PDA

View Full Version : Aloha From Big Island

harpoon
October 29th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Hello,
I'm a transplanted ex-Chicagoan (1957-1973), moved to Puna on the Big Island at age 16 with my family (and when 1 acre of property was $2000). I'm Polish/Swedish/Ilocano but have been told I look Australian. Married, 2 teen sons.
In Chicago I attened an all boys Catholic High School for two years then came to Hawaii and attended what was deemed the worst school in the state my final two years. Went through the "culture shock" thing, eventually blended in as a Kamaaina.
I live in a subdivision in the Puna rainforest so it's a case of the "boy being taken out of the city" and learning the ways of the wild.

Any Mid-Westerners considering coming to Hawaii to live and looking to get away from the rat-race or you just want a slower pace or to retire... the Big Island is the place.

Off topic- Did anyone else hear that it's Oprah's fault why there is so much construction going on and why everything (land-housing-rents) is skyrocketing?

tutusue
October 29th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Hello,
I'm a transplanted ex-Chicagoan (1957-1973), moved to Puna on the Big Island at age 16 with my family (and when 1 acre of property was $2000). I'm Polish/Swedish/Ilocano but have been told I look Australian.[...]
Off topic- Did anyone else hear that it's Oprah's fault why there is so much construction going on and why everything (land-housing-rents) is skyrocketing?
Welcome to HT's little corner of the cyber world!

Ummm...with all due respect, I have to ask this question! What does an Aussie look like? My assistant is Australian and, well, looks...caucasian. It's not 'til she speaks that one can detect where she's from. Ditto for a director I work with. The only common denominators between the 2 of them are they're both slender, both have narrow faces and both have fine features. A singer I know here is a Maori from New Zealand. Again, 'til she speaks she could easily appear to be from Hawaii as she pulls a slight bit on the hapa side. So, seriously, I'm interested in learning what distinguishes an Aussie's 'look'.

Hmmm...I heard the construction issue was Donald Trump's fault! :eek:

Miulang
October 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Welcome to HT.
It's not Oprah's fault that there's so much construction in Hawai'i. Blame it on the likes of The Donald and other real estate developers who come in, make their money and skiddaddle out of town.

Any land that Oprah owns on Maui has not been developed; to the contrary, the land deal she is in the process of concluding will put over 100 acres of prime land in Hana into conservation land that will not be developed.

Miulang

kimo55
October 29th, 2005, 04:43 PM
....you just want a slower pace or to retire... the Big Island is the place.

may as well hear it sooner than later:
kama'aina say: It has a name; Hawaii. Refer to it by name;
Hawaii island.

SouthKona
October 29th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Hawaii island.

Yeah, well, us people on the BIG ISLAND often call it the Big Island. :D

drewb
October 30th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Hello,
I'm a transplanted ex-Chicagoan (1957-1973), moved to Puna on the Big Island at age 16 with my family (and when 1 acre of property was $2000). I'm Polish/Swedish/Ilocano but have been told I look Australian. Married, 2 teen sons.
In Chicago I attened an all boys Catholic High School for two years then came to Hawaii and attended what was deemed the worst school in the state my final two years. Went through the "culture shock" thing, eventually blended in as a Kamaaina.
I live in a subdivision in the Puna rainforest so it's a case of the "boy being taken out of the city" and learning the ways of the wild.

Any Mid-Westerners considering coming to Hawaii to live and looking to get away from the rat-race or you just want a slower pace or to retire... the Big Island is the place.

you are out of your mind...Oprah has bought over 100 acres on Maui near Hana to save it from development...........PS your english is terrible

kimo55
October 30th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Yeah, well, us people on the BIG ISLAND often call it the Big Island. :D
yea, thass whot we hear....

