Kitchen Tools & Gadgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Tools & Gadgets

Unlike my girlfriend who has a college degree in Culinary Arts (really), I learned most of my cooking skills out of basic survival. Cooking shows such as Hawaii's Kitchen, Sam Choy's and the Food Network are also one of my greatest resources of learning.

One of the most important things to know besides basic food science and cooking methods are the TOOLS you use to prepare food.

Are you on a power trip? Does everything you use in the kitchen have to have a motor and a plug on it?

Or do you prefer doing the job by hand? Just a good 'n sharp chef's knife and a cutting board gets it done?

---------------------------------

For the most part I prefer hand jobs - my trusty J.A. Henkels 10" chef's knife and bamboo cutting board puts our plate on the table.

But what I just recently discovered is the greatness of the Electric Carving Knife! This must be one of the oldest electric kitchen appliance gadgets invented, yet I think many overlook it's abilities. Just the other day I was preparing French Dip Sandwiches, where I had cut to a London Broil into very thin pieces. The electric knife went through that thing like butter. Another advantage I've found was that the meat didn't lose as much of it's juices from cutting. In fact, hardly a drop. It all stayed where it should be.. in the meat.

Another hand tool I rely on when making Tonkotsu is the Benriner Japanese Mandalin. This is the best tool to use if you want shredded cabbage that's sliced paper thin. They're available at Daiei, Shirokiya and Marukai for about $25.00.

Another must-have powertool for me is the good 'ole blender. While I don't use it often, there are occasions when it comes in handy, like for making Pesto or milk shakes.

Another must-have for is the good 'ole electric cake mixer. I'm not a baker, but this is THE tool for making my favorite Clam Dip recipe.

My girlfriend relies on our Electric Coffee Maker (the old school 'kine with the paper filter). She doesn't care for instant.

We also have an arsenal of Haoule Koa bowls and trays for when we serve Hawaiian food to guests.

During the work week we use disposable plates and cups. Beats washing dishes.

My aunt has one of those "why make coffee when you can redefine it" coffee maker gadgets. It grinds! It froths! It.. it's a pain in the okole to clean. Plus you need a damn college degree just to operate it.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Kitchen Tools & Gadgets

Hahahahahahahahaha! Put me in any kitchen Pomai, any kitchen at all.

I've cooked for small parties and for big ones just using the basics thats in a kitchen. If the person doesn't have heart or the gift of cooking...no moa common sense per se' -- no moa!

No tools will assist the wanna bee Chef! No recipes, No nothing.

It comes from the heart. It comes from within. The hell with the tools!

Improvise first and learn as the great cooks have done before you.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; October 30, 2005, 11:37 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

There are so many various styles of cooking...mine tends to be simple, short order and in bulk! A lot of what I cook gets packaged for the office freezer as I don't have the time or the inclination to go out to eat every day. That said, here's a list of my important kitchen arsenal...

George Forman grill (can't live without it...it's short order heaven!)
      Blender/food processor combo (the one from Costco)...a great multi-tasker...love it for smoothies for the office fridge
      mandalin with various blades
      Tilia foodsaver
      Isi cream whipper (can live without it...but it's a cool kitchen toy!)

Comment

Aunty, I totally agree about cooking from the heart. Sam Choy says that!

But you still need at least a knife to cut with. Or what you going do, just grind one whole Ribeye steak like one caveman? Savage munching action.

Which brings to mind another question I've asked before...

Which do you most often use:
        • Chopsticks?
        • Fork?
        • None of the above. I either use a shovel, bulldozer or my bare hands.

I use chopsticks more than a fork. Especially for ramen/saimin, my sustenance of choice. Eating ramen with a fork is just weird for me.

Only if it's an extravagant Euro-Western dish such as Rack of Lamb or Steak I'll use a fork. Otherwise pass the chopsticks. And the shoyu and A-1 too.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          Aunty, I totally agree about cooking from the heart. Sam Choy says that!

But you still need at least a knife to cut with. Or what you going do, just grind one whole Ribeye steak like one caveman? Savage munching action.

Which brings to mind another question I've asked before...

Which do you most often use:
          • Chopsticks?
          • Fork?
          • None of the above. I either use a shovel, bulldozer or my bare hands.

I use chopsticks more than a fork. Especially for ramen/saimin, my sustenance of choice. Eating ramen with a fork is just weird for me.

Pomai, I neva know Sam say dat. I don't watch his show. Honest.
          I do use a KNIFE.
          As far as chopsticks, fork or none of the above.
          Don't tell. I don't know how to use chopsticks!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Kitchen Tools & Gadgets - sources

Okay I'm going legit, and not tacking this on to the Popeye's Chicken thread.

I found two stories for those of us for whom time in the kitchen can be recreative ... (when we have the time and ingree-da-ments). The first one is about Oahu's restaurant supply stores ... (one of them, referenced on the Popeyes thread); the other is about finding good kitchen stuff at your favorite hardware store (like the chefs often do).

