Today in History...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in History...

Post some interesting facts from each corresponding date in history.

Oct. 18, 1851 - Herman Melville's "Moby Dick" is first published as "The Whale".
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Today in History...

October 18, 1912
    The first Balkan War broke out.

And the whole planet has been a mess every day, ever since.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

October 18, 1926:

Chuck Berry is born.

Comment

Off topic, sort of. Sadly, I lived in St. Louis (home of Chuck Berry) for the last 25 years minus about 5 I spent away. He plays about twice a month at Blueberry Hill (if you ever visit the STL, go there - watch a band - it's worth it) on Wednesdays. I never went to see him. How sad is that? I think I'll try to catch him when I go back for Christmas. Rollover Beethoven.
        Stephen

Comment

Oct. 19, 1985
          The first "Blockbuster Video" stores opens in Dallas, Texas.

Comment

On October 20, 1803, the Senate ratified the Louisiana Purchase Treaty by a vote of twenty-four to seven. The agreement, which provided for the purchase of the western half of the Mississippi River basin from France at a price of less than three cents per acre, doubled the size of the country and paved the way for westward expansion beyond the Mississippi.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
              Off topic, sort of. Sadly, I lived in St. Louis (home of Chuck Berry) for the last 25 years minus about 5 I spent away. He plays about twice a month at Blueberry Hill (if you ever visit the STL, go there - watch a band - it's worth it) on Wednesdays. I never went to see him. How sad is that? I think I'll try to catch him when I go back for Christmas. Rollover Beethoven.
              Stephen
              We were lucky enough to see him at the Puyallup Fair a some years ago. There he was, in his seventies and the crowd went wild. He had everyone dancing, kids onstage, it was fabulous.

Comment

On October 20, 1568, the expedition of Álvaro de Mendaña de Neyra discovered "a low barren island, judged to be eight leagues in circumference," to which he gave the name of "San Francisco.” The British visited it in 1796 and named it after Captain William Wake (now known as "Wake Island").

Comment

Oct. 20, 1977

A plane carrying the southern rock band "Lynyrd Skynyrd" crashes in Mississippi, killing several band members, including Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines. My favorite Skynyrd song is "Simple Man".

Comment

Oct. 21, 1492

Christopher Columbus makes landfall at the San Salvador Islands.

Comment

October 21, 1797
                      U.S. Navy frigate Constitution, Old Ironsides, launched in Boston.

October 21, 1945
                      Women in France allowed to vote for 1st time

October 21, 1957
                      Jailhouse Rock starring Elvis Presley opens
                      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Oct.22, 1844

The Millerites and members of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church were greatly disappointed that Jesus didn't return as predicted by Preacher William Miller. I'm glad He didn't come back then and besides don't they know it's next week Tuesday? Only joking!

Comment

Nov. 24th, 1859

"The Origin of Species" by British naturalist Charles Darwin was first published, and immediately sold out it's initial print run.

Gotta love those (fiction) novels. HaHa!

Comment

I'm suffering from a mild hang over my back hurts from playing golf and I am here at work maybe that won't be in history books but that's how I feel. Happy Thanks Giving Buddy!
                            A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                              Oct. 20, 1977

A plane carrying the southern rock band "Lynyrd Skynyrd" crashes in Mississippi, killing several band members, including Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gaines. My favorite Skynyrd song is "Simple Man".
                              Mine is "Sweet Home Alabama".

Comment

Working...
                              X