"Show me the water"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Show me the water"

If all the County Councils in Hawai'i established rules for developers that required development to be contingent on availability of sufficient sources of water, among other things, that might help slow down the rampant growth.

"...Concern that Hawai'i's limited water resources are being overtapped has prompted separate legislation on Maui and O'ahu to limit developers' access to sources of drinking water.

One of the proposed measures would restrict golf course development, and the other would require large-scale projects to obtain verification of water availability....

"...Councilman Dain Kane of Wailuku is proposing county legislation that would require developers, at an early stage in the approval process, to get written verification from the Maui water director that a "long-term reliable source of water" is available for their projects.

Kane said his proposal would change Maui's longstanding planning and land-use policies that he claims have allowed growth to dictate water development. "It's always been up to the water department to find new sources to accommodate development," he said.

Instead, according to Kane, the availability of water should be informing land-use and planning decisions.

Kane said he purposely submitted a proposed ordinance that does not contain a lot of specifics, including the definition of "long-term reliable supply of water" and how big projects would have to be before they are subject to the verification requirement. However, he said, small family subdivisions would be exempt...."

I've always contended that most developers of large tracts have no concern about whether their developments have access to sufficient infrastructure (specifically, available water, solid waste disposal and adequate traffic planning and public transportation). All they care about is developing the property, selling the units, making their profits and skidaddling out of town.

If each County government placed a requirement on golf courses to only use water that is tagged for agricultural use only, that would also save lots of potable water for use by people. If the County departments that issue construction permits could make as part of the application process, a procedure for developers to prove that there would be adequate provisions for water, waste disposal and traffic, it might make some developers think twice, because it would be incumbent upon the developer to make the infrastructure improvements before they could build.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: "Show me the water"

Originally posted by Miulang
    "...Concern that Hawai'i's limited water resources are being overtapped..."

I've always contended that most developers of large tracts have no concern about whether their developments have access to sufficient infrastructure (specifically, available water, solid waste disposal and adequate traffic planning and public transportation). All they care about is developing the property, selling the units, making their profits and skidaddling out of town.
    I think it's great that something in this direction is happening. Especially since "we're" not truly sure that our water is sufficient for the amount of people and land use needs presently in place. A few years of smaller amounts of rain and...
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: "Show me the water"

Some one's gonna have to do a rain dance. Ah Menehune Man are you up for it?
      A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Working...
      X