PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman's Wharf Closing?

Menehune Man
October 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I heard that the Fisherman's Wharf restaurant is closing or moving. Is this true? Although it's been awhile, I used to go there.

kimo55
October 16th, 2005, 03:05 PM
again, as we cover in the restaurant closing threads; this is one major reason it is closing. People stop patronizing the place.

Rickyrab
October 16th, 2005, 04:15 PM
again, as we cover in the restaurant closing threads; this is one major reason it is closing. People stop patronizing the place.

Huh? What is "one major reason that the restaurant is closing"? Ahh, "people stop patronizing the place". Well, why aren't people patronizing the place? And would you mind linking to the restaurant closing threads?
Your post is negative in my mind, but since I found that someone with a "negative reputation" couldn't contribute to Reputation scores, I'm saying it out in the open.

lavagal
October 16th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Huh? What is "one major reason that the restaurant is closing"? Ahh, "people stop patronizing the place". Well, why aren't people patronizing the place? And would you mind linking to the restaurant closing threads?
Your post is negative in my mind, but since I found that someone with a "negative reputation" couldn't contribute to Reputation scores, I'm saying it out in the open.

Never had a meal there worth remembering. Went maybe twice. While its real estate was quite choice, it's food was mediocre, mediocre, mediocre. With all the new development going on around it, including across the street at Ward Warehouse, the time has come to raze the place.

kimo55
October 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Huh? What is "one major reason that the restaurant is closing"? Ahh, "people stop patronizing the place". Well, why aren't people patronizing the place?

they are choosing to frequent the many multinational/mainland corporate chain restaurants instead, that are innundating our lill island. That is an educated guess and based on feedback.
aside from that, I am not privy to why many others choose no longer to go there.

And would you mind linking to the restaurant closing threads?

yes.

Your post is negative in my mind,

I care not what occurs in your mind

but since I found that someone with a "negative reputation" couldn't contribute to Reputation scores, I'm saying it out in the open.

da hell....?!

mel
October 16th, 2005, 04:35 PM
The closing is probably due in part if not whole on the proposed large scale development for the a major portion of the Kakaako Waterfront arrea that was recently approved by the HCDA.

http://www.hcdaweb.org/index.cfm?section=news13

Also see these stories:

A & B to Develop Kakaako Waterfront (http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2005/09/12/daily39.html)

$650M Kakaako Project Unveiled (http://starbulletin.com/2005/09/15/news/index1.html)

Rickyrab
October 16th, 2005, 04:36 PM
they are choosing to frequent the many multinational/mainland corporate chain restaurants instead, that are innundating our lill island. That is an educated guess and based on feedback.
aside from that, I am not privy to why many others choose no longer to go there.

yes.

I care not what occurs in your mind

da hell....?!

Look at the FAQ...

I apologize. That wasn't very nice, but the solicitation of "negative" scores, without explaining why, on my previous comments got on my nerves. Sometimes, being more articulate about what you mean goes a long way towards facilitating discussion.

kimo55
October 16th, 2005, 04:39 PM
The closing is probably due in part if not whole on the proposed large scale development.... the development is going forward in large part because of the turn of events surrounding the whole area, the restaurant, the plans (and apathy) the owners of the restaurant have, and many other seeminingly disparate but connected events...
Look at the FAQ...

I apologize. That wasn't very nice,
the FAQ wasn't very nice?
huh!?
da hell ya tawkin bout?

Rickyrab
October 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM
the development is going forward in large part because of the turn of events surrounding the whole area, the restaurant, the plans (and apathy) the owners of the restaurant have, and many other seeminingly disparate but connected events...
the FAQ wasn't very nice?
huh!?
da hell ya tawkin bout?

The FAQ explains the reputation system. I wasn't trying to make it an example of "nice" or "not nice"!

Thanks for the explanation.

Pomai
October 16th, 2005, 05:27 PM
All I wanna' know is:

1.) Before or when Fisherman's Wharf closes, who can hook me up with some of the memorabilia from the restaurant. It might be worth lots of money on eBay. :rolleyes:

and

2.) How's their steak and lobster?

:D

pzarquon
October 16th, 2005, 05:31 PM
You know, except for a field trip in elementary school that included the Glass Bottom Boat, I've never set foot inside Fisherman's Wharf. Whatever its target market was, I don't think I was included. It was a landmark for giving directions, but that's about it.

Pomai
October 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Oh also, any ghost stories about Fisherman's Wharf?

It's really old and near a boat harbor. Always a formula for that kinda' stuff. :eek:

Pomai
October 16th, 2005, 05:43 PM
The girls of the group FORTE originally met each other at Fisherman's Wharf in the upstairs Karaoke Lounge.

That's the only trivia I can provide top-of-mind. Heard about that many times in interviews with them. :rolleyes:

tutusue
October 16th, 2005, 10:34 PM
The girls of the group FORTE originally met each other at Fisherman's Wharf in the upstairs Karaoke Lounge.

