PDA

View Full Version : New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

pzarquon
November 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I know we're a playful bunch. I loved scrivener's HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (both (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6617) rounds (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6617)!), and his constantly entertaining and provocative questions, and in particular his mini-contest, Logos, Buildings, and Art (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5633).

Well, that latter contest was especially fun for me... so I thought I'd throw together my own version, clearly inspired by scrivener (and even zztype's abbreviated photo scavenger hunt (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5087)): Honolulu Zoom.

In short, I'll post sets of five photos, and you'll have to identify them. Logos, buildings, and art may very well be elements of this game as well. The twist, if you can call it that, is the "zoom" bit - the photos will feature only a tiny part of the landmark, structure, object, whatever. You'll have to figure out what you're looking at, without seeing the whole thing.

Sound like fun?

Difficulty: I've tested a few sets, and some are embarassingly easy, and some are... less than easy. I don't think any set is hard, though in each set I've tried to have one "giveaway" and one "head scratcher." But, bbviously, people outside Hawaii or Honolulu are at a distinct disadvantage in this game. Sorry! It may be hard to score, but hopefully the exercise will still be fun!

Scoring: One point for each photo in the set correctly identified (basically what the photo depicts and where in Honolulu it's located). The more detailed your answer the better - I may 'curve' what scores depending on how many folks' answers reach whatever level of completeness! Plus, an easy sixth point if you get the "theme." The theme could be, "They're all green," or, "They're all at the Honolulu Zoo," or, "They're all named after trees."

Playing: You'll have to e-mail your answers (no Private Messages) by the stated deadline to me at ryanozawa@gmail.com, with "Zoom" in the subject line.

Prizes: The top three winners get something. Haven't decided yet. (Donations to the prize pool welcome!) Hopefully, the real reward will be in the playing!

Schedule: Here's the tricky bit. These won't be posted on a pre-set schedule, though I will set a deadline for answers for each. How long this contest runs depends on how much y'all are enjoying it, and how many photo sets I can come up with. Let's just say you'll get a new set at least weekly, have three days to answer (after I post "time's up," y'all can comment publicly), and we'll wrap it up along with the year -- that is, through Dec. 31, 2005.

First set coming later today (Friday)!

pzarquon
November 11th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Here we go! Five photos, six points, three days.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game1.jpg

E-mail your answers by 8 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 19 to ryanozawa@gmail.com (ryanozawa@gmail.com?subject=Zoom) with "Zoom" in the subject line.

scrivener
November 11th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Woo-hoo! I get to play!

This is almost as cool as the return of Farrells!

mel
November 12th, 2005, 10:13 AM
E-mail your answers by 8 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 19 to ryanozawa@gmail.com (ryanozawa@gmail.com?subject=Zoom) with "Zoom" in the subject line.

Monday is either Nov. 14 or Nov. 21. The 19th is on a Saturday.

November 2005
S M Tu W Th F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30

pzarquon
November 12th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Monday is either Nov. 14 or Nov. 21. The 19th is on a Saturday.Oop! The 14th is what I meant (three days from yesterday). Thanks!

cezanne
November 12th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Man I hope this isn't one of the "easy" ones. :)

pzarquon
November 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Man I hope this isn't one of the "easy" ones.I hope each set has a 'freebie' and one that most folks won't get. FWIW, photo five above is the most familiar to folks, but photo four hasn't been nailed by anyone. (Er, or am I giving too much away?) In any case, send in answers even if you only recognize one, or are just guessing... chances are, you'll guess right!

By the way, no problem if you want to refine your answers during the answer period... but I do ask that when you "update" your answers, you send all your guesses again, so I just need to keep track of your last e-mail!

Pua'i Mana'o
November 13th, 2005, 08:21 PM
...I'll post sets of five photos, and you'll have to identify them. Logos, buildings, and art may very well be elements of this game as well. The twist, if you can call it that, is the "zoom" bit - the photos will feature only a tiny part of the landmark, structure, object, whatever. You'll have to figure out what you're looking at, without seeing the whole thing.

Sound like fun?

<kicks dirt> :mad:

waaaaahhh!!! :(

brumgrumblergurgleliveonanotherislefujrugmrgdratsg urggggrrrr
:confused:

pzarquon
November 14th, 2005, 10:23 AM
brumgrumblergurgleliveonanotherislefujrugmrgdratsg urggggrrrrWell, if someone wants to do a "Maui Zoom" or "Hilo Zoom," more power to ya! Of course, I'll be on the Big Island this weekend... Heh. Maybe a bonus round!

First game ends tonight! But don't forget to include the sixth answer, and often the easiest: "What is the theme?" Don't overthink these, as I'll take just about anything in the neighborhood.

Finally, if you want to talk prizes, I'm putting up a HawaiiThreads T-Shirt, and the ever awesome zztype is donating a $10 iTunes Gift Certificate! And I expect the prize pool will grow as the number of players does! Thanks, ZZ, and thanks to everyone for giving this game a shot!

pzarquon
November 14th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 1!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game1answers.jpg

The Theme: King Street! I would've also accepted Chinatown (though Bishop Street is a bit outside that) and, for the heck of it, downtown, too. See? Even a vague guess here would've gotten you a point!

Photo 1: Scrivener gave the most complete answer: "'Enchanting Garden' by Satoru Abe (1997), and is in front of the First Hawaiian Bank building at King & Bishop. Abe's work is everywhere on this island, but... his art gallery is located on King Street in Kalihi."

Photo 2: It's the Macy's star! If the star didn't give it away, I was hoping the brick building would. The photo is of the sign facing S. King on the ewa corner, but I'd have accepted any sign (there are several).

Photo 3: This is the side of the old Longs Drugs site at Nuuanu, right where N. King and S. King meet. Also, yes, home of Hawaii Business College, Aloha Graphics, and a cool snack shop tucked away inside. I was hoping the blue windows would be key.

Photo 4: This one, as I expected, was the tricky one. There are several sets of lions in Chinatown. I actually went to check out another pair that a couple of you mentioned to be sure. But, they are different, and if the differences in the sculptures were too minute, and if the fragment of wall in the background was no help, the theme might've been the best clue. As far as I know, these are the only two lions on King Street between Bishop and Maunakea or thereabouts. They stand guard outside Hawaii National Bank. Two of you got this one, so I don't feel it was too hard! Just kinda hard.

Photo 5: All but one of you got these... they are indeed the red pillars fronting Bank of Hawaii and Golden Palace Restaurant (and a small bunch of vendors who set up shop between them on the ewa end of the block). If there were such a thing as extra credit, Mel would have gotten it, as he provided his own photo of the very same pillars (http://img.buzznet.com/assets/users4/macpro/oahu/gallery-msg-1095669349-2.jpg) being repainted.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

6 pts.: Scrivener
5 pts.: Zztype, Mel
4 pts.: 1stwahine, Pomai, Glen Miyashiro
2 pts.: Tutusue, Helen, AbsolutChaos
1 pt.: Surfingfarmboy

New Prize! Surfingfarmboy, a proven pro when it comes to HawaiiThreads games, has graciously offered a $25 Longs Drugs gift certificate! Thanks, Surfingfarmboy, as well as Zztype, for growing the prize pool.

Scheduling Note: Remember, Honolulu Zoom games will be posted as they're developed, and may not be consecutive. Heck, it might take a while for me to catch up with scoring, too! So, if an answer deadline passes with no answers, no huhu, just chill (and feel free to post your guesses and discuss them)... more will come eventually!

But, I do have a second set ready, so... new photos, next post!

pzarquon
November 14th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Right on the heels of Game 1 (amazing!), here's Honolulu Zoom Game 2!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game2.jpg

As always, E-mail your answers by 8 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 17 to ryanozawa@gmail.com -- don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! Feel free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline.

Pomai
November 15th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Shocking to learn I had the First Hawaiian Bank artpiece correct. Total guess on my part. Amazing how Scriv' knew the detail, right down to the artist's name.

Macy's was the giveaway of the bunch.

Everything else for me would have required a "refresher" tour on King St. in order to ace it.

Whatever you do Pzarq', please don't pull a "HONOLULU ZOOM: SUPER-MACRO EDITION" on us. :D

scrivener
November 15th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Amazing how Scriv' knew the detail, right down to the artist's name.
Not really. I had it lined up for the Logos, Buildings, and Art game but never used it. Also, Abe's work really is everywhere; and it's unmistakeable. Those funky forks and prongs don't really suit my tastes, but they certainly make his work easy to identify.

pzarquon
November 17th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Today's the last day for Game 2! Lots of room on that leaderboard...

pzarquon
November 17th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 2!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game2answers.jpg

The Theme: Waikiki! I would've also accepted Kalakaua Avenue, as all of these sights are essentially on that main drag, but Zztype correctly notes that one is a fair distance apart from the street.

Photo 1: The sign over the Kalakaua entrance to the International Marketplace! My favorite attempt at an answer, however, involved a detailed description of a restroom in Kapiolani park. Mel, meanwhile, once again comes through with his own photo (http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?id=474681) of the same sign.

Photo 2: Almost everyone got this one: the gorgeous, historic, Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel.

Photo 3: This was this game's stumper. And no one got it. They're part of the overhang between the two towers of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki (http://images.google.com/images?q=hyatt%20regency%20waikiki&sourceid=mozilla-search&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Cimg%20src=%22images/smilies/redface.gif%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22%22%20tit le=%22Embarrassment%22%20smilieid=%222%22%20class= %22inlineimg%22%20/%3Efficial&sa=N&tab=wi). I originally was going to leave a fragment of the ewa tower in the shot, and probably should have. But the thing is, it really isn't much of a signature element. I confess, when I went to get this shot, I wanted to get the huge, very distinctive bronze sculpture that is usually suspended from this overhang, usually very visible from the street, and an excellent Rosarch test subject (my friends and I always described it as a female anatomical illustration gone horribly wrong). But, it wasn't there! There were workers climbing all over the place, so I guess for the first time in forever they were refurbishing the thing. So at least the answer key image is a bit special. The crown jewel of the Hyatt's central promenade is gone! Lots of creative thinking, though, from booze cruise ship railings to restaurant doors. Best guess? "Sheesh!" Mel guessed the giant movie screen frame near Kapahulu. Now that would've been a great entry. D'oh!

Photo 4: A clean sweep here! Not a soul didn't know whose lei-draped shoulder they were looking at. Pomai answers, "Duke Kahanamoku statue on Waikiki Beach by artist Jan-Michelle Sawyer. Erected in 1990 in honor of what would have been Duke's 100th birthday." Notes Surfingfarmboy, "...with his back incorrectly facing the ocean...Duke would never had done that."

