This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filipinos trying to be Hawaiian

The thread entitled 'What is Hawaiian to you"got me thinking.I've heard from my Hawaiian inlaw's that Filipino's are particularly known for trying to pass themselves off as Hawaiian,why?Here on the mainland they often try to claim latin or pacific islander status,seems to be anything but what they are,Asian. In my opinion it comes down to pride and education.Don't Filipino parents teach the kids of their achievements here in this country.The fact that they are the oldest Asian Americans,they have been comming since the 1600's or that they are the only Asians to found a major city,ST. MALLO'S which has now grown into New Orleans.Or how about socialy ,Filipinos tend to fit in easier in the majority Anglo/latin communitties due to cultural/physical appearance.On a more shallow level don't they know that most ,at least here on the mainland consider them to be an atractive people.It's sad really.
    please excuse my spelling.

Re: Filipino's trying to be Hawaiian

That's an interesting observation but I don't feel Filipinos are TRYING to pass themselves off as Hawaiian, they simply assimilate better than most others living in predominately Hawaiian communities. Here on the Big Island the Filipino population is fairly large which surprized me when I moved here (my ignorance) but when I realized their part in the early days of plantation life here I shouldn't have been that surprized. They have been here a very long time indeed.

But to stereotype a bit when you see a Toyota pickup truck with tall and skinny all terrain tires with the bed removed and a flatbed installed with a cage bolted near the cab on the bed chances are the driver is a Filipino pig hunter.

Filipinos are hard workers and if there's any one ethnicity that deserves to be called Hawaiian in heart...that should be them, they understand the value of hard work and have a love for life and family. For me being Japanese, the values taught me was simply...Don't ask, don't bother. In other words: Stick you head in the sand and be ignorant. That's why I don't celebrate being Japanese...I think our ethnicity is a pretty stuck up one.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by alice
      The thread entitled 'What is Hawaiian to you"got me thinking.I've heard from my Hawaiian inlaw's that Filipino's are particularly known for trying to pass themselves off as Hawaiian,why?[...]
      I don't know the answer to your question but here's a bit of a twist on the subject.

When I'm hired by mainland producers to cast national TV commercials that require 'Hawaiians'; commercials that are created and written by mainland art directors and copywriters...almost always Filipinos (or a Filipino mix) are hired, esp. the beautiful, young Filipino women. For decades this has been the case. So, at least from the mainland advertising community's point of view, Filipino and Hawaiian are interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        That's an interesting observation but I don't feel Filipinos are TRYING to pass themselves off as Hawaiian, they simply assimilate better than most others living in predominately Hawaiian communities. Here on the Big Island the Filipino population is fairly large which surprized me when I moved here (my ignorance) but when I realized their part in the early days of plantation life here I shouldn't have been that surprized. They have been here a very long time indeed.

But to stereotype a bit when you see a Toyota pickup truck with tall and skinny all terrain tires with the bed removed and a flatbed installed with a cage bolted near the cab on the bed chances are the driver is a Filipino pig hunter.

Just switch the pig for deer or turkey and they sound like half the guys I grew up with LOL.

Filipinos are hard workers and if there's any one ethnicity that deserves to be called Hawaiian in heart...that should be them, they understand the value of hard work and have a love for life and family.

This sounds like most of the filipinos I've known.They seem to be able to fit in and adapt well to most places/people,very easygoing.I' met filipinos from New York to Nevada.

For me being Japanese, the
        values taught me was simply...Don't ask, don't bother. In other words: Stick you head in the sand and be ignorant. That's why I don't celebrate being Japanese...I think our ethnicity is a pretty stuck up one.
        Don't be so hard on yourself.Most of the Japanese seemed nice enough.While in Hawaii I did meet a couple of half Japanese guys that were pretty hot.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          When I'm hired by mainland producers to cast national TV commercials that require 'Hawaiians'; commercials that are created and written by mainland art directors and copywriters...almost always Filipinos (or a Filipino mix) are hired, esp. the beautiful, young Filipino women. For decades this has been the case. So, at least from the mainland advertising community's point of view, Filipino and Hawaiian are interchangeable.
          Which explains why the mainstream media, when reporting on local Filipina celebs like Tia Carrere or Angie Baraquio or Jasmine Trias, call them "Hawaiian" as often than they're called Filipino.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            That's an interesting observation but I don't feel Filipinos are TRYING to pass themselves off as Hawaiian, they simply assimilate better than most others living in predominately Hawaiian communities.
            I agree. Filipinos don't try to pass themselves of as Hawaiian in Hawaii because they know they could get caught.

It is a definite phenomenon on the Mainland, particularly California. The west coasts Hula halaus are full of Filipinos. Anyone been to the various Hawaiian themed festivals will see uku planny filipinos. The cars in LA and SF with Hawaiian bumper stickers and kukui nut leis on the mirrors are usually filipino. These are mostly Filipinos who have never even lived in Hawaii.