That's the only trivia I can provide top-of-mind. Heard about that many times in interviews with them. :rolleyes:
That was Al Waterson's gig for years. Eventually it was cut back from 2 nights a week (Fri. & Sat.) to one night as patronage fell off downstairs. Eventually Al relocated to Don Ho's Island Grill where he's remained for about 3 years, hosting a successful singing contest (a la karaoke!) every Sunday night. Al's wife, Nancy, managed Forte and when she's available, helps keep me in line during my casting sessions! And, if I've been a real good girl I sometimes get to judge the contest! ;)

kimo55
October 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
All I wanna' know is:

1.) Before or when Fisherman's Wharf closes, who can hook me up with some of the memorabilia from the restaurant. It might be worth lots of money on eBay.
lazy.
mercenary.

kimo55
October 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM
All I wanna' know is:

2.) How's their steak and lobster?

IF...
you really "wanna' know", go there and learn for yourself.
Otherwise, you really do not "wanna' know".

Rickyrab
October 17th, 2005, 07:04 AM
IF...
you really "wanna' know", go there and learn for yourself.
Otherwise, you really do not "wanna' know".

For some people, it's not that easy. Some of us live hours away... by plane. However, the person who made the original comment should be within striking distance of the restaurant, if it is in Honolulu.

Pomai
October 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I pass F.W. everyday driving to and from work. Totally accessible. But after hearing the stories here, at this point it might not be worth finding out myself.

Kimo, thanks for calling me a lazy mercenary. I don't care what you say, I still love you man. :)

Sheesh. Can't a guy joke around a bit? :D

Been checking the papers and watching news last night. Not one mention about Fisherman's Wharf.

The A&B Kaka'ako Redevelopment Project, along with slow business, As Kimo mentioned, are the most logical speculation of why they would close.

tutusue
October 17th, 2005, 09:01 AM
[...]
The A&B Kaka'ako Redevelopment Project, along with slow business, As Kimo mentioned, are the most logical speculation of why they would close.
Like La Mariana Sailing Club, FW, afaik, was never known for the high quality of it's cuisine! I remember hearing the word 'adequate' used a lot. While FW had a charm of it's own and a convenient location, LMSC has/had FW's ambiance beat, hands down!

kimo55
October 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Kimo, thanks for calling me a lazy mercenary. I don't care what you say, I still love you man.
me too.
'twas da maitais yellin...

wait... you just want my Budweiser, doncha!

Linkmeister
October 17th, 2005, 09:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, FW was once one of the Spencecliff group of restaurants. When Dad worked at BOH downtown, Mom at Bishop Museum, and I at Honolulu Club, we'd eat there once a year or so. Pretty pedestrian food.

Pomai
October 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Like La Mariana Sailing Club, FW, afaik, was never known for the high quality of it's cuisine! I remember hearing the word 'adequate' used a lot. While FW had a charm of it's own and a convenient location, LMSC has/had FW's ambiance beat, hands down!

Did La Mariana Sailing Club close?

Been there once about 2 years ago after reading a story about them in the paper. A hidden gem tucked in an industrial backroad behind Sand Island. Lot's of old Hawaii Kitsch. Old-timer Piano player. Our food was FANTASTIC. We had their grilled Ono and Monchong. AWESOME Artichoke and Crab dip. We sat outside, where you could peak between the mangroves at Sand Island Boat Harbor. Very charming. 3-4 star quality dining experience all the way. :rolleyes:

Was thinkin' about all these landmark restaurants closing. The new Kaka'ako waterfront should have a theme area called Hawaii's trip to Memory Lane. A waterfront strip with revival restaurants all in one cluster. Imagine if you could choose from a resurrected Tahitian Lanai, Canalis, Fisherman's Wharf and La Mariana Sail Club (just to name a few suggestions) all within one linear quarter-mile of waterfront space... how delicious would that be!

Kaka'ako planners, are you listening?

kimo55
October 17th, 2005, 10:45 AM
no money in it. planners only want large corporate chain restaurants here.
damn them.

kimo55
October 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM

the rumors of their demise are greatly exaggerated.
We go there alot.

LikaNui
October 17th, 2005, 10:53 AM
NO, it didn't!!!
Thank goodness.
:)

Pomai
October 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
NO, it didn't!!!
Thank goodness.
:)

Amen!

If a tourist stopped and asked me what restaurant I'd recommend that was out of town and fantastic, that's the FIRST PLACE I'd recommend, hands down. :)

Next would be Roy's or Blu Water Grill in Hawaii Kai. :rolleyes:

kimo55
October 17th, 2005, 11:16 AM
not da shack a few yards mauka of blu waddah!?

