PDA

View Full Version : Farrell's returning! Woo hoo!

Erika Engle
November 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I was so excited to be able to report this!
I normally don't post my own links to my reporting (seems like boasting, or something), but I know lotsa folks will be excited to see this, so I wanted to share.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/11/business/engle.html

Linkmeister
November 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM
How's it go? Oh, yeah...

WoooT!

EastCoastTropics
November 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM
OMG!! That's AWESOME!!!

Hope to be there next fall and if they're open, gonna plan to eat there! Maybe I'll tell them it's my burfday so that they can beat the drum and put the siren on! :D :D :D

dick
November 11th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I remember my sister used to be a server at the Maui Mall Farrell's. One time when there was a Zoo ordered I got to pound on the bass drum while all hell broke loose in the place. A highlight in my strange life...

I wish I still had my fake straw hat from the place...

1stwahine
November 11th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I can't wait to take my grandson! I cant wait to eat a Trough. :D

Fun, fun, fun! ;)

Auntie Lynn

Reny
November 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM
OMG!!! *faints*

Farrells! YAY..YAY... Better start saving money now..lol
I haven't celebrated my birthday in years. This was the last place -- in Waikiki! I remember the stairs leading up to a huge tree. I was around 8 I think. Its gonna be so awesome to take my 3 kids there.

yay...yay :D

pzarquon
November 11th, 2005, 03:10 PM
There was also a Farrell's at Kahala Mall, according to message board posters recalling small-kid-time birthday parties there.Hee! I know Farrell's was invoked more than once on HawaiiStories (http://www.hawaiistories.com/archives/004748.shtml), as well as here (most recently in the Business Memories (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6897) thread). Neat news! And it might be a good shot in the arm for Windward Mall, which hasn't had a "draw" for a while. I think a big noisy birthday party would most certainly be worth the drive!

I only remember the Farrell's at Ala Moana, and the event I remember most wasn't my birthday, but that of a classmate - a blonde girl I had a crush on (c'mon, I was in the first grade!). I can still hear the pounding of that drum... or was it my little heart?

Kalihiboy
November 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Okay would anyone care to run by each Farrell's location on Oahu and what is in its place these days? I did not know there was one in Waikiki.

I'd even be interested to know where the Kauai location was as well!!

Thanks!

KalihiBoy

cezanne
November 11th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Okay would anyone care to run by each Farrell's location on Oahu and what is in its place these days? I did not know there was one in Waikiki.

I'd even be interested to know where the Kauai location was as well!!

Thanks!

KalihiBoy

Across the street from Windward Mall is Time's Coffee Shop. On that spot, there used to be a lounge called Honey's "the original home of Don Ho". Anyway, they razed that and built a Farrell's late '70s. When Farrell's left, various restaurants used the same building, the latest being TCS.

I went to Windward Mall today, looks like they're gonna have an IHOP too.

zztype
November 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM
There was a Farrell's in Pearlridge, too, in the early '70s. It was in the current location of Taco Bell/Pizza Hut by the center entrance on the lower level of Phase I or "Uptown."

I still have a whole pile of Trough ribbons from back then. We used to go and order Troughs for everyone, then would RACE to see who could eat it the fastest! I was champ: 1:30.

Woot, indeed!! I can't wait to take my kid there!

tutusue
November 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I think...no guarantees, tho'...that there was a Farrells in Kahala Mall, ewa side, across from Patty's Chinese Kitchen. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If it wasn't a Farrells it was another ice cream/kids type place...late 1970s.

lurkah
November 11th, 2005, 09:04 PM
I think...no guarantees, tho'...that there was a Farrells in Kahala Mall

Someone else recently mentioned in another thread about the Kahala Mall Farrell's I remember being located at the makai side entrance where Pizza Hut is now.

zztype
November 11th, 2005, 10:00 PM
SUGGESTION!

When the new Farrell's open, let's set a date and time on a weekend afternoon and we all go meet over there! What you think?

Instead of a picnic or something, it could the the Hawaii Threads Ice Cream Pigout or something like that...

What you tink?

(Sorry East Coast, Lurkah, Miulang, Lika, odda mainland guys...)

lurkah
November 11th, 2005, 10:16 PM
SUGGESTION!

Wow Blaine, that sounds like a shaka suggestion, and a perfect fun and family-oriented venue for taking the kids along too.

(Sorry East Coast, Lurkah, Miulang, Lika, odda mainland guys...)I'm sure we won't mind as long as you can share some pics of the event. :D

scrivener
November 11th, 2005, 10:17 PM
That's a great idea, and you can mark me down as an attendee right now. I love ice cream, of course, but I'm not especially fond of it in huge quantities. However, I do have my own Farrells memories, too. Especially how you had to walk through the candy shop to get out, and we almost never got to get anything there. That was uncool.

I remember enormous rainbow-spiral lollipops and jawbreakers in many ridiculous sizes -- were the sizes named "baby," "mom," "dad," and "grandpa?" -- and how I swore that when I got older, I'd go there with my own money and get a huge jawbreaker.

You know, it saddens me to think of this. How I long for days when something like a jawbreaker could make me happy, or even the thought of someday having one. Right now, I have a stack of Rolling Stones that I haven't had time to read, and I remember when I had to save up for an issue of that same magazine, and how I'd read it so many times I practically had it memorized. That doesn't happen anymore. I am not sure I know what delayed gratification is, at least for little things like that, and I don't know if there's anything in my life I enjoy as much as I once enjoyed those magazines I saved up for and bought on the way home from school.

Someone buy me a double-scoop of coffee ice cream! :(

zztype
November 11th, 2005, 10:59 PM
You know, it saddens me to think of this. How I long for days when something like a jawbreaker could make me happy, or even the thought of someday having one.
Ho brah, get a grip. Step away from the schoolbooks!

