The meek shall inherit the 'aina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The meek shall inherit the 'aina

DLNR Chief says Big Island and Maui conceded to coqui frog infestation.

I had been under the impression that they were getting the problem under control by using hydrated lime and concentrated sprays of caffeine.
    Last edited by lurkah; October 15, 2005, 12:35 PM.

Re: The meek shall inherit the 'aina

I don't know about Maui but the Big Island's County is so inept it's unreal. I mean look at the Hokulia issue...County says, "go ahead and build" Da Judge says, "I don't tink so braddah".

My 18-year old just got his first parking ticket this past week and did the diligent thing by stuffing a check in the prepaid envelope and sending it off the next day. The filled envelope came back a few days later indicating the pre-paid envelope's postage permit had expired and now he's late in paying his penalty.

That's grounds for going to the traffic division and slapping them on the head, "wassamattah you?" Jeez sending out prepaid deliquent postage seems like writing bad checks. I should contest the ticket on the grounds that the County is too inept to handle these kinds of matters.

I just shake my head whenever the County of Hawaii's name appears in the newspapers and its typically about how the County of Hawaii messed up AGAIN!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Speaking of counties, has Kelawao County Kalawao County done anything of note lately? (I mean that Father Damien colony that somehow wound up as its own county on one side of Molokai.)
      Last edited by Rickyrab; October 15, 2005, 06:27 PM. Reason: dang, I spelled the county name wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyrab
        Speaking of counties, has Kelawao County Kalawao County done anything of note lately? (I mean that Father Damien colony that somehow wound up as its own county on one side of Molokai.)
        No, because it's a National Historic site and "owned" by the feds. There are still people living there who were exiled there when they were kids. Out of respect to them, very few outsiders are allowed to go down there.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          I don't know about Maui but the Big Island's County is so inept it's unreal. I mean look at the Hokulia issue...County says, "go ahead and build" Da Judge says, "I don't tink so braddah".

I just shake my head whenever the County of Hawaii's name appears in the newspapers and its typically about how the County of Hawaii messed up AGAIN!
          Heh. If you asked people who voted in a recent Maui News poll that asked readers what kind of report card the County Council and Mayor should receive for their actions over the last year, the answer, Craig, would be that the leadership of Maui County is just as inept as the one on the Big Island.

I think the reason why Maui County people are upset is similar to why other residents of Hawai'i are upset: particularly lack of affordable housing, and high transportation costs (gas historically has always cost more in Maui County than Honolulu). Some residents believe that the Council is controlled by liberal whackos who are putting the environment before the needs of the taxpayers (good case in point: the EIS that the County went to court to try to get the Superferry project to slow down; another case in point: an affordable housing project in Central Maui called Hale Mua that is being slowed down by NIMBYism). The people who rated the County government as failing are the ones who probably would love to see Maui become another Oahu.

Miulang

P.S. Isn't there some sort of popular movement to have Harry Kim run (as a Democrat) against Gov. Lingle next election? That would be an interesting matchup. Isn't/wasn't Harry Kim a Republican when he was elected? Didn't he change party affiliations once before in order to run for Mayor of Hawaii County?
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            No, because it's a National Historic site and "owned" by the feds. There are still people living there who were exiled there when they were kids. Out of respect to them, very few outsiders are allowed to go down there.

Miulang
            Why is it a county if it can't really do anything as a county?

Comment

Heh. If you asked people who voted in a recent Maui News poll that asked readers what kind of report card the County Council and Mayor should receive for their actions over the last year, the answer, Craig, would be that the leadership of Maui County is just as inept as the one on the Big Island.

I think the reason why Maui County people are upset is similar to why other residents of Hawai'i are upset: particularly lack of affordable housing, and high transportation costs (gas historically has always cost more in Maui County than Honolulu). Some residents believe that the Council is controlled by liberal whackos who are putting the environment before the needs of the taxpayers (good case in point: the EIS that the County went to court to try to get the Superferry project to slow down; another case in point: an affordable housing project in Central Maui called Hale Mua that is being slowed down by NIMBYism). The people who rated the County government as failing are the ones who probably would love to see Maui become another Oahu.

Miulang

P.S. Isn't there some sort of popular movement to have Harry Kim run (as a Democrat) against Gov. Lingle next election? That would be an interesting matchup. Isn't/wasn't Harry Kim a Republican when he was elected? Didn't he change party affiliations once before in order to run for Mayor of Hawaii County?
              Quite a few folks in NJ are upset over affordable housing, too (we're the state that had the infamous Mt. Laurel case a few decades ago, when some folks got a court decision handed down saying that all towns in the state had to provide "affordable housing" - and every chunk of land in New Jersey not overseen by some "commission" is in some town or other, so just about everyone in the state is affected by this law, through taxation and/or the need to decide where to put affordable housing. Plenty folks want to avoid paying for schools, so towns want to rule out having to house a lot of kids in "affordable housing". Upshot? Many of the towns designate all their "affordable housing" for senior citizens, or try to dodge the requirement altogether. So Jamesburg has no land available, Bound Brook already has an existing affordable housing stock, Monroe Township naturally designates senior citizens' homes as "affordable", and so on and so forth.
              We're not as upset over transportation costs (which are still a pain in the neck) but we ARE annoyed about heating oil bills (we're not Hawai'i, and it shows, lol).

