Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you start drinking?

Alcohol, not the regular drinking.

I never started, because I'm underage, but I won't even think about doing it, because I know what it could do to you (from seeing family/friends and on the news).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: When did you start drinking?

Ok, if you must know. Eighteen.

Once a month drinker.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; October 23, 2005, 12:27 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

dad gave me a drink of primo when i was twelve.
      "here son, this'll put lead in yer pencil"
      from then on, I was hooked. on Koolaid.
      Couldn't imagine anyone wanting something so bitter..
      Then later, at age 16 or so, since the drinking age in Hawaii was 18, was sucken em up no problem.

Comment

Am a for real alcoholic....started drinking before I was 11 years old. Been sober over 12 years.

Comment

first beer at about 9 then a weekend drinker by 14 and on through high school still drink, still enjoy it and.........my liver checks out fine. Must be those Irish genes

Comment

damn. 11....
            beat me by one year.
            been sober for 3 days.
            i make sure i get a buzz on a couple times a week. make sure it dun get in the way of work.

Comment

I drank a single St. Pauli Girl beer way back when...more years ago than I will admit to, when I was about Adrian's age...and soon after consuming it, I upchucked it. I thought to myself what's the fun in this? I haven't consumed anything alcoholic since then and vowed to myself that I never will again. And I haven't. Strongest thing I drink now is Coca-Cola.

Comment

"When did you start drinking?"

About 7 p.m.
                Just got home at about 3:05 a.m.

But I gave myself a buffer of a couple of hours before getting behind the wheel, and most of the time I wasn't drinking. I was at the Gridiron show at the Diamondhead Theater. Not drinking most of the time, just enjoying the show. A couple of glasses of wine, then some water before driving home.

Great party, though!

As far as when I was younger ... I guess I had a few beers and such at parties when I was 12, 13 years old, then hit it harder in high school. Hard liquor in high school. The usual stuff kids do. <shrug>

But ... I wouldn't want *my* kids to do it. I don't have kids, but for those here who do, I don't mean to downplay the scary aspect of being a parent of a teen experimenting with alcohol or other drugs. I think that would probably really freak me out, if I were a parent. Now that I'm an adult ... I don't know, it just ... I try to put myself in my friends' places, those who have teenagers, and I just don't know how they deal with it.

My attitude toward alcohol was pretty casual when I was a teenager. Well, duh. We had a lot of other drugs to think about, too, and alcohol was the least of them. But I can also see that now, as a 44-year-old, even though I don't have kids, I worry about my friends' and coworkers' kids "experimenting" with alcohol and other drugs. When I was that young, it seemed fine, no big deal, but now I look at my friends' kids, teenagers, and they seem so ... I don't know, I don't want them to be wrecked by drugs and alcohol. Every time a kid gets drunk, she loses a shitload of brain cells and risks getting into sexual situations that can and probably will affect her forever, whether emotionally or because of catching some disease or virus.

Parents raise their children with so much love and caring, and then the kid turns 13 or 15 or whatever and thinks, I know what I'm doing, and gets drunk, and has sex or gets behind the wheel or God knows what and I guess I'm babbling now, but it worries me. Once you damage parts of your brain, they're gone forever. I worry about other people's kids too much, I guess. But they seem too willing to destroy their brain cells, and I don't mean that as a metaphor. I mean, destroying brain cells with ecstasy and ... Oh, OK, I'll shut up now. Sorry for my late-night rambling.

Any parents care to chime in?

Comment

I applaud you for telling the truth up front, no BS. The truth stings and hurts. My soldiers were no Angels. I thought they were...they weren't. The stories, I hear from them...what they did growing up -- makes mine look tame. Yes, parents can LOVE them, talk to them and do what we think will get into their brains. Some of it will. Not all.

Teenagers will be teenagers.

God watch over them, God bless them as he has bless us too!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

18 for me--I officially waited until college to do the typical drinking thing and Ihave the usual strange colege drinking college to tell now. :-)

Comment

I started partying young, but that was the ethic. Grew up around a lot of blue-collar alcoholism. I still deal with it in my home as my husband is quite the blue-collar alcoholic. I grew up and got over it by my early twenties. Maybe two/three times a year I will have a glass of wine in social situations, but I can't stand not being in control of my mind/body/actions and I drink more water daily than anyone I know.

As for living with an alcoholic, the best lessons I learned are al-anon based. Get on with my life. Accept that he is going to be what he chooses to be and make deliberate, progressive boundaries for myself and my kids. And then keep focused on--and striving for--the bright side.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        damn. 11....
                        beat me by one year.
                        been sober for 3 days.
                        i make sure i get a buzz on a couple times a week. make sure it dun get in the way of work.
                        *LOL* @ been sober for three days !!

Tooooo funny.

Comment

29!

I grew up in a time and an area where drinking alcohol was the worst, most rebellious thing a teen could do. There was one kid in high school who smoked pot, rode a Harley and had a tattoo! He was so ostracized that whenever we saw him in the hallway between classes, we'd turn and use another hallway!!! How times have changed!

I remember going to parties and seeing a few kids drinking then getting sick. Like Surfingfarmboy, I didn't see that as having fun...at all! Jeez, why would anyone intentionally make themselves sick?

So, at the ripe ol' age of 29, newly single and back in the dating world, I decided I'd try one glass of wine to see if I could be a social drinker without making a fool of myself. That was 32 years ago and I've never gone past my 2 drinks in one night limit! Well, once I had 2 1/2 glasses of wine and I lost the next day to a king size headache. Nothing is worth losing a day, afaic, 'cuz we can never get it back.

High 5 to you, Adrian.

Comment

I hated the taste of beer when I was younger!! I did not drink much at parties. One day I had a beer and loved it! ??? I have a job that takes me away from bars and booze all together for months at a time. I kina miss it but not that bad. I do LOVE BEER!!!!!!!!!!! I drink beer!!! I am IRISH!!!!!! I LOVE BEER!!!!! I LOVE WINE!!!!!!!!!!! I work out and drink lots of water!!! I no longer drink soda. I used to drink 7-11 double gulps of coke. No Mas!!

Soda is FAR WORSE for you than beer and wine (in moderation) Not to say that drinking 64 oz of wine is good for you but the sugar content in soda is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!

Drink up and live a little. DON'T drive drunk and be an adult and do it right.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

When I was a kid, right before my freshman year at the Catholic high school I went to, I had to help the family by cutting lawns all over the neighborhood. I think I paid for my own tuition that year. My dad didn't work that whole summer because of imaginary back problems and more than certain mental problems. I'd finish up and he'd give me a Rolling Rock pony to drink, a little 8-ounce green bottle of beer. I thought that was kinda fun. For nostalgia's sake, I had a Rolling Rock somewhere, I don't know if it was here or when I was visiting family in New Jersey, but that was one freakin' hangover. Never again will I drink Rotting Rock.

I like wine, red in the winter, cold and refreshing whites in the summer, sparkling any time, especially at family parties. I also like mojitos. And I used to drink Bloody Marys like crazy. I am an expert at making them.

I like to be sure the kids are bathed and tucked in before I imbibe, it's just my way of being sure all the day's duties are taken care of before I let my hair down and dance on the kitchen counters or the washer and dryer like a wild woman.
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X