New Movie: Pride and Prejudice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Movie: Pride and Prejudice

My teenage daughter and I saw the first show of P & P on Friday. It was a sold out show; thank goodness for Fandango. It's playing at select theaters this week, then opens nationwide next Friday.

This was truly a wonderful movie! In order to enjoy it, though, you would have to be able to view it with fresh eyes, unencumbered by constant reflections on the brilliant performances by Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, as well as those by the actors who played Mr. Collins & Lady Catherine, not to mention the detestable Mrs. Bennet... Ah, the BBC version.

Anyway, don't think about that version at all, and you will enjoy the lush romanticism of this new P & P. This is a 2-hour movie, and so it cannot flesh out the details of the various relationships and storylines that a 5-hour mini-series can. Instead, it focuses on the highlights of Austen's story and adds a gorgeous musical score that, with the beautiful photography, lovingly frames this movie. The performances were very good, and the actor who played Mr. Darcy was quite cute (and with fine eyes, might I add).

There were several extremely romantic scenes in which there were audible sighs from all of the women in the theater.

As for the movie critics, they are loving this movie. On the website rottentomatoes.com, a movie site in which they compile all of the movie reviews from sources such as USA Today, Washington Post, Roeper & Ebert, Rolling Stone, etc., 89% of the 96 reviewers recommended it:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pride_and_prejudice/

The movie website:

http://www.prideandprejudicemovie.net/splash.html
    Last edited by U'ilani; November 12, 2005, 04:25 PM.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen
Working...
X