Leo Lakio
October 30th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Yeah, well, us people on the BIG ISLAND often call it the Big Island.
Yeah - and you call it "ice shave" too, I hear - sounds dyslexic to me.
:D JUST KIDDING! :D

SouthKona
October 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Today was a beautiful day on the Big Island. Very quiet and relaxing. In fact, I even had time tonight to count how many "Big Island" listings are in the phone book: approx 167. How many "Hawaii Island": only approx. 21.
Yes, we like to call ourselves .... the Big Island! :D
And, WE know it is shaved ice. :p

kimo55
October 30th, 2005, 09:50 PM
here's da t'ing. old skool, many of da real kama'aina, kupuna, etc. think it's disrespectful to say
the big island.

and for most all my life here, i have heard
shave ice.
they call it
shaved ice on da mainland.

je'like toasting with
"okole maluna" as some usta do, is considered very rude by old timers cuz no one knows what okole really means.
sure;
"the big island"
is sweeping the nation, and the whole of the proletariat use it.
That don't make it pono.
Like callin' these islands
the sandwich isles.

or necker island.
It has a real name.
Mokumanamana

So does
easter island
or the marquesas.
But these are now so ubiquitous, some think these monikers are now correct.

as manini as some think it is, some prefer to display the respect it deserves. That just happens to be one perspective. One i subscribe to. It does not make it absolute. just another way to look at it. and it is a perspective many have who I respect and continue to learn from.

Miulang
October 31st, 2005, 05:55 AM
How you can tell a malihini from a kama'aina: malihinis call it "shaved ice". Kama'ainas call it "shave ice". That's the way it always has been and always will be to locals, no matter WHERE they live. :rolleyes:

Miulang

kimo55
October 31st, 2005, 06:41 AM
How you can tell a malihini from a kama'aina: malihinis call it "shaved ice". Kama'ainas call it "shave ice". That's the way it always has been and always will be to locals, no matter WHERE they live. :rolleyes:

Miulang

yea. in fak it is one word.

"eh.
you ono fo some shayvise o' wot!?"

sinjin
October 31st, 2005, 08:01 AM
Having to distinguish the island from the state of a similar name seems to have me using the BI. I will try to stick to the "island of Hawaii". Countdown @ 6 weeks. :D

kimo55
October 31st, 2005, 08:20 AM
Having to distinguish the island from the state of a similar name seems to have me using the BI. I will try to stick to the "island of Hawaii". Countdown @ 6 weeks. :D

we lazy li'dat. drop one word.
"Hawaii island"

SouthKona
October 31st, 2005, 02:30 PM
Yeah, well, this family has been on the Big Island for generations, and we're sticking to "Big Island". (Makes me also think about those who lived here way back, before English was spoken: they did not say "Hawaii Island", as "island" is not a Hawaiian word.)
In any case, we will stick to the names Big Island, Kamuela, and pickled mango. ;)

kimo55
October 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM
peekohmango

SouthKona
October 31st, 2005, 08:54 PM
add some pork n' beans, mayo, and bread, and you've got dinner!!

pmansker
November 4th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Yeah, well, this family has been on the Big Island for generations, and we're sticking to "Big Island". (Makes me also think about those who lived here way back, before English was spoken: they did not say "Hawaii Island", as "island" is not a Hawaiian word.)
In any case, we will stick to the names Big Island, Kamuela, and pickled mango. ;)
hey iam from texas ...what ever happened to the word BIG KAHONA...lol i love hawaii and the beautiful people how live there i want to come live there myself , you are all so nice :cool:

kimo55
November 4th, 2005, 06:42 AM
..what ever happened to the word BIG KAHONA...

that would be
two words...
and....
never heard the phrase.

Leo Lakio
November 4th, 2005, 08:50 AM
that would be
two words...
and....
never heard the phrase.
Probably means "big kahuna" - who wants to tackle the incorrectness of using that phrase now?

lurkah
November 4th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Probably means "big kahuna" - who wants to tackle the incorrectness of using that phrase now?