Filipinos in Hawaii do tend to be Filipino/Spanish when in Hawaii. The Spanish in my opinion in order to be "Hapa" which they see as an improvement for some reason.

The same Filipino in the mainland will say they are Hawaiian/Filipino, usually in that order. As darker skinned Asians, I just think they like associating themselves with Hawaii. Its easy to fool most if not all mainlanders anyway since they've never seen a Hawaiian.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
              I agree. Filipinos don't try to pass themselves of as Hawaiian in Hawaii because they know they could get caught.

It is a definite phenomenon on the Mainland, particularly California. The west coasts Hula halaus are full of Filipinos. Anyone been to the various Hawaiian themed festivals will see uku planny filipinos. The cars in LA and SF with Hawaiian bumper stickers and kukui nut leis on the mirrors are usually filipino. These are mostly Filipinos who have never even lived in Hawaii.

Filipinos in Hawaii do tend to be Filipino/Spanish when in Hawaii. The Spanish in my opinion in order to be "Hapa" which they see as an improvement for some reason.

The same Filipino in the mainland will say they are Hawaiian/Filipino, usually in that order. As darker skinned Asians, I just think they like associating themselves with Hawaii. Its easy to fool most if not all mainlanders anyway since they've never seen a Hawaiian.
              Much of the "Pilipino identity crisis" is a direct result of a "colonized mentality." Four hundred years of Spanish oppression, followed by a hundred years of U.S. domination, tends to do that. However, there's a story behind the linkages between the Pilipino community in California and the kanaka maoli community....
              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

When in Hawai`i and asked about my nationality, my reply was "Filipino/French/Irish." Here on the mainland, my reply is the same. My nationalities are a sure thing.

However, if I don't mention our family's history in Hawai`i, people automatically assume my family and I are straight from the Philippines. If the people asking are not Filipino, then they stereotype us. If the people asking are Filipino, then they expect us to know the language, culture, etc.

Our family is four generations physically and culturally removed from the Philippines. Beginning three generations ago, we no longer spoke the Filipino language or observed the Filipino customs. As Craig mentioned, our family was "assimilated." We remember our dad saying "Close the light," and "Manong," and we all know what balut is, though we've never eaten it.

We're an odd-ball family to most of the Filipinos we meet. They think we're terribly "ignorant." Sometimes, they are offended that we don't speak Filipino, and my siblings and I have often detected something like disrespect or distaste when they find out we know virtually nothing about their customs. But it's because our family history diverted from the Philippines in 1920-something; we weren't raised as Philippine-Filipinos. We were raised by Filipinos coming off a Big Island plantation.

I don't think we'll ever FEEL like we belong to the Philippines, and it just seems like there would be something missing if I encouraged my family and my kids to embrace our Filipino roots as opposed to our history in Hawai`i.

In any case, we don't try to pass ourselves off as Hawaiian. My kids are very familiar with the history of the Hawaiian people and their current challenges.

I do, however, feel a tinge of something negative when I read/see/hear of folks--Filipino or otherwise--claiming all things Hawaiian, especially if they don't know the first thing about the Hawaiian people. Hawai`i is not kukui nut leis and hula stickers and hawaiian print accessories.
                ~'Ailina

Comment

It's interesting to note that many Pilipinos refer to themselves as "Filipino." In the original abakada Tagalog and abakada Ikokano (Tagalog and Ilocano alphabets) there is no "F." To "P" or not to "P", is a conundrum that plagues many Pilipino intellectuals. As long as we have "Pinoys" and "Pinays", instead of "Finoys" and "Finays", the answer should be somewhat obvious.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Wow that's messed up, trying to pass yourself as being Hawaiian. I agree that maybe they do that a lot on the mainland but over here not so much. It's funny because I always felt that the fil-ams over there have more "filipino pride" than over here.

Being a full blooded fil, I think I associate myself more with being from Hawaii (born and raised) than where my ancestors came from. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      Which explains why the mainstream media, when reporting on local Filipina celebs like Tia Carrere or Angie Baraquio or Jasmine Trias, call them "Hawaiian" as often than they're called Filipino.
                      Remember the movie Aloha Summer ? Tia and Andy Bumatai played Hawaiians.
                      Last edited by alohabear; October 27, 2005, 10:34 AM.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

I have a bit of a different take on all this since I grew up on the mainland amidst a sea of whites, lived in Honolulu for 8 years and even lived in Manila for a year.

There's such a complex history behind the Filipino's need to "assimilate" other cultures in America, but mainly it stems from the last 100 years of American domination of the Filipino psyche. Those who know Hawaiian history will easily see a pattern of American Imperialism in the late 1800s that crossed throughout the Pacific, including both Hawaii and the Philippines. What America gave to the Filipinos was never a sense of self-worth, but an inferiority to the white man.

