New Nordstroms displaces many small businesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nordstroms displaces many small businesses

Everyone knew the day would come when many small businesses on Kapiolani Ave. would be forced to move due to the imminent arrival of the first full blown Nordstroms in Hawai'i.

I really wonder if there will be enough business to support both a Nordstrom and a Macys. At least Macys in Hawai'i has the legacy of Liberty House; Nordy's only has its Rack and Shoestore.

While Nordy's is a Seattle company that has an excellent reputation as a retailer, I'm kinda appalled that they chose to displace all those small businesses who are either forced to relocate somewhere else for much higher rents or to close down entirely. I think they should have built in one of the shopping malls outside town. I wonder if they thought being in the neighborhood of Ala Moana Shopping Center that it would help drive traffic? In the meantime, businesses on the other side of the street from the new store will have all kinds of traffic hassles for the next 2 years.

The only time I can afford to shop at the regular Nordy's is for baby gifts. Shopping for me at Nordy's is usually confined to the Rack (our Racks up here have the shoes in with the clothes).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: New Nordstroms displaces many small businesses

I can't get excited about Nordstrom's. I think more people will still go to the nearby WalMart since they have better prices. Yes, both stores do not compete in the same marketspace, but then what is up with Ala Moana Shopping Center adding in another major high priced retailer? I hear the Neiman Marcus Store at Ala Moana doesn't get that much traffic and about the only thing going for it is their restaurant. But then what do I know? I have never gone to Neiman Marcus and I don't think I'll be going to Nordstrom's when that is completed. I rarely go to Macy's and haven't bought anything there since they changed over from Liberty House.

Years ago one of the proposals for that property was to be a Virgin Entertainment run movie complex. Now that I would have gone to!
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I guess I don't get why it's ok to put in the vile Wal-Mart, which displaces more small businesses that Nordstrom ever could.

I like Nordstrom because they have high quality and an unbelievably excellent return policy. Wal-Mart sells crap. I would rather buy a nice, well cut jacket that will be a better buy in the long run from Nordstrom than a piece of chit that looks, and is shoddy, from Wal-Mart.

Also, I really don't even want to think about what kind of shoes they sell at Wal-Mart.

Comment

And won't nordstroms interrupt business at the clothes next door to Heald? (I walk by that store everyday and I forgot its name, its between Heald College and Kinkos)
        Last edited by adrian; October 16, 2005, 03:53 PM.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I cant stand Walmart but that is for another topic altogether. I understand the Nordstrom's at Ward Warehouse will be closed after only been around for a couple years. Wonder what will be put in its place?

And across the street Ku'aina's, Crazy Shirts, etc. will be moving across the street (near Borders) with a grand opening slated for November 15th. I understand other stores on that block will be moved to the new Ward Gateway Center which is under construction where the old gas station was in the Sports Authority parking lot. What gets me is that those Ward shops, the building itself, cant be more than 7 years old and its going to be torn down already. What a waste! I think Condos will replace it. It seems that is all Honolulu does is build condos these days while the rail project takes forever to get off the ground. I'm not sure what is going to happen to Pier One but they are building one in Kailua as I speak, unless that has fallen thru.

I agree with Mel that it would have been great to have movie theaters at Ala Moana Shopping Center. I mean Ala Moana is one of the only large malls I know of these days that actually does not have a movie theater. It has everything it seems but that movie theater which I think if they put one in it would do great and not do that much damage to the Ward Theaters. It might cut down on traffic during movie premiere's and such. But if this were ever to happen then definitely Dole Cannery Theaters would go out of business, which I have heard rumors that they would have had Regal not purchased them recently.

KalihiBoy

Comment

KITV just did another item this afternoon on the closing of Kapiolani Bakery. Today was their last day. It is on the property slated for the Nordstroms development.

What I miss the most in that area is the old Pioneer Federal Savings Bank, which closed about 10 years ago after being merged into First Hawaiian Bank. I had one of my accounts there and it was a pleasent place to do business. That A shaped building is on the chopping block to make room for the development.

I hope they don't chop down the trees on the side of Kapiolani Blvd.

Anyone want to discuss WalMart the latest thread continues at this link.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
            X