"Big Kahuna" is the name of a local higher-end furniture company that, after being in business here for almost a year, abruptly declared bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago, leaving in the lurch creditors and outraged customers who had paid for their never-to-be-delivered furniture in advance. Their TV commercials would feature employees dressed up in Italian mafia-style outfits and doing bad imitations of Tony "Scarface" Montana. They were so clueless.

Da Big Kahuna wen come take care them. :p

Miulang
November 4th, 2005, 01:12 PM
"Big Kahuna" is the name of a local higher-end furniture company that, after being in business here for almost a year, abruptly declared bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago, leaving in the lurch creditors and outraged customers who had paid for their never-to-be-delivered furniture in advance. Their TV commercials would feature employees dressed up in Italian mafia-style outfits and doing bad imitations of Tony "Scarface" Montana. They were so clueless.

Da Big Kahuna wen come take care them. :p
Lurkah: there was a store in "your" boonies that had the name "Big Kahuna???" No wonder it went out of business. Even if people in da boonies could make the connection between "Big Kahuna" and Hawai'i, how many would think that "Hawaiian" furniture was upscale? Most "tourists" only know fake bamboo and rattan as "Hawaiian" furniture. And if their commercials had Goombahs, how the heck do you get from Hawaii (or even surfer California) to Italian? What kind of furniture did they sell anyway, leather kine? :confused:

Miulang

lurkah
November 4th, 2005, 01:35 PM
What kind of furniture did they sell anyway, leather kine? :confused:

They sold bedroom and living room type furniture. It didn't matter what brand or kinda as there was nothing Hawaiian-ish about it. They just used the "Big Kahuna" name as an attention-getting gimmick, dressed up as mafiosos and said tacky stuff on their TV ads such as, "We'll make you offers you can't refuse." I wonder if anybody put contracts out on them for sticking it to their customers like that when they abruptly shut down and disappeared.

harpoon
November 5th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Welcome to HT's little corner of the cyber world!

Ummm...with all due respect, I have to ask this question! What does an Aussie look like? My assistant is Australian and, well, looks...caucasian. It's not 'til she speaks that one can detect where she's from. Ditto for a director I work with. The only common denominators between the 2 of them are they're both slender, both have narrow faces and both have fine features. A singer I know here is a Maori from New Zealand. Again, 'til she speaks she could easily appear to be from Hawaii as she pulls a slight bit on the hapa side. So, seriously, I'm interested in learning what distinguishes an Aussie's 'look'.

Hmmm...I heard the construction issue was Donald Trump's fault! :eek:
LOL I was was told by an African American man that I looked Austrailian and I wasn't sure what that meant, but I guess you sorta answered it. I am slender, I do have angular features (narrow face, feet, hands), I also have brown hair and a continually tanned (or slightly sunburned ) face.

Good day mate!

harpoon
November 5th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Hawaii island.
For the Big Islanders living in the most rural parts of the Big Island,using the term Big Island is a term of endearmeant. There are just certain cultural/superstition things you don't do here (or do to the land) that are not known outside of the Big Island.
Also refering to the Big Island as Hawaii or Hawaii Island to a visitior creates all kinds of confusion.

harpoon
November 5th, 2005, 06:39 AM
you are out of your mind...Oprah has bought over 100 acres on Maui near Hana to save it from development...........PS your english is terrible

I beg to differ about my use of the english language. Try reading my post again, faster and in a "clipped Klingon" fashion. (taking out most adjectives for the sake of keeping the post to the point).

About Oprah .... she made a statement on one of her show last year. She said "The only affordable ocean front property in the US is in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii". Here on the BI, she is being blamed for the development here, simply because of that statement. Not fair, I agree. But that's how Oprah is implicated.
The 1 acre (undeveloped rainforest) next to me was selling for $8000 cash 6 years ago. Last year it sold for $25,000, now the new owner is asking $45,000

kimo55
November 5th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Also refering to the Big Island as Hawaii or Hawaii Island to a visitior creates all kinds of confusion.
all the better.