D'Alani
October 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Back in 60's I remember that the I had a very good bouillabaisse, was about $6.00 or so, quite a bit of money at the time.

tutusue
October 17th, 2005, 07:29 PM
[...]?
As others have mentioned...NO! Thank goodness. LMSC is my absolute favorite spot on the island. I can't high 5 the food (it's average at best) but I really don't care. The place is just so...wonderful. That's what I want my condo to look like but that's another thread...eventually!

SouthKona
October 17th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Around '75 they used to serve a wonderful halved avocado, stuffed with crab meat, and broiled with a crusty topping. But, their menu and quality changed, and I must admit I probalby haven't been back for 25 years.

It was gooooooood. In 1975. ;)

Menehune Man
October 17th, 2005, 11:23 PM
They (the restaurant) brought on it's own demise as far as losing "us" locals. The quality of the dishes really did go down. The last time I went, I took both my wife and mother and none of us were impressed. I had been going there since I was a kid. And the food was really great. People don't mind spending alittle more for atmosphere as long as the food is a cut above.

kimo55
October 17th, 2005, 11:27 PM
well that sounds like a real generalisation.
here's another. generally, many people i talk with find the L.M. fare is just adequate, almost truck stop. BUT... the atmosphere, thradition, and company, (our ohana...) compensate.

Menehune Man
October 18th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Kimo I am so tired of you only finding negative stuff to say about anything I write on any topic. So just shut the _-_-_-_ up already and leave me alone. It's not humorous, it's not educational, it's just condesending, confrontational drivel. Enough already.

jdub
October 18th, 2005, 12:25 AM
i'll be sorry to see fisherman's wharf go, because that is where i found my kick ass drummer...i was in there with a group of friends for my friend's birthday (she wanted to dance), and there was a house/jazz ensemble playing...2 saxes, 1 acoustic guitar, a deejay spinning grooves and a bad-ass drummer wailing on a full kit equipped with a variety of world music percussion...

after several cocktails and during the band's set break, i introduced myself, told him about my band needing a drummer, and the rest is honolulu irish pub rock history...

i also interviewed the girl band "Forte" there...Nancy Bernal was their manager, and she and her husband al waterson ran the karaoke night there for years...he ended up in my article for Go! Magazine as ed bernal...a silly mistake on my part, but now i have a name if i ever go back to playing punk rock: "Ed Bernal's Revenge"

i've eatent there a bunch of times with my family, usually entertaining out-of-town guests...i like that it's dark in there, and there's something about wood that makes an establishment more appealing to me...

RIP Fisherman's Wharf!

kimo55
October 18th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Kimo I am so tired.... leave me alone. Enough already.
ok, dude. will try...

AbsolutChaos
October 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Does anybody know when exactly it's closing yet?

I've never been because I heard negative things about the food from trusted friends. (When given the choice between a place with excellent food but bad/ok ambience or a place with excellent ambience but only ok food, I prefer the excellent food place every time, but that's just me.) However, I'd like to check out their evening Living Room event one of these days before the restaurant is gone forever...

4vkm361
October 27th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I frequent LR on Saturday evenings for their evening SpeakEasy parties, and yes, it is going to close, but not for at least another year. I have never eaten there (have not heard good things about the restaurant), but love Saturday nites there. They bring down talented djs from all over the world (US, Japan, Australia, etc), and have great resident djs. This is where you house heads can come party it up till 4 in the morning.

I usually hit it after midnight, and it usually starts pumping about 2am when people have closed out other clubs. I don't have the dj names on me now, but Oct 29 there is a guest dj, as well as Nov 12 when there will be one from Japan.

I highly recommend checking it out on a Sat night if you like house music...ever since Buddha Bar closed, this is the newfound hotspot. It's easy to access, always has parking before 1am, and you can dress down (casual jeans, tshirt, sneakers) or dress up (suit or glitzy glam), but we typically go in sexy hip casual wear.

The crowd varies weekend to weekend, but everyone is generally hip/cool/easygoing/sexy, ages vary from 21-whatever, and the staff is frickin' awesome.

4vkm361
October 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I frequent LR on Saturday evenings for their evening SpeakEasy parties, and yes, it is going to close, but not for at least another year. I have never eaten there (have not heard good things about the restaurant), but love Saturday nites there. They bring down talented djs from all over the world (US, Japan, Australia, etc), and have great resident djs. This is where you house heads can come party it up till 4 in the morning.

I usually hit it after midnight, and it usually starts pumping about 2am when people have closed out other clubs. I don't have the dj names on me now, but Oct 29 there is a guest dj, as well as Nov 12 when there will be one from Japan.

I highly recommend checking it out on a Sat night if you like house music...ever since Buddha Bar closed, this is the newfound hotspot. It's easy to access, always has parking before 1am, and you can dress down (casual jeans, tshirt, sneakers) or dress up (suit or glitzy glam), but we typically go in sexy hip casual wear.

The crowd varies weekend to weekend, but everyone is generally hip/cool/easygoing/sexy, ages vary from 21-whatever, and the staff is frickin' awesome.