Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I get for my dad on his 66th bday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I get for my dad on his 66th bday?

Yes, my father will be 66 this Saturday, and my Mom is planning a dinner at a restaurant (Sizzlers, or something like that), so I thought I should get him something, but what does a college student give his father?

He's been in the construction biz for 21 years, and we sometimes help him maintain the 3 (4 if you count the one we're living in) houses scattered throughout the leeward side, so he has a lot of tools. He has 2 Ford F150 trucks (one is his work truck, a 1984 truck that needs a new bench seat and its dashboard needs replacing; and the other is a 1997 truck he bought just incase the older truck fails [which it did once]). There's a 90% chance that he won't be attending his own dinner (my mom is planning to invite his only blood relative to it) probably because he's not the social type, and he loves to work in his workshop constantly adding on or improving something to the house.

I have about $40 to spend, and I feel that as the oldest son that can attend his own dinner, I feel obligated to buy him something, but he's like the father who has everything.

Anyone can give me ideas as to what to get him?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What should I get for my dad on his 66th bday?

Well, you're a college student, so I'm sure he isn't expecting a big present from you. Maybe if you got him a nice birthday card and said in the card you would help him do something specific at one of the houses (you know, like mow the lawn or something like that), that that would make him happy.

Most parents only want to know that the sacrifices that they make for their kids pays off with their kids being educated and productive members of society. The 2 best gifts you could give both your parents are 1) graduate from school and 2) get a good job.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

As a mom of three grown children, the most precious gift I recieve, is knowing they are ok, that I did a wonderful job in raising them.

Give a simple gift as a card and write a note to him in "your words" and attach a gift card so he can get something that he wants to his liking. It is not the value of the gift but the thought in which we give from the HEART!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456

Anyone can give me ideas as to what to get him?
        How about giving him a birthday card. And in that card, in your own personal handwriting using your own words, tell him how much you really love and appreciate him and all that he's done for you and your family over the years. Sign the card, and give it to him saying that if he'd like to open and read it later, it would be okay. I'm sure a gift like that would blow away any materialistic things that you could give him.

Comment

Follow the advice given by the last three posts and maybe you can throw in a $25.00 gift card from home Depot.

Comment

I agree wit everybody above, a card with a handwritten sentiment and a gift card to a store where he can buy what he wants. It is the thought that counts and I'm sure whatever you get him he'll like.

I always give WalMart giftcards to my elderly aunts & uncles, so that they can buy what they want since they pretty much have everything and they never like what I buy.
            ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

I agree with the others! How about making your dad a card on the computer and possibly take him out to breakfast or lunch...just the 2 of you? Time is such an important 'gift'.

Comment

When your father starts asking when you'll give him GRANDCHILDREN, then you have to worry.

Until then, what everyone here suggested sounds great.

All my folks ever wanted from me was a bill of good health and that I can pay my own bills.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Okay, not to divert from the subject a bit, but my Mom went out to buy some party stuff (their normal filipino stuff: chicharon, peanuts, etc) but she also bought cheap wine (one of them is orange). My friend says that they're not real wine, and if she went shopping, then she should have brought him along. It'll be served in cheap wine glasses (they're not even glass) but this is normal for our situation (the last time we went this all out, was during my sister's 1st bday, and our cousins took all of Burger King's stock of Pochahontas (sp?) glasses and gave those out as favors.)

I have a lot on my mind lately, so I think I'll either drop the gift idea, or somehow repay him later.

Comment

I am now very depressed, for some reason...

Comment

I think I'm getting an understanding of how your family owns a few rental properties. And, that's not a zinger! Sounds like some frugal living has enabled some good investing. Kudos to your family.

Comment

Take some of the fruitier versions of the wine and mix some complimentry soda pop with em ...say whatever amount of wine add half to a third's worth of pop to it, like the orange flavored one mix with squirt or some tart type soda pop....if the orange one is what we have here (orange-peach mix type) it's not half bad in flavor without alot of alcohol content. Actually not a bad choice for a party where you don't want people to get blotto too quickly.

Pour the mix into spare icecube trays and freeze. You can add them to the wine you pour into glasses so the wine won't get diluted like with regular ice cubes or you can put them into a blender smoosh em up fine and have wine icee/smoothie type things. Make some juice/soda pop versions for the lil kids so they don't feel left out.

Cheer up...yo moms coulda went and got Mad Dog and the Rose.

Comment

Your dad's a tooler? How about a gift card from Home Depot, Sears or Woodcraft?

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                            Your dad's a tooler? How about a gift card from Home Depot, Sears or Woodcraft?
                            He probably can open up his own woodshop or tool store because he practically has every tool to fix or make something related to the house and auto.

I'll just be a good photographer/videographer/DJ I can be at the event on Saturday, and probably I'll whip up a few things.

Comment

Oh man this just out at Home Depot. They are selling a Ridgid 14.4 volt impact drill driver and regular drill driver combo with two batteries and charger for $139, regularly $199.00 Just saw it today.

What makes a 14.4 volt or even a 12 volt cordless driver better than an 18-volt driver is the weight. An 18-volt driver has more weight in the bottom than a lower voltage model. This higher weight means more fatigue when it comes to using the wrist to aim the driver vertically. That's why Makita still makes 12-volt and 9.6-volt cordless tools, they're simply lighter than today's 18-volt monsters.

Other than the pricing, the other great advantage of buying the Ridgid brand at Home Depot is for a limited time, all power tools (except for compressors) are having their 3-year warranty extended to a lifetime warranty!

What's great about this is that this warranty includes THE BATTERIES! Yeah if the batteries fail 10-years from now (and all cordless tool batteries die eventually), these batteries are covered under this warranty, meaning free batteries for as long as you own your Ridgid power tool. That's amazing!

And makes for a great gift too. Impact drivers are fast becoming the drill/driver of choice among craftsmen giving you the ability to drive Tapcon screws effortlessly thru concrete as opposed to standard drill/drivers. It also makes for easy drilling thru thick woodstock too.

But no matter how many tools a man can have, we can never have too much especially if it's a cordless tool combo kit. I got three cordless drills from Ryobi, Black and Decker, and Skill. I love em all.
                              Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 19, 2005, 01:00 AM.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X