I do stuff like that all the time! If i didn't, I'd lose me! I make it a point to stay a kid.

Drives my wife nuts sometimes, leaves her shaking her head... but when I go out with my kid, it's hard to tell sometimes which is the kid and which is the dad.

I guess your case is compounded by the fact that you don't have a kid. When you do, I promise, all that stuff will come back to you and you'll relive it along with your kid!

The Pricebusters stores have a gumball vending pinball machine full of jawbreakers. Drop a quarter and you get a jawbreaker. Use the flippers to hit the target with the rolling gumball and you get ANOTHER jawbreaker!!

My kid has braces now so he can't eat the jawbreakers, but I CAN! So I give him a quarter or two every time we go and he wins me double each time! He has fun, I have fun.

Then I jam the jawbreaker into my mouth and when my wife asks me something, I reply with the classic "*mbphph?*" Heehee!

Those mall candy stores with the little scoopers that sell candy by the pound also have jawbreakers in assorted sizes from "tiny" to "stupid." Whenever we go to Kahala Mall, the kid and I go in there and get goofy. I come out with two jawbreakers in my mouth and my cheeks bulging!

Wot? You tink I look stoopid? Ask me if I care what YOU think! :)

I give you permission: Go get nuts! Have some fun! Buckaloose sometimes!

Blaine

Pomai
November 11th, 2005, 11:40 PM
That's ironic that Farrell's is making their comeback in Kaneohe at Windward Mall.

Farrell's original Kaneohe location was just across the street on the corner of Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, at the entrance of Alii Shores - my stomping gounds.

After Farrell's closed, it became Smitty's.

Way-way-way before Farrell's constructed a new building (as in grass lands), it was Honey's. As in Honey Ho. Mother of Don Ho.

We celebrated quite a few birthdays at Farrell's. Fire Engine Siren Sundae Ice Cream!

Farrell's also had a location in Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Kalihiboy
November 12th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Was Farrell's at Ala Moana located at or near where Radio Shack/Champs/Lady Foot Locker/Software, Etc. is these days?

KalihiBoy

craigwatanabe
November 12th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Farrells Features Fabulous Foods and Fantastic Fountain Fantasies for Frolicking Funfilled Festive Families.

That was their tongue twister that when recited you were rewarded with a peppermint stick.

And yes Farrells was at the site of the Kahala Mall Pizza Hut...oh the memories :)

pzarquon
November 12th, 2005, 06:43 AM
When the new Farrell's open, let's set a date and time on a weekend afternoon and we all go meet over there! What you think? Instead of a picnic or something, it could the the Hawaii Threads Ice Cream Pigout or something like that... What you tink?I tink, "Shoots!" Count me and the family in.

Second quarter of next year? That could be June!

1stwahine
November 12th, 2005, 06:48 AM
My family too! Trough Contest ~ count me in! hahahahah! ;)

Auntie Lynn

helen
November 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Was Farrell's at Ala Moana located at or near where Radio Shack/Champs/Lady Foot Locker/Software, Etc. is these days?
I sort of remember it being on that side of the shopping center but I don't remember enough to say it was in that location.

Pomai
November 12th, 2005, 08:23 AM
SUGGESTION! When the new Farrell's open, let's set a date and time on a weekend afternoon and we all go meet over there! What you think?

Instead of a picnic or something, it could the the Hawaii Threads Ice Cream Pigout or something like that...

Count me in.

Definately have to set a date for someone's birthday. Perhaps on the birthdate of HAWAII THREADS!

We can all wear party hats and blow kazoos... then summon the fire engine siren birthday sundae!

Ryan is the founder of HT right? Perhaps bring an HT birthday gift for Ryan. Or we can all just pitch in to treat him and his family at the event. ;)

1stwahine
November 12th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Near to where Orange J. and the old Patties Chinese Kitchen was. ;)

Hang-out for lot's of MHS students back in dem days! :D

Make me hungry foa one French Dip Sandwich. Yummy!

Auntie Lynn

tutusue
November 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Someone else recently mentioned in another thread about the Kahala Mall Farrell's I remember being located at the makai side entrance where Pizza Hut is now.
Yep! That's where I remember it, too. Guess I see Kahala Mall situated a little different than it really is! I thought Longs was on the makai side. :rolleyes:

D'Alani
November 12th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Yep! That's where I remember it, too. Guess I see Kahala Mall situated a little different than it really is! I thought Longs was on the makai side. :rolleyes:

Hahaha...the way Kahala Mall is situated you are right because the makai side would be Kilauea Ave because Kahala beach is on that side. Where Pizza Hut is could be considered mauka because the back side of Diamond Head is on that side. So Kahala Mall might have two mauka sides.:rolleyes:

lurkah
November 12th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Hahaha...the way Kahala Mall is situated you are right because the makai side would be Kilauea Ave because Kahala beach is on that side. Where Pizza Hut is could be considered mauka because the back side of Diamond Head is on that side. So Kahala Mall might have two mauka sides.:rolleyes:

Okay, the way I see it, the Tower Records/Calif. Pizza side faces mauka (Maunalani Heights. Diamond Head Crater is actually makai as it abuts the ocean by the lookout and lighthouse) which would make the opposite Pizza Hut side makai, the Longs Drugs side faces Koko Head, and the Hunakai St. side faces Kaimuki-Ewa.

All this work making me hungry for one Trough! ;)

Pomai
November 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM

One of the reasons I avoid shopping malls like the plague. Way too confusing and over-crowded. Especially Pearlridge. What a nightmare.