Photo 5: It's the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, a.k.a. the Pink Palace. The color gave it away, right? It was either the Moana Surfrider or Tripler! This is the one photo that's more than a stone's throw from Kalakaua Avenue. Both Pomai and Mel knew specifically that this was the side facing the ocean.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

11 pts.: Scrivener
10 pts.: Zztype, Mel
9 pts.: Pomai, Glen Miyashiro
8 pts.: AbsolutChaos
5 pts.: 1stwahine
4 pts.: Surfingfarmboy, Dick, Linkmeister
3 pts.: Helen, Tutusue

AbsolutChaos makes a strong leap forward, and Dick and Linkmeister make a strong first showing! Thanks, everyone, for playing. While puzzling over the current set of photos, feel free to comment on those I've already revealed. Too hard? Too easy? Reminds you of this one time in high school?

And... once again, I just happen to have the next set in my back pocket, so... new game, next post!

pzarquon
November 17th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Posted hours before my family and I depart for our regular pilgrimage to Hilo, here's Honolulu Zoom Game 3! Except for a certain subset of islanders, I think this batch altogether is the hardest so far.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game3.jpg

As always, e-mail your answers by 8 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 20 to ryanozawa@gmail.com -- don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! Feel free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline. I don't think I'll be able to get to the answer key and scoring until Monday.

Pomai
November 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 2!

The Theme: Waikiki!

Photo 3: This was this game's stumper. And no one got it. They're part of the overhang between the two towers of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki (http://images.google.com/images?q=hyatt%20regency%20waikiki&sourceid=mozilla-search&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Cimg%20src=%22images/smilies/redface.gif%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22%22%20tit le=%22Embarrassment%22%20smilieid=%222%22%20class= %22inlineimg%22%20/%3Efficial&sa=N&tab=wi). I originally was going to leave a fragment of the ewa tower in the shot, and probably should have. But the thing is, it really isn't much of a signature element. I confess, when I went to get this shot, I wanted to get the huge, very distinctive bronze sculpture that is usually suspended from this overhang, usually very visible from the street, and an excellent Rosarch test subject (my friends and I always described it as a female anatomical illustration gone horribly wrong). But, it wasn't there! There were workers climbing all over the place, so I guess for the first time in forever they were refurbishing the thing. So at least the answer key image is a bit special. The crown jewel of the Hyatt's central promenade is gone! Lots of creative thinking, though, from booze cruise ship railings to restaurant doors. Best guess? "Sheesh!" Mel guessed the giant movie screen frame near Kapahulu. Now that would've been a great entry. D'oh!

I knew there was one in there you'd require getting out of the car in order to find! Damned it!

I drove down Kalakaua Ave. THREE TIMES this evening looking for the answer to #3! Even asked a few parking lot attendants at the Sheraton if they recognized that Lauae Leaf metal sign (which I printed on paper B-T-W). None knew.

Whahhhh!! Whaahhhh!

What was that favorite description of a bathroom in Kapiolani park all about? I like know!

scrivener
November 17th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Even asked a few parking lot attendants at the Sheraton if they recognized that Lauae Leaf metal sign (which I printed on paper B-T-W). None knew.
Nor did a single person in the Ena Road 7-Eleven, customer or cashier. I, too, showed them a printout. Someone said, "With shots like this, you could be looking for something small," which I'd never thought of. Of course, that happened to be wrong this time, but it was a good point. One customer suggested I ask a...oh, wait. I don't think I'll give that idea away just yet. ;)

scrivener
November 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I think there SHOULD be some killer ones like this one that nobody got. Separates the neurotic from the just plain obsessed.

I disagree with Surfingfarmboy about the direction Duke's facing. Sure, while he was ALIVE he might not have had his back to the ocean, but he would prefer that his STATUE face the street, welcoming visitors to the waters at Waikiki, where he broke records and saved lives.

helen
November 17th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I'm surprised no one ever thought of putting Duke's statue on a turntable.

Pomai
November 17th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Game Suggestion for Pzarquon...

Do a HILO ZOOM.

Since Pz' makes regular trips there, it would be a nice geographical expansion of this game.

We certainly have a few Big Islanders on this board who'd appreciate it.
--------------------------------------------
Scrivener,

Driving down Kalakaua Ave. 3 times in busy evening traffic @ today's gas prices in search of an answer to a benign online puzzle would certainly qualify myself as OBSESSED.

Neurotic? Not yet.

If I have nightmares tonight about Laua`e leaves at the Hyatt, I'll let ya' know. :D

mel
November 18th, 2005, 08:21 AM
I'm surprised no one ever thought of putting Duke's statue on a turntable.

Several years ago Rabbett at Hawaii's H4 / IRH suggested this.

http://hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/spinduke.html

lurkah
November 18th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I'm surprised no one ever thought of putting Duke's statue on a turntable.Several years ago Rabbett at Hawaii's H4 / IRH suggested this.

http://hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/spinduke.html
I think putting Duke's statue on a turntable would be a mistake as it would effectively turn the statue into a toy object to be spun around at will by passing kids or those who may or may not be under mind-altering substances. ;) Spun around fast enough, the centrifugal force might even cause the statue (which wasn't originally designed and balanced to spin in the first place) to dismount, injure people, and possibly damage the statue itself beyond repair.

I think Duke's statue faces the land and the people because he is welcoming them to his world famous Waikiki Beach in the same way that we ourselves would face, and not turn away from, our friends and visitors as we welcome them into our home.

pzarquon
November 20th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Asking around? Driving around? Now that's dedication!

Still alive, with 3 minutes left on a rental net terminal at the hotel. (SurferQuest... it's a scam... it blocks Gmail and my home e-mail, so what was the point of giving them my credit card?) Still getting your answers, though, I presume... Monday night's the line for the current game.

God I love Hilo. There might be a Hilo Zoom special after all!

pzarquon
November 21st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Time got away from me tonight, so here's one of the promised pauses. Feel free to post your guesses to Game 3 publicly! Official answer key, scores, and next game... coming soon.

1stwahine
November 22nd, 2005, 04:16 AM
Time got away from me tonight, so here's one of the promised pauses. Feel free to post your guesses to Game 3 publicly! Official answer key, scores, and next game... coming soon.

It's 5:12 am. I went to bed last night hoping that one of you would post your guesses so I can kinda "borrow" cause this game kinda hard foa me. :p heheheh

Alas, nobody did. :eek:

Auntie Lynn

pzarquon
November 22nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 3!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game3answers.jpg

The Theme: UH Manoa! If you have never been a student there, or never walked the campus, this one was tough. But if you have, you had to have recognized a few! I tried especially hard to not include anything especially new -- as tempting as it was to use the POST building, or the renovated entry to the biomedical building on upper campus.

Photo 1: This is the Korean Studies Center, across from Hamilton Library. By itself, this photo might've been difficult to figure out, but if you got the theme, the answer was pretty clear. Everybody who ventured a guess got it. Mel, again, provided his own photo (http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?id=1923339).

Photo 2: This is Hamilton Library. I thought it was the stumper of the bunch, but at least one of you got it. This was one photo where I used the background to give the more significant hint. The eaves/roofline is very distinctive, if you ever looked up!

Photo 3: Keller Hall. The stained glass was a clue, but so was the big "E." Sure, "E" doesn't exactly narrow things down a whole lot, but... you know it wasn't Sakamaki or Krauss or Bachman... or (ahem) Klum Gym.

Photo 4: As usual, Scrivener comes through with probably the most complete answer. "To the Nth Power, by C.W. Watson (1971) in front of the administrative offices at the College of Business Administration." The CBA building as a whole is a architectural nightmare, so this sculture is about the best thing to look at as you enter campus on Maile Way.

Photo 5: If you've been playing HawaiiThreads games for a while, you had no excuse for not knowing the answer to this one: it was posted right here (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=29360&postcount=45) in June! This was the giveaway, which I thought was definitely needed 'cause the rest on their own wouldn't immediately suggest a theme for most. As Scrivener explained this summer, "The mural's title is Hawai`i Ka`u Kumu, which I think means 'Hawaii, Our Teacher.' It is credited to Calley O'Neill with Theresa Ho, Christopher Turco, and others, 1982."

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

16 pts.: Scrivener
15 pts.: Mel
11 pts.: Zztype
9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Pomai, Dick
8 pts.: AbsolutChaos
6 pts.: 1stWahine, Surfingfarmboy, Helen
4 pts.: Linkmeister
3 pts.: Tutusue

New game, next post!

pzarquon
November 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Here's Honolulu Zoom Game 4! Easier than Game 3, I think, but similar in one respect.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game4.jpg

Since I'm posting this late Tuesday, let's say the deadline for answers is 8 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 26. Just send your answers or guesses to ryanozawa@gmail.com -- don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! Feel free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

scrivener
November 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Oh, I hate myself. I stared right at that Keller sign and never got it. I was looking for an M.

Linkmeister
November 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
I've never attended any classes at UH, and I've only been on the campus (other than Les Murakami stadium) about five times in 27 years, so I don't feel badly about knowing none of those. But the "E" really confused me. What connection did Enron have with Hawai'i, I kept thinking.

helen
November 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
I was a student help based in Keller Hall for a year and half and I didn't even have a clue to that photo. Then again in my defense I rarely used that enterance/exit.

tutusue
November 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
[...]
3 pts.: Tutusue
Cool...and I didn't even play this one 'cuz I never saw it!!! What's the prize for 3 points? :confused: I'll try the next one if I can carry over my points! :D

pzarquon
November 22nd, 2005, 06:25 PM
Cool...and I didn't even play this one 'cuz I never saw it!!! What's the prize for 3 points? :confused: I'll try the next one if I can carry over my points! :DYou can absolutely 'carry over' points -- they're cumulative, game to game. That's how we've got players (okay, a player) with 16 points. Considering each game offers a maximum of six points, you can see that it wouldn't take much to climb the charts quickly.

Tracking the game can be a challenge, if this thread disappears off the "Latest Posts" view or if a new page is added to the thread soon after a new game is posted. Your safest bet is to bookmark it, or just search for 'Zoom' now and then to find it again.

zztype
November 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Disagree, PZ. Best way is to click the Thread Tools link in the top bar of this page and SUBSCRIBE to this thread. Then you get an email when someone posts something new to this thread.

Only bugaboo with the subscription is that you MUST VISIT the thread through the link in the email, or you will get no further emails. (I wish it would just send me the emails until I unsubscribed from the thread.)

My $0.02, before tax.

