Hydrogen as fuel in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrogen as fuel in Hawaii?

Because of Kilauea and Mauna Loa, Hawai'i's Big Island has geothermal energy. Because of Hawai'i's location, it has plenty of seawater in the vicinity. Seawater has hydrogen in it. Hydrogen can be used as fuel for cars, buses, airplanes, etc. The geothermal energy in the land of Pele could be used to distill hydrogen from seawater, and then.... the problem becomes storage and transport of that fuel. hmmm.

Re: Hydrogen as fuel in Hawaii?

Another problem with Geothermal energy is the environmentalist, conservationists, the NIMBY's, and the Hawaiian people. All by the way don't want Puna Geothermal to develop or increase their output for electrical generation.

Same goes for that windfarm in Kahuku? NIMBYism. residents there don't like the image of these windmills obstructing their views of the mountain range. Oh so what about their homes blocking the views from those down range from them?

Once when you THINK you got a good alternative energy solution, there's always somebody who will not want it on the grounds of Not In My Back Yard.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      Another problem with Geothermal energy is the environmentalist, conservationists, the NIMBY's, and the Hawaiian people. All by the way don't want Puna Geothermal to develop or increase their output for electrical generation.

Same goes for that windfarm in Kahuku? NIMBYism. residents there don't like the image of these windmills obstructing their views of the mountain range. Oh so what about their homes blocking the views from those down range from them?

Once when you THINK you got a good alternative energy solution, there's always somebody who will not want it on the grounds of Not In My Back Yard.
      The same is true of everything under the sun. Heck, I'd bet that when the Polynesians came in with palm trees and flowers (if they did), some of the Menehune (if they existed) complained bitterly about their introduction...well, if it was haoles that came in with the trees, no doubt some kanaka somewhere were complaining about the fact (if, indeed, it was a fact).

As for me - I didn't know there was such a thing as a Puna Geothermal, but I did know there was a hydrogen-economy movement - which is, naturally, looking at volcanoes by the sea, in places such as Iceland.

Comment

Here's their website:

http://www.punageothermalventure.com/

and for Hawaii's OTEC program:

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/otec_hi.html
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks. A real eye-opener.

By the way, I remember going to Ka Lae, that windy shore, on account of it being the southernmost point in the 50 States (I later visited the southernmost point on the "mainland" - Key West, FL - but that's another story), and passing a wind farm along the very bumpy road. I think that was the first wind farm I ever saw.

Comment

Working...
          X