I see the new Farrell's (http://www.farrellsusa.com) will be in the former site of Windward Mall McDonald's. Wonder why they closed? Or did they just move to a different location in th mall?

Anyone remember Marie Callender's restaurant (http://www.mcpies.com) in Windward Mall? They were located on the outside strip between Tilt and the former Liberty House (now Macy's). We never ate there.

tutusue
November 12th, 2005, 01:50 PM
[...] Anyone remember Marie Callender's restaurant (http://www.mcpies.com) in Windward Mall? They were located on the outside strip between Tilt and the former Liberty House (now Macy's). We never ate there.
Didn't know there was one in WM. I remember the one in Restaurant Row. I always liked Marie Callender's, even from my mainland days decades ago. I wonder why the chain didn't survive here.

cezanne
November 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Anyone remember Marie Callender's restaurant (http://www.mcpies.com) in Windward Mall? They were located on the outside strip between Tilt and the former Liberty House (now Macy's). We never ate there.

I think that's where International House of Pancakes is gonna be soon. If I'm not mistaken the same owners at the Maui IHOP are opening the new one at WM... I think that's Camile Velasco's parents... :confused:

I liked Marie Callender's cornbread.... yeah I'm a simple kinda man. :)

tutusue
November 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM
[...] I liked Marie Callender's cornbread.... yeah I'm a simple kinda man. :)
With the whipped honey butter? HEAVEN!!!

oggboy
November 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Okay, To All You People Out Dea, I Bet You Guy`s Never Even Know Had One Farrell`s In Maui Too! Fyi, I Was The Original Opener When The Maui Location Opened Up.
Bob Farrell, The Founder, Of Farrell`s Ice Cream Parlor Was On Hand To Open The Maui Location.
I Was Still In High School When I Started Working For Farrell`s And I Liked The Atmosphere, And The Decor. I Had Fun Working At The Maui Location. I Also Worked At The Pearlridge, Ala Moana, Also At The International Market Place, And The Kahala Mall.
Good To Know The Farrell`s Ice Cream Parlor Is Still Around. :)

1stwahine
November 12th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Hey oggboy! I wuz in High School too when I went to eat my first Trough! :p :D

Auntie Lynn

U'ilani
November 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Woo hoo! It will be open when I come home next summer. My favorite was the triple treat hot fudge sundae. What was weird, though, was that it only came with TWO little cups of hot fudge. What the heck??

I remember Farrells at Ala Moana being located near where the pancake restaurant used to be, and where, before that, the little kiddie ride center used to be--remember that? Long, long time ago.

Pomai
November 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM
This site (http://www.happyitis.biz/Locations/historiclocations.htm) (loosely) claims there was a Farrell's at the following Hawaii locations..

Pearlridge (Aiea)
Kahala Mall (Waialae/Kahala)
Ala Moana Center (Honolulu)
International Market Place (Waikiki)
:confused: Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center (Waikiki)
Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center (Kaneohe)
Maui Mall (Kahului)
:confused: Market Place at Coconut Plantation Market Place, Waipouli, Kauai

So far everyone here has verified all except: Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center and Market Place on Kauai. Can anyone verify if these two locations existed?

i-hungry
November 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I have fond memories of the place. But somehow I dread spoiling those memories by going back. One tends to see things differently as an adult and revisiting some of your childhood events can be disappointing.

Besides which, the ice cream is probably not as good as the higher quality stuff I ate after my keiki days. How am I going to eat a lot of junk ice cream? :rolleyes:

Pomai
November 14th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I have fond memories of the place. But somehow I dread spoiling those memories by going back. One tends to see things differently as an adult and revisiting some of your childhood events can be disappointing.

Besides which, the ice cream is probably not as good as the higher quality stuff I ate after my keiki days. How am I going to eat a lot of junk ice cream? :rolleyes:I hear you on that.

I used to chew cases of Fusen Japanese Bubble Gum in little league as a kid. How I loved that stuff back then!

When I recently tried it as an adult (thanks to ZZ Type), it wasn't very good. In fact, almost horrible.

Kids are so easy to please, unlike us more experienced adults.

Yet I hope you're wrong on that assumption. Farrell's was known for quality food and service. Hopefully the new Hawaii franchisee will maintain that standard.

AuntieNellieKulolo
November 15th, 2005, 02:55 AM
I still remember my 10th birthday party at Farrell's Kahala Mall-we got the Zoo and my friends gave me plenny Star Wars stuff and the K-Tel Disco Fire album(LP!) :D -bet someone can guess what year that was...

If they open sometime before Labor Day and I know early enough to buy a cheap ticket home I will be there! I was planning on coming back home for a couple of weeks next summer and this will be even more of an incentive!

craigwatanabe
November 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Maybe my taste buds were more mature than my age, but even as a kid I never really thought Farrell's foods were that great. Their ice cream menu was something to marvel at but again the richness wasn't as good as Dave's in Kapahulu with tons of butterfat.

You went to Farrell's mainly for the atmosphere. Really a fun place to have a birthday party or just to celebrate anything...but the food? Eh...was okay but nothing to write rave reviews on.

I guess living in East Honolulu we were spoiled with places like M&W Burgers (now dat was a great burger) and St. Louis Drive in, both on Waialae Avenue.

I went to Farrell's in Kahala Mall mainly for the treats. Lots of different candy sticks from the traditional Peppermint all the way to Rootbeer (my favorite).

cezanne
November 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM
With the whipped honey butter? HEAVEN!!!

Yes tutu... that's the one! Or the honey-cinnamon butter on top. :)

We should all go to Farrell's there for HT's birthday so they can get the free sundae with all the noise and commotion. :D

Pomai
November 15th, 2005, 06:16 PM
We should all go to Farrell's there for HT's birthday so they can get the free sundae with all the noise and commotion. :DMost definately.