I doubt that Maui will become another Oahu - worst case scenario is likely that Maui becomes a suburb of Oahu, and I suppose the Superferry debate is really over that. Molokai would be even less inclined than Maui to suburbanize, and Lana'i is out because it's a company town. Kahoolawe is out for obvious reasons. Hawai'i is further away than Maui from Honolulu, and, well, Kauai... I suppose Kauai would have similar NIMBY responses if it were tapped for a Superferry.

Comment

Why is it a county if it can't really do anything as a county?
                It has to do with the fact that the settlement at Kalaupapa was specifically built to house (quarantine) victims of Hansen's disease. At the time of Father Damien, there were no cures (sulfa drugs came later), so the patients were exiled to that forsaken peninsula of Moloka'i. To the residents, it might as well have been another country, nevermind county. The stigma associated with the ravages of Hansen's disease at the time meant that no healthy person wanted to be associated with any of those residents; hence a convenient way to "forget" about them was to create a whole different county.

Miulang

Comment

I doubt that Maui will become another Oahu - worst case scenario is likely that Maui becomes a suburb of Oahu, and I suppose the Superferry debate is really over that. Molokai would be even less inclined than Maui to suburbanize, and Lana'i is out because it's a company town. Kahoolawe is out for obvious reasons. Hawai'i is further away than Maui from Honolulu, and, well, Kauai... I suppose Kauai would have similar NIMBY responses if it were tapped for a Superferry.
                  The Lahaina end of Maui might as well be a suburb of Waikiki. Kahoolawe is out for reasons not obvious to the casual tourist, too. It is sacred land to the kanaka maoli. And Kauai has exactly the same problems with overcrowding that Maui has because Mainland investors have snapped up much of the real estate on both islands.

Miulang

Comment

It has to do with the fact that the settlement at Kalaupapa was specifically built to house (quarantine) victims of Hansen's disease. At the time of Father Damien, there were no cures (sulfa drugs came later), so the patients were exiled to that forsaken peninsula of Moloka'i. To the residents, it might as well have been another country, nevermind county. The stigma associated with the ravages of Hansen's disease at the time meant that no healthy person wanted to be associated with any of those residents; hence a convenient way to "forget" about them was to create a whole different county.

Miulang
                    That wasn't very nice to the inhabitants, was it? Maybe if the inhabitants had the powers of the county they supposedly are, the county would be doing something or other. Other than that, I wouldn't know what to say; I don't know how the economy and taxes of a county consisting of twenty-odd people with Hansen's disease works out. (Even if the disease is factored out of the equation, the county wouldn't be particularly rich, unless the inhabitants were millionaires or something.)

Comment

The Lahaina end of Maui might as well be a suburb of Waikiki. Kahoolawe is out for reasons not obvious to the casual tourist, too. It is sacred land to the kanaka maoli. And Kauai has exactly the same problems with overcrowding that Maui has because Mainland investors have snapped up much of the real estate on both islands.

Miulang
                      Well, of course; Oahu is overcrowded and Maui and Kauai are the next "best" islands for developers (not much chance for lava flows to burn down your condo, closer to Honolulu Airport, etc.) So, of course, there's overcrowding on Maui and Kauai.

How come Kahoolawe is sacred? Wouldn't the Big Island be sacred or something? (after all, the new land is being cranked out on Hawai'i, not Kahoolawe)

Comment

Well, of course; Oahu is overcrowded and Maui and Kauai are the next "best" islands for developers (not much chance for lava flows to burn down your condo, closer to Honolulu Airport, etc.) So, of course, there's overcrowding on Maui and Kauai.

How come Kahoolawe is sacred? Wouldn't the Big Island be sacred or something? (after all, the new land is being cranked out on Hawai'i, not Kahoolawe)
                        Go read about it for yourself if you're so interested. And parts of the Big Island are EXTREMELY sacred. Go find out where, and why for yourself.

Miulang

Comment

That wasn't very nice to the inhabitants, was it? Maybe if the inhabitants had the powers of the county they supposedly are, the county would be doing something or other. Other than that, I wouldn't know what to say; I don't know how the economy and taxes of a county consisting of twenty-odd people with Hansen's disease works out. (Even if the disease is factored out of the equation, the county wouldn't be particularly rich, unless the inhabitants were millionaires or something.)
                          Absolutely not. The Feds have declared Kalaupapa a national historic site. Maui County can't touch it.

Miulang

Comment

Go read about it for yourself if you're so interested. And parts of the Big Island are EXTREMELY sacred. Go find out where, and why for yourself.

Miulang
                            ok, I'll google it.

Comment

Geting back to the coqui frogs..., unless there is a coordinated effort in which all of the coqui are eliminated at once or some sort of coqui "birth control" is developed, we are pretty much stuck with them. Hydrated lime and caffeine sprays are somewhat effective at eliminating them from a particular area; however, the some of the buggahs are smart enough to simply go to an area where spraying is not taking place.
                              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Working...
                              X