Aloha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha

Just arrived, looking forward to reading and posting about everything Hawaiian... I've been dancing kahiko hula for about a year, and I am planning on moving to Hawaii in the next year or so. Love islands, lived in Jamaica for nine years. After many visits I realized Hawaii has all of the positive things Jamaica had with few of the negative things, (even Reggae music!!!). My main debate is which island to move to…have family on Big Island and friends on Kauai. Leaning toward Kauai…any advice.
    Last edited by greentara; November 13, 2005, 11:13 AM.
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Re: Aloha

Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads! I believe it's Kauai you're referring to. See you on the boards.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by sfhulagirl
      I've been dancing kahiku hula for about a year,
      Aloha and Welcome to Hawaii Threads! I believe it's Kalihi hula you're referring to. See you on the boards.

no, wait. It's kahili hula.

no, that's not it... how about hula kahiko?
      maybe? possibly? could be?
      no?

Comment

Well I'm off to a great start, that's what I get for not spell checking!!! Kahiko is correct and thank you auntie Lynn KAUAI it is - so where is the edit icon????
        "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by sfhulagirl
          Well I'm off to a great start, that's what I get for not spell checking!!! Kahiko is correct and thank you auntie Lynn KAUAI it is - so where is the edit icon????
          Aloha and Welcome!

The spelling is correct, but the word order is a little off. In the Hawaiian language, "the modified precedes the modifier." Thus, "hula kahiko" is correct, while "kahiko hula" is questionable.

Cheers,

Jonah K
          Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Gosh I can't imagine someone wanting to move from Jamica..lol. I have not lived on Kauai, my uncle has. He had to move because there wasn't enough jobs. That was a long time ago tho. I had lived in Hilo for 3 years. It took me 7 months to get a job there. Rent is slowly increasing on the Big Island in general. Are you planning on buying land? If so just make sure you understand that a lot of places still depend on water catchment. Also, in some areas there is no address rather just a key number pole..lol. One last thing it rains so much in Hilo, that there are A LOT of road closures. Some of them last the whole day/nite. Just really research your area. Having kids, I stayed in town. That way I can always get home without having to hang out on the road for hours because of the rain and such.

Good luck
            See Reny's Gallery For Great Stuff!

Comment

Many thanks for the advice Reny, nice to meet you. I fully intend to do all of the planning before I make the move - shipping car, finding job etc. I have a lot of varied skills so I'm not that concerned about finding work although I must say the wages are "shocking" after SF . After living in Jamaica nothing would surprise me regarding the road closures etc. BTW you can’t ever understand JA unless you live there – definitely not paradise. Not expecting Hawaii to be either, however, the culture is much different and due to my Portuguese heritage I will probably fit in there a lot better - visually at least…

Comment

Working...
              X