According to Helen, Hawaii Threads made 1 year old on Saturday, April 9, 2005. Is this correct?

If so, that means HT will make 2 years old on Sunday, April 9, 2006. During the weekend... PERFECT! :cool:

tutusue
November 15th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Yes tutu... that's the one! Or the honey-cinnamon butter on top. :)

We should all go to Farrell's there for HT's birthday so they can get the free sundae with all the noise and commotion. :D
Ooooh...I never had the honey butter with cinnamon. OMG, double heaven!

As long as gas prices aren't back up to $3.60/gal. I'm up for a trek to the windward side for a scoop of ice cream and some birthday cheer. All I need to do is get my passport updated! :D

Pomai
November 15th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Surfin' around a bit, I came across this great site...

http://www.colddeadfish.net/restrevs/farrells041203.html

These folks account their experience as adults visiting a then-new Farrell's in California that opened in 2002. Lots of great pictures and word-for-word accounts of their visit. Definately worth checking out.

The Candy booth and that drum... the memories!

Mokihana
November 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM
One time some friends of ours came to visit an we wen take them to Farrell's... I watched him eat a Trough.... could not believe he could eat the whole thing, one spoonful after anoddah. Was an experience jass watching!

na alii
November 17th, 2005, 09:46 PM

KalihiBoy
Around that location. It was next to Keiki Land whcih had rides and games.

chargerlipz
March 9th, 2006, 11:04 AM
For those of you who are interested we just got our website up. It's still in the beginning stages so don't be too critical. Farrell's Hawaii (http://www.farrellshawaii.com/)

As for the quality of food, our ice cream will most likely be Dave's. We are working on a deal with them.
So come one, come all. We hope to meet your expectations.

1stwahine
March 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM
For those of you who are interested we just got our website up. It's still in the beginning stages so don't be too critical. Farrell's Hawaii (http://www.farrellshawaii.com/)

As for the quality of food, our ice cream will most likely be Dave's. We are working on a deal with them.

When are you Opening? And as HT members do we get a discount? Can we book in advance as a group? Please? :D

Wow! Nice Website! According to it, June 2006 - projected date of opening. I look forward! Yippeeee! ;)

Auntie Lynn

chargerlipz
March 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
When are you Opening? And as HT members do we get a discount? Can we book in advance as a group? Please? :D

Wow! Nice Website! According to it, June 2006 - projected date of opening. I look forward! Yippeeee! ;)

Auntie Lynn

Yes we are shooting for June to open. As far as discounts programs those haven't been worked out yet.
In the not too distant future you will be able to book parties through our website. Be sure and sign up to get updates on what we're up to.

Da Rolling Eye
March 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Whoa, kewl. An icon from my small kid time I can share with my daughter. To bad cannot eat troughs anymore. I usally eat the kiddy cone from B&R nowdays. :o We'll let things settle down at the beginning. Probably go near the end of Summer.

1stwahine
March 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Yes we are shooting for June to open. As far as discounts programs those haven't been worked out yet.
In the not too distant future you will be able to book parties through our website. Be sure and sign up to get updates on what we're up to.

I ment to tell you signing up was easy. I am looking forward in sharing the same Fun and Great Food with my grandson! Aloha and Welcome back Farrell's!

AuntiepUpLe.com
Lynn Vasquez

oggboy
March 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Where will your location be. Good to have Farrell`s back after a long departure. I was the original team-member when Farrell`s Ice-Cream Parlour opened up in the Maui Mall In Kahului back in the early 70ths. The founder Bob Farrell was there for our grand opening. At that time it was something exciting and new for Maui. I also worked at the Ala Moana, Pearlridge locations. Kahala Mall and International Market Place we`re in op`s

Miulang
March 9th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Where will your location be. Good to have Farrell`s back after a long departure. I was the original team-member when Farrell`s Ice-Cream Parlour opened up in the Maui Mall In Kahului back in the early 70ths. The founder Bob Farrell was there for our grand opening. At that time it was something exciting and new for Maui. I also worked at the Ala Moana, Pearlridge locations. Kahala Mall and International Market Place we`re in op`s
Ooh yeah! I remember when Farrell's wen open up on Maui! Didn't that become that videogame place after Farrell's closed down (the one that moved to QKC)? I think the original Farrell's is in Salt Lake City.We used to have one up the street here in Seattle too, but wen close down and now one 50's diner.

Miulang

oggboy
March 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Ooh yeah! I remember when Farrell's wen open up on Maui! Didn't that become that videogame place after Farrell's closed down (the one that moved to QKC)? I think the original Farrell's is in Salt Lake City.We used to have one up the street here in Seattle too, but wen close down and now one 50's diner.

Miulang
No Sista,
It is now called (IHOP). Not sure of the videogame place though.
eh, Maybe as one Ruby`s Diner in your town. :) OGGBOY

Miulang
March 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
No Sista,
It is now called (IHOP). Not sure of the videogame place though.
eh, Maybe as one Ruby`s Diner in your town. :) OGGBOY
Oh, da videogame place was in da back of da old Kahului Shopping Center. Gomen. You right. Farrell's was where da IHOP where da American Idol wahine was working... ;) Wat was her name again? Camille something? No, I tink da Ruby's Diner up here in da Alderwood Mall, and that's about a half hour away from me.

Miulang

FRAGGLE ROCKER
June 11th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I didn't know there were so many Farrell's. The last ones I remember going were to the Pearlridge one but being so young I may have been to others before that.

pzarquon
July 13th, 2006, 07:42 AM
The revived thread on ice cream (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5536) reminded me about Farrell's, and that they were supposed to be opening soon. Summer 2006? That's now!