Aloha,

Blaine

Pomai
November 22nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
My $0.02, before tax.... Don't forget to add the gas cap law and bottle bill fee into that equation. :p

------------------------------------

Pzarquon, what kind of camera are you using for this Zoom game? Consumer Digital? Prosumer SLR?

Some nice shots!

pzarquon
November 26th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Pzarquon, what kind of camera are you using for this Zoom game? Consumer Digital? Prosumer SLR? Some nice shots!Thanks. It's nothing especially fancy, but I like it a lot. It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&tag=aloh&camp=1789&creative=9325&path=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F B0002R2838%3Fv%3Dglance%2526n%3D502394). Key for me was the 12x optical zoom. My previous camera was a Olympus C-2100UZ, which also had a good lens.

Best way is to click the Thread Tools link in the top bar of this page and SUBSCRIBE to this thread. Then you get an email when someone posts something new to this thread.Good point. I use that feature on other boards as well.

Deadline for Game 4 is tonight! But... I'm still trying to figure out the next one. Uh oh.

pzarquon
November 26th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 4!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game4answers.jpg

The Theme: Ala Moana Center! Every single person who played this round got the theme correct. Many of you confessed, however, not really going there anymore. Impressively, however, Mel did go there... and photographed every element in this game (http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/) himself. This must've been the easiest set to date: four of you got all five photos, or the full six points. I thought Photo 5 would be the giveaway, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was Photo 4 instead, which nearly everyone correctly identified.

Photo 1: This is the Ben Bridge Rolex clock on the mall level overlooking Ala Moana Centerstage. As Ala Moana Center continues to grow and expand and mutate with square footage rather than design as a motive, it's hard to find an architectural heart or core to the place, but apart from Centerstage itself, I always thought this clock came close. Unfortunately, I didn't accept "Ben Bridge" or merely "clock" for this one, as those elements were plainly obvious from the photo.

Photo 2: I thought this was the stumper, but plenty of you got it anyway. This is the interior roof design/sculpture/thingie in the Makai Marketplace food court. The pear-shaped light was the key clue. Does anyone know if there's a motif or theme or any particular reason why the ceiling looks like this? With the columns made to look like tree trunks, I get "forest" or "trees," but is it merely interior design or actual art?

Photo 3: As I mentioned, Ala Moana has changed so much, I found it hard to find all that many distinctive, signature elements to the facility overall. Not that malls are pretty places in general, but still. I was walking around, trying to find some visual center, and one of the few things that registered at all was this roof element near the middle of the complex, mauka side. Coming up the Keeaumoku Street ramp, it (or the elevator shaft) is basically the only thing you see apart from parking and concrete walls. There are roof elements within the center that look like this, but not exactly... fortunately most of you pegged the specific location anyway.

Photo 4: This turned out to be the easy one. Yep, it's the koi ponds on the mall level. There's another carp pond on the lower level makai side near by Assagio, but the tiles and the plants are different. Surfingfarmboy asked, but I didn't know... whatever became of the rumors that the koi had been poisoned a while back?

Photo 5: I thought this was the most visible, recognizable part of Ala Moana, but it confused a few of you. Interestingly, a couple of you thought it was something on the ground, rather than up above. This is the roof of Macy's, formerly Liberty House. I always liked this architectural detail of the shopping center... specifically the tapa patterns. If anyone knows the story of the design, I'd love to hear it.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

22 pts.: Scrivener
21 pts.: Mel
17 pts.: Zztype
15 pts.: Pomai
13 pts.: AbsolutChaos
10 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick, Helen
7 pts.: 1stwahine
5 pts.: Tutusue
4 pts.: Linkmeister
3 pts.: Palamakid

New game, next post!

pzarquon
November 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Here's Honolulu Zoom Game 5!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game5.jpg

Send your answers or guesses to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 29. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

scrivener
November 26th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Except for maybe that first picture, none of these photos looks anything like what Ala Moana looked like on Friday night!

Hey. That koi-pond photo is old.

And it's too bad you didn't have a shallower focus in that food court picture. I'm getting hungry.

pzarquon
November 26th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Except for maybe that first picture, none of these photos looks anything like what Ala Moana looked like on Friday night!I can imagine. When we lived in town, I'd go to Ala Moana on Black Friday just to watch the madness. I'd go up to the third or now forth level above the mall and just marvel at the sea of humanity.

Hey. That koi-pond photo is old.What? No it's not. I took it a few weeks ago, the same time I took the rest of these. I haven't yet dipped into "file photos" for this game, though as time gets short I might have to resort to that... What makes you think it's old?

And it's too bad you didn't have a shallower focus in that food court picture. I'm getting hungry.The minute the shutter snapped, I knew you'd have something to say about that photo...

mel
November 27th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Many of you confessed, however, not really going there anymore. Impressively, however, Mel did go there... and photographed every element in this game (http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/) himself.

Here are the direct links to each photo. The link above will be rolled after I update the section with newer photos.

1. Ben Bridge Rolex Clock
http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942117
http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942119

2. Food Court Ceiling Fixture
http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942083

3. Rooftop facade
http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?p=1&id=1942052
I don't think I got this one correct; should have used the other one that I did not publish.

4. Fishpond
http://macpro.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942253
http://macpro.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942234

5. Macy's tapa roof tiles
http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?p=1&id=1942053
http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?p=1&id=1942054

I shot all of these on Friday while attempting to do some Christmas shopping. The shopping center is a great place to people watch, especially during the holiday shopping season.

pzarquon
November 29th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 5!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game5answers.jpg

The Theme: "Government Buildings." At least, that was the plan. But the point was made that Photo 2 might not exactly be a government building. So I'll take "Capitol District" as well... even though Photo 4 is a bit outside that area. That was kind of the point (if you knew Photo 4, you'd have to think more about the theme), but... I either overthought or underthought this one, so y'all get the benefit of the doubt. Heh.

Interestingly, several of you commented with relief that this was the easiest set so far, but no one got all five.

Photo 1: Ali`iolani Hale. I might have accepted "King Kamehameha Statue" (even though that's not a building!) if you described where it was, though. Not surprisingly, there was one guess for 'Iolani Palace (which is across the street). Lots of tourists make the same mistake. Notes scrivener, "Named after Kam V, who had it built to house the legislature, courts, and cabinet offices of the Kingdom. It is also where the overthrow was plotted in 1893. One of my favorite buildings in Hawaii, and I'm sure I'm not alone!"

Photo 2: This is the Honolulu Board of Water Supply building on Beretania. Most of you got it, probably because of the color over anything else! Not a pretty building, but distinctive, I thought. I also once worked as an intern here, and had many fond memories (mostly of other interns). But is it a government building?

Photo 3: As giveaways go, this photo takes the cake so far. I could've "zoomed" a lot more severely, but I like the building too much to not show a little more of it. This is, of course the State Capitol Building. So many architectural touches and concepts that it deserves its own Discovery Channel feature.

Photo 4: Kauikeaouli Hale, or the District Court Building, at 1111 Alakea. The stumper of the set, and how. Two of you got it, though. Most common guess? The Honolulu Municipal Building. A couple of you also guessed the Kuhio Federal Building on Punchbowl. I can see the similarity. Two ways to know this is District Court? The Municipal Building doesn't have the overhang element, and you can see a downtown highrise reflected in the windows.

Photo 5: Why, Honolulu Hale of course. The roof, the Spanish architecture, it should be as familiar as the State Capitol. See the tower in the shot? It always reminds me of Andy Mirikitani in exile. Most interesting guess? "Roof of the Our Lady of Peace Cathedral."

By all rights, the Municipal Building should have been a photo in this set, especially if "Capitol District" was my theme. But I wanted something outside that to shake things up. The Municipal Building is an interesting animal, too. Did you know its "earthquake proof" design meant that every floor had an gentle arch/slope to it? If you had an office on an end (as my dad did), you needed to prop up some of your furniture!

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

27 pts.: Scrivener
26 pts.: Mel
21 pts.: Zztype
20 pts.: Pomai
18 pts.: AbsolutChaos
14 pts.: Helen
13 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick
6 pts.: Linkmeister

New game, next post!

pzarquon
November 29th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Here's Honolulu Zoom Game 6!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game6.jpg

Send your answers or guesses to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 2. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

scrivener
November 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Photo 4: Kauikeaouli Hale, or the District Court Building, at 1111 Alakea. The stumper of the set, and how. Two of you got it, though. Most common guess? The Honolulu Municipal Building. A couple of you also guessed the Kuhio Federal Building on Punchbowl. I can see the similarity. Two ways to know this is District Court? The Municipal Building doesn't have the overhang element, and you can see a downtown highrise reflected in the windows.
Awww, phooey. The courthouse building was my first guess, but I was running an errand on South Street, so I parked the car next to the Advertiser Building, crossed the streets, and stood right in front of the Municipal Building, saying to myself, "This is it." I hate it when I outsmart myself.

Or outdumb myself. Whatever.

I thought your dad was a State employee.

Pomai
November 29th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 5!

That overhang puzzled me indeed. I was one who thought it was the Municipal Building, yet my photographic memory questioned any overhang ever being there.

Hey, choosing a building "way out" on Alakea st. is no fair! Oh yeah.. the downtown highrise reflection.. Ahah! Uhuh.. err.

Still, this one was certainly the easiest yet. Enough that I didn't have to drive or walk around in order to identify 4 of 5, plus the accepted "theme" correctly.

tutusue
November 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM
[...]Still, this one was certainly the easiest yet. Enough that I didn't have to drive or walk around in order to identify 4 of 5, plus the accepted "theme" correctly.
Easy, indeed. I didn't even have to play to score 5 points. :p I wonder what Palamakid didn't do to score 3 points :D I like this game!

pzarquon
November 30th, 2005, 07:31 AM
The overhang was key, I knew. If I'd cropped any lower, it would have been nearly impossible to distinguish from the Municipal Building. I need to take another look at the federal building on Punchbowl. I'm curious about just how similar the architecture might be.

Easy, indeed. I didn't even have to play to score 5 points. I wonder what Palamakid didn't do to score 3 points. I like this game!Heh. That's one way to look at it. You're guaranteed those 5 total points for the rest of this game!

I thought your dad was a State employee.He's been an everything employee!

tutusue
November 30th, 2005, 08:00 AM
[...]
Heh. That's one way to look at it. You're guaranteed those 5 total points for the rest of this game!
Now I like this game even more! I might even play it sometime!

He's been an everything employee!
And, not a bad dancer...at least that's how I remember it from the late 1980s...or was it early 1990s? <shrug!> :D

Palama Kid
November 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I wonder what Palamakid didn't do to score 3 points :D I like this game!
Truss me, this is on the up-and-up . . . at least in my case.