Pua'i Mana'o
November 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM
In English:
Big Island
Big Isle
Hawai'i island

In Hawaiian:
Moku O Keawe
Hawai'i moku

and even in Hawaiian today, we say "Pi'ilani" for Maui, "Kakuhihewa" for O'ahu, "Manokalanipo" for Kaua'i, "Nui a Hina" for Moloka'i, "Lana'i-Ka'ula" for Lana'i and "Kahelelani" for Ni'ihau

growing up in Hilo:
ice shave (with the "ce" silent; iShave would be a tekkie way to write it phonetically)

Miulang
November 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM
In Hawaiian:
Moku O Keawe
Hawai'i moku

and even in Hawaiian today, we say "Pi'ilani" for Maui, "Kakuhihewa" for O'ahu, "Manokalanipo" for Kaua'i, "Nui a Hina" for Moloka'i, "Lana'i-Ka'ula" for Lana'i and "Kahelelani" for Ni'ihau

Good thing there are English equivalents for the names of the Hawaiian islands, then. Can you imagine how the Hawaiian names would get mangled by the tourists? ;)

Miulang

beaker
November 7th, 2005, 04:58 AM
How you can tell a malihini from a kama'aina: malihinis call it "shaved ice". Kama'ainas call it "shave ice".

We plainsmen call it "sno-cone". ;)

Leo Lakio
November 7th, 2005, 08:50 AM
We plainsmen call it "sno-cone". ;)
Oh, you open yourself up for attack with this one, friend... :p

Quickly acquaint yourself with the differences between sno-cones (small, mostly rounded granules of ice, from which the syrup runs off and gathers in the bottom of the paper cone) and shave ice (fine slivers of ice, with enough of a rough edge to hold the syrup throughout the time it takes to gobble the tasty treat.) You'll be hooked on the latter, and never make comparison of the two again.

Plus, I've never seen anyone offer sno-comes with azuki bean at the bottom.

Now - everyone be nice to beaker; I'm sure he's learned his lesson. :D

Miulang
November 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Or azuki bean and ice cream at the bottom...onolicious and only in Hawai'i!

Miulang

beaker
November 7th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Well that much is certainly true. The shape of the ice particles depends on the machine that was used to break down the ice, and how fresh it is, which can vary a lot. Good sno-cones are fine flake freshly made for each cone, like the snow they're named after - or sometimes they're real snow. I didn't know any shave ice had ice cream at the bottom, though. Must investigate....

Leo Lakio
November 8th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I didn't know any shave ice had ice cream at the bottom, though. Must investigate....
Lucky you - please DO investigate, and report back in explicit detail, for the benefit of those of us who don't get to enjoy shave ice quite so easily or as often as in the Islands (though, there ARE some good sources for it here in the Pacific NW.)

Shave ice with ice cream, sweet azuki bean, or both at the bottom - very popular options - I suspect you'll love 'em. HT folks --- where are your recommendations for beaker to check out in Hilo?

Keaukaha girl
February 25th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Mahalo for straightening it out for everyone in here. All those true to our islands local culture know that we do not call it shave ice here. It is ice shave. It could even be said specifically for the east side of the island too. We should all really check our facts before we spew local culture here regardless of how many years you've lived here. We don't want to give the wrong information to those that don't know nothing about our island.

thorfinn
February 25th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I don't care what folks call it, I just know where to get it and that is Matsumotos'.

