X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hānaiāhuhu - Family Pets!

Do you have a beloved family pet?

Dog? Cat? Pot Belly Pig? Octopus?

Are they your favorite companion? Like family? Hunter?

Any stories to share about your bond with them? Heartbreak? Were they your saving grace in time of despair or in an emergency?

------------------------------------------------

We have Shih Tzu Dogs, which are just as much a part of our family as flesh and blood. Love 'em!

We also have a salt water pond full of Piranha-like Talapia. Throw bread in the water and they go into a feeding frenzy beyond horror movie belief.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hānaiāhuhu

We have 2 popoki, Shimai and Ku'u Hoku 'Alohi. Shimai (supposedly it means "last one" in Japanese, according to my Dad) was named thusly because he was the last of his litter of 5 to be adopted. He is now a 20 lb + behemoth whose main preoccupations are sleeping, foraging for food (obviously a mutant gene from his alley cat ancestors) and picking on Hoku. He's more like a dog in a cat suit.

Hoku was given that name because after my first cat died, I knew that I would get another cat, and that that cat's name would be Hoku, in honor of Hokulei'a. When I first saw Hoku's picture, the caption below it said the shelter had named her "Star". Knowing that "Star" in Hawaiian is Hoku, I knew she was destined to join our family. She is a Diva, capital D emphasized.

We don't "own" Shimai or Hoku, they own us!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Hānaiāhuhu

"Popoki".. our Shih Tzu's know that word! Drives 'em nuts. They just hate cats. Basic instinct I suppose.

Cat in Hawaiian is "Popoki", dog is "ilio".

Cat in Japanese is "Neko", dog is "Inu".

My hanai aunty named her two dogs by their colors: "Shiro" which is the color WHITE in Japanese and "Kuro", which is BLACK in Japanese.

That would be another interesting discussion. What's in your pet's name?

I had a dog a while back named "Pumehana", which means "warm and affectionate". Which she was.

My mother used to own a pure breed poodle named "Jolie". She was named and given to mom from Henry Kaiser's wife way back when. When Jolie died of age and terminal arthritis, she cried for days.

We've learned that the best way to deal with a pet's death is to IMMEDIATELY replace it with a new one (puppy for example). The loss will kill you emotionally otherwise. Seriously. Don't loath. Just get a new one.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Hānaiāhuhu - Family Pets!

I had two male guinea pigs, Kalua and Maui they were best friends ,but because of being with females the best friends turned on each other. They fought all the time so we had to separate them. BTW... we kept them on a thrid floor balcony. Well one day kalua was getting some air on the balcony, Maui jumped out of his house and the two fought. Before we knew it they rolled off three floors to the ground. Sadly, they both passed away.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Salt Water Aquarium

I used to rent a beach house down Kualoa, where we had a small salt water aquarium. Interestingly the chemical balance of the tank maintained rather well considering all we did was recycle new sea water from the ocean in our back yard.

We used to go out at low tide and grab all kinds of neat creatures from the tide pools and put 'em in there.

At one time we kept Candy Cane Shrimp, a 7-Eleven Crab, Baby Octopus and baby Morey Eel. What was cool was we had this hollow skull decoration at the bottom that the Eel would hide in. Whenever it got hungry, it would snake out of the skull eye.. that looked so evil-kind-of-cool! It tried time after time to take the Octopus out, but never succeeded. Fortunately the Octopus never INKED out the tank. Maybe it was too young? Not one fish survived the wrath of that Eel though.

Sadly, while we were at work one day, the LIVE incandescent light suspended from the hood somehow hood came loose and fell into the water. Electrocuted EVERYTHING in the tank. Man we were bummed.

If I had that tank today, I probably would name the Octopus "Squidward", the Eel "Spongebob" (becuase he always irked the Octopus), the crab "Mr. Crabs" and the Shrimp "Patrick" (since it seemed kinda' lolo).
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I am owned by a 7-year old Senegal parrot named Lani Girl. She is a true tita-sweet and sassy but no get on her mean side or she going BITE you! She doesn't talk much but she loves to laugh, whistle and imitate various household noises such as the microwave beep, creaky doors, phone, etc. She loves to dunk her food in her water dish('parrot soup'--uji... ), snuggle under my chin, hang upside down from the top of her cage, and investigate whatever her human Mom is doing.

Comment

The common thread I see among this thread is that most people are "owned" by their pets. I'm no exception. I'm also owned by my cat. Simpson, as she is named, is the queen of my household, and seldom do I dare challange her authority. She's pretty vocal in letting her feelings be known, and when she wants something, she is never at a loss for meows in getting her point across in order to get it, be it breakfast, a treat, getting brushed, or her desire to snuggle.