Look it up. My tree points came from my only entry into this game involving the Ala Moana Center.

Obviously, being away for over 30 years doesn't help me in this game. I am embarrassed though. The photos included some of my 1950's childhood haunts. Aaah . . . the memory fades.

Palama Kid

tutusue
November 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Truss me, this is on the up-and-up . . . at least in my case.

Look it up. My tree points came from my only entry into this game involving the Ala Moana Center.
[...]
Huh? You got your points...honestly?! I will now hang my head in shame. :o

pzarquon
December 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
Huh? You got your points...honestly?! I will now hang my head in shame.So did you, Tutusue! (Ala Moana round.) And who knows how many games are left, so sharpen those eyes and get guessing!

Today's the last day for Game 6! Answers by 8 p.m., please. I think I'm going to bed early tonight. :)

tutusue
December 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
So did you, Tutusue! (Ala Moana round.) And who knows how many games are left, so sharpen those eyes and get guessing!

Today's the last day for Game 6! Answers by 8 p.m., please. I think I'm going to bed early tonight. :)
Yep! I remember recognizing the Ala Moana theme during an attack of insomnia one night! Don't think the insomnia hit during the government building game. As for game 6...I'll quit while I'm ahead! ;)

helen
December 2nd, 2005, 12:31 PM
There is no penalty for making the wrong guess, also keep in the mind that the theme is also worth a point too and so far for me that has been the easy part.

pzarquon
December 2nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 6!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game6answers.jpg

The Theme: "Famous Signs." I was really looking forward to this set, but ran out of time and didn't get several of the entries I might have included. The neat bit is, a couple of you guessed at signs that I was hoping to use. For what it's worth, the original theme was "neon signs," so some entries that were in my head but not in my camera included the Queen Theater on Waialae and City Mill on Nimitz... and doesn't Sekiya's in Kaimuki have a distinctive sign, too? I never made it there. Alas, the Flamingo Chuckwagon sign is long gone. Several movie marquees were under consideration, but most of my favorites were also long gone.

Photo 1: McCully Chop Sui at McCully and S. King St. Scrivener reports it's one of his favorite Chinese restaurants, which makes me ashamed to say -- despite having spent much of my youth stomping around Mo`ili`ili -- that I've never been there.

Photo 2: Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu! I actually had second thoughts about this one when I realized that they'd put up a brand new sign. Still, the original design was clearly reproduced faithfully, and I guessed that this would be the giveaway. I was completely wrong. Only three folks correctly got it, though I got several, "Ooooh, I SWEAR I should know this one!"

Photo 3: This one turned out to be the easiest of the bunch. And here I was worried I cropped too tight. Yep, it's the sign for Likelike Drive Inn on Keeaumoku.

Photo 4: This was the one that broke my "neon" theme, reducing it to "famous signs" or even just "signs" (which is plainly obvious, but I was feeling generous). This is the Hawaiian Rent-All (http://www.hawaiianrentall.com/) marquee at the corner of McCully and Beretania. Sadly, the current sayings and slogans they're putting up now are nowhere near as original and clever as I remember them being as a kid.

Photo 5: It's the Varsity Theatre on University. I so love this theater, and my parents' stories of attending UH classes held there. When other historic movie theaters in Honolulu started dropping like flies a few years back (Kuhio Twins, Kapiolani, Cinerama, and of course Waikiki), I was sure of the Varsity's impending demise. It's still there, though. For how long? Who knows.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

33 pts.: Scrivener
28 pts.: Mel
25 pts.: Zztype
22 pts.: Pomai, AbsolutChaos
18 pts.: Helen
15 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
10 pts.: Linkmeister
9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick
7 pts: 1stwahine

New game, next post!

pzarquon
December 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 7!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game7.jpg

Send your answers or guesses to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 5. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

mel
December 3rd, 2005, 03:00 AM
Yep, it's the sign for Likelike Drive Inn on Keeaumoku.

This is the Hawaiian Rent-All (http://www.hawaiianrentall.com/)

This was the most difficult of the picture series so far, at least for me. I rarely go to most of these places, except for LikeLike Drive In, which I offer this night shot: Likelike Lighted Up (http://macpro-neighborhood.buzznet.com/user/?id=560132)

As for Hawaiian Rent-All, we've all passed this place many times, usually in a rush in traffic only. The place was sold a few years ago and I guess the new owners don't have too many whimsical things to say as the previous one.

I am going to have to get a night shot of that Leonard's Bakery sign. That looks very interesting by day, must be neat at night.

I've only seen the Varsity mostly at day, so I cannot even remember if the neon lights up at night. It is too bad that many years ago the theater was split in two. Would have been better if it was one single big screen... but we know big single screen theaters don't make money and chopping it in two will not help it in the long run as several developers who want to redo this area have other plans for the property.

Linkmeister
December 3rd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Arrrrgh! I called it "University Theater!" I know better than that @!*#$!

Pomai
December 3rd, 2005, 07:43 AM
At first glance I thought the theme was "Kapahulu Avenue". I thought that the Like Like sign was Rainbow's Drive-inn sign. This, because I "kind of" recognized the Leonard's Bakery arrow. When I showed a print-out of the photo set to my co-workers, they immediately corrected me and said it was Like Like Inn. They had no clue what the other photos were. Damned it PZ!

So I drove down Koreamoku to confirm, and sure enough it was Like Like. But nothing else on the puzzle was located on Keeaumoku. That's when I gave up looking. Once I realized this picture set was spread out all over town that was it.

It's just too dangerous for me to drive around Honolulu, while at the same time trying to look up at buildings. I need to pay attention to the lolo drivers on the road.

Anyhow, my co-worker started taking photos around town with his 12x optical zoom Canon PowerShot S2 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/) and making his own Zoom game for us. Good fun! I think I'll have to upgrade my budget PowerShot A510 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona510/) to an ultra-zoom model.

Thanks PZ for such a fantastic game concept!

pzarquon
December 5th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 7!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game7answers.jpg

The Theme: "Places of Worship." Or "Churches." Or even "Facilities of a Religious or Spiritual Nature." I wasn't sure how to cover them all with a PC phrase, but if you were in the neighborhood, you got the point. Easiest theme yet, I think! True fact: I took eleven photos for this set. All over the island. But very few were distinctive enough, in my mind, to include as one of the five.

Photo 1: I started with the stumper... although if you drove into Kailua often over the Pali, you'd probably know this one. This is Kailua Baptist Church, right on Kailua Road about a half mile past St. Francis on the left. At least in my mind, this structure was always relatively distinctive. But it's definitely the smallest building in this group! Not a single person got it. Maybe I should have left Central Union Church in, instead!

Photo 2: By contrast, everyone got this one. Yes, it's Kawaihao Church, across from City Hall and the Hawaii State Library. Notes Pomai, it's "notable for the hand-quarried coral bricks that make up the main structure."

Photo 3: It's the Cathedral Church of St. Andrew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Andrew%27s_Cathedral,_Honolulu) at Beretania and Queen Emma streets. There's a great write-up about the cathedral, complete with QuickTime 3-D tours, here (http://starbulletin.com/2004/03/14/travel/story1.html) on the Star-Bulletin site.

Photo 4: It's the Honpa Hongwanji Mission Hawaii Betsuin (http://www.hongwanjihawaii.com/honpa/templeDetail.asp?templeID=28) on Pali Highway. Many of you got this one, but as I expected, a few of you guessed the temple tucked in the curve of Lunalilo Freeway, which you see on the right heading east just before the Punahou Street offramp. But c'mon, that one's pink!

Photo 5: It's the St. Augustine Church (http://www.smcenter.org/staugustine/) in the heart of Waikiki. A beautiful building in a bustling tourist mecca. I keep wishing there had been a way for the church to survive without building an ABC Store and other businesses on its front doorstep (blocking the front of the church from Kalakaua Avenue, and Waikiki beach).

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

37 pts.: Scrivener
33 pts.: Mel
30 pts.: Zztype
27 pts.: Pomai
26 pts.: AbsolutChaos
22 pts.: Helen
17 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
9 pts.: Tutusue, Glen Miyashiro, Dick
7 pts: 1stwahine

New game, next post!

scrivener
December 5th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Photo 1: I started with the stumper... although if you drove into Kailua often over the Pali, you'd probably know this one. This is Kailua Baptist Church, right on Kailua Road about a half mile past St. Francis on the left. At least in my mind, this structure was always relatively distinctive. But it's definitely the smallest building in this group! Not a single person got it. Maybe I should have left Central Union Church in, instead!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I did not get this one, but it was NOT a stumper! I KNEW this was Kailua Baptist! I am a Southern Baptist (as I've confessed in the past) and there are two Southern Baptist church-buildings on the island with roofs that look like this. Kailua and Pearl Harbor (where I was baptized, behind the Salt Lake Library). They had the same architect, and the roofs are designed to look like the cliffs of the nearby mountains. The only reason I didn't say Kailua Baptist is that it's not in Honolulu! :) I hate myself!

Pua'i Mana'o
December 5th, 2005, 09:18 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I did not get this one, but it was NOT a stumper! I KNEW this was Kailua Baptist! I am a Southern Baptist (as I've confessed in the past) and there are two Southern Baptist church-buildings on the island with roofs that look like this. Kailua and Pearl Harbor (where I was baptized, behind the Salt Lake Library). They had the same architect, and the roofs are designed to look like the clifs of the nearboy mountains. The only reason I didn't say Kailua Baptist is that it's not in Honolulu! :) I hate myself!

not to jump too far off on tangent, but how similar are Hawaii's Southern Baptists to the traditions and beliefs of the SBs from the South™?

pzarquon
December 5th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 8!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game8.jpg

I'm making this one a little tricky. The theme is more than just "buildings." You need to tell me, why these five structures specifically?

Send your answers to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 8. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

Only a few games left, folks! If you don't know, start guessing!

scrivener
December 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Off Topic Warning

not to jump too far off on tangent, but how similar are Hawaii's Southern Baptists to the traditions and beliefs of the SBs from the South™?
Well, as you probably know, the reason the Southern Baptists split from the American Baptists was over the issue of slavery, so it really depends on what you mean by "traditional," because even traditional SBs aren't that traditional!

But to answer your question the way you intend it, doctrinally there is very little difference, 'though there has been a philosophical shift in the Southern Baptist Convention over the past twenty years, moving (in practice, not in doctrine) from moderate to conservative, or from conservative to fundamentalist, depending on how you define terms. However, practical and philosophical changes have slowly resulted in doctrinal changes, especially with regard to the "inerrancy" of the scripture. There has been much conflict over these issues, but we in Hawaii have kept ourselves pretty far removed.

