honolulu? Hong Kong high rises 50 stories high from downtown to Diamond Head surrounded by neighborhoods of ugly high density homes with no yards, no trees. Just chain link fence and one pit bull.

What a waste.
          The only reason why Honolulu might conceivably be turned into another Hong Kong is if the citizens of Honolulu are apathetic about the planning that is going on now and allow it to happen. Until every single bit of usable land is paved over or built upon, there is still hope.

Citizens with vision and a strong desire to try to preserve as much of what makes Hawai'i Hawai'i as possible are the only ones who can slow down the growth that is occurring. If everyone believed trying to slow growth was a lost cause in Hawai'i, then you're right: the downtown corridor of Honolulu will look like LA or Hong Kong.

But I liken the potential for Honolulu to the renaissance of the kanaka maoli. Up until the 1970s, Hawaiian pride was virtually nonexistent. Speaking or learning the language was discouraged. To admit that you were descended from the kanaka maoli was considered shameful. Now, you have non-Hawaiians in legion learning hula. You have people of all races learning Hawaiian. Rather than becoming extinct, the real Hawaiian culture is once again fluorishing. It would not have happened unless some of the kupuna held on to their beliefs and taught their keiki the chants and the traditions of the kanaka maoli. As a result, there is now an awareness of the Hawaiian culture---going even beyond the tacky tiki culture that Kimo reviles.

If the citizens of Honolulu have a vision for their city, I'm sure it's not one of becoming another LA or Hong Kong. But they need to be vigilant and call their elected officials to task when those people put their own personal interests or the interests of big business ahead of the people's right to have a safe, affordable, liveable and beautiful city to live in.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Good for you Aunty. You go.

I no like burst da bubble, ......... but,.........too late.

Honolulu is gonahz. Mo bettah you go save Molokai, Kauai, Hawaii or even Maui.

You will never undo the ugly "MOTEL SIX" construction that has taken over urban Honolulu.

Oh sure you can put a park here or a waterfront development there but the basic residential areas are going to be slum butt ugly. That's the economics. Two, three families gotta live under one roof. No room for yard cuz no can afford.

All the PhDs at UH, even Jeremy Harris not going solve that one.

Good luck auntie!

Comment

Good for you Aunty. You go.

I no like burst da bubble, ......... but,.........too late.

Honolulu is gonahz. Mo bettah you go save Molokai, Kauai, Hawaii or even Maui.

You will never undo the ugly "MOTEL SIX" construction that has taken over urban Honolulu.

Oh sure you can put a park here or a waterfront development there but the basic residential areas are going to be slum butt ugly. That's the economics. Two, three families gotta live under one roof. No room for yard cuz no can afford.

All the PhDs at UH, even Jeremy Harris not going solve that one.

Good luck auntie!
              Hui Kea:
              NOT up to me...I don't live or vote in the State of Hawai'i. It's up to the people who live there and who pay taxes and vote for the people who are in office who are allowing development to run amuck. If I lived in Hawai'i, you can bet your sweet okole I would be at planning meetings, etc. voicing my opinion. But I can't legitimately claim to have a vested interest in the situation...I can only have pain in my heart seeing what is happening to Hawai'i (and wondering why it has to happen) and my inability to affect anything in a positive way right now.

Miulang

Comment

Yeah motels; places where multiple families and individuals all live and sleep under the same roof with a large parking lot full of cars outside and on the street. Kalihi been specializing in this style for 50 years. Now all of Honolulu is Kalihi.

The homes of Honolulu are looking and feeling far more like motels than they do homes.

Ugly. But if you are born and raised in Hawaii and never leave except for Vegas and Disneyland, then you don't see it. The change has been too slow to see and the ugliness of Honolulu is a simple fact of live - survival. No can help.
                "Just looking out of the window, wacthing the asphalt grow....."
                "You paved PARADISE , put up a parking lot....." Auwe!
                Last edited by alohabear; October 19, 2005, 05:59 AM.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X