Names & Nicknames in the Ohana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names & Nicknames in the Ohana

This was a fun and interesting discussion we had over lunch today.

There's a time and place for everything, including the use of names and nicknames you use for your girlfriend, boyfriend, husband or wife. In private, a wife may call her husband "honey", "babe", "snookie" or "muffin cakes". Yet in public she'll call him by his first name, "Mike". If the kids are around, she may call him "daddy" or "papa".

Same thing applies towards children. In the privacy of home, parents may call their children "keedz" or "hurricanes". But in public they'll simply call them by their first names, "Mikey" and "Sally".

Cultural background usually plays a large part in how titles are used as well. Filipinos commonly refer to their father as "tatay" and grandmother as "lola". Japanese refer their mother as "okaasan" and grandfather as "ojiisan". Yet some families will even abbreviate or modify those terms. Like in Tagalog they'll say "La" instead of Lola, or locals will say "JiiJii" instead of Ojiisan.

What name/nickname do you address your significant other and/or family members in public and/or private?

*If refering to actual proper names, for the sake of privacy you can just say "First Name/nickname" or "Last Name". Also, keep the lovers' "nicknames" rated "G".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me and my siblings refered to our late grandmother (mother's side) as "Mama". Late grandmother (father's side) as "Granny". Mom is "mom". Dad is "dad". My nieces and nephews all refer to my mother as "Tutu".

Girlfriend and I refer to each other as "hon" (short for "honey"). But if we're around family or in public, out of respect we call each other on a "First Name" basis.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Names & Nicknames in the Ohana

I call my 81 yr.old MAMA.

My late husband "Boy"

In front of my growing kids, "Dad"

My ex-boyfriend...Sweetie

When we broked-up, SOB, jackass, MethMouth, Loser, etc.

Me: Dumb, Pupule, Nuts, you know the rest.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In private, my sweetie is "The Beastmaster." No, wait, that's what I am in private. Um ...

Seriously ... my nickname in my family is "Nanny." Nobody outside my family ever called me that.
      But I like "Maddy" (or Maddie) on HT! (thanks to Lavagal)

My ex-husband called and still calls me Pokey, but because when I first moved here we were walking on the beach and I was lagging behind. One might say I was grooving on it all.

Comment

My dad was the master of nicknaming. I don't think he ever called anyone by his/her given name. His immediate family nicknames were...
        me: Poosie, eventually shortened to Poos (don't ask 'cuz I dunno!)
        my brother: beanie bag, eventually shortened to Beans
        my oldest daughter: Princess Grace
        my youngest daughter: Totie Fields
        ...then there's...
        cousin #1: Topper
        cousin #2: Corky
        friend Nancy: Nan, Nan Tomato Can
        friend Janice: Jan, Jan Tomato Can
        ad infinitum!!!

I called him Poppo, sometimes shortened to Pop! He was quite a guy.

Comment

I call my best friend Boo or Butthead, depending on his mood. Yes, his, not mine!

Comment

My husband calls me "hun" no matter if in private/public/in front of the kids, whatever. Everyone else calls me either by my English or Hawaiian name.

pax

Comment

A little girl I knew was known as "StinkerBabe." It wasn't till she graduated from High School dat I learned her given name was "Ethel" and she preffered Stinkerbabe over Ethel.
              ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                me: Poosie, eventually shortened to Poos (don't ask 'cuz I dunno!).
                Too easy! You were obviously originally called "Susie Poosie," later shortened to just "Poosie," then finally, just "Poos." Gotta be!
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Susie, "Poosie", "Poos".

Hmmm. This brings to mind how some of us get our nicknames from young children still learning to talk. You know, "baby talk".

A young sibling may call she or he's older brother "Babba". Not his name at all, but that's what baby called him and it stuck. Everyone's called the older brother "Babba" ever since.

When one of my nephews was learning to talk, he used to call me "Unko Unko Fiku". Never knew where he got it from, but it never stuck, thank goodness.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    Susie, "Poosie", "Poos". [...]
                    That's probably it. I grew up with that nickname and never thought to question it as my dad and 2 close family friends were the only ones who used it. Those 2 are the only still living family friends and they still call me Poos! It's always been a term of endearment to me but would be meaningless coming from anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                    X