I went to check out their website (http://www.farrellshawaii.com/), which has been updated from the earlier placeholder, and quickly signed up for their notification e-mail list. I also see that they're hiring (http://www.farrellshawaii.com/employment.asp), and that they're holding a job fair tomorrow at Windward Mall.

Can't wait. Wonder which family member's birthday will be the first to be celebrated there?

scrivener
July 13th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Well, you never took Uncle Mitchell out on his birthday...how about him?

Erika Engle
July 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I went to check out their website (http://www.farrellshawaii.com/), which has been updated from the earlier placeholder, and quickly signed up for their notification e-mail list.
Thank you for this helpful tidbit, pz.
Frustratingly, my last calls to the local franchisee have gone unreturned.

oggboy
July 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM
:) :) :) After All these years, I`m glad Farrell`s is finally coming back to Hawaii.

I had some of my greatest high school memories working at this fun place. First of all being the newest and the most awesome place on this Island, it was a treat for everyone one the Valley Island to have a Restaurant of this type.
Having an operation like Farrell`s come to Maui was a very BIG DEAL at that time. The sole atmosphere of the place took everyone speechless...
I`m glad to have been a part of the original opening team member.
For those who seek employment with Farrell`s, remember it`s all about
fun, and it`s all about growing up in the industry. This was my 1st job being a waiter and dealing with people the training I received helped me alot.
Oh well, miss those good fun times!!!
Glad to see Farrell`s is back in town. Maybe come Maui too!!

Erika Engle
August 5th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Update in today's paper, complete with the URL for the Hawaii operation.
Get ready for the planned Sept. 1 soft opening.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/05/business/story01.html

When you go to www.farrellshawaii.com and click around, you can find a phone number (regular bus. hrs.) through which they're accepting party reservations for 9/16 and thereafter.

oceanpacific
August 5th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Can't do these anymore, but, in the old days:

1) the "Pig Trough" (double banana split) was routine for me (let's give him a hand with a big "OINK!"); there was a sherbert version of it;

2) my roommate once consumed a "Mauna Kea" by himself;

3) he and I finished off a "Zoo" after being challenged (I ate 60% of it); what a gooey and totally sinful mess.

I wonder if they've kept the same names and treats, like STRAW-ANA, GIBSON GIRL, FUDG-ANA, KATHY'S PINK SURPRISE, HOT TIN ROOF, GOLD-DIGGER'S SUNDAE, etc.

And the prices: the "Zoo" initially was $9.95, rising to $19.50 by the time Farrell's left

Erika Engle
August 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM
You can read the menu on the site, too. I didn't see prices when I checked, however.

kimo55
August 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM
ah the gibson girl. that was my favorite part of their motif.

MadAzza
August 5th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I loved the Clown Sundae when I was a kid. It's all I ever ordered, as far as the ice cream goes, even when I was an older kid. Keiki traditions can be hard to let go.

The Farrell's I went to was in Bellevue, Wash. It went away sometime in the mid-1970s, I think. I loved all the vintage photos and stuff all over the walls, and that whole miniature candy store right inside the entrance. Yum.

Pomai
August 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Mahalo for the SB update Erika.. I read (and savored) every Farrell-tastic word!

Windward Mall is probably a better location for business, but it would've been really nostalgically cool if they returned to their original home in Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, where Times Coffee Shop now occupies.

Growing up in Alii Shores, I spent many-a-day after school in that Farrell's location playing Space Invaders, Pac Man and Galaxian in the back game room (dating myself here).

Before they built that Farrell's, it was Honey's Place (Don Ho's mom's club).

After Farrell's closed there in the 80's, it became Smitty's, then various other coffee shop tenants.

the new Farrell's party room's 25-person capacity (2 separate rooms available) in the Windard Mall location will certainly be discouraging for large parties. I doubt they'll let you rent the entire establishment.

helen
August 5th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I read the piece on the Star Bulletin this morning, I found it strange that at Windward Mall their location is close by to a Baskin & Robbins location.

Hellbent
August 6th, 2006, 02:09 AM
wow, i think i posted about farrells in the disapearing thread. i remember the candy shop part the most. that and the drums and gong. was there a gong?

if i remember correctly, my first date was at farrells, when i was in intermediate.

LocoBoy
August 6th, 2006, 02:52 AM
For me its was the chocolate coke, mmmmmm... in da big glass you could take home :)

dick
August 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM
that and the drums and gong. was there a gong?

The Maui location had a large bass drum, a crank siren, and a bell (like a fire alarm bell).

kimo55
August 6th, 2006, 10:49 AM
great format. hope they keep the wild and crazy presentation like we all knew and loved.
(but i hope that lil girl didn't have a cold. otherwise i ain't eatin any of THAT ice cream.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeB2w9FOXTs

Kelly's birthday was actually three months ago. But what da hell. a lil white lie? free ice cream, she thought!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqd1vNgWGXw

Pomai
August 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Another important factor in Farrell's appeal is the SMELL of fun. The air conditioned combination of burgers and fries (which were pretty darn good), coffee and that thick, sugary aroma wafting from all the candy and ice cream in the in the joint.

pzarquon
September 4th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Farrell's finally back for more fun (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060904/BUSINESS08/609050301/1071)

The Farrell's experience a fond memory for legions of kama'aina is no longer relegated to history. The popular family restaurant chain, which had been gone from Hawai'i for nearly 20 years, celebrates its reopening at Windward Mall today. A second location is slated to open early next year at Pearlridge Center, and more could follow.Can't wait to check it out!

Saw a piece on KHON as well, but it was only sort of about Farrell's (http://www.khon.com/khon/displayStory.cfm?storyID=15115). It was by Linda Coble, who somehow decided to work Farrell's into a piece about low unemployment, job hunters, and looming labor strikes. I'm really starting to worry about her (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=97631&postcount=7)...