Shop like a chef

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/14/f...s/story01.html

Kitchen hardware (kitchen tools and alternatives you can find at the hardware store)

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/18/f...s/story01.html
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I've got a knife block with six reasonably good German steel knives. Also a cheapo plastic mandolin (Ai! Watch your fingers!). We've got an electric knife, but it's so old the plug doesn't stay in the handle very well. An electric can-opener, but I've got a manual for back-up.

We just gave away (to Goodwill or some outfit like that) an electric slicer (like the Hobart machines you see at delicatessens, only tabletop), because we hadn't used it in 10 years. I still have an electric skillet, because sometimes you need more frying space than the two larger burners allow.

We have an electric oven/range -- if I could change one thing about my kitchen it would be to have gas, just to speed up the heating elements.

What else? Lessee, electric juicer I never use; broken food processor which never got much use anyway but I hate to see it go into the landfill; rice cooker (of course!); and the Jenn-Air elements for the range (shish-kabob, rotisserie, deep fryer, grill racks). The Jenn-Air would get more use if it weren't such a pain to clean the grill rocks. I tend to have four burners out for a long time, then I put the grill in and leave it for a month, then go back to burners. Cyclical, that's me.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I love to cook. I have things in my kitchen I don't need, and I find myself using the same things quite often.
                1. Tongs: Two of each in three different sizes for sauteing, retrieving blanched veggies, for grilling.
                2. Silicone spatulas: Quite a few, again in various sizes. I like to use these when sauteing as well, or for scooping out condiments or for gently stirring things.
                3. Salad spinner: When these first came out I thought they were incredible. Constantly in use.
                4. Professional corkscrew remover: We bought these at Costco last year and gave one to every family member. Effortless. When it comes to wanting a glass of wine to drink or to cook, I need it and I need it NOW! This does the trick.
                5. Round cutting board: I don't know why, but I have a white plastic round cutting board that I use more than any others. It's very thin and doesn't skate around.
                6. Great knives: We like Wusthof. I like a good carving knife, a good chopping knife and a good bread knife. I rarely use a paring knife, but we have them.
                7. Oxo good grips vegetable peeler.
                8. Le Crueset Dutch Oven (big!)
                9. Non-stick large skillet from Calphalon.
                10. Our Weber grill (best Father's Day Gift I ever gave my husband for myself!)
                11. A perpetual herb garden.

More of course, but these are the things I use just about every day.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                  I love to cook.
                  we'll be right over.

Comment

Tonight's dish will be prepared using nearly all of the aforementioned: Ratatouille.

And I bought a piece of fish with the new name: Corvina. It's actually cod and most often used for ceviche...don'tcha just love marketing?! Since I'll be sharing it with my girls, I'm either going to roast it with some tomatoes, peppers and onions or grill it.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

And I bought a piece of fish with the new name: Corvina.[...]
                      During my small kid days in SoCal, corbina was a popular fish. Has the 'v' version replaced the 'b' version? Just curious as I've not heard of that fish in decades. I'm trippin' down Memory Lane! And, don't even get me started on fresh abalone!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        During my small kid days in SoCal, corbina was a popular fish. Has the 'v' version replaced the 'b' version? Just curious as I've not heard of that fish in decades. I'm trippin' down Memory Lane! And, don't even get me started on fresh abalone!

Well, Sue the location is right, but if you go to Safeway, it's called Corvina with a v...you know I know they've done the marketing remake of other fish, although none come to mind right now. I enjoy cod, I enjoy a solid white fish. I'd prefer it dipped into beer batter, deep fried by someone else, served with a deliciously fat tarter sauce, slaw and fries, and a beer. But that's my fantasy and that ain't happenin' over here. I think those days are pretty much over for me!
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Well, Sue the location is right, but if you go to Safeway, it's called Corvina with a v...you know I know they've done the marketing remake of other fish, although none come to mind right now.[...]
                          I had no idea Safeway had cor(bv)ina! The next time I'm home long enough to cook I'll have to try it. Or is it a fish they don't carry all of the time?

There's another fish Safeway carries on somewhat rare occasion and for the life of me I can't recall the name right now. It's the same color as salmon and as much as I love salmon I love this other fish even more. I wanna say red trout...but I don't think that's it. Now you have me wondering if that, too, is a marketing remake.

And, to stay on topic...
                          I still love my George Forman grill, mentioned earlier in this thread!

Comment

Sue:
                            Blaine at the Hawaii Kai Safeway fresh fish department said that the cor(bv)ina never used to get out here because it was too fragile. But now the fishermen can flash-freeze it when caught, making it possible to get here.

I've never used a George Foreman grill, but probably would if I still lived in a condo.

Is the fish you're thinking of red fleshed with silver skin like a salmon or red skinned and white fleshed like red snapper?

I've got to go pay attention to the pot on the stove!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I've only had cor(bv)ina that was caught the same day so I wasn't aware of the fragility issue.

And...red flesh w/silver skin! If I wasn't so lazy I'd go check my tongue in a mirror. I'm sure I'd see that fish's name on the very end of it!

Back on topic...I still really like my Isi cream whipper, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X