Miulang
February 25th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Mahalo for straightening it out for everyone in here. All those true to our islands local culture know that we do not call it shave ice here. It is ice shave. It could even be said specifically for the east side of the island too. We should all really check our facts before we spew local culture here regardless of how many years you've lived here. We don't want to give the wrong information to those that don't know nothing about our island.
People may call it Ice shave elsewhere in the 'aina, but on Maui, we still call it shave ice. We don't call it shaved ice, though. :)

Miulang

Jonah K
February 25th, 2006, 09:27 AM
People may call it Ice shave elsewhere in the 'aina, but on Maui, we still call it shave ice. We don't call it shaved ice, though. :)

Miulang
We always were a little "backwards" on the Big Island. However, it's simply attributable to regional variations in Pidgin. However, "shave ice" as opposed to "ice shave" is rapidly becoming the norm even on the east side of the Big Island due to the demographic shift that's occurring. Hopefully, folks will never get around to calling it a "sno-cone" here. ;)

Da Rolling Eye
February 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Yup, had me a wife from Hilo, once. She talked funny kine. We'd go order shave ice, she'd order ice shave. I'd point to a roadside vendor selling pickled mango, she say lets get some mango pickle. I'd tell her, "Honey, dis is not Hilo." She'd day, "Ai. Oh yeah, no?" :confused: :D

kimo55
February 25th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Some call it Lohi.

oggboy
February 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Big Island Hawaii, Welcome to the Orchid Isle.......
Oh, when change too like Maui.............
Welcome to the Valley Isle, The Magic Isle, Gilligan`s Isle.....

WHO COMING UP WITH THESE LO-LO SLOGANS.....

OGGBOY :eek:

Keaukaha girl
February 27th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Miulang
I was speaking specifically for Hawai'i, not the other islands. Ice shave follows the correct Hawaiian grammar, hau ko'i (ice shave) is what we call it in Hawaiian, not ko'i hau (shave ice). It just shows how screwed up the English language is, not "pidgin". We should call English "Pidgin-Hawaiian" since it is one of the most backwards language ever!!!! :)

Leo Lakio
February 27th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I don't care what folks call it, I just know where to get it and that is Matsumotos'.
As you get settled on O`ahu, explore further --- Matsumoto's has become a tourist haven, as much for the t-shirts as for the shave ice. You can get much better shave ice elsewhere on the island.

My favorite is Waiola Store, corner of Waiola & Pa`ani (McCully area of Honolulu. Or is that technically Moili`ili? My geography still gets messed up in town.)

zztype
February 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM
My favorite shave ice is at B&S Store at the corner of School Street and Frog Lane. It's past Nuuanu going Ewa, just past the freeway onramp.

Real old-style shave ice, from a real old-style Japanese cast iron shave ice machine. They keep the blade sharp and tuned on the shave ice machine. The ice is super fine, melts in the mouth.

And if you're lucky, the old guy who has run the store for the past 50 years will make the shave ice for you with his bare hands. You know that his hands are immune to the cold after all the decades.

And they use old-school syrup for the flavoring--not too sweet, no exotic flavors. Just the same stuff as when my parents were kids. The Real DealTM.

Blaine

Pua'i Mana'o
February 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I was speaking specifically for Hawai'i, not the other islands. Ice shave follows the correct Hawaiian grammar, hau ko'i (ice shave) is what we call it in Hawaiian, not ko'i hau (shave ice). It just shows how screwed up the English language is, not "pidgin". We should call English "Pidgin-Hawaiian" since it is one of the most backwards language ever!!!! :)

hau ko'i...'aue so Hilo e! :)

pzarquon
February 28th, 2006, 06:05 AM
My favorite shave ice is at B&S Store at the corner of School Street and Frog Lane. It's past Nuuanu going Ewa, just past the freeway onramp... And if you're lucky, the old guy who has run the store for the past 50 years will make the shave ice for you with his bare hands.This is a great tip, Blaine! Thanks. Definitely something to seek out. A gem of Honolulu that you know everyone will talk about and miss only after it's gone.

I haven't attempted Matsumoto's in years. My family has developed an affection for Aoki's next door. This is for our pilgrimmages to Haleiwa, though. Most of the time, like Leo, I have a soft spot for Waiola. I went to Lunalilo Elementary/Washington Intermediate in McCully, so it brings back memories of hanabada days.