pureblood hawaiians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pureblood hawaiians

In another thread it was mentioned that only 1000 pure blooded Hawaiians are left,is this true?I was told by Hawaiians(part) that their are fullblooded communities of Hawaiians living on some of the smaller islands.I''ve only been to Oahu ,so wouldn't know.If true are their at least many high% Hawaiians .Google Chad/Brad Kalilimoku,both supposed pure Hawaiian,both absolutely beautiful .I've heard France pays some groups of polynesians to have children(Marquesas I think),maybe something like this could be done,perhaps housing and other benefits could be extended or even cash payments from a simple "tourism" tax.Is this even a concern for the people/government in the islands.I mean if we spend millions of dollars to "save" endangered bugs and birds,don't you think it's worthwhile to at least give a group of humans a chance at survival.

Re: pureblood hawaiians

Isn't the island of Niihau predominantly pure Hawaiians? I know the Robinson family owns the island, but supposedly the majority of that island's population are Kanaka Maole.

It's funny when you watch a Kamehameha Schools Song Contest now'a'days. You'd think those students were from Punahou or Iolani. Not Kamehameha.

My grandmother could speak Hawaiian fluently. My great-great grandmother was pure-blooded Hawaiian. I'm the watered down result.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Speaking of Hawaiian, I picked up this dictionary today...

http://www.besspress.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=2391

Great resource!
      Last edited by Pomai; October 31, 2005, 12:02 AM. Reason: BessPress.com or Costco. Your choice.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Quite some time ago I was very pleased to hear about the birth and continued support of Hawaiian language immersion schools.

The life of a culture is rooted in its vocabulary and syntax.

Sadly, the purity of blood (as it's called) will eventually dissipate. But if the language can survive, so will the culture.

Comment

My husband is 70% Hawaiian, and his heritage has been traced back to both King and Queen. I was amazed when we were sent his very detailed geneology, by his auntie who spent many years researching. It is certainly a wonderful heritage. The irony of our marriage is that he has never lived in Hawaii (he was an Air Force kid who was raised in Europe, then California). I on the other hand am of Italian and German background, but was raised on Oahu from age 6 on. Having been raised in Hawaii, and with my husbands rich heritage, we think it is important for our twins to learn about Hawaiiana (we homeschool our 5 year old twins).
          "No Can Hear, Get Beer in my Ear."

Comment

Originally posted by alice
            I mean if we spend millions of dollars to "save" endangered bugs and birds,don't you think it's worthwhile to at least give a group of humans a chance at survival.
            If you mean taxing one group of people to subsidize another group's "racial purity", then certainly not.

Comment

Working...
            X