Ikea here I come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ikea here I come!

Well, the first Ikea in MA is having their grand opening this morning! My daughter, granddaughter and I plan to be there to shop and eat! This new store is located in Stoughton, just south of Boston. Whenever we go to the Ikea in CT we have to usually stay overnight to avoid the traffic rush coming home! Now we don't have to stay overynight since the store is closer!
    Lovena

Re: Ikea here I come!

I just got back and what a great time we had! Yes, it was packed when we arrived there at 10am! I had a map and no text directions. So we just kinda swung it and got off the first exit that said "Stoughton" and glad we did. If we had gone further down, abouts the next two exits, we would've hit so much traffic!

Boston channel 7 & 5 news were there too. We might be on our local Channel 5 news (ABC) tonight. I'm the one pushing a pink baby carriage and waving to the camera!

I did find what I wanted....finally!!! Its one of those Nyland brand shoe cabinet. I had seen those 2 years ago when staying with husband's friend from work. They shop at Ikea there in Germany and I wanted a Nyland cabinet. The both times I had gone down to the Ikea in CT they were out of the cabinets. So I knew that this brand new Ikea would be fully stocked....and they were!!

The place was PACKED! But everyone was so polite saying 'excuse me' or 'sorry' when bumping into one another. There were many police officers present as well as emergency vehicles and personnel. At the checkout some folks were lucky! Every few minutes a loud whistle would sound and the employees would shout to get everyone's attention. Then they spun a wheel with "register numbers" on them. When the wheel stopped spinning, the number that the pointer was on was the winning register. While I was checking out register number 10 won. Whoever was on register 10 got their order for FREE!!

We were parked in Costco's parking lot and they had a tent out there offering free day passes. We took advantage of that and had lunch there as well.

I took a photo of the southbound traffic on Rt 24 as we were leaving northbound....

Lovena

Comment

Some Providence radio stations, during their morning traffic reports, made indirect note of the IKEA opening. They didn't say specifically what store was opening, but they did note that traffic was going to be exceptionally heavy at certain exits along 24, due to a new store opening.

Comment

What's kind of ironic here in Seattle is that directly across from the Ikea store is another new furniture store called Mor. Going to Ikea is an expedition...always tons of people and the sneaky way they lay out their floorspace...making you wind your way throughout the whole store (virtually impossible for you to make a straight line from point A to point B) guarantees that you're going to find something you didn't need but that somehow managed to hop into your shopping cart anyway! (Kinda like at Costco, only pricier).

Their Swedish meatballs with lingonberry sauce are supposed to be the bomb, too, and reasonably priced.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There are 3 stores I wish we had on Oahu...Ikea, Trader Joe's and Target, in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            There are 3 stores I wish we had on Oahu...Ikea, Trader Joe's and Target, in that order.
            You don't really need Ikea in Hawai'i, although I could see good reasons for having TJs and Target. TJs has been asked regularly over the years why they don't expand to Hawai'i (they're in Arizona, CA, WA at least). And they've said it would cost too much money to ship goods over there to stock their shelves. Funny, because sometimes at the stores up here, the workers will be dressed in tropical print shirts and wearing fake lei, and we can buy Bird of Paradise and protea fresh cut flowers.

You need a Target to offset WM. Target has better quality items and more of a sense of humor about itself than WM.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The prime reason you can't get a Trader Joe's in Hawai`i ---

If you did, where would all the Island visitors to Seattle go to get their omiyage to bring back home?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                You don't really need Ikea in Hawai'i,[...]
                The want might be stronger than the need. However, with Ikea's prices and selection it would offer an option I don't think exists here.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  The want might be stronger than the need. However, with Ikea's prices and selection it would offer an option I don't think exists here.
                  Agreed. I've actually never lived near an Ikea, but I used to live near places like Oak Express which had decent furniture at good prices. I like my furniture to be 1) attractive, 2) affordable, and 3) durable. Seems like I can only get 2 of the 3 with the current options on the island.

I really, really miss Target too.

Comment

In addition to the Nyland Shoe cabinet I also picked up some gift wrap and a wooden cutlery holder that I use as a spice bottle holder. But I didn't get meatballs!!! Arg! I got myself a tin of Ginger snaps, Gille Oat cookies and some caramel candies but forgot to pick up some swedish meatballs!

In yesterday's news about the Ikea opening there was a short clip of me, my daughter and granddaughter walking up the road to Ikea. We were the "happy invaders braving the cold" to come shop at Ikea!
                    Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics
                      In yesterday's news about the Ikea opening there was a short clip of me, my daughter and granddaughter walking up the road to Ikea. We were the "happy invaders braving the cold" to come shop at Ikea!
                      You know, I bet I saw you but I didn't know it. I watched Ch. 7 in Boston and Ch. 10 in Providence report the IKEA opening..man..has ever a store opening received so much press? I imagine WBZ had to have been in on the act, along with 5, 7, and 10, as well. I'm going to have to make my way to Stoghton and see what the ado is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                        You know, I bet I saw you but I didn't know it. I watched Ch. 7 in Boston and Ch. 10 in Providence report the IKEA opening..man..has ever a store opening received so much press? I imagine WBZ had to have been in on the act, along with 5, 7, and 10, as well. I'm going to have to make my way to Stoghton and see what the ado is all about.
                        If you do make it to Stoughton, DON'T FORGET THE MEATBALLS (and lingonberry sauce)!

Miulang

Comment

Oh god, I love Ikea, that Scandinavian look is so cool and clean. And yes, the meatballs!! Yummy!!!

Trader Joe's just rocks too and I always take my time looking at everything and buying way too much, but it is soooo worth it. They have really cool seasonal items too, like the best cocoa dusted chocolate truffles i've ever eaten.

Target has cool household stuff too, although their dvd's can be a little pricey. I never go to Wal-Mart, that store stinks and looks so seedy. Blech!! It's drenched in loser dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            If you do make it to Stoughton, DON'T FORGET THE MEATBALLS (and lingonberry sauce)!

Miulang
                            Now I can understand buying perhaps lingonberry sauce and preserves at a place like IKEA...I imagine they have some sort of small gourmet section with a selection of Scandanavian foodstuffs..but what's this about meatballs? Is that something they (IKEA) are known for? Are they sold in cans, like the 5 pound cans of Portuguese chorizo I see for sale when I'm in Honolulu? Or do they have some sort of Costco style food court, where one can get a meatball "grinder" with lingonberry sauce and soda for mea iki?

Comment

IKEA stores have a small cafeteria, where you can buy salads, sandwiches, and Swedish meatballs, to eat on the premises.

Comment

Working...
                              X