Galen Fox Resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galen Fox Resigns

'SHOCK': Rep. Fox quits after sex conviction (Honolulu Star-Bulletin)
    Fox, 63, (R, Waikiki-Ala Moana) was convicted of sexual battery, a misdemeanor, in an Oct. 20 nonjury trial in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles. He was charged Dec. 18 after a 27-year-old woman accused him of putting his hand between her legs while she slept on the flight from Hawaii to Los Angeles, according to court documents obtained by KITV.
    GOP legislator quits over sex conviction (Honolulu Advertiser)
    Fox, a Republican who represents Waikiki, Ala Moana and Kaka'ako in the state House of Representatives, was convicted last month in federal court in Los Angeles. A misdemeanor carries a penalty of up to a year in jail, but Fox's attorney, Harland Braun, said Fox likely faces a fine and probation when he is sentenced early next year.
    Gotta say, few things in politics surprise me these days, but this was certainly unexpected. Interesting that the case was decided a while back (and he was arrested 10 months ago! Hello?), and only surfaced now. Looks like KITV was the first to break the story, but it seems odd that nobody picked it up earlier.

Re: Galen Fox Resigns

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Looks like KITV was the first to break the story, but it seems odd that nobody picked it up earlier.
    Not just odd, but extremely odd. 11 months and not a peep about it in the news. You'd think maybe some of the flight crew would've tipped off the press, or told a friend who would've passed it along, or something.
    Only thing I can figure is that Galen Fox isn't the most recognizable name in Hawai`i politics, and perhaps nobody realized the story they had on their hands.
    I understand that up until this situation he had a really good reputation. Darned shame that he messed up.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      Not just odd, but extremely odd.
      I have to concur, I'm extremely perplexed why this was not
      public knowledge sooner.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

It is amazing that he was able to keep it a secret for so long. I could have sworn I'd heard about this before, so I did a little creative Googling and came upon this article from August 5, 2005:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...5/ai_n14869432

A man from Arizona, US was sentenced on Thursday (4 August) to a seven-year jail term by a US court for molesting a female passenger on a Delta Air Lines flight travelling from Dallas to Boston.

The assailant, Deepak Jahagirdar, was convicted in April this year of sexually assaulting the sleeping woman who was seated next to him on the flight. The victim was able to flee to the rear of the aircraft to alert the cabin crew who immediately raised the alarm with four Secret Service agents who were travelling on the flight.
        So then I thought, "Wow, is this really that common?" and came across this:

"Sexual assault on airplanes more common than realized"

http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/ne...airplanes.html

30 reported assaults on Delta passengers in a one year period isn't exactly an epidemic, but it's still creepy stuff.

Comment

I have to echo Lee Cataluna's opinion here. It's just plain uji.

Comment

I'll bet he must be thinking, "gee if I'd have known I'd be charged with groping, I shoulda really got my money's worth and go for the gold".

At least he admitted groping to whatever extent he believed he did so. As for keeping it private, this isn't something you would want to tell everyone about.

To me the word "groping" takes on this image of someone literally massaging the heck out of someone's anatomy. From what was said, it sounded more like inappropriate touching. And that can happen quite accidently in such close quarters as airline seats. Geez I've had women squeeze past me in an after Thanksgiving sale at Macy's using their boobs as battering rams to get thru, and they weren't even firm boobs

I guess it's a matter of perspective. At least he did the politically correct thing by admitting he did something perceived as groping and stepped down instead of fighting this out.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig -- did you read the Star-Bulletin article?

The woman testified that Fox apparently unfastened the button and zipper of her jeans, and she awoke to find his hand inside her jeans and groping her, Goswami said.
              See, now I'd say that qualifies as groping. Hard to imagine how you'd get into such a position just by sitting too close to somebody on an airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

The woman testified that Fox apparently unfastened the button and zipper of her jeans, and she awoke to find his hand inside her jeans and groping her, Goswami said.
                See, now I'd say that qualifies as groping. Hard to imagine how you'd get into such a position just by sitting too close to somebody on an airplane.
                If he was an attorney, he might've said that he inadvertently thought he was reaching into his briefcase.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Craig -- did you read the Star-Bulletin article?

Glen Glen Glen...haven't you ever heard of the Mile High club? I'm still at the Sea level club

Wow something told me this morning at the McDonald's drive thru to pick up an issue of the SB. I picked up the Advertiser instead. Nothing in that rag that mentioned that level of groping.

Now I've dated women who wore jeans and I'd sure like to know Fox's technique on unbuttoning and unzippering a woman's pair of jeans while she's seated. My ex-girlfriend literally had to lie down on the floor and suck her gut in to get that pants up and she wasn't fat at all!

But I can imagine getting into such a position if she was a bit overweight and had to unbutton that fly so she could digest that less than stellar airline food.

My question is that in the Advertiser, she was admitted as saying that she had her seatbelt on! How can you unbutton and unzip a seated person's pair of jeans while the seatbelt is still firmly (as they instruct in the in case this plane crashes into the sea instructions) buckled around her waist...right around where the fly should be?

Unless you undo your fly then buckle up loosely? If that's the case I can see a bit of teasing there. Especially if she's wearing some high quality twine (ahh that thong thread is invading my mind!!!) visible for a high level Republican to see.
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; November 2, 2005, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    the seatbelt is still firmly (as they instruct in the in case this plane crashes into the sea instructions) buckled around her waist
                    Actually - they say it should be "low and tight across your hips." Note the next time you wear a seatbelt on a plane; it tends to be slightly below where your pants are buttoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      Actually - they say it should be "low and tight across your hips." Note the next time you wear a seatbelt on a plane; it tends to be slightly below where your pants are buttoned.

Hmmm...I guess I slouch a lot

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        Hmmm...I guess I slouch a lot
                        Hey - whatever makes you fly more comfortably...
                        Isn't this whole story just a summation of American life - trying to keep politicians out of your pants?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                          Hey - whatever makes you fly more comfortably...
                          Isn't this whole story just a summation of American life - trying to keep politicians out of your pants?

Why is it the White older politicians that get caught with their pants down? Ted Kennedy, Bill Clinton, Gary Hart, and now Galen Fox.

Comment

Working...
                          X