Some say the conservatives have returned the Convention to its "traditions," but most of the people I know say that the Convention has abandoned its traditions. I'll be happy to discuss this further and in more detail in another thread (or on another website (http://www.hawaiibeliever.com) if you wish!

pzarquon
December 5th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I am a Southern Baptist (as I've confessed in the past) and there are two Southern Baptist church-buildings on the island with roofs that look like this. Kailua and Pearl Harbor (where I was baptized, behind the Salt Lake Library). They had the same architect, and the roofs are designed to look like the cliffs of the nearboy mountains.I did not know this! Very interesting. Is this it (http://www.fsbcph.org/), or is it another church?

Were the buildings similar enough, I would've been happy to give you the point... had your guess actually been the Pearl Harbor Baptist Church. Alas, it wasn't. :p

Pua'i Mana'o
December 5th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 8!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game8.jpg

I'm making this one a little tricky. The theme is more than just "buildings." You need to tell me, why these five structures specifically?

finally, an easy one! Cause they all look crooked enough to lose a balcony or two in the next windstorm!! :eek:

oh crap. I stare bleakly at all these pics in this thread, since I don't recognize nuthin', whether its a close-up or a pan-back. (oooh, star! Come to find out, its a star on a bldg that I still don't know where zit at!)

</b*tchin>

[kicks dirt]

scrivener
December 5th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah, that is it, but a side view would give you a better look. It's very, very different from the Kailua building, but it's obviously built with the same theme in mind!

Pua'i Mana'o
December 5th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Off Topic Warning

Well, as you probably know...

really, I do not know much about the differences or the history. It is a recent fascination of mine, and I would happy to learn more about it. :)

thanks, Scriv.

Linkmeister
December 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I did not get this one, but it was NOT a stumper! I KNEW this was Kailua Baptist! I am a Southern Baptist (as I've confessed in the past) and there are two Southern Baptist church-buildings on the island with roofs that look like this. Kailua and Pearl Harbor (where I was baptized, behind the Salt Lake Library). They had the same architect, and the roofs are designed to look like the cliffs of the nearby mountains. The only reason I didn't say Kailua Baptist is that it's not in Honolulu! :) I hate myself!

That will be 10 Hail Marys as penance. :D

Pomai
December 6th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Going out of Honolulu area and into (in this case) Kailua is more than being a stumper, it's changing the overall topic of the game. Unless you're gonna' rename the game, "Oahu Zoom".

No fair! I going tell yo' maddah!.. whaaahhh.. whaaahhh. :D

The theme was certainly the easiest yet.

If the game were called "Oahu Zoom", it'd be neat to do one on beaches and lookouts. Like Pali Lookout, Tantalus, Chinaman's Hat, Sunset, Chun's Reef, Makapu`u.. that 'kinda stuff. :cool:

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 7!

Photo 1: I started with the stumper... although if you drove into Kailua often over the Pali, you'd probably know this one. This is Kailua Baptist Church, right on Kailua Road about a half mile past St. Francis on the left. At least in my mind, this structure was always relatively distinctive. But it's definitely the smallest building in this group! Not a single person got it. Maybe I should have left Central Union Church in, instead!

pzarquon
December 6th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Going out of Honolulu area and into (in this case) Kailua is more than being a stumper, it's changing the overall topic of the game. Unless you're gonna' rename the game, "Oahu Zoom".You know what? This is a good point. I called it "Honolulu Zoom" simply because "Hawaii Zoom" was too broad... and I was thinking, "Honolulu County," as in all of O'ahu. I'd hoped since the inception to include stuff from other areas, other neighborhoods (hence some of you expressing fears of a Mililani edition).

I guess it's just chance that the sets so far have been limited to some definition of "town," so I apologize for the confusion.

Instead of venturing further out, maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead! :)

pzarquon
December 8th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Answers for Game 8 due tonight! And at least one of you got the full theme, so the baseline has been set.

I think our next game will be our special, not Honolulu (or O`ahu) edition.

pzarquon
December 8th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 8!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game8answers.jpg

The Theme: I decided to be a stickler on this one. It's "Tallest Buildings in Hawaii." Not condos (the First Hawaiian Tower isn't residential), not "ugly buildings" (c'mon, they're not all ugly!), not "weird architecture" (though I guess they might qualify). Depending on who is doing the measuring, and whether you count spires or other structures or only usable floors, the order of these buildings might vary… but they're definitely in the top ten overall. My chosen source is the Emporis (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/?id=102596) site, formerly Skyscrapers.com, to which I contributed photos once upon a time. Note that I decided to lump Hawaiki Tower with Nauru Tower, though they're not the same height. They're part of the same complex (404 Piikoi), and anyway, they looked too much alike to be any fun.

Photo 1: First Hawaiian Center (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=128723), 999 Bishop Street, 429 feet tall, completed in 1996.

Photo 2: Nauru Tower (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=128708), 1302 Ala Moana, 418 feet tall, completed in 1992. Related to Hawaiki Tower. And there's lots more coming. Hokua, which is coming up right next door, will be 418 feet tall when it's completed next year.

Photo 3: One Waterfront Tower (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=128717), South and Auahi Streets, 400 feet tall, completed in 1990. Some call 'em the paper clip buildings. My friends preferred 'King Kong's Urinals.' How quaint.

Photo 4: One Archer Lane (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=128733), 801 S. King Street, 400 feet tall, completed in 1998. Home of KITV, and apparently, a few ghosts.

Photo 5: Imperial Plaza (http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=128697), Cooke Street and Kapiolani Boulevard, 400 feet tall, completed in 1992.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

43 pts.: Scrivener
39 pts.: Mel
32 pts.: Pomai
30 pts.: Zztype, AbsolutChaos
25 pts.: Helen
17 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick, Tutusue
6 pts.: Paul Ogata

Welcome, Paul, to the game. Strong first round!

Game 9 is still under construction. Take five, everybody!

Pomai
December 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 8!

The Theme: I decided to be a stickler on this one. It's "Tallest Buildings in Hawaii." Not condos (the First Hawaiian Tower isn't residential), not "ugly buildings" (c'mon, they're not all ugly!), not "weird architecture" (though I guess they might qualify). [-----------] Game 9 is still under construction. Take five, everybody!In all fairness, if the theme was TALLEST BUILDINGS, then Aloha Tower should've been in the set. Aloha Tower held that title for a long time. Not currently, but still, a major point made by historians.

My first guess was Postmodern Architecture (buildings/highrises/skyscrapers).

Take 5? As in photos... clever! :D

mel
December 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Aloha Tower is only 10 floors up. It was long surpassed by whatever hotel in Waikiki became the first high rise, possibly the Ilikai, maybe the long gone Biltmore.

Just for the record the State of Hawaii Data Book states that Hawaiki Tower is the 5th tallest building in Honolulu (Hawaii) as of March 2005.

Pomai
December 9th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Aloha Tower is only 10 floors up. It was long surpassed by whatever hotel in Waikiki became the first high rise, possibly the Ilikai, maybe the long gone Biltmore.This is true.

Still, consider the fact that Aloha Tower was built in 1926 and wasn't out-"tallified" until the 60's. Quite a feat by today's standards. It was also pointed out that this was a historical reference. Not current.

Glad you mentioned the Biltmore Hotel. Apparently that structure was demolised by implosion. No? Before my time. The last implosion I can remember was the site of First Hawaiian Center. The only other implosion in Hawaii history that I can recall was Kaiser Hospital in Waikiki. Born there!

Speaking of tall, the new Freedom Tower replacing the demolished WTC will be quite an amazing structure.

Currently, the top tallest buildings in the world are:
1.) Taipei 101, Taipei, Taiwan, 1,670 ft.
2.) Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1,483 ft.
3.) Sears Tower, Chicago, 1,450 ft.

pzarquon
December 9th, 2005, 08:09 PM
All right, by request, a special edition of our "What & Where" photo game... Hilo Zoom!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game9.jpg

And yes, I know, one of these photos is totally, totally unfair. But frankly my photo of the Ken's House of Pancakes sign was just too easy. To make up for it, everyone who submits answers gets a free point -- there's no theme, apart from "Hilo" (thought I'd love to see if anyone can come up with one).

Send your answers to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 13. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line. As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

mel
December 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM
This is true.
Glad you mentioned the Biltmore Hotel. Apparently that structure was demolised by implosion. No? Before my time.

The Biltmore was blown up in 1974 to make room for the Hyatt Regency twin towers that occupy the space today.

Pomai
December 10th, 2005, 03:33 PM
The Biltmore was blown up in 1974 to make room for the Hyatt Regency twin towers that occupy the space today.

Blown up or imploded? Big difference! Terrorists blow things up. Technicians & engineers implode.

You know, I never heard of Biltmore until asking an elder about the history of implosions in Hawaii. I remember driving down Ala Moana Blvd. just after the First Hawaiian Center site was imploded. Dust everywhere. Otherwise just any other day.

Gosh, this next set called Hilo Zoom is tough for me. I'll have to ask my folks. They're both from Hilo and should recognize at least a few.

I'm looking forward to PZ's Oahu Zoom! You will make one, right? We know you. You sneaky buggah you. :rolleyes:

zztype
December 10th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Blown up or imploded? Big difference! Terrorists blow things up. Technicians & engineers implode.
Either way, go boom, fall down, no?? ;)

lurkah
December 10th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Either way, go boom, fall down, no?? ;)

That's what I love about pidgin, so succinct (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=succinct). :D

zztype
December 10th, 2005, 06:07 PM
That's what I love about pidgin, so succinct (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=succinct). :D
http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=44274&postcount=91

pzarquon
December 13th, 2005, 06:01 PM
One hour left to get your answers or guesses in for Game 9 (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpost.php?p=50381&postcount=76)! Remember, this one comes with a free point!

Maybe two or three games left, so go for broke! I'm thinking of coming up with an extra prize to be given randomly to someone with more than five points total, for those who just won't be able to catch up to scrivener...

pzarquon
December 13th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu... er, the Hilo Zoom special, Game 9!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game9answers.jpg

The Theme: Hilo. Happily, everybody got this one.

Photo 1: This is the Suisan building near the north end of Banyan Drive (85 Lihiwai St.), home of the famous Hilo fish auction. Mel posted this photo (http://macpro-hawaii.buzznet.com/user/?p=4&id=699213) last year.