Simpson, according to cat experts, has a "brindled" coat, and is also "polydactyl"; i.e., she has an extra "toe" on each foot. She's originally a stray from Key West, Florida. While she admits that she misses the warm winters of Key West, in contrast to the rather cold ones she experiences in RI, she can handle winter as long as she is provided with lots of fleece blankets placed in front of her favorite sunning window. She is also the loudest purring cat I've ever known.

Simpson was once the subject of a photo essay in the local newspaper of the town I live in. She has stated that she might like to give living in Hawaii at shot someday, just as long as she gets the fast track through the rabies screening by the HI Dept. of Ag. She's been an indoor cat for all the time I've had her, and she has no desire to be an "outdoor" cat again.

She will be well taken care of during my upcoming trip home to HI.

Comment

I have 2 dogs which I rescued. My oldest dog, now 9 years old, I bought from the Humane Society. My youngest dog, now 1 years old, came from the Big Island.

My youngest dog is a min pin and her name is Peanut. She is a WILD one, I can see why her previous owner’s could not handle her. They were gonna throw her in the dump! I am struggling with her. She always needs attention. Always eating or chewing up something! My husband is almost at his last wits with her but I am still holding on.

My oldest dog is a mix and she is very loving. Though, strangers wouldn’t think so, she likes to bark at them..lol. A very good dog indeed. She loves to give hugs and knows not to walk on you! She doesn’t bark nearly as much as Peanut but they have taken a liking to each other.
                See Reny's Gallery For Great Stuff!

Comment

My wife and I adopted our Basenji-Terrier mix from my auntie's latest litter on a trip "back home" (for my wife, at least) a couple of years ago. Auntie has become one of those crazy old dog ladies who has allowed her once-beautiful home to be literally shredded by her dogs. The puppies were eight weeks old and we (okay, I) made a snap decision to take our favorite home with us. Ran around for a couple of days changing our flight (did you know Aloha doesn't transport pets?), getting her to a vet, and buying pet supplies. We couldn't decide on a name until we were at the doggie bakery/store at Ward Warehouse and saw a sample item they had with pet names on it. We saw it at the same time and and simultaneously said "KOA"! Much better name than what my auntie calls her dogs: "Shut Up!" or "I'm going lick you!!"

Weirdest thing I ever brought back home from Hawaii, but she's definitely part of the family. Now after two years of being our baby she's had to adjust to being a big sister to our daughter, eleven weeks old today. She sometimes looks sad when we pay more attention to the new baby, but she's not jealous - she likes to lick her new sister.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                    I had two male guinea pigs, Kalua and Maui they were best friends ,but because of being with females the best friends turned on each other. They fought all the time so we had to separate them. BTW... we kept them on a thrid floor balcony. Well one day kalua was getting some air on the balcony, Maui jumped out of his house and the two fought. Before we knew it they rolled off three floors to the ground. Sadly, they both passed away.
                    Oh no! That's such a sad story!

I had a guinea pig for several years (I gave her to my mom when I moved to Hawaii) and sometimes I felt silly for feeling such a strong bond with a rodent-like creature. She'd squeak when I came in the door and since I lived alone she was my companion. She died of old age and I haven't had any pets since. I'd like to have pets again someday, but my living situation (no pets allowed) doesn't allow it. Then again, I'd really like to have horses again someday, and that's not going to be easy here in Hawaii!

Comment

Our beloved family pets are two Bengal cats, Rishi and Frankie. They are opposites in many ways, both physically and personality-wise. I often joke that if we could somehow combine the two together we'd have the perfect cat! I'm currently training them to go on walks like dogs do on a leash (it's going well--until we encounter dogs. ), and soon I will see if I can get them to sit on command. This breed has many dog-like characteristics (they like to play in water, for one), so some of my dog-loving friends have come to grudgingly admit Rishi and Frankie are pretty cool. Right now they are 13 lbs at 1 yr old, and they still have two years more of growing to do! I hope they don't go beyond 15 lbs, but their dad was 20lbs of pure muscle, so we'll see.

