Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha From Big Island

Hello,
    I'm a transplanted ex-Chicagoan (1957-1973), moved to Puna on the Big Island at age 16 with my family (and when 1 acre of property was $2000). I'm Polish/Swedish/Ilocano but have been told I look Australian. Married, 2 teen sons.
    In Chicago I attened an all boys Catholic High School for two years then came to Hawaii and attended what was deemed the worst school in the state my final two years. Went through the "culture shock" thing, eventually blended in as a Kamaaina.
    I live in a subdivision in the Puna rainforest so it's a case of the "boy being taken out of the city" and learning the ways of the wild.

Any Mid-Westerners considering coming to Hawaii to live and looking to get away from the rat-race or you just want a slower pace or to retire... the Big Island is the place.

Off topic- Did anyone else hear that it's Oprah's fault why there is so much construction going on and why everything (land-housing-rents) is skyrocketing?

Re: Aloha From Big Island

Originally posted by harpoon
    Hello,
    I'm a transplanted ex-Chicagoan (1957-1973), moved to Puna on the Big Island at age 16 with my family (and when 1 acre of property was $2000). I'm Polish/Swedish/Ilocano but have been told I look Australian.[...]
    Off topic- Did anyone else hear that it's Oprah's fault why there is so much construction going on and why everything (land-housing-rents) is skyrocketing?
    Welcome to HT's little corner of the cyber world!

Ummm...with all due respect, I have to ask this question! What does an Aussie look like? My assistant is Australian and, well, looks...caucasian. It's not 'til she speaks that one can detect where she's from. Ditto for a director I work with. The only common denominators between the 2 of them are they're both slender, both have narrow faces and both have fine features. A singer I know here is a Maori from New Zealand. Again, 'til she speaks she could easily appear to be from Hawaii as she pulls a slight bit on the hapa side. So, seriously, I'm interested in learning what distinguishes an Aussie's 'look'.

Hmmm...I heard the construction issue was Donald Trump's fault!

Comment

Welcome to HT.
      It's not Oprah's fault that there's so much construction in Hawai'i. Blame it on the likes of The Donald and other real estate developers who come in, make their money and skiddaddle out of town.

Any land that Oprah owns on Maui has not been developed; to the contrary, the land deal she is in the process of concluding will put over 100 acres of prime land in Hana into conservation land that will not be developed.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

....you just want a slower pace or to retire... the Big Island is the place.
        may as well hear it sooner than later:
        kama'aina say: It has a name; Hawaii. Refer to it by name;
        Hawaii island.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          may as well hear it sooner than later:
          kama'aina say: It has a name; Hawaii. Refer to it by name;
          Hawaii island.
          Yeah, well, us people on the BIG ISLAND often call it the Big Island.

Comment

Hello,
            I'm a transplanted ex-Chicagoan (1957-1973), moved to Puna on the Big Island at age 16 with my family (and when 1 acre of property was $2000). I'm Polish/Swedish/Ilocano but have been told I look Australian. Married, 2 teen sons.
            In Chicago I attened an all boys Catholic High School for two years then came to Hawaii and attended what was deemed the worst school in the state my final two years. Went through the "culture shock" thing, eventually blended in as a Kamaaina.
            I live in a subdivision in the Puna rainforest so it's a case of the "boy being taken out of the city" and learning the ways of the wild.

Any Mid-Westerners considering coming to Hawaii to live and looking to get away from the rat-race or you just want a slower pace or to retire... the Big Island is the place.

you are out of your mind...Oprah has bought over 100 acres on Maui near Hana to save it from development...........PS your english is terrible

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
              yea, thass whot we hear....

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                Yeah - and you call it "ice shave" too, I hear - sounds dyslexic to me.
                JUST KIDDING!

Comment

Today was a beautiful day on the Big Island. Very quiet and relaxing. In fact, I even had time tonight to count how many "Big Island" listings are in the phone book: approx 167. How many "Hawaii Island": only approx. 21.
                  Yes, we like to call ourselves .... the Big Island!
                  And, WE know it is shaved ice.

Comment

here's da t'ing. old skool, many of da real kama'aina, kupuna, etc. think it's disrespectful to say
                    the big island.

and for most all my life here, i have heard
                    shave ice.
                    they call it
                    shaved ice on da mainland.

je'like toasting with
                    "okole maluna" as some usta do, is considered very rude by old timers cuz no one knows what okole really means.
                    sure;
                    "the big island"
                    is sweeping the nation, and the whole of the proletariat use it.
                    That don't make it pono.
                    Like callin' these islands
                    the sandwich isles.

or necker island.
                    It has a real name.
                    Mokumanamana

So does
                    easter island
                    or the marquesas.
                    But these are now so ubiquitous, some think these monikers are now correct.

as manini as some think it is, some prefer to display the respect it deserves. That just happens to be one perspective. One i subscribe to. It does not make it absolute. just another way to look at it. and it is a perspective many have who I respect and continue to learn from.

Comment

How you can tell a malihini from a kama'aina: malihinis call it "shaved ice". Kama'ainas call it "shave ice". That's the way it always has been and always will be to locals, no matter WHERE they live.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        How you can tell a malihini from a kama'aina: malihinis call it "shaved ice". Kama'ainas call it "shave ice". That's the way it always has been and always will be to locals, no matter WHERE they live.

Miulang

yea. in fak it is one word.

"eh.
                        you ono fo some shayvise o' wot!?"

Comment

Having to distinguish the island from the state of a similar name seems to have me using the BI. I will try to stick to the "island of Hawaii". Countdown @ 6 weeks.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                            Having to distinguish the island from the state of a similar name seems to have me using the BI. I will try to stick to the "island of Hawaii". Countdown @ 6 weeks.
                            we lazy li'dat. drop one word.
                            "Hawaii island"

Comment

Yeah, well, this family has been on the Big Island for generations, and we're sticking to "Big Island". (Makes me also think about those who lived here way back, before English was spoken: they did not say "Hawaii Island", as "island" is not a Hawaiian word.)
                              In any case, we will stick to the names Big Island, Kamuela, and pickled mango.

Comment

Working...
                              X