Gotta admit, though, the first thought that came to me when I saw the place on TV was, "That's far too sparse and well lit for a Farrell's!" You could somehow tell it used to be a McDonald's. The atmosphere was a big part of why folks loved Farrell's years ago, with the old-style booths and wood accents and Tiffany-style lamps and... sigh. Perhaps in a way, you never can go back again!

Though the Advertiser piece does mention some attention to decor, like a pseudo-trolley. Maybe they're still putting in the finishing touches.

scrivener
September 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
After our annual NFL draft in Kaneohe, the Fantasy League of Eagle Alumni (FLEA) thought we'd grab dinner at the new Farrell's. It was just about 7:30, and not only was the Farrell's not open, the MALL wasn't open. Monday night at 7:30 and the mall is closed? I'm flabbergasted.

My friends and I went instead to Ruby Tuesday. NOT a fair trade.

cezanne
September 4th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I dunno... I saw it on the news tonight and it didn't remind me of the Farrell's of old at all. The workers looked the part but the nostalgic ambience just wasn't there. The wife and I will check it out some time this week.

Leo Lakio
September 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Monday night at 7:30 and the mall is closed? I'm flabbergasted.Maybe because it was a holiday? Missed opportunity for them, if so.

1stwahine
September 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Yippppeeeee! Farrell's is Bacccck! I can't wait to take Antonio. Kiana still nursing - no can eat ice-cream yet!heheheh :p

Yeeehaa! Troughing, here we come. :D

Auntie Lynn

scrivener
September 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Maybe because it was a holiday? Missed opportunity for them, if so.
We're not talking about Christmas; we're talking about freakin' Labor Day, the most archaic national holiday since Good Friday, if you ask me. You'd think Kaneohe was Hilo...

oceanpacific
September 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
We're not talking about Christmas; we're talking about freakin' Labor Day, the most archaic national holiday since Good Friday, if you ask me. You'd think Kaneohe was Hilo...

Hey, HEy, HEY ........ easy on that "crack" about HILO!

Even though it's probably TRUE! :eek:

helen
October 2nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
So has Farrell's open up yet?

keoki_sing
October 3rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
'Okay, To All You People Out Dea, I Bet You Guy`s Never Even Know Had One Farrell`s In Maui Too! Fyi, I Was The Original Opener When The Maui Location Opened Up.
Bob Farrell, The Founder, Of Farrell`s Ice Cream Parlor Was On Hand To Open The Maui Location.'

Yeah I remember the Maui location well. I think it's an IHOP's now? I remember I went to a few B-Day's there including my own where I swore my family to silence cause I would have died of embarressment if they came running to my table making enough noise to drown out a freakin fire engine and sing Happy Birthday to me. Thinking back on it though I wish I had let them do it. Something to tell the kids about instead of that their Dad was trying to hard to be 'cool' and missed out on some childhood fun.

AbsolutChaos
October 3rd, 2006, 06:08 AM
Farrell's is having an ice cream eating contest this weekend.
http://www.windwardmall.com/?action=cal&calendar_id=1

pzarquon
October 3rd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Cool. Has anyone here actually gone since it opened, though? Apart from Scriv's missed chance, I've heard no first-hand reports here or elsewhere. I was really looking forward to Farrell's return, but I guess its brief profile on the TV news (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=98152&postcount=72) a few weeks back made me think that perhaps there's no going back.

Maybe we'll take a trip over this weekend. Though we'll probably steer clear of the ice cream contest!

LikaNui
October 3rd, 2006, 07:45 AM
Haven't been yet, but they do have a website at http://farrellshawaii.com/ .

Glen Miyashiro
October 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
I was there over the weekend. They still serve Green Rivers, made with the syrup and the seltzer water! It was more or less as I remembered it, considering that my Farrell's memories are more than 20 years old. :rolleyes:

They don't have the siren and the bell, though. When I was a kid it annoyed the heck out of me when they'd go off every 5 minutes or so for somebody's birthday (and there's always somebody having a birthday at Farrell's) -- but sitting there, I found myself actually missing the sound of those damned things.

pzarquon
October 3rd, 2006, 08:27 AM
No siren? No bell? No big drum? But that's Farrell's!Or was it just that no one was celebrating a birthday while you were there?

I see their relaunched website captures some of the essense of the Farrell's decor that I remember so well... how does the Windward Mall location look now? Back when it was on TV, it still looked like a remodeled McDonald's. Was the 'trolley car' all spruced up? Did they dim the lights just a little?

Dang it. Sounds like I will be taking the family out there this weekend...

Glen Miyashiro
October 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
The drum! I knew I was forgetting something. Yeah, they don't have the drum either. :rolleyes: There was someone with a birthday while I was there -- the staff sang for them, not "Happy Birthday" but another song that I remember they used to do. Their patter needed some work -- it could have been more polished and more boisterous -- but that'll come with practice.

The lighting was better than what you describe. The furniture did look a little fast-foodish, now that you mention it -- it was obviously a retrofit of an existing space, rather than a from-scratch rebuild.

I was dismayed to find that the candy shop had only one small basket of jawbreakers -- and they were about $5 for ones the size of a golf ball. What happened to the ones as big as an orange? :D

pzarquon
October 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
I would love to find some old photos of the Ala Moana Farrell's location. I'm sure my brain has completely "soft filtered" and idealized it in my memories, but still... I remember a lot a brass and wood, big booths, low Tiffany-style lamps, whimsical striped uniforms and a lot of energy. This new Farrell's so far sounds bright and clean and safe, but it sure sounds like it needs a little less McDonald's and a little more... I dunno, Chuck E. Cheese?

