Honolulu's 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu's 100

I just saw the list of Honolulu's 100 "notables" and I agree with the Advertiser's Bob Krauss. Why so many surfers and entertainers? Did these people really put the city on the map?

oh well....Have a nice weekend everybody!
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Honolulu's 100

According to the link, the people on the list were chosen by the general public and some committe. I can't help but wonder who comprised the committee and how/why these particular committee members were chosen. And how many people here in the general public actually submitted names?

Too many unanswered questions, IMO...

Comment

The committee was obviously fairly young. Very few people from even the first half of the 20th century, much less the latter half of the 19th. Mom and I have both been grousing about it.

I read/heard somebody say we must have the most influential disk jockeys in the world. Aku? Perry/Price? C'mon!
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        I read/heard somebody say we must have the most influential disk jockeys in the world. Aku? Perry/Price? C'mon!
        Maybe that's "per capita."

Comment

Wait a minute. I understand the problem some of you have with this list, but don't forget that Aku was in the Guinness Book of World Records for some time, and there's no question that Perry and Price have helped shaped Honolulu. When something huge is happening, where do you turn? Perry and Price. Every time. Remember Hurricane Iniki? When a group had an announcement to make about closing school or staying home from work, it called Perry and Price that morning, and that's all, because that was all anyone needed. It was assumed, and with good reason, that everyone was listening to KSSK. And what they did with that cell phone "posse" in the early days of cellular phones' ubiquity was brilliant, and there wasn't really a model yet for that kind of use of the technology.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv, it's like all these lists. Since it's got a finite number of spots, there are arguments about who got left off and who got put on. I agree with your reasoning, but there are others who were slighted.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
              I agree with your reasoning, but there are others who were slighted.
              Excellent. Let's hear about them. I haven't taken a look at the list myself, but I'm sure I'll think of ten who should replace whoever is on. Yes, I think I'll do that.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The opening paragraph specifies "100 Honolulu residents who have made a significant contribution to the city, its life and culture."

-where are the Chinese notables, like Chun Afong? He was Hawai'i first Chinese milionaire, lived in Nu'uanu, and owned the only non-Big-5 sugar plantation (which pissed off the Big 5).

-and instead of naming a few ali'i, give credit where its due:
                King Lunalilo: Lunalilo Homes
                Queen Emma: Queens Medical Center
                Queen Kapi'olani: Kapi'olani Hospital
                Queen Lili'uokalani: QLCC
                Princess Puahi: KS
                Prince Kuhio: Department of Hawaiian Homes Lands

Their individual contributions and lasting legacies outranks nearly the whole list. Just because they were ali'i they have earned individual merit as much as anyone. Anyone know of anyone who has NOT benefitted directly or indirectly by the list above? Personally, I don't think that strumming an ukulele or a piano or other machinations of local pop culture should dare compare.

pax

Comment

hey friend the link doesn't work
                  i can't see it

"EXPLORING HAWAI'I PARKLANDS"
                  click here

Comment

Try This Link.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941