Anywho, can't imagine life without 'em now...everybody stares when they encounter these two for the first time. I attached a pic of them, sorry it isn't very good. Rishi is the brown spotted leopard one, and Frankie is the marble white one.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by AbsolutChaos; November 10, 2005, 06:59 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Reny]
                        My youngest dog is a min pin and her name is Peanut. She is a WILD one, I can see why her previous owner’s could not handle her. They were gonna throw her in the dump! I am struggling with her. She always needs attention. Always eating or chewing up something! My husband is almost at his last wits with her but I am still holding on.
                        QUOTE]

Good for you, Reny. I'm sure she'll settle down in time. You might try giving her something good to chew, like a kong toy or a treat ball that will keep her busy for awhile. Also, there are some good herbal calming remedies that might help while she adjusts to her home. Good luck. You are a good human for taking care of her.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                          Our beloved family pets are two Bengal cats, Rishi and Frankie. ---- This breed has many dog-like characteristics (they like to play in water, for one)
                          My mother used to own a Himalayan Persian cat. A gorgeous cat in an ugly way. Long, silky white hair, but the face was flat. It didn't have a prominent muzzle like your typical alley cat. Big green spooky-lookin' eyes. Like a demon.

Definately opposite of dogs in every way. In fact, it hated dogs with a passion.

Mom attempted to bath that cat a few times then gave up. It scratched the hell out of her forearms as she tried to hold in in the water. We're talkin' BLOOD. That cat went totally ballistic when it felt the water.

And like many cats, it only came to you when it wanted something. That sounds familiar for some reason.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                            My mother used to own a Himalayan Persian cat. A gorgeous cat in an ugly way. Long, silky white hair, but the face was flat. It didn't have a prominent muzzle like your typical alley cat. Big green spooky-lookin' eyes. Like a demon.

Definately opposite of dogs in every way. In fact, it hated dogs with a passion.

Mom attempted to bath that cat a few times then gave up. It scratched the hell out of her forearms as she tried to hold in in the water. We're talkin' BLOOD. That cat went totally ballistic when it felt the water.

And like many cats, it only came to you when it wanted something. That sounds familiar for some reason.

I'm not a big fan of those snub-nosed cats. I don't care for that look at all, not to mention a lot of those cats suffer breathing problems due to being deliberately bred that way. I do adore our brown cat's big round green eyes, though...and the other one has big round blue eyes, hence his being named after ol' Frankie blue eyes.

One of the reasons I like cats is because they are independent. They aren't as needy as dogs. I can leave cats for a weekend and not worrry about them because they can amuse themselves and don't have to be let outside to go bathroom or go on walks. Just provide 'em enough food and water and they're good to go! They might show their displeasure at you leaving them by snubbing you for a while upon your return, but soon they are purring and being friendly again once you show enough apologies.

I'm kinda cynical I guess, so I tend to think a lot of people only come to you when they want something from you anyway...hence I think I can understand cats better because they are very people-like and teenager-like that way. There are no illusions with them. They don't hide their needs behind a facade of false friendliness. Either they like ya or they don't. Our two happen to like people and want to hang out in whatever room people are in. They love staring at our neighbors (as long as they aren't dragging the scary rumbly garbage can monster behind them!) and they often try to get into the neighbors' houses when we take them on walks because they want to look around and meet people. No back-stabbing with cats. Dogs just seem either overly friendly or overly mean...but I respect dogs for what they are. To each their own preference!

Our two cats, we actually fill the tub with an inch or two of water for them and put some toys in there and they go in there and play like babies in the water, just splashin' away...we made the mistake of leaving a soapy sponge in the kitchen sink once, and we came home to find a trail of soap bubbles thorughout the house, ending at the soapy sponge on the complete opposite side of the house. Who knew cats could clean floors?

Our dead-end quiet street is very cat-friendly. One of the neighbors has a goose who used to be best friends with a Siamese, so when the Siamese died, the goose was heartbroken--until the neighbor brought home some hampsters for her to mother instead. We haven't had a chance to introduce the goose to our cats yet...though there's plenty of interest on our cats' sides. There's also a dog who lives on the street and always tries to play with our cats when the cats are leashed and put outside. The cats don't understand the dog's attempts to play though...guess it's a lot like communication between men and women!
                            Last edited by AbsolutChaos; November 12, 2005, 09:02 AM.

Comment

One of the reasons I like cats is because they are independent. They aren't as needy as dogs.
                              I totally agree. Hope I didn't come off as a cat hater. I certainly like them too. Used to have one that I was very close to. Got her from the Humane Society.

Cats are certainly independent, and I like how they can keep themselves clean by licking themselves! Their acrobatic ability is amazing. Mom's Persian used to walk on the outside edge of her high rise balcony (12 stories up). Nuts.

Our Shih Tzu's on the other hand are high maintenance to the max. Like little kids. Really. We have to constantly give them attention. And they're each so jealous about who gets more of this or that - food, affection, whatever. And if we don't bath them every week, they smell like a dirty rug.

But at the same token, Shih Tzu's are very human like, which has a special charm about 'em.

The cats don't understand the dog's attempts to play though...guess it's a lot like communication between men and women!
                              So true.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X