Photo 2: This is the photo I said was "is totally, totally unfair." It's the Mauna Kea Astronomy Education Center (http://maunakea.hawaii.edu/), part of the incredible University Park development above the UH Hilo campus where over half a dozen prestigious scientific and educational institutions have set up shop. Turns out more than a few of you got it, or at least described it well enough. A couple of you recognized it from my photo gallery (http://www.lightfantastic.org/gallery/200511/20hilotrip08) and moblog (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/65296313/in/dateposted/). I swear, when I saw this building, I kept rubbing my eyes... it looked so fantastical, my brain insisted it was just some model for a science fiction film.

Photo 3: This is the historic S.H. Kress Company building (174 Kamehameha Avenue), currently home to Wallace Kress Cinemas and previously home of the Kress department store. Mel shares his memories: "Spent a lot of my childhood going to this store, visiting the talking mynah bird, "Joe" and taking in the taste and smell of the color coated popcorn. They also had a great soda fountain."

Photo 4: This scupture stands in front of Campus Center and the Edwin H. Mookini Library at UH Hilo. It's supposed to evoke the letters "UHH." I don't have the artist or name of the work handy. I do have, however, this photo (http://www.lightfantastic.org/gallery/200207/27uhh6) of my daughter with it from 2002. She was three and a half. My how time flies!

Photo 5: This was the second-hardest photo, but a few of you got it (or at least described its location well enough). It's the old Hilo Ironworks building (1266 Kamehameha Ave.), near Manono/Lihiwai streets on the Wailoa River. Did you know there's an art gallery in there (http://www.artintheironworks.com/)? It provides some history of the building (http://www.artintheironworks.com/About). Mitchell had the most interesting guess: "The Kitagawa family grave at Dodo Mortuary."

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

46 pts.: scrivener
44 pts.: mel
35 pts.: Pomai
34 pts.: AbsolutChaos
32 pts.: zztype
29 pts.: Helen
19 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
11 pts.: Paul Ogata
10 pts.: Linkmeister, Tutusue
9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, dick, 1stwahine

New game, next post!

pzarquon
December 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 10!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game10.jpg

Send your answers to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 16. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

scrivener
December 13th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Photo 4: This scupture stands in front of Campus Center and the Edwin H. Mookini Library at UH Hilo. It's supposed to evoke the letters "UHH." I don't have the artist or name of the work handy. I do have, however, this photo (http://www.lightfantastic.org/gallery/200207/27uhh6) of my daughter with it from 2002. She was three and a half. My how time flies!
I hate myself. This was my guess, and then I changed it to something else with minutes to spare before the deadline. Gr!

Photo 5: This was the second-hardest photo, but a few of you got it (or at least described its location well enough). It's the old Hilo Ironworks building (1266 Kamehameha Ave.), near Manono/Lihiwai streets on the Wailoa River.
I loathe myself. Actually, not that much. But I did recognize this building! It was my guess for the Kress Building, actually.

And you know, I recognized the Kress Building, too, but I thought they redesigned the exterior and that it no longer had an old look about it. Oh well!

Great game. It's fun to be a contestant!

pzarquon
December 16th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Great game. It's fun to be a contestant!And what a contestant you're turning out to be!

This evening is the deadline for Game 10! "Zoom" in your answers or guesses by 8 p.m.! (Okay, 8:02 will be fine, too.)

Surfingfarmboy
December 16th, 2005, 07:04 AM
You know...I have to put a better showing than I have. I may not win this marathon, but I want to finish the race strong..on my own two feet...not crawling across the line like some I've seen do at the end of 26.2s

Any idea where I can get someone downtown to make a color print of today's pictures? I need some sort of reference when I'm out and about today, searching for clues.

I'll be enjoying a vegetable tofu noodle at Ba-Le at the Fort St. Mall today around 11:00 or so if anybody cares to join me...look for the farmer in the black t-shirt covered by a new pair of Key bib overalls.

"Key Overalls--The Aristocrat of Overalls"!

Randy

pzarquon
December 17th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 10!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game10answers.jpg

The Theme: Kapiolani Boulevard. All right, technically, the addresses for some of these are on other streets (Ward Ave., Kalakaua Ave.), but they're all bordered by, and prominent landmarks along, Kapiolani Boulevard.

Photo 1: A few of the regulars to HawaiiThreads.com know this building well, even if they're not playing the game. This is the historic Advertiser Building at 605 Kapiolani Blvd., at the intersection with South Street. Here's a great write-up (http://starbulletin.com/2004/05/23/travel/story1.html) on the building from the Star-Bulletin's "Holoholo" historic Honolulu series.

Photo 2: This is the saucer-shaped Blaisdell Arena, at the corner of Kapiolani Blvd. and Ward Ave., host to many famous and infamous events, including last week's Motley Crue concert. Here's the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Blaisdell_Center).

Photo 3: This is the Hawaiian Life Insurance Building at 1311 Kapiolani Blvd., built in 1954 and remembered by many of you as the former site of the Radio Free Music Center. And yes, it is also the home of the International Mid-Pac College (http://www.impachawaii.com/home.htm). I'd never heard of it.

Photo 4: This is the Pacific Guardian Tower at 1440 Kapiolani Blvd. One of a handful of buildings in town with that purple, marble, demented Batman universe look. One of you described this building perfectly... then changed your answer at the last minute to a building across the street. D'oh!

Photo 5: Yes, the photo no one missed, it's the Hawaii Convention Center (http://www.hawaiiconvention.com/index.cfm?page=general&header=navcenter) at the corner of Kapiolani Blvd. and Kalakaua Ave. Tough to miss. You may remember the center from its recent cameo appearance on ABC's "Lost," playing the part of the Sydney International Airport.

Three of you swept this round, nabbing the full six points. And, this is the first round that our former champion Scrivener missed, leading to his overthrow as our point leader. With only a couple of games left, the battle for the top spot is still wide open, and some newcomers are making great late strides into the middle of the pack.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

48 pts.: Mel
46 pts.: Scrivener
41 pts.: Pomai
40 pts.: AbsolutChaos
35 pts.: Zztype
30 pts.: Helen
19 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
17 pts.: Paul Ogata
9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick, 1stwahine

New game, next post!

pzarquon
December 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 11!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game11.jpg

Send your answers to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 20. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

pzarquon
December 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Answers and guesses for Game 10 due tonight! One, possibly two, games left in me, so be there or be square.

I'll be out tonight, so don't wait up for scores and answers. Check in tomorrow, or post as you like after 8 p.m.!

scrivener
December 20th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I think I'm getting a six on this one. Anyone else?

helen
December 20th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Unless 2 the of these places are known as no idea, I doubt it I will get all 6 answers.

zztype
December 20th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Spoiler!!!
i Think They're All The Same Place!!!

pzarquon
December 21st, 2005, 06:17 AM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 11!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game11answers.jpg

The Theme: “Bishop Museum (http://www.bishopmuseum.org/) was founded in 1889 by Charles Reed Bishop in honor of his late wife, Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop, the last descendant of the royal Kamehameha family. The Museum was established to house the extensive collection of Hawaiian artifacts and royal family heirlooms of the Princess, and has expanded to include millions of artifacts, documents and photographs about Hawai‘i and other Pacific island cultures.”

Photo 1: This is the Rapa Nui (Easter Island) stone idol or statue situated in front of the museum itself... essentially, in the grassy area bordered by the driveway and front parking lot. See the campus map (http://www.bishopmuseum.org/visitors/campus/campusmap.html) for the tiny little statue icon. I can’t remember if it was this statue or a second statue was previously located inside the campus on the “great lawn,” so I made sure to include some of the Jabulka Building in the background. I also don’t think it always had the white eyes in place.

Photo 2: I actually thought I might be a stickler on this one. What you’re looking at is the observatory roof, not the Jhamandas Watamull Planetarium (http://www.bishopmuseum.org/planetarium/planetarium.html). The planetarium is under a second larger, but lower, dome, and of course it doesn’t have a door. However, poking around the Bishop Museum website, it doesn’t look like they really distinguish between the two (since they’re adjacent and both part of the Jabulka Building). So, if you guessed either, you got the point.

Photo 3: “ Hawaiian Hall (http://www.bishopmuseum.org/visitors/campus/hawaiianhall.html) was the first official Bishop Museum building. Built from 1898 to 1903, this Victorian masterpiece is still the museum's premier gallery... Praised by contemporary newspapers as "one of the noblest buildings of Honolulu", the exhibition complex (and subsequent buildings) were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.”

Photo 4: “The Castle Memorial Building (http://www.bishopmuseum.org/visitors/campus/castle.html) started construction in 1988, and was dedicated on January 13, 1990. Castle Building is used as an exhibition area for the major traveling exhibits that Bishop Museum brings to the people of Hawai‘i.”

Photo 5: “The Bishop Museum’s Science Adventure Center (http://www.bishopmuseum.org/sac.html) is a gathering place for island residents and visitors to discover the natural wonders of Hawai‘i and the world through science exploration... This 16,500 square-foot facility adds a new dimension to the Museum by providing exhibits that are immersive and interactive -- with a strong emphasis on better understanding Hawai‘i’s environment.” This just opened last month, and we finally got to visit last weekend. Very impressive!

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

53 pts.: mel
52 pts.: scrivener
47 pts.: Pomai
45 pts.: AbsolutChaos
41 pts.: zztype
31 pts.: Helen
23 pts.: Paul Ogata
20 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick, 1stwahine

New game, next post!

pzarquon
December 21st, 2005, 06:22 AM
Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 12!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game12.jpg

And for those of you still thinking "Honolulu Zoom" means only the urban core of O`ahu, I'd just like to remind you that the scope can actually encompass the entire island.

Send your answers to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 24. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL. As you might guess, they might not be posted quite as quickly this weekend.

pzarquon
December 24th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Tonight's the deadline for Game 12! I think I've got one game left in me, to follow later this weekend. Remember, after 8 p.m., you can comment on the last game... but here's hoping y'all have much better things to do this Christmas Eve!

tutusue
December 24th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Tonight's the deadline for Game 12! I think I've got one game left in me, to follow later this weekend. Remember, after 8 p.m., you can comment on the last game... but here's hoping y'all have much better things to do this Christmas Eve!
Ok, I'll bite...
WHY only one game left in you?! If it's time constraints, I can understand that. Can't be lack of pictures. Huh uh...no way! If ya already answered a similar question...sorry! I didn't see it. However...inquiring minds wanna know. At least this inquiring mind does! Shoot...I loved that game. It continually showed me how uninformed and ignorant I am! :D

pzarquon
December 24th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I just figure the game should end eventually, at least this set. Rather than going on indefinitely (which would give us very high scores and a long wait to award prizes!). Soon we'd see 50 point gaps between players!

