Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Hawaii

Hi everyone,
    I live in Midwest and I would like to move to Hawaii. My fiance is Bosnian and Muslim and I am a mix of Serbian, Croatian and Hungarian and Christian. We met last year. We came to US as refugees and had no right to pick a city to live in. We HATE living in Midwest. Back home we lived close to Adriatic coast (part of Meditterrannean sea) and we miss coastal living. Unfortunately, because of the war and our "mixed" relationship we can never go back. Our children would face too many problems. We wanted to move to Hawaii but cost of housing seems to be higher than anywhere else. Now we are considering Miami because we cannot afford to live in Hawaii. My fiance is a car mechanic with 9 years of experience and I have a 4 year degree in chemistry. I'm starting PharmD program for a pharmacist next year. In Florida we found a lot of beautiful houses in nice areas from $200.000-300.000 and from 1300 sq ft to 2400 sq ft. In Hawaii same houses seem to be $600.000 and salaries are not any higher than in St. Louis or Florida. How do people survive with normal jobs? Did I look for houses in the wrong place? I will appreciate any advice. Thank you
    Last edited by TIANA; October 27, 2005, 02:36 PM.

Re: Moving to Hawaii

Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com
    You and your fiance have sure gone through some major hurdles. I wish you all the best and know that God will guide you where to go. Keep on believing.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha,
      I second Auntie Lynn. It is horrible what has transpired in Eastern Europe over the last decade or so. I knew several Bosnians in St. Louis, and also had a good friend in high school from Croatia (prior to the war.) I'm not surprised that you're ready to get back to the ocean - I spent my formidable years in St. Louis (about 25 years off and on) and also lived in Miami. My wife and I recently relocated to Honolulu (after comparing Miami and Honolulu.) **I do have to say that the Midwest isn't really a bad place to live - it just doesn't have a coastline. And the humidity is relentless in STL. Both Honolulu and Miami are wonderful places to live. Both have unique cultures, wonderful people, and of course, beautiful coastlines. However, the beautiful homes that you are finding near Miami for less than 300,000 look beautiful online - and that's about where it ends. Pretty much the general consensus here in Hawai'i as well - except that housing here (both purchase and rental) is much, much tighter. Before making a move anywhere, I would highly encourage a visit. Multiple visits if possible. You mentioned one thing that is a little concerning - you are preparing to enter pharmacy school - I would first research schools wherever you are considering moving (as well as out-of-state tuition - if it applies) and be sure that you'll be financially secure while you're in school. A side note, I have a good friend in Tucson, AZ with one year left in his pharm D program - cost of living is pretty affordable, the weather is usually nice - hot in summers though - and it's close enough to S. California that you can get a beach fix when necessary. I might also suggest looking at some of the other gulf cities from Houston through FL up to the Carolinas as well. Good Luck!
      Stephen
      Last edited by Stephen; October 28, 2005, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Auntie Lynn thank you very much for good wishes. Stephen, thank you for your advice. I have been in Florida at least 25 times and each time I spent at least 2 weeks. However, you are right about Miami. I have seen in person some beautifull houses in the price range of 200,000 to 300,000 but not in Miami. I checked Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale and several counties north of Ft. Lauderdale. We just returned from Miami and you were right-houses looked much nicer on Internet. Miami does have some nice areas but they are usually too close to bad neighborhoods or too expensive for me. Orlando has great weather ( I LOVE heat), beach is not too far and they have one of the best pharmacy schools so we are now considering moving there. My dream is still Hawaii but I might have to wait until I graduate. I will make more money with my pharmacy degree so I might be able to afford it. In a few months I will visit Tucson and see if I like it. That sounds like a nice place also. In St. Louis we live in St. Louis Hills which is a very nice neighborhood and I am not willing to move to another place and live in a trailer. I would rather stay here for a few more years even though I HATE winter. I just don't understand how people live in Hawaii-it seems they are either very, very poor or very, very rich. Middle class seems to be disappearing everywhere. Thank you very much for your helpfull response.

Comment

Working...
        X