Come to think of it, as much as I loved Farrell's as a kid, I bet my parents got the same migranes there we do now at Chuck E. Cheese...

I guess what matters most is that the kids enjoy themselves, so that's what I've gotta test out! And the Green Rivers... and the rest of the menu (http://farrellshawaii.com/menu.asp)...

oceanpacific
October 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
I see they still have STRAW-ANA, FUDGE-ANA, and COLLEEN'S SALUTE, but what happened to CATHY'S PINK SURPRISE???

My PIG TROUGH days are probably over, so I'll have to limit myself to a regular BANANA SPLIT or BANANA ROYALE. Anyone remember their "banana split" made with sherbert? :D

scrivener
October 3rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
No bell, siren, and drum? I'm with pz. That's not Farrell's. And I'm with Glen: only ONE small basket full of jawbreakers? Geez. Don't tell me they didn't have the different sizes of swirly lollipops, too. Please.

blueyecicle
October 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Is this the ice cream parlor??? Is that what you are referring to? We just had our closed and they began in Oregon. If it is the ice cream parlor...I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I saw the candy and siren references.:rolleyes: I am such a turtle some days.

maui
October 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM
anyone out there who have work for any of the farrell back in the 70's?:rolleyes:

maui
October 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM
anyone out there who have work for any of the farrell back in the 70's?:rolleyes: looking for some worker who have work for all the farrell's in hawaii:rolleyes:

Leo Lakio
October 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
We're not talking about Christmas; we're talking about freakin' Labor Day, the most archaic national holiday since Good Friday, if you ask me.Funny that I would finally see this comment when the thread was resurrected on Columbus Day ... oh, excuse me, "Discoverer's Day.":rolleyes:
You'd think Kaneohe was Hilo...I've been there in some heavy rain, but never enough to make that mistake.

maui
October 9th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Pat McDonald-VP
Don Clark-owner
that just some of the people who have been with farrell back then.:rolleyes:

DannyWilliams
October 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Bells & Sirens is what FARRELLS is all about :confused:
Nice to see them back up again. Soooooo its only 2 locations at the moment according to their website?

Sooooooo how many locations used to be on Oahu before they closed up eons ago....
The only ones I rememba is obviously Ala Moana and Waikiki (ova by International Marketplace)......

maui
October 14th, 2006, 12:06 PM
back then in the 70's to early 80; there 4 in honolulu:
Kalaha-pearlridge-ala mona and international place. (I might be wrong, but someone say there was one more somewhere on oahu.
I work at all of them, except the one in ala mona.
So are there any old farrell's worker out there? I know bill turner and mike mcdonald; managers.:rolleyes:

Erika Engle
October 14th, 2006, 12:12 PM
My colleague, Nadine Kam, just reviewed the place.

If you're a consistent reader of her reviews, you already know she's not a big fan of deep-fried or fattening foods.

She wasn't crazy about IHOP, either.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/08/features/eater.html

I couldn't possibly be a restaurant reviewer/food critic. I'm way too easy to please. After all, with very few exceptions, FOOD is my favorite!

pzarquon
October 14th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Wow. Nadine's such a sour puss. Frankly, trying to do a serious food review of Farrell's is like trying to do the same at Chuck E. Cheese. A "pleasant dining experience" is nowhere near the top of the priorities list!

Glad I decided to take a road trip with the family over to Kaneohe from Mililani and check it out for myself.

http://static.flickr.com/115/269642669_7fc9ef9b49_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269642669/) http://static.flickr.com/31/269674999_5bf3a62140_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269674999/) http://static.flickr.com/111/269681401_52ef6e3c64_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269681401/)

Let's get the tough stuff out of the way first. The place is a madhouse. Noisy. Kids underfoot everywhere. We had an hour wait, the people who walked up a few minutes later were told two hours. Some folks were getting pretty rude with the flustered staff (hey, show up with a party of eight, expect to wait a while). Servers obviously had to juggle actual serving with being pulled aside to sing, or deliver two-person dessert presentations, and a couple had their boyfriends loitering around... but for the most part, they kept smiling and persevered, and so did we.

I definitely remember the rich, Victorian-style, dark wood and brass decor of the old Farrell's, and this new location does not come anywhere near that level of character.

But, it wasn't half as bad as I expected, compared to the scenes I saw on KHON a couple months back where it was basically indistinguishable from the McDonald's it replaced. They dimmed the lights, covered the wall with old photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269661161/), and did what they could to evoke that carnival feel, from a carousel horse and player piano (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269663282/) to a nifty old-style candy store off to the side. And of course the staff wore those white straw hats and red pinstripe vests. The best news of all? There is indeed a drum (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269647826/) and a loud siren to herald special deliveries. The drum stays behind the counter and it's only sporadically invoked (it sure seemed constant when I was a kid), but the place is noisy enough without it. It also still seemed like a work in progress, and perhaps over time other touches will be added to make the decor more rich and fun.

There's a party room that looks like it handles two groups of about twenty at once or one group of 50, and it was constantly turning over. Looks like some of the staff got some basic balloon animal training (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269673796/), and the kids were definitely having a blast.

Kudos to the staff, by the way, mostly young kids who clearly need something special to have the stamina and dignity to play along... singing half a dozen different happy birthday songs, doing little dances, twisting balloons, serving huge desserts, announcing celebrations at the top of their lungs. I sure couldn't do it.