We've had several fun games on HawaiiThreads, and as we roll into the new year, I'd like to see others sprout up or return. I've got ideas, and I know several of our members doo, too. Most importantly, Honolulu Zoom will probably also return, someday, with another dozen or so rounds. You're right that the possibilities are endless.

pzarquon
December 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 12!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game12answers.jpg

The Theme: Historic Haleiwa! Or, I'd even take North Shore. I was worried venturing out of town would get me in trouble, but everyone who played got this right.

Photo 1: Why, it's the "Welcome to Historic Haleiwa" sign, of course! Someone correctly observed that this isn't one of the famous Haleiwa signs, the kind I wished I could have included, except that they kept getting stolen (http://starbulletin.com/2001/08/19/news/story7.html). I neglected to check if the one on the north entrance off the highway was still there, but I doubt it. As for this sign, if anyone knows the significance of the bird icon, I'd love to hear about it.

Photo 2: This is the "North Shore Marketplace" sign. Yes, there are a lot of signs in this set. But you know what? One of the unique things about Haleiwa is its signs. I'm pretty sure a neighborhood ordinance actually specifies that signs should be made of wood, or otherwise be generally "classier" than your typical business sign.

Photo 3: Everybody got this one! It's the "M. Matsumoto Grocery Store" sign, though most people come here for the shave ice (or ice shave to you Hilo folk). Often, the line snakes around the building and along the back of the gravel parking lot. I'm not much of an ice shave connoisseur, I guess, because I'm perfectly happy a few yards away at Aoki's. And the line is much shorter.

Photo 4: It's the "Anahulu Stream Bridge," a.k.a. the "Rainbow Bridge," a.k.a. the "Haleiwa Bridge," and the single most recognizable icon of the area, at least according to area residents, who use it in dozens of logos and photos. It's had better days, though, and in addition to being half boarded up because of structural work, it's covered with graffiti. A shame, that.

Photo 5: It's the "Waialua-Kahuku War Memorial," a.k.a. the "Haleiwa War Memorial," erected by the Lions Club in 1947, specifically honoring 16 men from the area who gave their lives in defense of our nation in World War II. I always thought the use of large metal ordnance as posts for the chain that surrounds it to be a nice touch.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

57 pts.: mel, scrivener
53 pts.: Pomai
51 pts.: AbsolutChaos
46 pts.: zztype
34 pts.: Helen
28 pts.: Paul Ogata
24 pts.: Surfingfarmboy

Yes, folks, we have a tie for first place. And technically, both Pomai and AbsolutChaos are within striking distance of the lead. New game, next post!

pzarquon
December 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 13! It's the last one I've got in the can, folks, so be sure to play this round!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game13.jpg

Once again, this set is not limited to "town." It was also an unexpectedly tricky one to pull together.

Send your answers to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 28. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

And... Mele Kalikimaka kakou!

Paul Ogata
December 26th, 2005, 02:42 PM
As for this sign, if anyone knows the significance of the bird icon, I'd love to hear about it.

Haleiwa, from "hale" or house, and "iwa" or the frigate bird, making the area the "house of the frigate bird." And that's the frigate bird on the sign.
(I'm only guessing. Just making tantaran.)

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

57 pts.: mel, scrivener
53 pts.: Pomai
51 pts.: AbsolutChaos
34 pts.: Helen
28 pts.: Paul Ogata

Yes, folks, we have a tie for first place. And technically, both Pomai and AbsolutChaos are within striking distance of the lead.

Personally, I'm hoping that somehow Mel, Scrivener, Pomai, AbsolutChaos, zztype and Helen become embroiled in an answer-stealing scandal which disqualifies them all. Hey, a boy can dream.

lurkah
December 26th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Haleiwa, from "hale" or house, and "iwa" or the frigate bird, making the area the "house of the frigate bird." And that's the frigate bird on the sign.
(I'm only guessing. Just making tantaran.)

No ack, brah. Try look: http://tinyurl.com/8nwka

Almost verbatim. :D Tantaran is always good.

Paul Ogata
December 26th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Huh? Oh, I was guessing that the bird on the sign is the `iwa. My notes I cribbed from a Google search. Or as Palani Vaughn would say: go`ogle.

And I always thought tantaran was bad. That's the word my mom always used to use when I ended up with a tankobu on my head after playing around. "See? You make tantaran, das why."

zztype
December 26th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Paul, you were correct, it is an 'iwa bird. That's what Lurkah said...you nailed it! Sometimes when tantaran, da bugga work out OK!

lurkah
December 26th, 2005, 10:18 PM
And I always thought tantaran was bad. That's the word my mom always used to use when I ended up with a tankobu on my head after playing around. "See? You make tantaran, das why."

Paul, it's really hard not to make tantaran when you have three giri giri like me. The tankobus I usually received after my dad chased me down while yelling, "You knucklehead kid!!" :o

pzarquon
December 29th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 13!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game13answers.jpg

The Theme: Hospitals or medical facilities. I actually took several photos that I ended up not using, including St. Francis on the Windward Side, Wahiawa General, even the Kaiser locations at Red Hill and across from McKinley High School. Interestingly enough, many of you guessed some of these anyway.

Photo 1: It’s the Straub King Street Clinic (Straub Clinic & Hospital (http://www.straubhealth.com/)) at 888 S. King St. When my family was with HMSA, we’d primarily go here. They’ve downsized considerably since, from what I’ve heard.

Photo 2: It’s the Kapiolani Medical Center at Pali Momi (http://www.kapiolani.org/facilities/pali.html) (98-1079 Moanalua Rd.), near Pearlridge across from Toys ‘R’ Us. I keep forgetting that this facility is part of the Kapiolani family, even though it has been for years. I had the Kaiser Honolulu Clinic queued up, as I mentioned, but dropped it in favor of this one, as both had similar rooflines.

Photo 3: It’s the Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children (http://www.kapiolani.org/facilities/children.html) (1319 Punahou St.). Two of our three kids were born here.

Photo 4: No one missed this one! It’s the Tripler Army Medical Center (http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/) (1 Jarrett White Rd.). Here’s the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripler_Army_Medical_Center), and here’s an Advertiser article (http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Sep/26/ln/ln55abob.html) about the debate over why it’s painted pink, even though the Star-Bulletin declared the question settled (http://starbulletin.com/1999/09/10/news/kokualine.html) years before.

Photo 5: It’s The Queen’s Medical Center (http://www.queens.org/) (1301 Punchbowl St.), and yes, the “The” is part of the official name. I volunteered here for two summers when I was in high school, one of them in ICU. My experiences here had a revolutionary effect on my outlook on life and death.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

61 pts.: Mel, Scrivener
58 pts.: Pomai
56 pts.: AbsolutChaos
39 pts.: Helen
34 pts.: Paul Ogata
26 pts.: Surfingfarmboy

And yes, folks, we once again have a tie for first place!

Good golly. Mel threw up his hands in resignation in his submission, but prematurely, as Scrivener also hit only four out of six points. Now what to do? Sudden death round for just Mel and Scrivener? One more full game for everyone (opening the possibility of another tie, of course)? A jan-ken-po showdown at midnight on Kapiolani Blvd.?

Surfingfarmboy
December 29th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Seeing how much I've enjoyed this game, and somewhat bummed to see it end...yeah, I know, it has to end sometime!...I vote for one more, fight to the finish, round of Zoom! (Between Scriv and Mel)

The "jan-ken-po I can show" elimination would be a blast though!

Pomai
December 29th, 2005, 09:15 AM
At first glance, photo #2 had me thinking of the Kaiser Permenante Honolulu Clinic (http://www.brucematsonco.com/projects-kaiserclinic.htm) on King and Pensacola. Similar staggered-wall architecture. But different wall texture and window hardware. Luckily with some research I got that answer correct.

#1 was a stumper for me. Submitted multiple Hospital names, including the correct one, but looks like no points for multiple guesses. Shucks. Oh well, 5 out of 6 ain't bad.

That Kapiolani St. midnight Jan Ken Po idea is a riot! New Year's eve perhaps? :D

pzarquon
December 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
All right, then, this is it. Thrown together over a lunch hour, it's a special, super-sized round of Honolulu Zoom, bonus Game 14.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game14.jpg

With eight photos, a total of nine points are up for grabs. Heck, a couple of other players could conceivably vault themselves into first place, solving our tie problem. I somehow doubt Mel or Scrivener will blow this game, so just in case, I'm also including the jan-ken-po element. Read carefully!

E-mail your answers to ryanozawa@gmail.com by midnight, Dec. 31, 2005. In addition to specifying the theme, please also include in your email one of the following words: rock, paper, or scissors. If there's a tie, I'm going to pit your jan-ken-po answers against each other. If those tie? Whoever got their answers in first wins.

And this is really, really the last round of Honolulu Zoom! Thanks for playing!

AbsolutChaos
December 29th, 2005, 02:46 PM
#1 was a stumper for me. Submitted multiple Hospital names, including the correct one, but looks like no points for multiple guesses. Shucks. Oh well, 5 out of 6 ain't bad.

I gotta hang my head in shame. I WORK at Straub, and that's the only one I didn't get this time. :p

scrivener
December 29th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I gotta hang my head in shame. I WORK at Straub, and that's the only one I didn't get this time. :p
All right, well, this isn't quite as shameful as that, but I actually drove down to Queen's and Straub and looked closely at the buildings before submitting my wrong guesses. I had hit Castle, Kaiser (both of 'em), Shriners, Kapiolani, and even Leahi, but by the time I got back into town, I'd run out of daylight and was looking at Queen's and Straub in darkness. Gr!

pzarquon
December 31st, 2005, 01:23 PM
Remember, deadline for the special bonus last round of Honolulu Zoom is midnight! I probably shouldn't mention this, but let's just say at this moment, our point leader is not anyone you might expect...

Paul Ogata
December 31st, 2005, 01:34 PM
but let's just say at this moment, our point leader is not anyone you might expect...

The Spanish Inquisition?

tutusue
December 31st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Remember, deadline for the special bonus last round of Honolulu Zoom is midnight! I probably shouldn't mention this, but let's just say at this moment, our point leader is not anyone you might expect...
OMG! My tongue-in-cheek answers are all correct? :D

Palama Kid
December 31st, 2005, 02:46 PM

I'm in the lead??? With tree points ???

Ummm . . . forgive me for doubting your imagination and intelligence, Pzarquon . . . I didn't think you took me seriously when I suggested you find some technicality to suspend a few people with more points, so I could move up in the rankings.

I'm flabbergasted that you would actually follow up and eliminate ALL the (cheating?) participants.

Arigato and salamat !!! Now, what do I win?

Palama Kid

tutusue
December 31st, 2005, 04:03 PM
I'm in the lead??? With tree points ???[...]

