Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha From Florida

Aloha!
    I am a complete haole! (Swedish /German) However, I have always loved Hawai'i, the culture and tradition.

I am currently a psychology student and have chosen the sociological/psychological study of Hawai'i as my "area of expertise". I am at the beginning of this, but I know it will be exciting and wonderful. I also know it is Divine!

I was born and raised n Florida and did a recent stint in Atlanta. However, I moved back to get married (2 years). I do not have any children and have 3 cats (which are enogh like children for me, right now).

As far as visiting the Islands, nope. Yeah, I know. How can I possibly love soemthing I have never actually experienced? Well, escapisim through books, internet and music will have to do for now. I hope my research allows me to visit....okay live there, but I will take what I can get for now. Infact the only thing that I would ever leave my husband for would be Hawai'i!

So, I hope to garner friends, and loads of information from these chats. Please be patient, as I am learning the language and the correct usage - which is slow going.

One last thing - any suggestions on good oli CDs? (I do have some Keali'i Reichel, but am looking for some that are just chant).

Blessings!

Re: Aloha From Florida

Originally posted by FLhaole
    Aloha!
    [...]
    One last thing - any suggestions on good oli CDs? (I do have some Keali'i Reichel, but am looking for some that are just chant).
    Blessings!
    Welcome aboard! I've been on HT not quite a month and neglected to introduce myself so it appears you are quite capable of reading much better than I!!!

I had the yearning for Hawaii in my heart, too, before I ever visited so I know what you're feeling. Eventually I visited for the first time (1960) and as soon as the plane's door opened and I got a whiff of the air I knew I was "home". I was only 16. Eighteen years later I finally was able to make the move and I've never regretted it; not even for a moment...and it's been over 27 years!

If you are looking for truly authentic chanting what I'm about to suggest won't be what you're looking for. However, I absolutely love Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu. His chants are "edgy", not traditional, as they're more mele oriented. I'm not sure he still brings his halaus to the Merrie Monarch Festival but when he did I always made sure to watch as his choreography was also edgy. Both his chanting and hula have, on occasion, stirred up some controversy. I have the CD "Po`okela Chants" and love "Keaomelemele". If you have iTunes you can preview that and many others at the music store. Another good site is mele.com Click on the CD icon. It has a chant category and you can also preview songs.

Speaking of edgy hula. Did anyone ever see Robert Cazimero's halau dance hula to Prince's "7" at the Hawaii Theater a few years ago? The audience went wild. It was so 'out there' and so remarkably creative...definitely something I wish I had a tape or DVD of. And, yes, that one also stirred up some controversy!

Comment

Blessings!
      not too many can handle the traditional, "ancient" or original versions apsects of Polynesian or Hawaiian culture, No one likes original 'tiki", the original hula, old Hawaiian music...
      They gotta have the modern interpretations.
      But., if ya wanna explore deep, Bishop Museum has some oli on cd, recorded back in the 20's and 30's.

Comment

Thank you so much! I would really like to move to Hawai'i. My hubby is a manager fr Wal-Mart and I keep telling him that when an opening comes up to apply! I figure I do property title work and I am a college student...I can find something to do!

I will look into the CDs. I am really open to anything, I figure if I do not like it..oh well, I can put it on Amazon!

Comment

no wait fo one opening, tita.
          fly here and hammah da buggahs. sqweaky wheel get da oil. from wot i hear, da word on da street is, get planny turnover at da sprawlmart oah heah. chance um!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            no wait fo one opening, tita.
            fly here and hammah da buggahs. sqweaky wheel get da oil. from wot i hear, da word on da street is, get planny turnover at da sprawlmart oah heah. chance um!
            Yo...Kimo! You and I love Hawaii but this lady has never even visited! My unsolicited advice is for her and her hubby to do the vacation thingie for as long as possible and check it out. That's a little less expensive than moving over lock, stock and barrell then finding out that paradise was just a figment of one's imagination! Just one tutu's two cents!

Comment

Hey, I am game for either. However, I KNOW that when I get there, the only thing that I will want to do, is call my family and ask them to send my kitties (okay - AFTER we get them properly inocculated for Hawai'i standards - yes, I have done the research!). Oh, these are the times I wish I were single, b/c I have to say, I would have moved there in a heartbeat. In fact, I was busy job searching when I re-connected with my soon to be hubby. So, the energy was in the works!

I know that I will be doing MUCH research there. Some of it will have to be done - LIVE. Maybe I can get a college to pay for it!

In the meantime I will live vicariuosly through the chats, internet books and music. Who knows where my research will take me.

<big sigh>

BTW, Kimo...that is my hubby's name in Hawai'ian.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I am still exploring all of the chat....this is just wonderful!

Comment

BTW, Kimo...that is my hubby's name in Hawai'ian.
                BTW, FLhaole... you don't put an ‘okina in "Hawaiian". It's an English word, not a Hawaiian one.

Welcome to HT.

Comment

Hey, I am game for either.
                  BTW:
                  DID... you know...
                  I was in Florida once, and a friend asked me if i wanted to go hunting. i said
                  "Sure, I'm game!"
                  so he shot me.

BTW: part deux
                  DID... you know...
                  They invented floride in florida. that's where the name comes from.

Comment

BTW:
                    DID... you know...
                    I was in Florida once, and a friend asked me if i wanted to go hunting. i said
                    "Sure, I'm game!"
                    so he shot me.

BTW: part deux
                    DID... you know...

That is SUCH Bullsh#@! Kimo! Prove it! Gimme the facts! I mean really, in your real life are you a Saint? Catholic? @
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      BTW, FLhaole... you don't put an ‘okina in "Hawaiian". It's an English word, not a Hawaiian one.

Welcome to HT.
                      Thanks, I read that last night on another thread. I appreciate the correction. Like I said, I am a novice, but I am also a quick study. (And a bit embarassed at my lack of knowledge of the proper spellings - so any help is appreciated GREATLY!)

Comment

BTW:
                        Well, I will give you Gatorade. Invented at the University of Florida. Hence the name

Comment

Hey, FLHaole, I'm from your neck of the woods!

Comment

Thanks, I read that last night on another thread. I appreciate the correction. Like I said, I am a novice, but I am also a quick study. (And a bit embarassed at my lack of knowledge of the proper spellings - so any help is appreciated GREATLY!)
                            If you want some good spelling references, the ones I use are the Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary and Place Names of Hawaii. They're on the desk next to me as I type this.
                            Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; October 10, 2005, 01:04 PM. Reason: Corrected URLs

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

If you want some good spelling references, the ones I use are the New Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary and Place Names of Hawaii. They're on the desk next to me as I type this.
                              This online resource, generously provided through the hard work and efforts of Keola Donaghy, comes in handy for me as it has the ability to query four different references at once -- Pukui-Elbert Hawaiian Dictionary, Mamaka Kaiao dictionary, Place Names of Hawai'i, and Hawai'i Place Names.

Comment

Working...
                              X