Let's not get too hung up on the mainstream media. The mainstream media is dominated by whites who are usually too ignorant to know, understand or bother to research the difference between a Filipino from Hawaii and a true Hawaiian. Trias and Baraquio came from Hawaii, therefore, they must be "Hawaiian" - just as people from Minnesota are "Minnesotans." They fail to understand that "Hawaiian" is also an ethnicity of people.

While living in Hawaii, people would regularly ask me "What are you?" and when I simply told them "Filipino" that was never enough. I couldn't be "just" Filipino. Only when I gave them my complete ethnic breakdown of Filipino, Chinese and Spanish were the average local satiated by my answer. So, from my experience, a rigorous breakdown of one's ethnicity is not a matter of trying to fashion an "improvement" but rather, that's the status quo in Hawaii.

As to the Filipino being "Spanish" - the Spaniards were the conquerors for 400 years - do you really think they DIDN'T rape the local populace?

I think you'll find more of that "Filipino-Pride" on the mainland probably because more of the recent immigrants are on the mainland than Hawaii. Hawaii's an interesting place because its' Filipino population has been there for a number of generations and it's members have blended into the local culture.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                          Being a full blooded fil, I think I associate myself more with being from Hawaii (born and raised) than where my ancestors came from. What's wrong with that?

I'm the same way being pure blood Japanese. Never been to Japan...can't speak the language...have no desire to pound mochi. I'm 100% local as far as I'm concerned. As far as modern day Hawaii goes, I'm as assimilated into this state as much as any full-blooded Kanaka Maoli is. Living on the Big Island (moving from Honolulu) has given me a much bigger picture of the Aina, more so than some of my Honolulu Kanaka's out there.

So Cezanne...there's nothing wrong with that...I believe we the modern day locals of Hawaii represent the pride of what Hawaii has to offer to all who come to visit our beautiful islands.

Are we proud to be from Hawaii? Damned right! This is our home, this is where we grew up in, this is where our roots have dug deep in the Aina to nourish us. We are Hawaii.

So whether you're Kanaka Maoli, Filipino, Japanese, whatever...we are proud to live here as this is our home. Not Tahiti, not the Phillipines, not Japan. Assimilation into a culture? Hawaiians have introduced rice into their luaus, Japanese have introduced Poke into their rice dishes. I eat blood cuz it taste's great over rice.

We have all integrated our ethnic cultures into one big melting pot we call Local Hawaii. Unlike the mainland where ethnicities try to remain pure by not mixing cultures (the Salad Bowl) we here in Hawaii have really mixed it all up and the result is "Local". Hawaiians wearing slippers, Japanese eating poi and everybody eating Kim Chee with their Teri plate with side order lomi salmon.

Bottom line is that Hawaii represents diversity to it's fullest, bringing in cultures from all over the Pacific rim and beyond and melting it down into what we call "local". Not Hawaiian, not Filipino, not Japanese, but local.

What do you call a typical plate lunch? What's served at most luaus? You'll see a great mix of cultural foods on the table and on the plate.

The most typical plate lunch is the Teri Plate. Mostly Japanese by virtue of it's contents: Teriyaki beef or pork and rice. By right it's a Japanese dish, but to us it's local. What about a locomoco? There's nothing Hawaiian about that dish at all. But it's local.

At Luau's there's always a catering pan of chicken katsu and rice. There's chicken long rice, lomi salmon. Salmon! Now how in the world did Lomi Salmon become a Hawaiian dish? Hawaiians never had access to salmon.

But there it is all these dishes are represented at a typical Luau nowdays. The only thing original is the Kalua pig and poi. Not too authentic in my book.

Filipinos trying to be Hawaiian? Maybe the best phrase is: Cultures trying to act local and that includes the Kanaka Maoli.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Last year, I called a mainland company to shop for some computer server furniture. I think the sales rep was kind of flirting with me on the phone. She asked if I was "Hawaiian". I kind of knew what she meant because mainland folks tend to think that way but I said, "no, I'm Chinese, born and raised here". That probably killed any romantic ideals she had of checking out a Hawaiian.

Even though I'm born and raised here, I can't call myself a "Hawaiian". Not while there is a race/culture that already has that name, even though its a western version of that label. Even if I got fluent in Hawaiian and lived the culture 24/7, still cannot be Hawaiian. Learning and living it is what it is. But having the ancestry is another thing. All my ancestors are Chinese.

Comment

Filipinos Are Not Trying To Be Hawaiian! I Am A Proud Filipino. True We Are Asian Americans, But We Are Also Pacific Islanders. The Philippines Are 7,000 Islands In The Pacific Ocean! Don't Stereotype All Filipinos, Sure They're Some That Probably Want To Be Hawaiian, But I Don't! Im Proud To Be Filipino. Filipinos=asian/pacific Islander

Comment

Working...
                              X