The menu is basic diner fare, though I still was surprised to see soup and salad next to the burgers and sandwiches. The usual suspects on the kiddie menu, and some tasty sounding burgers. Kids had chicken nuggets, corn dog, macaroni and cheese, my wife had the patty melt with some huge, thick onion rings, I had a mushroom burger with "waffle fries" (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269680326/) (they called them something else). I'm no burger expert (I turn to glossyp for the final word), but I thought mine was pretty good... much better than I'd expect for a place where you'd almost assume food was an afterthought. Juicy, moist, messy, melty, thick mushrooms...

Then, of course, the desserts. They all sounded decadent. The "Diamond Head" for $20, the "Mauna Kea" for $40, the pig's trough... Someone ordered the "Honolulu Zoo" while we were there, a huge platter carried out on the shoulders of two staffers and announced with all the noise they could muster. The kids had the "clown sundae (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269681401/)," a neat treat with ice cream, Nilla cookies, whipped cream, an upside down sugar cone and sprinkles. My wife and I split the pig's trough (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269682474/)... and barely finished half of it!

Afterward, we waddled over to the candy store... the big hit was the "Pucker Powder" tower (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/269669755/), where you filled a thick straw with sour sugar in varying flavors. My son thought it was a magic wand and soon sprinkled half the mall with his, my daughter sucked hers down in ten minutes and is now bouncing off the walls.

In all, I enjoyed myself. The crowd and noise was what I expected, the ambiance really wasn't as stark as I feared it would be, the food was better than I expected, and of course the desserts were awesome. I'm probably going to be regretting that pig's trough ice cream Sunday for half the week, but it was worth it.

See the Farrell's photos posted from my smartphone here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/sets/72157594328492009/). I also got some shots with my regular digicam and even a few video clips as well. Stay tuned!

Pomai
October 14th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Pzarquon,

YOUR review, along with that comprehensive set of (flickr) photos should have been the one published in Star Bulletin. Thank you very much!

It's hard for most of us to remember the minute details that went into the Farrell's we were familiar with as a kid. Now that I look at those photos of the decor, didn't the Farrell's back "then" have that line-art wallpaper all around? You know, the one with the couple sharing the sundae together.. kinda' like how Subway. Also, I think the original decor was more tavern-like, using more wood paneling.

But whoah. Your explanation of the Mushroom Burger (you know how I feel about that!) along with photo showing that their fries are WAFFLE CUT. I must try this.

Must the operative word, as both you and Nadine made clear the wait to get a seat is a long one. I'll wait for the hype to simmer (if it ever does soon) before even attempting a drive into Kaneohe for this experience.

Glen Miyashiro
October 14th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Glad to know they have the drum and the siren now -- they were nowhere to be heard when I was there. It's not Farrell's without them!

pzarquon
October 14th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Glad to know they have the drum and the siren now -- they were nowhere to be heard when I was there. It's not Farrell's without them!Indeed! So, to add onto my HT review (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=109088&postcount=98), and my moblog cameraphone collection (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/sets/72157594328492009/)... for your audiovisual enjoyment, I present a videoblog entry (http://www.lightfantastic.org/imr/extras/videoblog/archives/2006/10/farrells.html) featuring some scenes from the delicious insanity of Farrell's. Also posted to YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY7UuCN7kQ8) for those who prefer your sundaes served that way!

Kalihiboy
October 14th, 2006, 11:27 PM
All I know is that we tried to take my son for his birthday at Windward Mall, were told to wait "45 minutes", came back and they told us it would be another 1 hour to 90 minutes because the people are sitting talking story and we cant tell them to leave. I was ticked off because when you wait 45 minutes at the end of that timeframe you should be expected a table. The biggest problem there is its in a old fast food restaurant and they dont have the room of a larger scale restaurant which they need.

The old wallpaper I remember at Wendy's years ago too, was also on their tables.

KalihiBoy

pzarquon
October 15th, 2006, 02:04 PM
They definitely need a pager system or to start taking cell phone numbers. In the crunch, there were definitely frayed nerves as they tried to hold tables for parties that wandered off while others standing right there grumbled about empty seats. I stayed put for our whole wait, summoning back the family as our name came up, and we definitely benefitted from some prior parties being absent when their names were called.

But I still enjoyed myself, and don't understand people who get so worked up so that they basically hate the whole experience by the end. Farrell's is Farrell's, not Michel's. Chill, and enjoy the chaos.

Not that I have the stamina to visit every week... or month, for that matter... But I'm glad I went.

Bill Turner
October 17th, 2006, 10:44 AM
yippie,yea I remember Farrells a guy his steven fung I think he work kahala,Kahala was the first Farrells then Waikiki then Ala Moana and Pearl ridge and i think Maui was next Maybe.Anyway saqw the picture no look like old Farrells they had red wall paper and the tiffaney style lites.If you go the location where Farrells was in Waikiki at International Market Place the stairs are still there that led up to the place there is a chinese restaurant there and the lite are still there thats all thats left.I see they change the names of the sundaes no zoo sundae big sandwhich the gastro some thing came out on a big wooden board also how about shakes and malts or old fashion sodas like the black and white or choc. soda with ice cream inside and one hanging on the out side of the glass.

maui
October 18th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Hey bill!
What a small world! Finally after all these years. So have you heard anything
about anyone else? Like Mike McDonald? Or Vickie Parmer. Cindy B-something,
what about Diane Chin and finally what about some of the managers; jerry (pearlridge), Robin (international mkt), David Born (ala mona) oh...super..remember him, didn't he's open maui? OR...Ken M-something..he's left to work for Marriott (after it was taken over by them)
where are you living at now? As for me, retire and standed on my feet with the dot.com stocks back a a couple year ago.
I''ll heard that you also did well! In the business world! Sold a program for major bucks! okay you have my email address...will have to get ahold of you!

helen
November 16th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Has anyone been to Farrell's recently? I am just wondering if the long wait times to get in have died down or not.