Palama Kid
Maybe you and I will end up in a tie for first place. Now wouldn't that be something?! I'll see you in Waianae at midnight! :D

helen
January 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM
Oh bummer I knew I forgot something by not sending the email for the last game.

kimo55
January 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

pzarquon
January 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Here is the answer key for the special, super-sized bonus round of Honolulu Zoom, Game 14!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/hosted/game14answers.jpg

The Theme: Bishop Street! Yes, Honolulu Zoom comes full circle, and ends where it began in downtown Honolulu. Game 1 was King Street (North and South, or ewa and Diamond Head), so Game 14 takes us mauka and makai on Bishop Street. The photos also progressed from Beretania down to Nimitz, so if you caught a few of these, you could easily find the rest. Er, or so I thought.

Photo 1: It's the Hawaiian Telcom Building (formerly the Verizon Building formerly the GTE Hawaiian Telecom Building) at 1177 Bishop Street. I always thought it'd be neat to see an artist's rendering of a cross section of this building, which has always stood out for its midsection -- several floors with no windows. It can't all be mainframes and switches in there, can it?

Photo 2: It's the old First Hawaiian Bank building at 1132 Bishop Street. I always wondered how easy it was to give directions to this place, seeing as how it's set back from Bishop quite a bit, and is bordered by Union Mall and Fort Street Mall -- both pedestrian thoroughfares. It's also a very interesting building in that it's well situated for high tech. Check out this article (http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2000/06/26/focus1.html) from PBN. Or this one (http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2004/07/12/daily12.html) on its nifty lighting system.

Photo 3: This sculpture at the corner of Bishop and Hotel, behind Pauahi Tower (1001 Bishop Street). It's... well, why not let Paul Ogata explain: "The sculpture/artwork outside of Best Sellers, by Sean Browne, in memory of Fred Kresser, president of Pacific Construction Co. Kresser was a key participant in the planning and development of Bishop Square. He was tragically killed in Singapore on January 25, 1983 before completion of Bishop Square... according to the plaque at the sculpture's base." A couple of you confessed seeing some rather suggestive things in this particular piece of art.

Photo 4: It's the Cades Schutte Fleming & Wright building right across the street, on the corner of King and Bishop streets. Also referred to as the Territorial Savings Building, or even the 24 Hour Fitness Building, the photo in the game is of the tall black tower that rises out of its mauka side... and I have no idea what the symbol is supposed to be. From King Street, the building is white with gold-tinted windows and, with the Australian Consulate inside, flies the Australian flag.

Photo 5: This is "Sun Disc," by Bernard Rosenthal of New York, which stands in front of the Financial Plaza of the Pacific -- better known as Bank of Hawaii's main branch and headquarters at the corner of King and Bishop streets. Mel calls it "The Big Moolah." I see cheese.

Photo 6: This is "What's Next," a sculpture by Jodi Endicott. It's a man seated at the bus stop on Bishop Street, in front of Jamba Juice and across from the First Hawaiian Tower, less than a few dozen yards from "Sun Disc." Until I took the photo, I never noticed the little mice on his shoulder. More than a few times I've watched people do a double take as they sit on the bench next to him. I mean, it. Learn more about "What's Next" and Endicott's other works (some of which you've seen around town) at her website (http://www.jodiendicott.com/).

Photo 7: It's the Alexander & Baldwin Building at 822 Bishop. There's a great write-up (http://starbulletin.com/2003/08/31/travel/story2.html) in the Star-Bulletin, which described it as "an architectural cornerstone of Honolulu's financial district, and one of the most successful mixtures of Asian and European adaptations in Hawaii."

Photo 8: It's the Dillingham Transportation Building at 735 Bishop. Once again, the Star-Bulletin supplies an excellent write-up (http://starbulletin.com/2003/08/24/travel/story1.html). "The building is a prime example of the kind of Mediterranean Revival/Italian Renaissance architecture that dominated large Hawaii buildings in the 1920s. Mediterranean and Spanish Mission architecture seemed tropical and appropriate to Hawaii's climate and the closest thing traditional European architecture had to offer Hawaii. Such buildings featured hipped roofs, arched arcades, ornately playful decorative motifs and a sense of airiness despite their solidity and bulk."

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

70 pts.: scrivener
69 pts.: mel
67 pts.: Pomai
65 pts.: AbsolutChaos
50 pts.: zztype
39 pts.: Helen, Paul Ogata
27 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
4 pts.: Palamakid

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Scrivener, take a bow. He held the lead for almost the entire game!

For what it's worth, it very nearly did come down to the jan-ken-po tiebreaker (and Scrivener would have taken that, too, picking rock over scissors), but Mel was vexed by "What's Next." But, he put in a valiant effort, one of a few of you to confess to making a special trip downtown for this last round. Also, Pomai and AbsolutChaos were really closing the gap these last few games (both got all nine points this round, along with Scrivener), making the finale a near photo finish!

I wish I could come up with something witty and eloquent to wrap things up, but frankly, it's been a long day. So I'll just say thank you. Thanks to Scrivener and Zztype for the inspiration, and thanks to all of you for playing along, making me think, and helping me look at my world a little more closely.

Scrivener will have first pick from our pool of Honolulu Zoom prizes! (Followed by Mel, and then Pomai.) Our gifts include a HawaiiThreads T-shirt, a $25 Longs Gift Card courtesy Surfingfarmboy, and a $10 online gift certificate to the iTunes Music Store courtesy Zztype. I'll also do a drawing in the next couple of days for a couple of bonus prizes, and anyone who has played will be eligible for those!

Happy New Year, everyone, and thanks again for a fun game. I hope another enterprising, creative `ohana member comes up with something soon, and with it, we'll finally set aside a special forum here in HawaiiThreads just for "the games we play." (Thanks to Zztype for the suggestion!)

I love you guys!

mel
January 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM
Congratulations to Scrivener!

Boy I hate to admit this, but I missed photo #6 in its total entirety even though I passed it like about 3 or 4 times during my search for it. I tend to ignore all people sitting at bus stops, which means I thought this was a real person. So I never bothered. Looks like a typical homeless person who staked out his place.

BTW, when was this put in? It wasn't there in the 1980s when I used to catch the bus from a printing company I once worked at. Art... like I told PZ, "sometimes I can't understand it!" This one for sure because who would have thought art would occupy a public space that was... well... so public!

And I even took a picture of the big moola and the B of H building directly across from it on the First Hawaiian Bank side.

The game was fun nevertheless. It makes us aware of the many otherwise hidden things that are all over the city.... and state.

Have a great 2006 folks!

miwa
January 1st, 2006, 04:46 PM
Congratulations to Scrivener! Although I didn't participate in this game, I enjoyed following along. I am impressed at the participants' dedication and enthusiasm and absolutely enjoyed reading everyone's comments. :)

AbsolutChaos
January 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM
Ah, so close! :eek:

Congrats to the winners and all the players! :)

scrivener
January 1st, 2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the great game, Pz. That was a lot of fun, and one of the best things about a rough semester for me.

Congratulations to all the losers, too!

We need a new game!

Paul Ogata
January 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM
Wow that was fun! Wish I'd jumped in at the beginning. Big ups to Scrivener...

Thanks, pzarquon!

What's next? Maybe some kind of Sudoku-thingie. I'm so chronic-ing on that right now.

Paul

lavagal
January 1st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Ryan:
Really nice photos throughout this game. Way to go. And way to go to Scrivener, Mel, all the rest of you guys. Notice I cut you one big ole break by not participating! I was so busy at work writing an annual report, etc., that I just had to let this one slide by.

But now I'm waiting and getting ready...what will HT come up with NEXT?!!

Surfingfarmboy
January 2nd, 2006, 01:34 AM
Congratulations to all the losers, too!

So I'm a "loser", huh? ;) Just kidding, Scriv. I see myself, to borrow a euphemism often used at marathons, as a "valiant runner-up"!

In any event, to the victors go the spoils...congratulations to you, Mel, and Pomai for a well played game.

And to PZ, I thank you for taking the time and effort to organize this very fun and unique Hawaii Threads contest, in which I increased my knowledge of a city love dearly, by participating in it.

Randy

mel
January 2nd, 2006, 04:59 AM
While looking for the items in the last game, one thing that I did notice is that the rectangular shaped, rotating sculpture in front of the Central Pacific Bank building at the corner of King and Alakea street is gone. Anyone know what happened to that?

1stwahine
January 2nd, 2006, 06:26 AM
Ok. Let the truth be told now. I stopped at nine because I wanted to give all you youngsters a chance to WIN!heheheh :p

Congrats Scriv! Game well played everybody. New Game ~ Chinatown Please? I'll smoke you all out! ROFLMAO :D

Auntie Lynn ;)

scrivener
January 2nd, 2006, 06:45 AM
While looking for the items in the last game, one thing that I did notice is that the rectangular shaped, rotating sculpture in front of the Central Pacific Bank building at the corner of King and Alakea street is gone. Anyone know what happened to that?
I noticed that, too, this past summer when I took pictures for the summer game. It was a solar-powered sculpture. Gone. Maybe it went to look for a sunnier spot.

Pomai
January 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
It would've been interesting if we had a bunch of ties, requiring a Jan-Ken-Po to the finish. Based on the proximity of the final scores, it likely would have been Mel vs. Scrivener for 1st and AbsolutChaos vs. Pomai (me) for 2nd.

So AbsolutChaos, what did you call? I called SCISSORS!

I too confess to actually taking a walk down Bishop street on New Year's eve. Hah! Kinda' eerie walking around there on a quiet holiday weekend. Parking my car in that empty municipal lot across the Hawaiian Telcom Building had me a bit nervous as well. It would have been so funny to bump into one of the competitors. Very obvious, with print-out of Zoom pictures in-hand.

That was indeed a fun game. Here's to more Zooms in '06!

AbsolutChaos
January 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
It would've been interesting if we had a bunch of ties, requiring a Jan-Ken-Po to the finish. Based on the proximity of the final scores, it likely would have been Mel vs. Scrivener for 1st and AbsolutChaos vs. Pomai (me) for 2nd.

So AbsolutChaos, what did you call? I called SCISSORS!

I do believe that I actually called rock--pzarquon might have to verify this for me, however. :-)

Pomai
May 20th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Ha ha! I bet you folks thought another new game was starting. :p

Actually, I'm just curious if PZ is getting a new shutter bug itch.

Or, shall the torch be passed to the last game's champion, Scrivener? Scriv' is an experienced photographer and would be the perfect guy!

I'd love to, but my Canon A510 doesn't cut the lens. If I decide to fork over for that new Canon 12xOptical Zoom Powershot S3 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp), I may give it a "shot".