UH and its kuleana to the kanaka maoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UH and its kuleana to the kanaka maoli

The University of Hawai'i created a Masters' level degree program in Hawaiian studies this year. There are now more students enrolled in Hawaiian studies and Hawaiian language classes than ever before.

The UH announced that it is merging the 2 separate departments into one combined department and will be raising private funding for its own new building on campus.

This really is exciting news for the State and for the kanaka maoli because it means there will be more opportunities for people to understand and help preserve the culture. Thus begins the second Renaissance for the kanaka maoli.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: UH and its kuleana to the kanaka maoli

Besides a job in education what kind of high paying job could a person with a Hawaiian studies master's degree get?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
      Besides a job in education what kind of high paying job could a person with a Hawaiian studies master's degree get?
      Most of the people in the graduate school already have degrees in more "useful" occupations, I'm sure. What will be interesting to see is how they are able to integrate their "Hawaiian-ness" into their business lives. If they move to the Mainland, it might be a little more difficult, but it could very well be that as these students take their place in the business and educational worlds in Hawai'i, that some of the kanaka maoli ways they are learning (which really, to me, are common sense things...like respect for the land and taking care of it, humility and respect towards others, etc.) will help preserve the things that really are unique about Hawai'i.

I'm sure the students in both the Hawaiian studies and Hawaiian language programs are not necessarily aspiring to be CEOs of any companies or aiming for high paying jobs; they are doing it more because they are returning to their "roots", which is not a bad thing at all. I respect them for wanting to immerse themselves in their heritage; it's something that I regret not having done earlier in my life.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Other than as a "stepping stone" to bigger and better things (like a Ph.D. in a closely-related field), a master's degree in Hawaiian studies isn't particularly useful in the job market. However, for some people, education is about more than simply training for a high-paying job.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

This is the reason why the grad students in the Hawaiian studies program are so critical to the sustainability of the Hawaiian language and culture:

"...A group of 15 graduate students at the University of Hawai'i-Manoa refuses to be dissuaded by the obstacles facing Hawaiian immersion programs.

They are preparing themselves to become the next generation of educators committed to the preservation of Hawaiian language, culture and values.

Run through the College of Education, the Kupu Na Leo master's program will prepare these students to teach in immersion schools, charter schools and traditional public schools that serve large Native Hawaiian populations. With a strong research component, the program will also prepare students to create much-needed instructional materials....

"...One of the big needs in the immersion programs is fluent Hawaiian special education and specialized secondary teachers, so that students do not have to have some educational services in English.

Kawika Shizuma wants to teach high school science and is undaunted by the lack of Hawaiian-language teaching materials. "I'm looking forward to developing some science curriculum related to Hawaiian culture," he said.

'Anela Nacapoy plans to meet one of those needs by becoming a speech pathologist.

She said she and the rest of the program's students feel the weight of their responsibilities as the next generation to concentrate on elevating the status of Native Hawaiians in the public schools...."

Miulang

Comment

What jobs are there for people with any kind of cultural-studies degrees? (Seriously - not asking with frivolity or disrespect.)

Besides teaching, does anyone here on HT (or anyone you know) use a cultural/ethnic studies degree for their jobs? Museum curatorial staff? Author? Art or antiquities dealer? Diplomat?

Comment

My cousin graduated from the UH's Hawaiian studies program and is a teacher. He always told me that the Hawaiian language is very hard to understand because a lot of people can translate the words (like they teach in the schools), but only a Master can truely speak it. An example is two old men from Ni'ihau spoke to his class, they all assumed they were talking about the ocean as they translated, but the kupuna were actually talking about a pretty girl. I guess a Masters program can make you a true "master" in the culture.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

My cousin graduated from the UH's Hawaiian studies program and is a teacher. He always told me that the Hawaiian language is very hard to understand because a lot of people can translate the words (like they teach in the schools), but only a Master can truely speak it. An example is two old men from Ni'ihau spoke to his class, they all assumed they were talking about the ocean as they translated, but the kupuna were actually talking about a pretty girl. I guess a Masters program can make you a true "master" in the culture.
                It's unlikely that 36 semester hours of coursework at UH will make anyone a true "master" of the Hawaiian language or culture, but it's a start.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Working...
                X