No announcement yet.

Michelle Wie Disqualified from SamSung!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelle Wie Disqualified from SamSung!

Argh! It's true.

From AP:

Michelle Wie's pro debut made her look like an amateur Sunday when she was disqualified for taking a bad drop from the bushes in the third round of the Samsung World Championship. Talk about a rude welcome to the professional world.

Wie hit a 5-wood into a Gold Lantana bush Saturday and was barely able to find it. She told Grace Park she was taking an unplayable lie, dropped away from the bush for a one-stroke penalty, then chipped to 15 feet and made the par. It was a critical par save, and Wie went on to a 71.

Check it out here and comments are welcome.
    Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
    Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
    WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
    Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Re: Michelle Wie Disqualified from SamSung!

Well, she's a newbie, give her time, hopefully she'll be better at this.

Comment

Probably the worst thing about it is that someone with prior knowledge could have informed officials before she signed her scorecard on Saturday, thereby preventing a DQ.
      Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
      Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
      WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
      Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Comment

What bothers me is that a journalist -- with full knowledge of the incident and with a lot of time to get it straightened out -- waited until there was no time for recourse -- and THEN put forth his case to crush Michelle's debut.

Some might say that it's not a journalist's responsibility to police such things and that Bamburg didn't have to let PGA officials know about his concerns at the time of the incident. But if that's the case, then why do it long after the fact?

Sure makes it look like Bamburg did it with the calculated intent to create a controversy. He waited until it was too late for Michelle to extricate herself from the situation. If he felt the drop was improper, he had a lot of time to inform a course marshall so that the right action would be taken before Michelle had a chance to sign an incorrect score card. Instead he sat on it until it was too late. And it turned what could have been a wonderful experience into one that most would prefer to forget.

Comment

She's a pro now. She's got to be able to take these things. I wish her the best in her next effort.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            She's a pro now. She's got to be able to take these things. I wish her the best in her next effort.
            If this is the worst thing to happen to her during her pro career she'll be lucky. Still...BUMMERS! She was off to such a good start. Regardless, she has one heck of a career to look forward to. What a remarkable young lady.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992
              What bothers me is that a journalist -- with full knowledge of the incident and with a lot of time to get it straightened out -- waited until there was no time for recourse -- and THEN put forth his case to crush Michelle's debut.

Some might say that it's not a journalist's responsibility to police such things and that Bamburg didn't have to let PGA officials know about his concerns at the time of the incident. But if that's the case, then why do it long after the fact?

Sure makes it look like Bamburg did it with the calculated intent to create a controversy. He waited until it was too late for Michelle to extricate herself from the situation. If he felt the drop was improper, he had a lot of time to inform a course marshall so that the right action would be taken before Michelle had a chance to sign an incorrect score card. Instead he sat on it until it was too late. And it turned what could have been a wonderful experience into one that most would prefer to forget.

Bothers me too that he waited unitl there was no recourse and then said something! If he had any questions, he should've brought it up at that time.....gunnfunnit!

Here's another article that came out this morning on the incident. I'm sure there'll be more throughout the days to come.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPSports/Other

It would be best to play it safe and call a rules official. I know when my husband competes and he has any questions whatsoever, he always calls a rules official.....no matter if he has to hold up the game a bit.
              Last edited by EastCoastTropics; October 17, 2005, 01:07 AM.
              Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by talkstinkDotCom
                Argh! It's true.
                Yeah, whatever. WTF is your avatar? Looks like something a 12-year-old kid would thing was way cool. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting it. If so, I apologize. If not ... Jeezus, grow the fuck up.

Comment

As we in Hawaii say ....."Make A" Ms. Wie
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

I wanted to ask how often adverse rules actions like this are taken, as it sure seems unusual, especially at this level... but then I realized, it's not like having a 16-year-old in contention is common, either. Increased scrutiny and limited experience can make for some pretty crushing calls. She seems to have a good handle on what happened, though, and yes... from now on, when in doubt, have a rules official on hand.

I wonder how Annika Sorenstam feels about her big win being eclipsed by Wie's big D? I mean, I imagine anyone's win would've been eclipsed by Wie's finish anywhere in the top five, but... this story turned out to be a doozy!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      I wanted to ask how often adverse rules actions like this are taken, as it sure seems unusual, especially at this level... but then I realized, it's not like having a 16-year-old in contention is common, either. Increased scrutiny and limited experience can make for some pretty crushing calls. She seems to have a good handle on what happened, though, and yes... from now on, when in doubt, have a rules official on hand.

I wonder how Annika Sorenstam feels about her big win being eclipsed by Wie's big D? I mean, I imagine anyone's win would've been eclipsed by Wie's finish anywhere in the top five, but... this story turned out to be a doozy!
                      word, yo...the big wiesey's got the golf world by the short and curlies for most of the foreseeable future...her pro debut was bound to be auspicious, and the fact that it turned out to be otherwise unusual with her DQ is not something that surprises me...with all of the talk of her turning pro and signing with nike and sony for unholy sums of money makes the fact that she didn't make a dime in her pro debut most fascinating...
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

It's not entirely uncommon. Roberto DeVicenzo once DQ'ed from the US Open for signing an incorrect scorecard, and he'd been a pro for 10-15 years.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

P&P (Perry & Price) just ran a radio interview with Mark Rolfing, the golf announcer that did the color for NBC on the day of the incident and yesterday. Mr. Rolfing says that he feels that since the Sports Illustrated reporter felt that Michelle Wie had dropped her ball incorrectly he should have immediately called an official and reported it. P&P think that maybe for whatever reason Michael Bamberger wanted to "stick it" to her!
                          Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                            Yeah, whatever. WTF is your avatar? Looks like something a 12-year-old kid would thing was way cool. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting it. If so, I apologize. If not ... Jeezus, grow the fuck up.
                            It's a chimp giving a kitty tubbies in a sink.....the next question is, where's the next gif where it shows kitty going buzzsaw on the chimp?

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe
                              It's a chimp giving a kitty tubbies in a sink.....the next question is, where's the next gif where it shows kitty going buzzsaw on the chimp?
                              Thanks for the explanation. It looked really weird to me until you pointed that out. I won't even say what it looked like!

Further proof I should avoid HT at 1:30 a.m. when I'm tired and cranky ...

I apologize for being rude, TalkStinkDotCom.

Comment

Working...
                              X